ORAS PU My PU Team

I think one of the main reasons I want to build a team in PU is because Luxray has always been my childhood favorite, I mean, whats not to love? His design is beautiful and sleek, and can be quite powerful if used correctly. So, here goes, my Luxray based team. Also, I'm a beginner so criticism is much appreciated.

Mon #1

Luxray @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 Def
Adamant nature
Moves:
Wild Charge
Ice Fang
Superpower
Volt Switch

Luxray is the main powerful physical attacker on this team, especially with a choice band, it hits a very wide variety of pokemon hard (Wild Charge does a large amount of damage to everything that isn't immune to it. Due to Luxray's low speed stat, a speed control option would be almost essential for this team to work for him. Ice Fang provides good coverage for grass and ground types and Super Power hits normal and steel types. Volt switch helps to gain momentum.

Mon #2

Relicanth @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs 248 HP/252 Def/8 Spe
Impish Nature
Moves:
Stealth Rock
Rock Slide
Toxic
Scald

Relicanth is Luxray's chance of getting a OHKO or a 2HKO due to it's ability to set up stealth rocks. It also provides some coverage against ground types, which are a big threat to Luxray. Relicanth provides some defense, I opted for the rockslide-sturdy combo rather than the headsmash-rock head combo because I wanted a sturdier stealth rocker to work in sync with Luxray. Relicanth also helps beat flying and fire types with its rock/water dual typing. Relicanth's weakness to grass can be countered by Luxray's Ice Fang and Arbok's Gunk Shot.

Mon #3

Arbok @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 Sp.Def
Adamant Nature
Moves:
Coil
Gunk Shot
Earthquake
Sucker Punch

I chose Arbok due to its good typing and access to powerful moves like STAB Gunk Shot, Earthquake and priority Sucker Punch. After a couple of coils, Arbok can easily OHKO or finish off with a Sucker Punch/ EQ/ GS. Arbok is also strong against fairy types that could threaten my team. Its weaknesses to rock and ground are countered by Relicanth.

Mon #4

Rapidash @ Charcoal
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs 252 Atk/ 252 Spe/4 Def
Jolly Nature
Moves:
Flare Blitz
Will o Wisp
Drill Run
Morning Sun

I chose Rapidash as my counter to steel, grass and extra coverage for fairy types. Rapidashes high speed and physical attack stats allow it to hit hard and fast. I chose to put WoW on her to further cripple foes and allow for Luxray to play more. Rapidash's Morning Sun also allows her to stay around longer too.

Mon #5

Sawsbuck @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 Def
Jolly Nature
Moves:
Horn Leech
Double Edge
Baton Pass
Jump Kick

Now with a water weakness added by Rapidash, I needed a grass type. I chose Sawsbuck due to its dual Normal/Grass typing, this lets sawsbuck hit bulky grass types like Roselia and Leafeon with a STAB normal type. Sawsbuck also provides great coverage to water types. Jump Kick also provides coverage for rock types, dark types etc.

Mon #6

Raichu @ Life Orb
Ability: Lighting Rod
EVs 252 Sp.Atk/252 Spe/4 Sp.Def
Timid Nature
Nasty Plot
Thunderbolt
Thunder Wave
HP Ice

I had to switch out Raichu for Haunter because I found out it's been bumped up a tier. Raichu is speedy, and can pull a quick T wave, crippling opposing team members so that Luxray, or others can come in and take the kill. Nasty Plot/T bolt also hits many pokemon hard and HP ice helps for coverage.
------------
Criticism and changes will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hey FrozenOfArrows, cool team.

>

Even so, the first thing that stood out to me about your team was its glaring weakness to ground type attacks. To remedy this issue I would first suggest replacing Raichu with Scarf Rotom-F. Rotom-F, while not as fast as Raichu, boasts fearsome boltbeam coverage and an immunity to ground.

>

I also think that you should try using SD Leafeon over Sawsbuck. Scarf Sawsbuck is not needed since Rotom-F fills the role of a scarfer quite comfortably and I believe that replacing Sawsbuck with a strong offensive ground resist such as Leafeon is a good idea. It retains Sawsbuck's appealing base 95 speed with the addition of more Attack and physical bulk.

>

I would also consider changing Relicanth to Golem. Defensive Relicanth is fairly passive whereas Golem is a much better Stealth Rocker and has access to a very powerful offensive movepool.

edit: added some visuals

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Leafeon @ Yache Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Return

Golem @ Custap Berry
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Hope this helps, stay sharp.

Last edited:
Hey FrozenOfArrows, cool team.

>

Even so, the first thing that stood out to me about your team was its glaring weakness to ground type attacks. To remedy this issue I would first suggest replacing Raichu with Scarf Rotom-F. Rotom-F, while not as fast as Raichu, boasts fearsome boltbeam coverage and an immunity to ground.

>

I also think that you should try using SD Leafeon over Sawsbuck. Scarf Sawsbuck is not needed since Rotom-F fills the role of a scarfer quite comfortably and I believe that replacing Sawsbuck with a strong offensive ground resist such as Leafeon is a good idea. It retains Sawsbuck's appealing base 95 speed with the addition of more Attack and physical bulk.

>

I would also consider changing Relicanth to Golem. Defensive Relicanth is fairly passive whereas Golem is a much better Stealth Rocker and has access to a very powerful offensive movepool.

edit: added some visuals

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Blizzard
- Thunderbolt
- Trick

Leafeon @ Yache Berry
Ability: Chlorophyll
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Return

Golem @ Custap Berry
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

Hope this helps, stay sharp.
--------------------------------------------
Hey! Thanks so much for your advice, I can't believe I didn't realise that ground weakness! I've already played the original team a couple of times and found that ground types and moves were a problem. I will make these changes and update how it went. Thanks muchly x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)