Monster Hunter General Discussion

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!

Monster Hunter XX, March 2017

Can't wait!!

MHX had been so much of a pushover, can't wait for the G rank quests to return!!

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
My mind is still baffled at how making 4 styles is easier than porting tonfas. Capcom seems to be digging themselves in a real hole with this latest entry since it forces them to stick with 6 styles in MH5 which will have some backlash (in addition to prowler + styles). G rank quests are kinda the same as high/low rank once you get the rank appropriate gear ._. unless something huge comes out. Hype tho since MHgen was kinda the most dead i feel the series has been

Anthiese

formerly Jac
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
heres to hoping that subspecies will be a thing

also wake me up when mh5 is a thing bc i personally couldnt get into gen to save my life

the only thing keeping me afloat is bow shit is cute and i want mizu / malfestio shit

Did anyone else ever play the iOS version of Freedom Unite?
I got it recently and was dismayed that the online doesn't work anymore, although that's to be expected, and the controls are a bit wanky.
I usually play as a light bow gunner, and the aiming is super sensitive with no way to turn down the sensitivity.
At the end of the day though it's still Monster Hunter on my phone :P

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
So I was I'm thinking of preordering Monster Hunter Worlds for my PS4 after really enjoying monster Hunter Gens for 3ds which was my first monster Hunter game. Can I get your opinions on monster Hunter world so from the trailers and bits of videos on if it would be a good choice considering I've only played one other game in the series?

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So I was I'm thinking of preordering Monster Hunter Worlds for my PS4 after really enjoying monster Hunter Gens for 3ds which was my first monster Hunter game. Can I get your opinions on monster Hunter world so from the trailers and bits of videos on if it would be a good choice considering I've only played one other game in the series?
Played 4U, Gen, X, and XX and from what I've played of world in the both the betas they've done along with what I've seen in all the pre-release it is definitely worth the get (would dare say even if it's your first game in the mh franchise). Since you played Gen, World just makes so many improvements when it comes to gameplay, mechanics, multiplayer, etc that I think you'll like what you see. I recommend trying out the upcoming third beta for it on Jan 19th-22nd (open to everyone not just PS+) to come up with your own conclusion. Do note the demo lacks a lot of the quality of life improvements they made in the full game when it comes to multiplayer and the like but it's good to test out the changes they've made to weapons and how hunts work now.

Newbie to the series but I really enjoyed the World beta so I'm gonna be grabbing the PS4 version. Still not completely sure what weapons I'll go for but I get the feeling I'll really like the Charge Blade once I can get a proper handle on it, Longsword was my initial choice but I'm not huge on having to land the entire 4-hit Spirit combo (or a successful Foresight Slash) to level up the secondary meter. Both Lances look neat though (Gunlance looks more fun to attack with but Lance's mobility options look really nice) and Switch Axe seems decent too...Dual Blades was the weapon I had the most success with since it's the simplest and I love the mobility on the circle attack in Demon Mode. Still didn't beat Nergi in the time limit, though I got him down to limping/sleeping several times.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Newbie to the series but I really enjoyed the World beta so I'm gonna be grabbing the PS4 version. Still not completely sure what weapons I'll go for but I get the feeling I'll really like the Charge Blade once I can get a proper handle on it, Longsword was my initial choice but I'm not huge on having to land the entire 4-hit Spirit combo (or a successful Foresight Slash) to level up the secondary meter. Both Lances look neat though (Gunlance looks more fun to attack with but Lance's mobility options look really nice) and Switch Axe seems decent too...Dual Blades was the weapon I had the most success with since it's the simplest and I love the mobility on the circle attack in Demon Mode. Still didn't beat Nergi in the time limit, though I got him down to limping/sleeping several times.
A few of us are getting the PS4 version, so hop on discord or send me a message and we can play together over the weekend.

BP

Beers and Steers
is a Contributor to Smogon
I alreayd Preorderd it and I should get it the day it comes out. I'd be more than happy to hunting with any of you!

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
Not sure if I should buy a PS4 for this (hate sony) or wait for the PC release...I'm already hyped on Dauntless though

After quite liking World, I imported XX/Generations Ultimate. Somewhat mixed feelings, on one hand it's got a massive amount of content, both in terms of monsters and other stuff like the weapon styles. On the other hand, the amount of smaller quality of life/mechanical/etc improvements that World made to the series is pretty staggering, I'd have a hard time recommending it to anyone who didn't really, really love World.

Not that it's a bad game, just a quality vs quantity thing. It seems like the business model with MH is to build on all of the previous games so if anything it makes me really excited for a potential future game where we have the monster variety of GU and the quality of World.

Brave/Valor style is also really good. Maybe even too good, I can't imagine playing some weapons like Dual Blades or Greatsword without it, Dual Blades can draw into a spinning slash that covers a good amount of distance and allows you to stay mobile, whereas Greatsword can draw into a super-fast strong charge, or dash forwards before using the regular charge attack from unsheathed. In particular it seems to make Adept style mostly irrelevant, since your better offensive moves aren't tied to the Adept evade that frequently leaves you in a bad position for attacking.

Yeah, I can't imagine going back to older games now after well over 100hrs of MHW. No matter how much I love Gen's flagship monsters ( specially the Mizutsune and its gorgeous, gorgeous armorset & weapons ) , there's just too much QoL improvements that I'm not willing to let go. I would only really recommend XX/GU to people who've played past entries, but missed out on Gen.

Btw, Adept & Aerial are widely regarded as the best Hunter Styles in Gen because they basically make you impervious to damage thanks to lengthy invulnerability frames. There isn't a single thing you can't cheese with Aerial Dual Blades. It truly gets close to trivializing the whole game.

After finishing it I'm actually feeling somewhat negative on XX/GU. Besides the design/qol issues that got fixed or improved on in World (not that World is perfect by any means), I think more than anything else the thing that brings it down for me is the length of hunts, especially with how G-rank doesn't scale at all with number of hunters so fights end up being too easy with multiple hunters and too tedious if you try to do it solo, though it gets pretty bad towards the end of HR Village too. Rather than a sense of accomplishment after finishing a solo hunt my feelings were usually closer to "thank god that's finally over".

The amount of content is pretty staggering but also kind of poorly laid out, Deviants are a neat idea but in a game based off grinding and reward, there's no point to doing them unless you're planning to put in a pretty massive grind before getting any return. And despite there being like 100 different weapon upgrade paths for each weapon type, in G rank I used a grand total of 4 across all weapon types because most of them I would've had to do a ton of pre-G grinding to get to G levels. This is probably less of an issue if you're importing a save from Generations but they could've let you forge new ones with additional G rank materials or something, idk.

On the other hand, Hunter Arts and especially Styles are pretty cool and I hope they make a comeback in later games, and there were a lot of fun monsters, personal favorites offhand being Valfalk and Zamtrios, and maybe Astalos and Mizutsune. Atlal Ka is also a pretty cool monster from a conceptual standpoint and also the only monster that I feel like made a good final boss fight, Xenojiva/Alatreon/Nakarkos were all pretty lame.

Yeah, I can't imagine going back to older games now after well over 100hrs of MHW. No matter how much I love Gen's flagship monsters ( specially the Mizutsune and its gorgeous, gorgeous armorset & weapons ) , there's just too much QoL improvements that I'm not willing to let go. I would only really recommend XX/GU to people who've played past entries, but missed out on Gen.

Btw, Adept & Aerial are widely regarded as the best Hunter Styles in Gen because they basically make you impervious to damage thanks to lengthy invulnerability frames. There isn't a single thing you can't cheese with Aerial Dual Blades. It truly gets close to trivializing the whole game.
Aerial I didn't really use much, having the goofy flip on the end of your roll even if you didn't roll into the monster was difficult to get used to. I probably should've played with Adept more than I did, but ended up sticking to Brave for the most part. It's a lot easier to use defensively since you can keep the Brave Stance up for several seconds if you have the stamina, though you still take some red damage. World got me into the habit of trying to avoid attacks before they happen rather than dodging them via iframes so it was hard to get out of that mentality too.

But honestly, the movesets that Brave style gets when in Brave mode make it hard to let go of. Greatsword getting the fast strong draw and dashing charge attacks, Dual Blades being in Demon mode constantly instead of having to switch in and out, Longsword ditching the sword power levels and getting a boosted finisher as the final spirit combo hit and guard point on the first hit, Bow getting a 2nd power shot, Switch Axe having the elemental discharge actually be kind of good now (hits twice and doesn't knock you back to Axe mode as long as you still have energy), etc. Admittedly Brave SnS is pretty bad and I'm not sure how I feel about it on Insect Glaive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)