Serious My Life Is Better Than Yours

i lost about 43 lbs since mid august. i lost the bulk of it (30 lbs+) from mid august to right before thanksgiving, which caused some health problems due to sudden and rapid weightloss, but i am now gradually losing it in a more healthy way. my bmi went from 28.7 to 22.4. i wanna get to about ~21 bmi, so i have another 10 lbs or so that i want to hopefully lose during the summer. it feels really great to be slimmer and stuff: my shoulder look lots smaller, my tum isn't really a gut anymore (i'm still chubby with little love handles but it's a lot better than before), and my neck is actually normal looking now!

i also recently got it confirmed that i'll be going to school (uni/college) for free! my parents put money aside for my college, so it wasn't really a concern in the first place, but this means that i can put that money towards grad school or living expenses depending on the path i choose. i'm pretty proud of this honestly. i don't usually get too proud about academic accomplishments because i don't like feeling like it's a competition, but to me it feels like i earned a reward here.

other than that things are totally awful, but it feels nice to look at these good things instead of the bad ones :).

Love this thread! :')

Particularly reading about how a healthy diet and lifestyle has been improving quality of life for so many people. It sounds so simple and it's always easier said than done, but the positive impact of eating well and exercising, especially on mental health, is incredible. Without wanting to be insensitive to the many and varied factors than can contribute to mental illness, I couldn't point to any one thing that I have seen work better across the board than sorting out your diet and shedding a sedentary lifestyle. I've tried to improve my eating and exercise habits over the past 8 months - nothing dramatic and no overnight rig transformations. But I just built some healthier stuff into my existing life routine, and over time you just begin to feel better about stuff. The difficult shit in my life is still there, but I'm amazed at how much easier it is to deal with from a baseline of general good health.

Nice thread!

For those who don't know me, I was fortunate enough to get into an incredibly competitive commerce program at a very good university, and it was a bit of a shock of how demanding it was. I've been an A student all throughout highschool, and after getting a 94% average in highschool, I thought I was invincible. And then adulthood and real life gave me the biggest bitchslap of my life. I really wasn't ready for the real world.

In my first year of University I was incredibly stressed and overwhelmed with everything. I am a very social and active person so I got myself into way to many activities, and got overwhelmed by them as a result. My grades slipped as well and I was embarrassed to tell my friends or family, so for a while I sorta distanced myself from everything.

By the end of the year, I was insanely burned out, both socially and academically, and did poorly in school. My program requires me to maintain an 80% average over my first 2 years to move on to the next stage of the program, and come year 1, I was 8% short of this. It was devastating.

However, starting this year, I have spent a shit load of time improving my time managent skills, and have started exercising and getting proper sleep (mostly) to manage stress. I have done much better thus far and am set to meet the cumulative 80% required. I am also much happier overall and have managed to mostly have time to do the things I enjoy. I guess the message here is to not give up on a long term goal because of short term circumstances: stick with it, and you WILL find a way to succeed!

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I just got back from a week in Italy last night with a bunch of my friends through my school which was a ton of fun

Also it looks like I'm gonna get this internship at this company that is working on a proton therapy cyclotron with a former MIT physics professor so that should be awesome

Last April, I lost my father. Within the next two months from then, I lost my grandpa, aunt, and two of my cousins who live across the United States. My depression has been horrible since around sixth grade and it spiked after those occurrences as well. I went through a phase of just sleeping around to feel anything after I had broken up with a serious boyfriend. Pretty ugly overall. Didn't talk to my sister for quite some time either, as she had sunk into alcoholism. My mom also went off the rails after all of this. I myself got into doing drugs to cope with everything. Namely nicotine, weed, and I'd started to do acid more and more.

Now, approaching THIS April, I've never been so optimistic. I'll have been sober for one month next week, my sister is slowly recovering, and my mom is refining a purpose in her life. She's gotten a job for the first time in a couple of years, and she's going to go back to school to study to become a realtor as well. I've found someone I really like and I'm taking it a lot slower than I had been in previous relationships. I no longer need antidepressants or anxiety medication, and I've been accepted into a university about three hours from my house (UoA, bear down!). After such tragedies, I thought my life would never turn around. Yet here I am. Finding happiness and working myself through things. Overcoming depression and anxiety had helped so much, and finally stopping myself and getting help from the drugs was super helpful as it saved me money and I knew I'd get into much worse if I didn't cut it. My GPA is currently a 4.1 and I've never been more proud. With just two months left being a Senior in HS, I'm ready for super amazing memories before the real world kicks in. Prom is coming up, and I've generally got a lot to look forward to. I'm going to China in June!

Life is amazing, and I'm thankful to still be here. :)

junior

jet fuel can't melt steel beams
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
i think it's so easy to get caught up with personal life issues and/or society's expectations that we forget to live in the moment and appreciate the world for what it is. I think it's important to realize that worrying about things in certain situations won't change your predicament, so it's best to just leave those worries for when the time is appropriate. It's undoubtedly easier said than done, especially if the anxiety over your relationship/finance/whatever problems you may have is physically crippling, but it's a skill that you can practice until you perfect it.

Being able to live in the moment has changed me fundamentally. I am a much happier, more vibrant person than I've ever been, and I hope everyone gains the same inner peace I've been able to in these past two years.

good shit in my life includes (but is not limited) the fam bam, my absolutely beautiful mates, this amazing country i live in, my soul-filling career, my adventures and travels with loved ones, and all the good and bad experiences i've come across that have allowed me to grow as a person!

Holiday

on my best behavior
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Few days ago I found out that the college I'm attending is going to be paying for the majority of my education. I'm sure with how much money there are in scholarships that a lot of others could be in my same position, but I'll be the first generation (second overall, after my sister) to attend college so I'm really happy.

i was 2 years behind my university up until last xmas, i managed to cover 1 year last semi and im about to cover another year on this semi.

I won an internship in a Cruise ship, it involves information and communication systems inside the ship, it starts early April, i will travel in 5 different countries including Monte Carlo, and as much as i dislike being surrounded by tax evaders and honeymooners this can be one of the greatest things that ever happened to me.

Got back to weighting 89 kg on 1.93 meters, from 98kg 1.90 meters 3 years go, it might sounds not that much but i consume 3k-4k calories per day to sustain my lack of sleep, constricting food intake messes with my balance.

Last edited:

Lixx

Banned deucer.
I lost friends in a car accident in 2014. With no one reliable to turn to drugs soon ruled my life. For the next two years I'd become a massive junky. I had finally had enough of the every day struggle that life ensues though and have been sober since January 13th 2016. For that I am extremely thankful.

Thanys

Banned deucer.
Hello, good afternoon, I never wanted to play any sport, I never became interested, this year because of my friends I started to train volleyball including the selection of my city, I left my life as a sedentary, I stopped getting fat, I am not Fat but I was well stuffed, and thank god I'll join the youthful volleyball team of Porto Seguro, I'll honor my city, with only 13 years, I have a dream, to be a well known volleyball player.

The Avalanches

pokemon tcg
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not much more than twenty minutes ago, I arrived home from my first day at university in more than two years. I had previously studied Science in '13, '14, but a lack of direction, passion for the course, an inability to assimilate with university life, and a generally poor attitude prevented me from doing well. After a two-year hiatus from the school, I decided to return and study Commerce.

I know it's only my first day and there's a long road ahead of me, but it feels different this time. I thoroughly enjoyed my time today, I was more open, I met people, and I approached the day with enthusiasm and confidence. I really feel like I can make a go of it this time.

Adding to that, I recently moved. It was an extremely stressful process, but I am definitely reaping the rewards for my hard work. I live with my best friend, and we can do anything we want now (within reason). I've spent a lot of time with him and my other friends recently, and it's made me really feel good.

Additionally, I'm about to go on holiday to Melbourne very soon with some other friends to play Pokemon TCG. Should be a good time!
It's been a little while since this, so I think it would be nice to update this a little, mostly just for me, because I think it helps me to verbalize my situation in order to look at it properly. (Sorry if it seems like I'm making this thread like a journal or anything).

It's been a rough few months, but I've hung tough. A few personal incidents have popped up, and I've had to dig deep to get through them. My friends and family have supported me through them as always, and I am extremely thankful for this. I passed all of my courses at university, and am getting stuck into my second semester, so things are going just fine there. My goal is to improve on my marks and get a better GPA than last semester. I was unwell for a couple of weeks in April and because of that, I let a few assessment marks slip away.

I was never this resilient before, especially a few years ago when I was studying. A 19-year old me would have crumbled under what's happened. The voice in my head telling me "come on, just do it" has gotten stronger and stronger. I've faced more setbacks in the past six months than I've faced in a very long time, and I'm still here. I'm starting to feel like I can handle anything life can throw at me. Every obstacle I overcome makes me stronger and more experienced.

Don't get me wrong though. Life has been good despite my problems. I had an awesome trip to Melbourne in March for the Pokemon International Championship with my friends, I've spent some quality time with the people close to me, and I'm very comfortable in my living environment at the moment. I'm saving money, I'm getting buff, and my self-esteem has never been higher.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
I have never been rejected by any job applications.
I applied my first job in a pharmaceutica, I got the job.
I quit because it was too tiring.

I applied my second job in a music school as a piano teacher, and I got the job.

Looking at other people's comments, I realize how lucky I was.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's been a pretty productive year for me. Wrote poetry for the first time in an intro class last September and since then I've had multiple poems published (4 published already, 3 forthcoming). Just finished my chapbook this summer too, which has been very cool (I've been submitting it to contests which is expensive but hopefully worth). Up next is my honors fiction thesis and graduation. Feel like my writing has improved by a crazy amount very quickly and I feel more plugged into the greater writing community (I submit work regularly + hit my goal of 25 rejections for the year, I have great writer friends, I'm reading). I do miss having an avatar though :( One way Smogon has Twitter beat.

Coronis

Impressively round
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Looking back over the past year, it hasn't exactly been the best of times for me. I got fired from my job, I was kicked out of my residence, and kicked out of university. Forced to move back to my hometown and live with my parents. I had no job, no prospects, I was away from all my friends, I even broke my laptop. This kinda doesn't sound like a post that should go in this thread, right? But whats been amazing to myself has been my own belief in myself. I never once gave up, though I had every reason to. I'd hit rock bottom and yet I never beat myself up emotionally or got depressed as I had previously (in far better circumstances). I always believed I'd be able to sort my life back out. Remarkably it has actually happened. I'm in a steady job, have earned myself a fair amount of money and was recently accepted back into university. I've even started to lose some weight. Things are on the up and up and I'm not looking back :)

Ninahaza

You'll always be a part of me
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Looking back over the past year, it hasn't exactly been the best of times for me. I got fired from my job, I was kicked out of my residence, and kicked out of university. Forced to move back to my hometown and live with my parents. I had no job, no prospects, I was away from all my friends, I even broke my laptop. This kinda doesn't sound like a post that should go in this thread, right? But whats been amazing to myself has been my own belief in myself. I never once gave up, though I had every reason to. I'd hit rock bottom and yet I never beat myself up emotionally or got depressed as I had previously (in far better circumstances). I always believed I'd be able to sort my life back out. Remarkably it has actually happened. I'm in a steady job, have earned myself a fair amount of money and was recently accepted back into university. I've even started to lose some weight. Things are on the up and up and I'm not looking back :)
This fills my heart with joy. i wish you the best of luck, man!
:)

I am slowly building up my life again. Everything is fine. I have a good home, a good job, a great University, a great boyfriend. I need to focus on my health (mental & physical) now.

My mother developed cirrhosis of the liver in early 2016 because of heavy drinking and smoking, and around the same time my dad (not with my mom) lost his job of 10 years due to showing up to work drunk. Both of them became lifeless slumps and almost gave up. Because of this, we lost our apartment and had to move into a motel, which made me really depressed combined with everything else, especially me and my mother arguing all the time. Things changed though; my mom recovered a lot better than a lot of people do because she quit drinking and smoking and is able to live a normal life now, and we ended up getting family counseling and it worked like a charm. My dad's been sober for 1.5 years (When he's drinking, he's a total asshole and not a pleasure to be around) and has a job now and is working to get a place of his own, because currently he lives with his grandmother. I'm so proud of him, because quitting a drinking addiction is no small feat, especially when you've been drinking for 30 years. We still don't have an apartment but we are slowly working up to that goal. Things were bad at one point but it's a lot better now and I'm glad I'm not in that position anymore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)