Most Generation PRNG Help / Information

Have you tried this guide (Italian, but google translate seems to do a decent job)? I've never tried it, but it seems like the process is about the same for the different encounter types.
I have been able to make legendary captures but when I change from method 1 to method h-1 wild the frames don't show up flawless spreads at all.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
I have been able to make legendary captures but when I change from method 1 to method h-1 wild the frames don't show up flawless spreads at all.
Without seeing anything the only thing I can say is double check that you've entered in correctly or are searching a wide enough range (been too long to recall if switching from 1 to H-1 is ~1:1 on the frames). I ran a quick search in 10.3.2 of the RNG Reporter and I was able to get results for H-1 (see hide tag). Perhaps it's a version issue.

1516585059604.png

[\hide]

Without seeing anything the only thing I can say is double check that you've entered in correctly or are searching a wide enough range (been too long to recall if switching from 1 to H-1 is ~1:1 on the frames). I ran a quick search in 10.3.2 of the RNG Reporter and I was able to get results for H-1 (see hide tag). Perhaps it's a version issue.

where do I download that RNG reporter? I don't have the "wild" tab.
Edit: Nvm I just checked and there was a link 10.3.2, thanks.
Also yeah apparently there's no wild spread of 31/7/31/31/31/31 timid for h-1 so that's why I couldn't find any results. Thank you again. :D

Edit: Okay now I want to try this on retail (hopefully my battery still works) so when I re-insert the battery will the date restart at 1-1-2000? or how do I even start?

Last edited:
Can anyone point me to any XD RNG guides?
Here you go:

And if you're interested in Pokéspot RNG:

Also, I highly recommend searching on google for Mr. Ginzaru's RNG Tools for Pokémon XD (I used to have a link for them, but it's broken). They make the whole process significantly easier. They are on japanese, but I can send translations your way if you'd like.

Good luck!

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Can anyone point me to any XD RNG guides?
I found amabs guide to be somewhat tricky to follow. If you'll ignore the shameless self promotion, I made a video guide on xdrng here:

You might find that easier to follow. It's a little outdated and I now have a lot more knowledge on how XD RNG works, but it's more up-to-date than the text guide linked in the post above (and also easier than using the Japanese tools!). If you have any questions about anything to do with XDRNG then feel free to PM me here or on discord (LegoFigure11#0240) and I'll answer you as best I can, I'm fairly experienced with XDRNG.

Edit: Readability

Last edited:
Hey, I got few questions I'd like to get answer for since I couldn't find any Gen 7 RNG Abuse guide on Smogon.

1. Does TID/SID work in Sun/Moon in same way as it works in previous generations? You need SID to find out shiny spreads?
2. Do I need 3rd party program to figure out my SID? I did find out 2 ways to get this done but neither of them is very reliable to me (other one has bad quality on their products and other can harm my 3DS system).
3. Is TSV same as SID? I'm bit confused.

Christian

Veni, vidi, vici
Hey, I got few questions I'd like to get answer for since I couldn't find any Gen 7 RNG Abuse guide on Smogon.

1. Does TID/SID work in Sun/Moon in same way as it works in previous generations? You need SID to find out shiny spreads?
2. Do I need 3rd party program to figure out my SID? I did find out 2 ways to get this done but neither of them is very reliable to me (other one has bad quality on their products and other can harm my 3DS system).
In Gen 7, SID is not as important as it was in gen 4. In gen 4, we didn’t have TSV so you needed your TID and SID in order to search for shiny Method J/K spreads. Now with gen 7, you can ignore your SID and if you’re looking to RNG Shiny Pokemon you just need your TSV, both for Egg RNG and Stationary RNG. TSV is different from your SID though, and it’s a number that ranges from 0000 to 4096. You need a 3d party program in order to find your TSV.

Christian Thank you a lot from response, now it all is slowly starting to make sense to me. So you don't really need SID but you need TSV and for that you need access to 3rd party software.

I watched also few videos about the process of RNG Abuse and noticed there seems to be no control over the initial seed you land on... So it's about pure luck what spreads you will got. I got now #BA8AAEF9 as my Seed and I'm trying to do event Celebi. There is no any good HP:Fire spreads on this one. :L

I got few more qustions if people don't mind too much:

- How often do you can't figure out the initial seed for Sun/Moon/UM/US? When checking with the clocks is it better to choose the clock with closest next 5 minutes or past 5 minutes (Like I had hands at 00:00 o'clock exact and you either can choose 23:55 or 00:05).

- I still don't understand how the calibration works... I watched few video guides and that one written guide on Smogon but I still don't get it.

If you do not hit your frame, find the frame you landed on by searching your target's IVs. To further calculate your delay, find out how many frames above or below you were, then divide that by 30. Take the quotient from those two numbers and divide it by the number of NPCs that were in the area (if applicable, do not do this for the Island Guardians, or the Ultra Beasts, and Necrozma), then put that into the Frame Hit box and click Update.
Lets say I hit 1000 frames too high (target is 2000) there are 4 NPCs.
1000/30=33.3333... ~ 33.33
33.33/4 = 8.333...~ 8.33

So how do I change that info something useful for EonTimer? You can't put in the target frame box that you did hit frame 8.33
clearly. I watched some video that explained calibration but he didn't really explain it either, just moved decimals around. :L I'm quite bad at math.

- When does the initial seed change? I can soft-reset safely without losing it?
I figured it out so you do lose it and need new target for every attempt.

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:
Hello all!

I'm currently trying to rng for a shiny shuckle in the emerald safari zone but the problem is my delay after pressing on "Pokemon use rock smash!" fluctuate a lot, first I used the delay smogon tells, it"s 181 but I checked the ivs/nature with the lua scripts, i was faaar away from my target frame.

The question is: if somebody succesfly tried to rng a shuckle, can this person tell me how did he/she did it?

Thanks! I'm searching my delay for ages...

In Gen 7, SID is not as important as it was in gen 4. In gen 4, we didn’t have TSV so you needed your TID and SID in order to search for shiny Method J/K spreads. Now with gen 7, you can ignore your SID and if you’re looking to RNG Shiny Pokemon you just need your TSV, both for Egg RNG and Stationary RNG. TSV is different from your SID though, and it’s a number that ranges from 0000 to 4096. You need a 3d party program in order to find your TSV.
You most likely won't hit your target seed the first time but you can adjust depending on how early or late you are. I would suggest egg RNG in Gen7 when applicable since its much easier as it doesn't require you to input the clocks or use Eon Timer.

As for your TSV you do not need a 3rd Party Device nor a homebrew console. You can obtain your TSV by creating a Battle Video with another player or another console if you have 2 or more. It's extremely easy just google "TSV Video Battle". The program you use on your PC is called Keysave.

Is RNGing your starter in USUM the same as stationary RNG?

EDIT: I'm also trying to RNG the Event Code Dialga. Do you have to check the other information box and put in the Event ID or what?

Last edited:
Can anyone help with RNG in emerald? I’m going for a Mew on retail. The frame I’m trying to hit is 50385 is this possible to hit as it’s about 14 minutes.

shiny finder

forever searching
is a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Chatot Wrangler
Can anyone help with RNG in emerald? I’m going for a Mew on retail. The frame I’m trying to hit is 50385 is this possible to hit as it’s about 14 minutes.
It's possible, you're just in for a long wait on each attempt. My longest wait was about 13.5 minutes iirc.

As for how to go about the rng, enter the 50385 into the eon timer on the "3" tab under target frame. You can keep the pre-timer to 5000 (5 seconds). When the first timer ends, SR your game. When the second timer ends, initiate the battle with Mew. Catch and calculate its IVs, then enter the frame you hit into the "Frame hit" box. Hit update, and your second timer should change a little bit. Restart the timer, and repeat till you finally get it.

Resource

Lego

Formally LegoFigure11
Very possible - I've done frames with waiting times of over an hour on retail emerald. Follow SF's advice and you'll have it in no time! Generally, I like to set the timer to AV mode in the settings, and I'd recommend against updating your target frame of you're within 6 either side of your target.

Hey! First, I am not native, so I will do a lot of mistakes with grammar and so on. Sorry for that. Moreover, this might be very long now, So I would appreciate it so much, if anyone will read this, and is willing to help me .__.
So, I am new at rng in Gen 7 and I try to rng a Blacephalon (Using Ultrasun), but it still doesn´t work. I used rng back in Gen 4 but now in Gen 7 I do not really understand some things. For exampe: I use the version 1.0.2 of the 3DS RNG Tool. In some Videos, People can set a mark at "Safe F only" (I believe this is simply because they use older versions), but in this version, that I am using, there is "Blink F only" instead of "Safe F only" and "Special only". Can anyone bring light into the dark? What exactly do they mean? And do I have to pay attention at them ? Are they important for the rng of a Blacephalon, or when do I have to use this stuff ? (:
Some people say, that they rng`d the Blacephalon without problems with setting 0 for NPC´s. Others set 1. I stand now in front of a tree on the way, where they force me to catch that Blacephalon, but no NPC is on the screen. Do I have to type 0 now , or still 1 , because I know that there is one if I move left. (Just wonder if Npc´s have an influence on the Frames if they are on the route, even if you dont see them)
In a Smogon guide, the guy said, that there is no Npc arround while rng´ing a Blacephalon in US, but the guy I watched at YouTube typed in 1 for Npc and got the perfect one (I have to admit, that he stand in front of the Trainer, so I suggest that he typed in 1). Please explain that to me. Do I have to type 0 now, because I don´t see a Npc or 1 ? And is the starting Frame right with 485 ?
Another question I have is : How can I check my Frame? If I did not get the right one, I can check what I got by typing in the stats of the Blacephalon that I got, right ? But sometimes, I do not even get a result there, or sometimes I got too many of them, so I don´t know what Frame I actually hit. Does that mean, that I made mistakes with the clocks in title screen, so I got the wrong seed ? And let´s suppose I hit my Seed but not the right Blacephalon, how can I adjust after ? Is there also a way to check, if I hit the right Seed ? I remember that this was possible in Gen 4.
One more thing: the EonTimer. I am still not sure what I should fill in at Pre-Timer . Some Guides say 1,5s, others 3,5s. (Using a New 3DS XL) Can you please explain me how I adjust the Pre-Timer after failing?. How do I find out the perfect Time for me ? Some People use different times so I am a bit confused. (I know that it depends on the system and Game, but still, some people use different Times while using the same system and Game)
Please help me guys, I am really interested in rng in gen 7 and I would be so glad, if they are people who help me out . Sorry again for my horrible english.
Hope anyone helps me out.

pilica12

Buriallusion: Phantomic Killer in Night Mist
OK, going to make a few quick assumptions here:

First, I assume you are using the clock hands method to verify your initial seed. Now, if you are using the 1.0.2 version of the 3DS RNG Tool, it should have the option Safe F only (mine does), so you may wish to check the version of your tool. Regardless, if you are doing this with the clock hands and without the assistance of the PokeCalc overlay, it is better to always tick this box since it filters out unsafe frames, which as their name implies, are not safe to be aiming for.

In the stationary RNG (Edit: Wild; made a mistake before) tab, select Blacephalon and let the tool figure out all the parameters - do not modify them whatsoever. Next, you enter the IVs/nature/Hidden Power etc. that you want into the filters then search. If you used the Gen 7 Main RNG Tool to figure out your seed with the clock hands, leave the initial frame at whatever the tool gives you (it will do it automatically if you searched via clock hands). It usually is either 485 or 486, but if you did ten hands then it would be 487 and so on. Set your upper frame limit (50,000 is usually good when you're still starting out and trying to get the thing to work).

Regarding number of NPCs, for the UBs, simply use the photos from this guide: http://pokerng.forumcommunity.net/?t=59574488. Make sure you stand at the precise spot listed; this ensures there are 0 NPCs, allowing you to use that parameter. Since you are doing this manually, it is advisable to stick to as few NPCs as humanly possible. Even if you can't see them, NPCs may be able to affect the advancements, so ensure you stand at the precise spot indicated. When you are standing at the right spot, save then soft-reset (Start+Select+R) to begin the RNG (with the clock-hands).

Once you've searched and found a frame that you like, use the Main RNG Tool (put this desired frame, your "target" frame, in the appropriate box) to find your time, input it into the "3" column of Eon Timer's No. of frames - do not touch the Pre-Timer (leave it at 2500). Continue into the game as you start the timer, and once you are in the game, open the menu with "X" (this prevents the character from fidgeting, which is a problem in and of itself) and put the arrow over the Bag. Once the timer gets to 0, open the bag (frames do not advance whilst in the bag), get the honey and use it. Note that as you use it, the frames will advance, but the current tool takes that into account.

Catch the Blacephalon, then take it to the PokeCenter to check IVs, nature, etc. Reset the filters (just put in the 3 perfect IVs, then set the range 0-31 for the others, put in the nature, and, if you want, the Hidden Power). Next in the far-right, click on the "Target frame +/- 100 option". Put your target frame in that box then search. With a bit of guesswork and estimation, you should be able to find the frame you actually hit. Now check the "Shift/F" column of the frame that you hit. It may be + or -; whatever it is, add that to your target frame - note that this means a net subtraction if the "Shift/F" is a - since adding a negative number results in subtraction. For example, say my target frame was 6000. If my Shift/F is +4, then I'd get 6000+4=6004; if it was -3, then I'd get 6000+(-3)=5997. Put this number into the "Frame Hit" box of Eon Timer then hit "Update". It will update your "Lag" for you, so you don't have to mess with the Pre-Timer. Note that if there is a cluster (2+) frames that you might have hit (one after the other usually), just find the average of the Shift/F column (e.g. say I find there is a cluster of three with the stats etc. of the Blacephalon I caught, with Shift/Fs of +8, +10, +12 - I'd just go with +10 since that's the average - round to the nearest whole number obviously). Finally, soft-reset and try the RNG again, using clock-hands to find your initial seed, set your parameters, and search for a new target frame. Continue this process to "calibrate" your timer to be as accurate as possible; eventually, you will hit your desired target (it may take a bit though, my current ceiling for this process is about 8 hours).

If you cannot find the frame you hit during the searching process, then you have possibly found the wrong seed, provided you've done everything else right (such as, for example, actually leading with a Syncher...). Reset and try again. Clock hands are not the nicest thing; I advise using the starting hands and pausing your video of the clock hands just as they appear and entering what you see - I have found that that works best.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask for further clarifications if there is anything unclear.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for helping me out. I really appreciate that.

I tried it now, unsuccessfully, and I still have some questions.
So, I checked my version of the Tool, and it really is 1.0.2, so I apply a picture to this post, so you can check that as wel if you like .
( Downloaded it here: https://github.com/wwwwwwzx/3DSRNGTool/releases )

As you can see, there is something like "Blink F only" but not " Safe F only".
Also, if I set a mark at "Safe F only" I find much less results. Just 3, or 4 and they have extremely long Timers like 30 minutes or something.
My question is: Is that normal ? Do you have to wait for so long for a 5 IV Blacephalon, or in generell, for legendaries ? (I dont really want 4 Ivs, I need 5)

Also, I am bit confused about what you said with the "Stationary RNG" Tab. I wanted to fill in Blacephalon, but I can´t find it there. I just find it in the "Wild RNG" Tab under the category "UB". Is that correct if I use this one ? Or is that a mistake ?
(I made sure that I selected Ultrasun above)

One last thing about the order of the selections. If i Start, I do the thing with the clock-arms, to find my seed. After that I go to "Wild RNG" and fill in Blacephalon. I am also using a Syncher, so I fill this as well. So just to be sure: I filled Synch Nature, Category and Pokemon, the mark at Day/Night, the location, the level Range (I don´t change anything there, its always 52-55) and the Lead with Synchronize.

Then I go left to "Using IV´s" and fill in 5 at "# of perfect IV´s" I also select the Nature I want.
(Not sure about the rest with Blink F only, etc. , hope you can help me there)

At the right, I just have a mark at "Consider Delay" with 8 and the mark at Frame Range.
(You can see this setting as well at the picture)

Do I mess up there anywhere?

Hope you can help me again.
Thank you :) !
RNG picture.png

pilica12

OK, first thing, it isn't Stationary, that was a mistake. I forgot that it's wild, so ignore that bit. Same also with the Blink F option, the Safe F option is in the Stationary RNG tab, while Blink F is in the Wild RNG tab. I haven't done Wild since Stakataka... well over a month ago, so I'd completely forgotten how the Wild RNG tab looked like. So ignore my previous instructions and keep to the Wild RNG tab and don't worry about the Blink F.

Next, keep the # of IVs at 3 and manually fill in the IV ranges you want in the boxes below. For example, I presume you want 5 perfect IVs, and preferably the imperfect IV to be in Attack, so fill in HP/Def/SpA/SpD/Spe with range 31~31 and leave Atk at 0~31. Putting 5 in # of IVs makes it harder to find the frame you hit later on.

Everything else is perfectly fine, just don't change any other parameters.

5 perfect IVs, depending on your luck, usually have rather long times, especially if there are no NPCs (NPCs make frames move faster). Usually when trying to adjust the timer's accuracy, it's advisable to stick with fewer IVs, but if you aren't too fussed about the waiting time, then it's a viable method.

Once you've attempted the RNG and caught the Blacephalon, follow the method I described above to figure out which frame you hit. My guess as to why you couldn't find the frame you hit would be because you kept # of perfect IVs at 5, which means the tool will only search for frames with 5+ perfect. So keep it at 3, input the perfect IVs manually, leave the others in range 0~31 and then search; find the frame you hit and figure out the lag.

From there, just keep trying until you get perfect. It's a bit tedious, but very much doable.

One short thing. I am trying it now for many tries, but I am not sure about that "Frame Hit" option on EonTimer.
I usually search the Blacephalon rather with it´s Stats instead of IV´s. This works good for me . My last try was super close. My target frame was 4653 and when I checked what I got, I found out that I hit 4662 . So if I understood you right, I should add the +18, the RNG report shows me, to my target frame, right? So I get 4671. If I fill this now in EonTimer to adjust it, and klick on update, "Lag" shows something like 10460 [not sure if this is really the number but I am sure that even if it was another one, it was still a way too high , because I know now, that there were just a few milliseconds that made the difference].

I tried it with other results as well , but the lag number is always super high and delays all of my Times, that need to be hit, for too long, so I won´t hit the right one at all.

I know that there are just 0.03s sometimes that keep me away from my desired Pokemon but the Lag delays for minutes sometimes, so I guess something is wrong.
I assume that it´s because of the high number that you have to fill in as Target Frame on EonTimer. For example: I typed in 14390 and I hit frame 6700. The system will then give me again a super high lag, which is defintely too high.

Can you help me with this ?
Thanks again ! :)

Last edited:

pilica12

Oh right, that was an ambiguous way to putting it.

OK, at the absolute beginning of any RNG, keep the lag at 0 (at this stage, I would also recommend you reset and use lag 0). After you search with the tool and find the frame that you want, you input that frame number into the Main RNG Tool. Say, for example, my starting frame is 485 (8 hand-searches), and my target frame is 6000 (as before). I put that into the Time Calculator (bottom right-hand part of the Main RNG Tool). Hit calculate and it will pop up a tab saying "Set EonTimer for <such-and-such> F." It is this value that you put into EonTimer's "Target Frame" box, NOT the other one from the list of spreads in the 3DS RNG Tool.

Afterwards, when you use the Shift/F, you add the Shift/F value to THIS value. For the sake of concreteness, in my previous example, settings of 485 to 6000 gives me 14126F according to the Time Calculator. Say I hit a frame with a Shift/F of +18, as you did. Then I would calculate the frame hit like this: 14126 + (+18) = 14144. I would then put this value into the EonTimer's "Frame Hit" box then click update. The lag then becomes much more usable. In general, from experience, lag should be around +/-1000, although slightly more either way (especially doing Wormhole RNGs) is also fine. If it's more than +/-2000, you can be relatively sure you've buggered something.

And as mentioned before, don't forget to pull up the menu with X as soon as you start the game, to prevent fidgeting (which will also mess up your time calculations).

I finally made it and after many tries, I had finally success and got the first one. After just 10 minutes or something, I got the second one as well. Now I just want to catch more Pokemon, and I am rather interested in legendaries and UB, because "normal" Pokemon can be bred fastly, especially with a 5 or 6 IV ditto, So I guess this is would be better.

After finding a "lag" which worked good for me, I really would like to know, if there is now a much higher chance for hitting the right Frames? For example: I want to rng poipole, can I just jeep this "lag" and adjust it again then, when I did not hit the frame, or do I have to do it all over again?

Also: I read that there are invisable Npc's, at some spots of the UB, so I wounder what I should type in now? Magearna has 6 or 7.
(using this guide: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/generation-7-encounter-and-gift-rng-guide-gp-1-2.3613216/)
How do I find out, what I should type in ?

And one more thing about the legendaries. Am I right, that there is no possibility to check, if you hit the right Frame etc. ? Because if I have to find my lag all over again, catching legendaries can be extremely annyoing by getting forced to catch them all time. I still have my masterball, but It´s just one, so is there any trick, that makes it easier ? And is there a delay that I should consider, because I cant encounter them with honey.

Thanks as always ! (:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)