Walrus Myzozoa's Walrus and h8rs' Ball [Won by Yeti]

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
in a tie for 4th and 3rd dle and yeti

Outkast SpottieOttieDopaliscious

Kind of sparse instrumental coming off of other submits in this cat. Sparse vocals too, but the beat is correct. This feels hella marching band, and here we go with a slow rap. I really should not be surprised that DLE is nailing some rando life experience of mine in most of these tracks, I bet he doesnt even date ppl that aren’t from simi valley. This kind of goes on and on and has a dead sections round 4 minutes, but I’m also hella unchill. I thought this the most interesting submission compositionally/aesthetically. Lyrics are really good imo, reflective, vaguely autobiographical and the style is something I just don’t know of at all in pop music, beyond rick ross: the slow slow rap. 8.1/10

yeti

duran duran-rio

Fun beginning, super everywhere. Turns into a pretty sick beat. First male singer ive heard in a while that i didnt immediately go ‘hmph’. Not to fear tho yall: i was annoyed w him by the beginning of the second listen. Feel like ive heard this before. Lyrics are w.e. This track has excellent instrumentals across the board and (has a great part near the ending, which it unfort did not end on) yet it went on a bit long. chorus and vocal interpretation is a bit too campy for me, but there is so much good instrumenting on this track and the singing is not all bad. The part right before the last chorus, the last verse, is amazing. 8.1/10. Ok so it is not so much that the ending is not good, it just goes on a bit.

Myzozoa

in 2nd captkirby

valentine suite-colisseum

ck didnt send a youtube and i couldnt find one, but the take he sent was no joke.

This song reminds me of the doors fsr. Idk if it is that ck sent a really high quality of recording thru download link, but I def loved the sound. But also because this song is pretty dope. im not sure if it isn’t just kind of a long ass set of solos being traded, but w.e. The guitar kills it at all times, or at least the first 4:45. I lose track of him after that, and the vocalist returns. There is some not quite as exciting as the rest part, before the saxophone to take it to the end on growling solo. Def one of the most entertaining song submitted this round. 8.4

Myzozoa

so 1st:

Walrein
Walrein

The heavy-since youve been gone

I always like a song that kills it from verse 1. Where does it have to go from there? This band doesn’t articulate as a unit well enough on some unisons. Or maybe they need a braver uh sound engineer? Balance could be better somehow, like there are parts I want to be louder, so maybe it is just me? Actually my mine gripe is that this song is too short. Vocalist isn’t making errors, he also isn’t leading the ensemble from the front and the track DOES suffer for this at those parts where his leadership on a stylistic interpretation or some matter, is needed. :/ another one i had trouble giving a rating to. Ok the second listen for horns: it isn’t quite funky enough from whoever is leading their horn line from the trumpet, for my tastes. Drummer gave a really boring fill at a really exposed time for him, im gonna count it as a flub. Compositionally excellent, no other ‘flubs’ other than my nitpick. I also really like this song. 8.5/10

Myzozoa

standings after 3 rounds:

lw: 18.8
ck:8.4
koc:14.2
rodamn: 21.1
4maskwolf:8
dle:22.3
shubaka17: 19.7
billymills: 15.4
soulfly: 20.3
von:20.5
eagle4:20.4
snype: 18.8
asek:23.3
llamas:24.2
yeti: 24
walrein:22.6
pdc:10.9
texas: 23.3

cat 4 reveal is this evening, after 6 PM california time, more specific time to come when i finish listening to submits

btw i updated scores for cat 2 to reflect them being better than cat 3 and to put them in closer relation to songs of cat 1. so texas got a 9.5 for cat 2, the 2nd placers got 9.1 (below rodan's 9.2 submit in cat 1), and so on with diminishing increased points going down the places for cat 2 submits

Myzozoa

ur header

cat 4:

it's alive

"Carrie Brownstein: What a really sh*tty year it has been… in a lot of ways… but it’s over, right? This song (Bury Our Friends) is a little about looking backwards… we’ll look forward later in the night, but this is for all the friends and people we’ve lost this year.

This is one of the first times in many years that I have actually been out on New Year’s… Way past my bedtime right now… lol

Janet Weiss: Let’s kick some ass next year! We’ve got a lot of work to do! Don’t treat people like sh*t, alright? "

Last edited:

Myzozoa

and here we go in last place:

von fiedler

Jackson browne-load out/stay

Jesus 9 minutes. This is way worse than any infraction uve sent me

Oh god it’s gonna be 9 minutes of 60’s folk rock. You think i dont know what Jackson browne is?

Im not sure this isnt a long thank you to his roadies…

It just goes on and on

It seems to get going around 4 minutes.

By getting going, i mean it gets really obnoxious and country. Then it goes back to being boring.

2.5/10

Myzozoa

in 2nd to last:

walrein

San firmen-sonsick

Shitty balance on this live take. Vocalists flubbing right and left. Idk how you cant hear that walrein?

Like those are just flub. Like 50% of these chicks lit cannot sing.

Less flubs after 2:45, but still occasional.

Officially offended at this submit, did you listen to this?

I wanted to stop at 2 minutes.

It gets decent with the marching band, and the singers committing only the occasional flub after buckets to start with.

Myzozoa

next:

snype

Yanni- the rain must fall

Another long ass song with no vocals, do i have to listen to them all or can i give them the same score??

Super boring start, good thing i brought a spliff to sit thru the new age nonsense

Do do do didodo oooo-ooh-ooh

Where is my record deal

Also poor thing is playing on a yamaha

2:30... nothing new

officially offended

Wtf

There is bass solo at 5:00

Only interesting part

Fiddle at the end is okay too

Myzozoa

next

texas

A celtic woman- spanish lady
Texas is a 12 yr old girl yt girl that plays the oboe, or else he thinks i am one. I gave it a whole bonus point for being short. Best part was intro by brass choir, and then the string interlude. Basically wherever they weren’t singing.

Myzozoa

next:

lw

Digimon Medley - Animenz Live 2016 in Beijing(In Memory of Wada Kouji)

Ok this is 8 minutes long ty i guess

Also does anyone else hate the ppl who waive smart phones

Ok the piano player really does his best, and w.e piano model he is playing on im curious about because it sounds really great until the 4:30 where he flubs a couple times (4:34 and 5:00) lost focus. Rest of the performance as much weaker. 5.5/10 this looks really difficult to play tbh, i also just dont like the last 2 minutes as much as im supposed to i reckon. I find the final passages to be the weakest, unfortunately. And his hands feel disjointed at the end, maybe that is the intention. This was gonna get a slightly higher rating, but the ending is really eh, like it was pretty decent until it disappointed.

Myzozoa

next
4maskwolf
green day-bouldevard of broken dreams

Yay Green Day! Thats just what I wanted

Seems familiar, but it isn’t even the only good green day song (“when september ends”)

W.e it is def a green day song. The fact that this is tolerable speaks to how bad the live submits were. At least this sounds good, isn’t completely boring. Too bad he can’t sing. 6/10. If this ends up as a full play, well, ‘angst loves company’ is basically the green day motto…

Myzozoa

then a tie on 6.5

asek

Radiohead-idioteque
Oof thom yorke sounds okay singing this difficult part, but it sounds like work.

Yeah not digging it too much. It sounds much more whiny even than radiohead usually does, and it is probs intentional. The ending is fun. 6.5/10

DLE

Sylvan esso- coffee

A song called coffee… Ok this sounds like a New Bjork beat at the beginning, sparse. Not a huge fan of this singer, and her random lyrics. She never leaves her mid range. The beat kills at times. Overall just not that exciting or ambitious, kind of a lot of pretty and chill. 6.5. Not a lot of artists use aesthetics of routine.

Myzozoa

then moving long to:

shubaka17

Not a huge fan of his voice, and it is just a bit too pop-y, angsty, and boring

The 2nd verse gets better, as he has more of sense of humor. The saxophone adds something and the singing is not obnoxious, but the lyrics are 99% forgettable.

6.8/10

Myzozoa

now to the better songs:
yeti

metric-help im alive

Not quite there for me as far as balance goes, but that is to be expected on a live recording. Idk overall i find this song boring. The ending is wack? The part right before the ending is ok. I also liked the first 2 mins. Then there is like a ‘juxtaposition-y’ bridge for 20 seconds that is wack. I dont dislike this, i just dont think it all works. It just did not come off for me as a song, the transitions and changes are just awkward to me. There are some fun parts. 7/10.

Myzozoa

next

atomicllamas

nirvana-rape me

A nirvana song with a cringe-y title

Shocking

I like nirvana tho

Uh i mean, idk. It is a very good performance, i can’t really like listening to this because of the lyrics, but the song is pretty good. 7.2/10

Myzozoa

next soul fly

bohemian rhapsody

The video he sent in doesnt work in America rip, but I found an alternative.

Ok write up:

Omg its bohemian rhapsody

I recall that i made a conscious decision to not listen to this song anymore around when i turned 16.

I listened to it again to r8.

flawless performance, some of the vocals were better than studio version i have heard, and thank god they get through it in 5 and ½ minutes. Ill give it a bump just for being shorter than i expected.

Myzozoa

next koc
el fusilado-chumbawumba

A cappella short and sweet.

This is dope af.

7.6/10

hes tied with ck

on 7.6
jerry lee lewis- long tall sally
7.6 he does quite a bit w the vocals on this short and fun track.

Myzozoa

in third

pdc

portishead-mysterons

“Portishead! PDC you do not listen to portishead do you?” (is what i was always asked by adults, when I mentioned that I listened to them at your age)

This track has a nice spooky guitar line. And a bunch of synth drum machine work too. The singer adds her own spooky whines to the track. The lyrics would have done well as a lute submission, for me. The lyrics seem to comment on judgement and how people externalize responsibility: by bringing negative judgement against external things ppl can forget their own ‘crimes’.

I was really pleased to hear this song again, I don’t listen to triphop much these days. It’s not really a banger, but very interesting composition. It goes on a bit too long for me.

7.8/10

Myzozoa

in 2nd

Eagle4

kanye-mama

8/10

I’ve been watching Kanye my whole life, like his career timeline is my timeline of starting to listen to pop music as a child.

There is something that really bothers me about Kanye doing this at the Grammy Awards, which an institution that I really dislike, and I think he does to.

It’s like Amy Winehouse “back to black”, these songs feel cursed somehow.

Like I just wonder what it is about celebrity that sets up this moment where kanye’s grief becomes a spectacle for consumption.

I really like the modifications to the usual words of this song.

First time I listened to it, I couldn’t get over the actual context of the performance, and I was just gonna be kind of offended that someone that I would want to consume this.

It is more complicated than that, and this is still a really beautiful performance.

8/10 officially pander-capped

Myzozoa

in 1st again

RODAN

Very beginning is weak, but then it just to the point.

Love the ‘blue faces’ repetitions, track can speak for itself on the full play tbh.

Immediately downloaded, despite the weak ending and beginning on this live take. I got the jimmy fallon live version off of soundcloud downloader if anyone is curious.

9/10

Myzozoa

in last place walrein
Altj delta-matilda
Oh dear. W.e beginning. Then this singing. Oh no oh no. it doesnt seem to be about anything. It just says matilda, and this is for her i guess. Shit man, thanks for this submit?? At least the other songs in this walrus are memorable for various reasons, 2/10 you owe me (3x3=9) 9 minutes of my life back. Not sure how this is sad.

2/10

Myzozoa

next several ppl tied on 4/10:

Von

This is now Dreams Go By by Harry Chapin
Uh this is sad, but not for the usual reasons. More like the whole vision of spending ur life with one person and spending all ur time with them is scary af. And basically just the whole mind numbing ‘our dreams will be broken together by our shitty toxic combinations of behaviors’. Ok 4/10. I wanted to give it lower, but that would imply it is worse than other submits that it is not actually worse than. Maybe. I guess… remind me again why YOU think this is sad? There is no intentional sad here, just like wistfulness. it makes me annoyed.

snype

Last Resort - Papa Roach

O god. 4/10

and then Rodan

Bomb the music industry-stand there until ur sober

This was almost worse than snypes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)