Gen 1 My RBY OU Team

Gengar
-Explosion
-Thunderbolt
-Hypnosis
-Mega Drain

Gengar is my lead. I send him out first to use hypnosis and then switch to the Pokémon that I feel would be best for the situation. I will switch him in later if I am facing a Pokémon that uses normal type moves or a Pokémon who is weak to one of Gengar's attacks. Explosion is a move I will use if Gengar is low on HP. Mega Drain is for ground types and Thunderbolt is for everything else.

Snorlax
-Rest
-Body Slam
-Earthquake
-Hyper Beam

I use Snorlax when I'm facing a physical attacker. Rest is for when he is low on HP. Body slam is my main move that I use whenever I'm not using my other 3. Earthquake is for Gengar, Golem, and Rhydon. Hyper Beam is my finisher to knock out my opponent.

Alakazam
-Psychic
-Recover
-Reflect
-Thunder Wave

Alakazam is probably my best Pokémon and I have been told that I can use it quite effectively. I use Alakazam whenever I'm facing a ghost or poison type but I also often use it as my last Pokémon. Psychic is my main attack. Recover is what I use to get back lost HP which often leads to me eventually dealing more damage than the opposing Pokémon and eventually knocking it out. I use Reflect when dealing with Pokémon that use a lot of physical attacks. Thunder Wave is the move I use first with Alakazam and it helps a lot.

Slowbro

-Amnesia
-Surf
-Thunder Wave
-Rest

I use Slowbro whenever I can deal type effectiveness, have trouble with another psychic type, or am dealing with a special attacker. I lead with Thunder Wave to paralyze my opponent. I proceed to use Amnesia until my special gets to 4x. It will then serve as a sweeper using surf. Rest will recover my HP and I won't take very much damage while sleeping due to Amnesia.

Chansey
-Ice Beam
-Thunder Bolt
-Thunder Wave
-Soft Boil

I use Chansey when facing a physical attacker or a Pokémon weak to Ice Beam or Thunder Bolt. I lead with Thunder Wave to Paralyze my opponent and use whichever move will deal more damage. I use Soft Boil when my HP is low.

Jolteon
-Thunderbolt
-Double Kick
-Pin Missile
-Thunder Wave

I use Jolteon for electric type effectiveness. I lead with Thunder Wave and use Thunderbolt until my opponent is knocked out. I don't really use Pin Missile or Double Kick but I can't think of any other moves that would help Jolteon.

Gengar's set is probably not optimal. In all the playing I've done with it, I've never found Mega Drain to be particularly useful... I mean, sure, it hits GolDon but it's more situational than anything else you'd realistically want. Gengar's a fine lead, but use this set IMO:

Gengar
Ability: Levitate
- Hypnosis
- Explosion
- Night Shade
- Confuse Ray / Thunderbolt

Night Shade has consistent damage output and is definitely a better option than MD IMO. I like CRay a lot but Thunderbolt is fine, really. CRay eases prediction and can give nice free turns for you to get out of the way before you want to Boom.

Snorlax's set isn't very effective, I find Rest kind of useless without Amnesia or Reflect in some capacity. It's usable, sure, but say you're trying to beat something like Zapdos - you're not going to really get to rest up on it because you'll get stuck in a loop until you're crit. The following set works with the rest of the idea of the team:

Snorlax
Ability: Immunity
- Surf
- Body Slam
- Hyper Beam
- Self-Destruct

Chansey is fine as is, BoltBeam's a good set that lets you Boom w/ Snorlax vs something that isn't Chans and you can go for the freeze particularly vs Reflect Chans variants

Chansey (F)
Ability: Natural Cure
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Now we get into a bit of an issue with just RBY teambuilding in general. The mons you are using aren't unviable in any sense, they're all good OU mons that have use definitely. But the thing is that there are just other mons that do so much more than can take those spots. Gengar's fast sleep + ability to often severely dent Chansey means I think you can change Jolteon to Zapdos, Surf on Snorlax gives you a lure option vs the rocks so lets do Jolt -> Zap

Zapdos
Ability: Pressure
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Drill Peck
- Thunder Wave

You need a backup sleeper and frankly I do not recommend Slowbro for beginners really, utilizing it as effectively as possible is a tough task and frankly I think a more straightforward mon might be better in this spot. An additional Para Spreader helps Zapdos and 4 atk Snorlax a lot as well so lets go Slowbro -> Exeggutor

Exeggutor
Ability: Chlorophyll
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Psychic
- Explosion

Finally, while Alakazam is great, you 100% need a Tauros. I'll never recommend an RBY team without the Bull

Tauros (M)
Ability: Intimidate
- Body Slam
- Hyper Beam
- Earthquake
- Blizzard

All in all, I'd use this team like so:

Gengar
Ability: Levitate
- Hypnosis
- Explosion
- Confuse Ray
- Night Shade

Snorlax
Ability: Immunity
- Surf
- Body Slam
- Hyper Beam
- Self-Destruct

Chansey (F)
Ability: Natural Cure
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Zapdos
Ability: Pressure
- Agility
- Thunderbolt
- Drill Peck
- Thunder Wave

Exeggutor
Ability: Chlorophyll
- Sleep Powder
- Stun Spore
- Psychic
- Explosion

Tauros (M)
Ability: Intimidate
- Body Slam
- Hyper Beam
- Earthquake
- Blizzard

IronBullet

id never suggest surf altho ur team rly likes rocks out of the game. eq hits them still but it lets you scout for counter chansey way better and it's in general a much better move to have. surf is still fine i suppose tho. u can try other variants of chansey, reflect / counter (with toss), and reflect lax with ice beam (reflect ice beam slam rest), that helps vs rocks / opposing reflect lax, it pairs quite well with zap

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)