SPOILERS! Mysteries and Conspiracies of Pokemon

The thing about Ash-Greninja's transfer potential is that it's not an inherently unique Pokemon. In HGSS they went out of their way to explain that they wouldn't let you trade it because it was affected by time travel with Celebi. Ash-Greninja is, lore-wise, a regular Greninja that happens to have a mental bond with the trainer to fuel the transformation. That said, the fact that it is acquired by transfer from the demo alone indicates that it can form this bond with different trainers, so it should be capable of making this link and becoming Ash-Greninja if transferred to a different generation.

The bank evidence is also a strong point as well, but I think a few details should be mentioned.

- Cosplay Pikachu was in the "remakes" for the gen, so there was unlikely to be a main title after wards for it to transfer forward to, while Ash Greninja came out in the first (possibly only?) main games of Gen 7, so there might not be a reason to restrict its transfer if they decide to arbitrarily make it exclusive.

- Ash-Greninja is very heavily associated with a different region than the one in which it made its game debut. Spike-Ear Pichu did debut in a Sinnoh work (Arceus movie), but it was honestly just kinda there and didn't tie into anything significant. Ash-Greninja's bond is parallel to AZ-Floette, and I recall it being mentioned/speculated it bore a resemblance to Infinite Energy like the Ultimate Weapon in Kalos. There's no lore justification for tying it strictly to Alola when Kalos already passed.

- Ash-Greninja is a promotion marketed as "look how strong and awesome this is" rather than a marketing gimmick and "trophy" mon. The Pikachu promotions are things mostly thrown out because GF insists on making sure you remember their mascot is relevant, and while Greninja is popular, he's not the face of the brand that GF can throw out a gimmick for so casually.

- Access to Ash-Greninja is theoretically unrestricted. The Pichu promotion came from getting a different event that has since ended, then bringing said event Pichu to the Ilex Forest to get Spiky Eared Pichu. It was promotional and not likely to be missed. Ash-Greninja on the other hand came from the demo, and thus should be available as long as the 3DS eShop is active (which means it will survive as long if not longer than Bank), so even late arrivals could come for it. It's also not some massive mechanic they ahve to explain like Mega Stones or Z-moves, it's one unique Greninja they could just toss in the way they do things like the Relic Song/Secret Sword tutors, the Reveal Glass, etc. Given the anime it could even tie into how they bring back the Zygarde forms.

Here's something I've been wondering for a while,

Since the jump to 3D models, why does Magikarp flop around on the ground

while all other fish pokemon just swim through the air?

So are the Pokeworld's oceans just made out of fizzy lifting drinks or something? And are Magikarp's just that much of a failure that they are the only ones that don't know how to telekinetically levitate themselves? I almost feel sorry for it now, it gets called useless for being the only fish that acts like a fish (instead of these non-Newtonian gravity-defying semi-amphibious wildlife).

I think my favorite is Sapphire's backhanded compliment that it can survive swimming in a toxic sea. You think you're not part of the problem Sapphire pokedex, but you are!

I guess that could make some weird sense. Most pokedex entries call Magikarp a poor swimmer, and that the good ones will climb a waterfall in an effort to evolve.

Since Gyarados has mastered the hover ability, we can infer that Magikarps' evolve when they get competent enough to swim through the air like all the other fish. Never would think that "poor swimmer" would mean "can't levitate themselves out of water" though. Swim meets must be tough in the pokemon world, I wonder if poke-Olympic swimmers have to swim through the vacuum of space?

Feebas messes with the theory though, as despite having battle capabilities similar to Magikarp it at least has mastered wingardium leviosa.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Here's something I've been wondering for a while,

Since the jump to 3D models, why does Magikarp flop around on the ground

while all other fish pokemon just swim through the air?

(...)

And are Magikarp's just that much of a failure that they are the only ones that don't know how to telekinetically levitate themselves?
Yeah, that's pretty much it. It's just to show how pathetic Magikarp is.

As for why all fish Pokemon are swimming in midair, it's just another metagame thing players have to accept. Unless they want all the fish Pokemon flopping on the ground, they just decided to better show off the Pokemon to have them be swimming in midair because otherwise there would be no way to have them battle properly (Magikarp only learns Splash, Tackle, Flail, & Bounce, all it can do while flopping around).

Feebas messes with the theory though, as despite having battle capabilities similar to Magikarp it at least has mastered wingardium leviosa.
Feebas isn't described as weak, just ugly. Actually Feebas is described to be hardy because it lives a rough life (though apparently it's not that smart).

Sapphire/Alpha Sapphire: While Feebas's body is in tatters, it has a hardy and tenacious life force that enables it to live anywhere. However, this Pokemon is also slow and dimwitted, making it an easy catch.
Platinum/Gen V: It is a shabby and ugly Pokemon. However, it is very hardy and can survive on little water.
Sun: A tough Pokemon that is perfectly fine even in dirty water. However, due to its ragged, shabby appearance, it isn't popular.
Moon: Although unattractive and unpopular, this Pokemon's marvelous vitality has made it a subject of research.

Moon's description is actually funny as its the exact opposite of FireRed & LeafGreen's: "Ridiculed for its shabby appearance, it is ignored by researchers. It lives in ponds choked with weeds."

I almost feel sorry for it now, it gets called useless for being the only fish that acts like a fish (instead of these non-Newtonian gravity-defying semi-amphibious wildlife).

I think my favorite is Sapphire's backhanded compliment that it can survive swimming in a toxic sea. You think you're not part of the problem Sapphire pokedex, but you are!
Unreliable and pathetic
It's infamously feeble

Was it very strong long ago? There was a rumor about that
But now, it's very weak, so weak it's tragic

Magikarp, the Weak Pokemon, is the world's weakest
Magikarp, the Weak Pokemon, is too weak that it's shocking

It often jumps and splashes well
It can leap a mountain with Splash

Why does it Splash? What a meaningless splash, it does nothing in battle
Carried away, it continuously jumps, sometimes snatched away by a Pidgeotto

Magikarp, the Splash Pokemon, is the world's best splasher
Magikarp, the Splash Pokemon, is always jumping with a plop

Anywhere and everywhere, it can be caught easily
With an Old Rod, fishing it out again and again

In the sea, in the river, in a dirty pool, it swims anywhere with water
Even in a gentle stream, it floats away, showing up anywhere in drifts of carps

When you think you've caught a Magikarp, will you release it? Do it fast?
When you think you've caught a Magikarp, will you eat it? What nonsense!

Sparkling and gorgeous, that's a Shiny
But in the inside, it's all the same

When it evolves into Gyarados, it'll be super strong, but waiting for it will be super tough
The old man sells it for 500 yen, but refunds aren't happening

Magikarp, the Joke Pokemon, give it to someone and you'll be booed
Magikarp, the Joke Pokemon, it has never cared its ranking

Magikarp, my Pokemon, I'll train it as it is
Magikarp, my Pokemon, I'll gather a six of it for battle

Magikarp, everyone loves you, it's the world's most beloved
Magikarp, fall in love with love, I offer this love song to you

BTW, there's an official dance remix of this song.

Funny how Sapphire says Feebas is an easy catch when, in that game, it has one of the most annoying capture methods ever conceived by man (or mon).
It has something like a 60% chance of showing up on tiles where it can appear, though, so maybe that's what it's referring to?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It's easy to catch. Finding it, now, there's the rub.
Well, at least in Gen III and IV. In Gen V they just had it as a rare fishing catch on Route 1, and a likely fishing catch in rippling water (as well as a small chance of catching a Milotic, which happened to me). In the Gen III remakes they threw us a bone and had them appear 100% in two spots depending on the time of day: during daylight they were under the bridge of route 119 and during night around a specific stone near a female Pokemon Ranger.

Well, at least in Gen III and IV. In Gen V they just had it as a rare fishing catch on Route 1, and a likely fishing catch in rippling water (as well as a small chance of catching a Milotic, which happened to me). In the Gen III remakes they threw us a bone and had them appear 100% in two spots depending on the time of day: during daylight they were under the bridge of route 119 and during night around a specific stone near a female Pokemon Ranger.
And like 5% everywhere else you could fish on that route, as opposed to 6 random water tiles that are reshuffled whenever the trendy phrase in Dewford Town was changed. And you could DexNav it if you'd gotten its Dex entry.

The increased chance in finding Feebas made things much easier in ORAS, but Generation 6 was generally more convenient than Gens 3-5 anyway. Unless you're playing on an R4, on which you can cheat for Gens 4 and 5.

Last edited:
And now it's time for the mother of all conspiracies

you know Cyrus's final speech in platinum?
(skip to 8:12)

Creepy Cyrus said:
This, I promise you. I will break the secrets of the world. With that knowledge, I will create my own complete and perfect world. One day, you will awaken to a world of my creation. A world without spirit.
remeber how he's last seen in this extra-dimensional place where time and space don't work normaly? well since time doesn't work normaly maybe he did find a way to become a god and create his own universe filled with emontioless things

Cyrus has become the creator god of the Ultra Beasts Universe and will eventually return with an army of the most heartless of them to destroy this filthy universe filled with emotions!

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Cool story bro.

...but, as much as I'd love to see Gamefreak complete more villain arcs
Giovanni, Team Rocket: gone into hiding, may or may not have jumped off a waterfall

Team Rocket Admins, Team Rocket: ...what did happen to them? They disbanded but it's more like blipped out of existence.

Maxie/Archie, Team Aqua & Magma: ORAS showed that both teams starting acting as true environmental support groups, mostly as penance. Man they really dodged jail-time for ecoterrorism, amirite? Although I guess neither one was villainous, just really stupid. Still, a rare finished villain arc.

Cyrus, Team Galactic: trapped in another dimension brooding

Ghetsis, Team Plasma: completely bonkers but in hiding

Lysandre, Team Flare: trapped under a rock either as a life-drained corpse, or an immortal.

Guzma, Team Skull: another rare finished arc, as he's disbanded the group and clearly trying to be a little less of a dick. A little bit.

Lusamine, Team Aether: Maybe finished? Her coma and recover call into question how much she's reformed and how much she's still effected by nuerotoxin.

Geez, Gamefreak. Ever heard of just arresting these guys?

The problem with the return of Cyrus is if he did create Ultra Beasts as emotionless soldiers, then he did a really bad job of it.

Nihilego's powers cause people to give into SHAMEFUL LUST (by which I mean drop all inhibition and act out of twisted desires). That seems to be the exact opposite of unemotional.

100 push ups, 100 squats, 100 sit-ups, 10 km. Every. Single. Day.

Aw, you made the tummy monsters sad.

upload_2017-5-18_18-28-34.png

I can't be the only one that sees this, right?

Let me show you the dance of my people.

And as much as I'd want Cyrus to return, seems to me being trapped in a dimension all alone would be my best option as a semi-emotionless Nietzsche wannabe.

Speaking of Pokémon villains, have we ever received a Lawful Evil antagonist during the franchise's history? The closest one I can think of is the manipulative Ghetsis in BW1, but he has gone practically insane as of BW2. We've had Chaotic Good protagonists in Orre, but I couldn't be too sure. I know the Pokémon world is a true utopia and not crapsaccharine, and the worst any common person has done is disrupt the peace in absurd manners, but still.

Speaking of Pokémon villains, have we ever received a Lawful Evil antagonist during the franchise's history? The closest one I can think of is the manipulative Ghetsis in BW1, but he has gone practically insane as of BW2. We've had Chaotic Good protagonists in Orre, but I couldn't be too sure. I know the Pokémon world is a true utopia and not crapsaccharine, and the worst any common person has done is disrupt the peace in absurd manners, but still.
Hmm, well I guess it depends on how you define the "lawful" part of Lawful Evil, as TvTropes defines it as one of four ways:

1. Believes or follows civic order (evil dictators, for example).
2. Follows a strict code of personal honor (the evil samurai)
3. The loyal underling of someone else (they do evil under orders, even if the man up top is chaotic or unlawful)
4. Maliciously abuses the law to terrorize people (the evil lawyer)

I could say quite a few pokemon villains could count under criteria #2, like Giovanni for example who takes defeat with grace and still adheres to his duties as a gym leader despite being essentially a mafia boss (or maybe because of it?). Or are all the villains lawful because despite everything they still generally follow the rules of pokemon battling? Ghetsis and Lusamine are the only two to technically "cheat" (both attack you or your friends, and Lusamine powers up her pokemons stats with an aura), maybe team Cipher too if you count Shadow Pokemon as cheating.

And there's quite a few villains that qualify as criteria #3, like Saturn for example. I don't think we've had a true type 4, as that implies a villain in a position of civic duty abuses their power without technically breaking the law, but we haven't had many villains in poke-government. Sure there's Giovanni, a gym leader, Malva, elite four, and the mayor of Orre from Colosseum, but most of those weren't using their station to commit crimes as that all happened in the shadowy groups they were affiliated with.

N is weird case, as you could make the arguement for a type 1 Lawful Evil since he does believe in civic order, it's just his idea of it clashes with society. But then his overall actions and agenda are more simply in opposition than truly evil, and of course he reforms by the end. And this is why I've always hated the D&D alignment system, it's just so limiting and doesn't factor in character growth.

Still, I'd say Giovanni would be the closest example of Lawful Evil, as a crime boss with some code of honor that doubles as a gym leader.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
As stage7_4 said, Ultra Space isn't the world that Cyrus wants. If Pokemon Origins is anything to go by, the world Cyrus wants would probably be identical to the Distortion World (though in the original games he just as much wants to destroy the Distortion World as the normal world, believing doing so would destroy both as they're connected to one another).

I think the point was to show that Cyrus's dream is pretty much impossible, at least about the part of re-creating the world in his image (since, despite his beliefs, he himself still has emotions. The only thing he can do is destroy the world (and then nothing after that) or really mess it up by twisting nature to his own reflection (which, as discussed, is flawed)). I wouldn't say Cyrus story is over, he's still "free", but as far as we know he's wandering the Distortion World to learn about it (and who knows how its affecting him, like does he need to eat or sleep? Is he even aging? Thinking about it, he's just one black cloak away from being a KH villain).

Giovanni appears later at the Pokemon World Tournament in BW2 (though its canonicity is up to debate, you know, with the kid Gym Leaders still being kids despite for some it has to be like 6 or more in-game years after they were introduced). However nothing is done with him, he's just an opponent and says very little and it's nothing that hints his character has changed.

Maxie and Archie are probably being closely watched by the Pokemon League. Considering how many loyal followers they have and their intent on helping the environment, they probably are more seen being on probation/doing community work. That said, last time we saw them, at least one is working from inside a cave so you have to wonder how closely are they being watched (are they choosing to stay in the caves or do they think/are indeed hiding from the Pokemon League there?). Would be neat to see a future Hoenn game where both have opened a land and sea conservation organization (with approval and affiliation with the Pokemon League) to keep the land and seas clean and preserved.

Well, at least last time we saw Lysandre he/his body was buried. Eventually they would start digging the base out for various reasons, one being to retrieve Lysandre either alive/dead. That's why Z being cancelled is annoying as, if it was a sequel which it felt it was building up to (or at least an extended story), we'd probably learn what happened to Lysandre (I'm betting they never found him because the four Flare scientist woman would have gotten to him first). Lysandre I'm more labeling as MIA, unfinished and probably more to his story.

Well Guzma is friendly with you when you're partners in the Battle Tree. And when you battle him in the Battle Tree he's no longer threatening you, just building himself up and saying he's not done yet when he loses.

I'd say Lusamine is "reformed but in recovery". We saw her returning a bit to her sense when unfused with Nihilego and during the Champion party Lillie says Lusamine tried to come. With Lillie wanting to take Lusamine to Bill to see if he can remove the rest of the neurotoxin, I can only guess what state Lusamine is in, at least mentally. I'm going to guess maybe a tad bit bipolar, having clear moments when her body has temporarily fought the effects of the neurotoxin but also disinhibition moments when the neurotoxins have taken a hold again. Would be interesting to hear what she would have to say (during a clear moment) what her experience infected with the neurotoxin was like and how she feels about how she acted under its influence. I'd imagine quite terribly, being how horribly she treated her children, her son hates her, turned the Aether Foundation into an evil/dubious organization, and almost caused the end of the world. Worst yet, it wasn't from being controlled, but rather from being freed from mental constraints. Deep down she knows, without her conscious, she would abuse & discard her kids without a second thought (of course without a conscious I think most everyone would be a horrible person, no matter how strong you think your beliefs are since those beliefs can easily be twisted).

Honestly the Pokemon villains are usually crafted that their goals are more complex that they can't easily be labelled good or evil.

Giovanni: Initially appears evil, but he seems to have some kind of superiority/inferiority complex. It's not about doing good or being a bad person, to him it's all about being the very best that no one ever was. Everything he does is to improve himself or his image, I'd maybe mark him as True Neutral. It's all about himself.
Rocket Executives: Mixed bag. I'd say Archer, Ariana, and Petrel are also true neutral though Proton is more Neutral Evil or a tad Chaotic Evil. Archer we don't learn much about, he just wants to get Giovanni to return to reform Team Rocket and fully disbands it when he loses (he might be more Lawful Evil in that way). Ariana does say she enjoys doing bad things so she also may lean on Neutral Evil though she respects the player and wishes they would join Team Rocket instead which seems Lawful Evil. Petrel says he's a nice guy but he's also a master of disguise so could just be deceiving you so we might not truly know his placement; gonna say True Neutral.
Archie & Maxie: Well-intention extremists, this is where things get fuzzy. They do evil things but its because they believe the end will justify the means. When they realize they're wrong they turn over a new leaf and actively help stop the problem they caused. They also respect the player, annoyed with them at first but taking a shine to them and even giving them a nickname of sorts. I would say Lawful Evil for them, but not in the typical sense since they're people who want to do good things but doing so in a misguided way.
Cyrus: Neutral Evil. Cyrus wants to get rid of emotions as he believes they are terrible (I hope they expand upon that in the Sinnoh remakes). He's willing to kill millions and remake the universe in his image. He's also perfectly fine manipulating people to do this under the false belief they'll have a place of power in his new world order. Completely selfish and mad, which is revealed when he loses and tells the player to catch/defeat Giratina anyway to destroy the world even though at this point his plans have been ruined.
N: Lawful Neutral, though maybe Lawful Good in his eyes. Only wants to do what's best for everyone, in his belief (well, what's best for Pokemon; though he probably wants best from people too which means preserving and leaving the environment and Pokemon alone).
Ghetsis: Chaotic Evil. Insane, cruel, and egotistical, especially after his plans are foiled in BW and keeps being so in BW2 until he eventually is reduced to a vegetative state.
Colress: True Neutral. He doesn't care about anything except for SCIENCE! He became leader of Team Plasma only because they would let him do his experiments without letting ethics get in the way.
Lysandre: I would argue Lawful Evil. He knows what he's doing is wrong and wishes there was another way, but has decided to preserve humanity he needs to do a culling and genocide everyone else (and all Pokemon). He was a good man, doing all he could to help everyone, but he realized he couldn't help everyone and it felt like he was the only person in a position of power trying to actively help. He drove himself crazy and to act rashly. Though he keeps trying to stop himself, saying he would stop if the player defeats him, but his paranoia prevents him from keeping his word no matter how much he possibly wants to.
Lusamine: Chaotic Neutral. The neurotoxins made her completely insane. She cares only for what she likes, and willing to destroy everything else to get her way. Doesn't that make her evil? Well, her actions are, but when she got into Ultra Space she was pretty much content with staying there for the rest of her life, not caring about the real world anymore.

Though if you want to go into the side games I'll do that later as it's late where I am.

Last edited:
Sorry if this is derailing the current subject about Cyrus and shit, but has anyone figured out why Crabominable suddenly gains teeth and a gaping mouth when its pre-evolution didn't have either and it'd make no sense to have those looking at its ability, stats, and movepool? (Those teeth are at the very least too weak to attack with, seeing as it can't learn any biting moves) Crabs generally don't have teeth either, but this is Pokemon so......

Sorry if this is derailing the current subject about Cyrus and shit, but has anyone figured out why Crabominable suddenly gains teeth and a gaping mouth when its pre-evolution didn't have either and it'd make no sense to have those looking at its ability, stats, and movepool? (Those teeth are at the very least too weak to attack with, seeing as it can't learn any biting moves) Crabs generally don't have teeth either, but this is Pokemon so......
In all likelihood, that's probably beacuse it gained the -ominable ending to its name, in reference to the Abominable Snowman. Most depictions show the Abominable Snowman as having humanoid characteristics, and as such, those characteristics were mated to that of a crab to form the Pokemon.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Adding onto that, remember what Crabominable represents. All Crabrawlers want to reach the highest peak, and Crabominable is the result of this. The highest peak is a frozen mountain peak, so they evolved fur (and part Ice-type) to reach the peak. Upon doing so they would be so happy, they did it! They're on top of the world! That goofy smile is the result of lots of hard work, tribulations, and determination.

As for why it has teeth, guess to add to the goofiness of the smile. Also the teeth could be made of ice so just an after result of becoming part Ice-type.

A question that has been bothering me for a while is where do boxed pokemon really go?

For the longest time myself and several other fans thought is was digitized stasis of some sort, like they are converted to data and held frozen in time until taken out again. Or placed into some sort of cyber-realm. The fact that the game uses language like "X was sent to the PC" or "You deposited X into Bill's PC" certainly helped this theory.

...but then SuMo came and gave us pokepelago, an island chain habitat for pokemon to relax in that is such a paradise that other wild pokemon wish to live their permanently.

...but then SuMo loves to tease, and the very nature of poke-pelago is quite mysterious. Some people acknowledge it's existence in-game (and wild pokemon arriving their suggests it's real), but then again there's a girl in a certain pokemon center that suggests nobody really knows what goes on with boxed pokemon, and Mohn's backstory complicates how "real" the pelago is. Even wild pokemon appearing can be explained away as mirages, similar to dream world pokemon.

And even if the pelago is real, are we to assume that Alola is the first region to do this with their wild pokemon, or have we always been sending them to a ranch-like area, similar to the anime explanation?

Another talking point is Lusamine's gallery of pokemon in cryostatsis, specifically it's contention with the "digital statsis" theory of storing pokemon (in that if digital stasis does exist, then what's the point of cryostasis? Was it because looking at Lusamine's tablet doesn't have the impact of rows of frozen pokemon?)

The Pokepelago is a real, geographical location and that's why the Charizard Glide is required before the game grants you access to it. That much is obvious. Once the MC gets there, it's intuitive to think that they withdraw their pokemon and leaves them in the poke-pelago. Simple and nothing really mysterious about it.

As for what happens to boxed pokemon, no one really knows as the games never really addressed it ( except for some random NPCs here and there, of whom are all liable to being just flat-out wrong anyways ). Fans assume they're frozen in some sort of stasis, but all evidence points otherwise as per your own example. Lusamine is the president of a very important and technologically advanced organization, if putting pokemon in PC boxes really meant what you said, she wouldn't have felt the need to preserve them the way she did.

SuMo loves to tease, and the very nature of poke-pelago is quite mysterious. Some people acknowledge it's existence in-game (and wild pokemon arriving their suggests it's real), but then again there's a girl in a certain pokemon center that suggests nobody really knows what goes on with boxed pokemon, and Mohn's backstory complicates how "real" the pelago is. Even wild pokemon appearing can be explained away as mirages, similar to dream world pokemon.
Well you do get both items and food from pokepelago, so I'm gonna go with it being an actual real place; as for the girl well maybe some people don't know exactly where the pokemon they store go (I mean for like 7 games the main character doesn't know the PC system manager name until later) so while some people think they're just "in the PC" the administrators send them somewhere like this

as for Lusamine, well knowing your pokemon are frolicking around in some place somewhere is not as satisfying as having them next to you turned into pretty pretty statues

Well you do get both items and food from pokepelago, so I'm gonna go with it being an actual real place;
You could get berries, food, and other items via Dream World too, so we are already operating on a thin line between "real" and "not-real" in-universe. And the Dream World (and Entralink) raise so many mysteries they almost deserve there own thread, if not for how quickly Gamefreak moved past them.

Y'all got me on the Charizard requirement to fly there, I ignore it so often I forget.

A question that has been bothering me for a while is where do boxed pokemon really go?

For the longest time myself and several other fans thought is was digitized stasis of some sort, like they are converted to data and held frozen in time until taken out again. Or placed into some sort of cyber-realm. The fact that the game uses language like "X was sent to the PC" or "You deposited X into Bill's PC" certainly helped this theory.

...but then SuMo came and gave us pokepelago, an island chain habitat for pokemon to relax in that is such a paradise that other wild pokemon wish to live their permanently.

...but then SuMo loves to tease, and the very nature of poke-pelago is quite mysterious. Some people acknowledge it's existence in-game (and wild pokemon arriving their suggests it's real), but then again there's a girl in a certain pokemon center that suggests nobody really knows what goes on with boxed pokemon, and Mohn's backstory complicates how "real" the pelago is. Even wild pokemon appearing can be explained away as mirages, similar to dream world pokemon.

And even if the pelago is real, are we to assume that Alola is the first region to do this with their wild pokemon, or have we always been sending them to a ranch-like area, similar to the anime explanation?

Another talking point is Lusamine's gallery of pokemon in cryostatsis, specifically it's contention with the "digital statsis" theory of storing pokemon (in that if digital stasis does exist, then what's the point of cryostasis? Was it because looking at Lusamine's tablet doesn't have the impact of rows of frozen pokemon?)
I don't think there's any reason to believe that pokemon deposited in the pc are held any differently than those simply in a pokeballs, however if we're talking about how pokeballs work in relation to stasis and stuff, that's another story. In the case of boxed pokemon, I think it's ok to take into account how it works in the anime canon. In the first season (at least) all the pokeballs get deposited back to the Professor where he simply keeps them on a shelf. I think this is the most likely, but since we don't have any confirmation of the professor simply keeping the pokeballs in their posseion in any game another possibility is that there is a large pokemon storage unit located somewhere in each region or several around the world to hold the pokeballs. As much as it would be nice for our boxed pokemon to chill at a ranch or something, they don't gain any exp or transmit pokerus while boxed, so I assume they are kept in their pokeballs at all times. I think the boxes are quite literally boxes that fit a certain amount of pokeballs, and each trainer is only allotted a certain amount of boxes because they take up space irl (well in the pokemon-real-world). I would think that if pokemon deposited into the pc were uploaded to some type of database then the limit on Storage and box space would be much higher also it would mean that pokeballs can be transformed into a storable energy form similar to pokemon which would raise many issues.

Also haven't played enough sun and moon to answer the other questions yet.

I don't think there's any reason to believe that pokemon deposited in the pc are held any differently than those simply in a pokeballs, however if we're talking about how pokeballs work in relation to stasis and stuff, that's another story. In the case of boxed pokemon, I think it's ok to take into account how it works in the anime canon. In the first season (at least) all the pokeballs get deposited back to the Professor where he simply keeps them on a shelf. I think this is the most likely, but since we don't have any confirmation of the professor simply keeping the pokeballs in their posseion in any game another possibility is that there is a large pokemon storage unit located somewhere in each region or several around the world to hold the pokeballs. As much as it would be nice for our boxed pokemon to chill at a ranch or something, they don't gain any exp or transmit pokerus while boxed, so I assume they are kept in their pokeballs at all times. I think the boxes are quite literally boxes that fit a certain amount of pokeballs, and each trainer is only allotted a certain amount of boxes because they take up space irl (well in the pokemon-real-world). I would think that if pokemon deposited into the pc were uploaded to some type of database then the limit on Storage and box space would be much higher also it would mean that pokeballs can be transformed into a storable energy form similar to pokemon which would raise many issues.

Also haven't played enough sun and moon to answer the other questions yet.
Granted, Pokerus can spread to party members that never enter battle, even through eggs. It's also possible that most items in Pokemon convert to store-able energy when not in use, as how else would one stow an entire bicycle or hundreds of each type of Poke Ball even in a collapsed state? The helmet of the Magma/Aqua Suit alone would eat up a ton of bag space, and I'm pretty sure there's no way it'd fit in May's little bag period. (Brendan at least has a backpack that might fit it, albeit little else at the same time)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)