Project Monotype Teambuilding Competition V3.2 [index]

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
~~Offensive Bug~~
Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sticky Web

Armaldo @ Leftovers
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Yanmega @ Life Orb
Ability: Speed Boost
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Volcarona @ Psychium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower

Buzzwole @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Jolly Nature
- Superpower
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Overview
This is Hyper offensive Bug team around Yanmega and Galvantula which was given. Using Volcarona and Mega Scizor as partners in the team, it allows to weaken each others check. Scizor on the team acts as a cleaner and a check to pokemon that threaten yanmega and volcarona such as terrakion,heatran and in return volcarona and yanmega can clear way for scizor by taking out pokemon such as hippowdown,skarmory,celesteela etc. Yanmega on the team is a nice late game sweeper. It has Air slash as a stab move that is the main go-to-move on the set. Giga drain is for water,rock and ground types such as hippowdown,swampert,terrakion. Hp ice allows it to deal with flying and dragon types such as landorus and garchomp. Protect is to get a guaranteed speed boost. Life orb is used as an item to increase the power of its moves. Volcarona is the set up sweeper of the team and appreciates the shared coverage moves of yanmega such as giga drain. PsychiumZ allows volcarona to defeat toxapex easily at +1. As otherwise, toxapex is a pain for this team.Fire blast is its main stab move hitting very hard after a quiver dance. Hp ground is to deal with heatran which otherwise walls this set. Volcarona appreciates scizor taking out checks to volcarona such as chansey.The set for scizor is an offensive scizor set. Bullet punch allows it to take out terrakion which threatens both yanmega and volcarona. Super power is used for heatran,ferrothorn and stuff. Bug bite hits for good damage as boosted by technician. Bug bite on the set can be replaced by U-turn to generate momentum on a predicted switch in and to bring in a teammate safely.Adamant nature is used for more power.Galvantula and Armaldo provide offensive support to the team in the form of stealth rock,sticky webs and Hazard control in rapid spin which is needed since Yanmgea and Volcarona are severely weak to stealth rock in particular. Buzzwole on the team lastly acts as a check to threats such as Mega Charizard Y/X and also speed control of the team sporting a scarf set.

Last edited:
Its Yah Buggzz

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Sticky Web
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Energy Ball

Armaldo @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 172 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Yanmega @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Air Slash
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Volcarona @ Psychium Z
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Quiver Dance
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Right-o another bug team coming your way! Galvantula and Yanmega were a very interesting core to build a team around and as you can probably tell, an offensive bug team was coming.

When a bug team includes Galvantula the first thought that comes to mind is Sticky Web, perhaps bug’s greatest asset. Therefore, the Galvantula set is the typical sticky web set you find on monotype bug as a lead to set up sticky web. For Yanmega, I thought of trying something different: instead of the traditional speed boost cleaner set, I opted for the tinted lens wallbreaking set. Bug STAB and Bug mons have a big weakness in that their primary STAB moves are often easily resisted and opposing mons can swap easily and sponge the attack. A good example of this is how bug struggles against electric as Mega Pinsir and Scizor’s primary STAB moves are resisted by the vast majority of the team and as a result they are ineffectual. I thought Tinted Lens Yanmega would be a good option to counter this and take out large chunks of damage from opposing switch ins. Tinted lens Yanmega is rarely seen on a bug team so this set comes as a big surpise to switch ins expecting to easily sponge the attack. Yanmega’s speed without speed boost is subpar but sticky web support from galvantula greatly remedies this and allows yanmega to dent teams significantly. Choice Specs gives Yanmega very good power and it is often able to 2HKO many mons with effectively unresisted STAB.

The rest of the team is what you would typically find in a bug team. Banded Scizor greatly helps vs rock type matchups and dents mons on the physical side. Volcarona is the premier set up sweeper and can often clean teams with one quiver dance up. Yanmega often helps Volcarona by weakening opposing mons so that volcarona can come in and clean. I chose to give volcarona the pyschium Z set in order to help vs poison teams *cough cough Toxapex. Armaldo is the mandatory spinner of the team and also can set up rocks itself and has further utility in knock off. Lastly scarf heracross is the team’s form of speed control and the snowball moxie potential of heracross can sometimes be too much to handle for opposing teams. Yanmega also greatly helps heracross as it can put certain mons in range for heracross to take out and get a moxie boost.

Ok, first attempt at mono bug, so bear with me. Anyway:

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Sticky Web

Yanmega @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Ancient Power
- Protect

Volcarona @ Firium Z
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Quiver Dance

Heracross @ Heracronite
Adamant Nature
- Pin Missile
- Close Combat
- Rock Blast
- Swords Dance

Armaldo @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Scizor @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Superpower

Ok, so starting off we have the requested core of Galvantula and Yanmega. Galvantula uses a pretty standard set so not much to say here. Yanmega on the other hand is mainly used as a late game sweeper after its checks and counters have been weakened. Air Slash is a reliable STAB to spam, HP Ice to deal with Garchomp, Lando-I, Salamence, etc and Ancient Power to deal with the Zards and Fire types in general. The last slot is of course Protect in order to get a safe speed boost and outspeed naturally faster stuff. Next up is Volcarona which can deal with the steel types Yanmega can´t beat. Fire Blast is used so that the Z move has the highest possible base power, Giga Drain to cover Ground and Water types and on the last slot HP Ground because otherwise Heatran or Toxapex wall this set. On the 4th teamslot I went with Mega Heracross which just punches holes into the opposing team making it easier for Yanmega to clean late game. Moveset´s pretty standard again with Close Combat and Pin Missile as STAB, Rock Blast for coverage and Sword Dance to break apart bulkier teams. Armaldo was added for Rapid Spin which is pretty important for bug teams and the ability to set rocks itself. The EVs allow it to take a Flamethrower from Zard Y after Rocks and OHKO it with Stone Edge. Knock Off adds to its supportive character due to enabling it to remove items from opposing mons. Last but not least is Scizor with a Choice Band further pressuring Yanmega´s checks and counters while also providing a good priority user.
All in all the team utilises strong wallbreakers with mediocre speed and Sticky Webs in order to clear the path for either Volcarona or Yanmega to win late game.

Webs Offense
Armaldo @ Leftovers / Passho Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off / Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Sticky Web
- Energy Ball / Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Yanmega @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- U-turn
- Air Slash
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Volcarona @ Psychium Z
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Quiver Dance

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake / Knock Off

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

On this team i'm running specs tinted lens over life orb speed boost because on webs speed boost is basically a useless outside of some rare conditions and yanmega already has a good speed tier so on webs specs tinted lens is ideal. I'm running modest because of webs and 289 is still a good speed to be at and with webs it is only made better. Specs tinted lens can do massive amounts of damage to resistances even 4x ones. I'm running u-turn over a filler because u-turn makes yanmega a great pivot and offer more then a random filler that wont be used 90% of the time.
Galvantula has already become a staple on most bug teams so fitting this in was more then easy, there's nothing to say about this set everything is extremely standard.
Originally i had araquanid but decided the spdef set didn't really fit and that I wasn't running a CB with two no damaging moves (Sleep Talk & Toxic), scarf heracross offers decent control even without webs, can be a great late game sweeper if played right, on the team i have earthquake / knock off and either of the two or usable on this set. I decided to run this over a Z Move Buzzwole Or CB Buzzwole because i felt i was lacking any speed control if webs didnt get up or are defogged/rapidspinned away so i decided to run with this.
Basically a staple on bug at this point in gen 7 volcarona became one of the best mons due to z moves. Psychium is to beat toxapex which is one of the best volcarona answers barring chansey but thats unbeatable either way barring crits. You can run a passho or chari berry but i feel on offensive webs z move is much better then both.
Armaldo needs no explaining its the teams dedicated rocker and spinner with the standard spdef set. On the team you can run either knock off or toxic depending on what you feel you need more but both are able to be ran. You can also run passho berry to live mons like specs keldeo, greninja, a specs kingdras hydro pump in the rain if rocks aren't up, and a swampert's waterfall. There isn't much to say about this, armaldo is on basically every single bug build and has the same role all the time.
Scizor is the teams mega, bringing great offensive presence with SD Speed in webs and even out of webs, the standard max speed sd set with adamant over jolly because i'm running webs and even without webs it is a decent speed tier.

MEGA YANMA

Yanmega @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Thunder
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Armaldo @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower

Volcarona @ Psychium Z
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Heracross @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit

Yanmega is one of my favourite mons of all time and i absolutely loved using it last gen, since it helped a lot in the Fighting and Dragon matchup. This gen is not as good as last gen but it can still be a good late game cleaner for Bug teams thanks to its ability Speed Boost. First off, we start with the imposted core: Yanmega+Galvantula. Yanmega is run with Protect and Modest to maximize its sweeping power with STAB moves like Bug Buzz and Air Slash, the later one helping a lot against Fighting as i've said before. HP Ice is a coverage move i run over Giga Drain because it gives the team more chances to get rid of Stealth Rock in the Dragon matchup (Armaldo can't repeatedly spin in front of TankChomp due to Rough Skin+Rocky Helmet). Something important to note is that Yanmega can outspeed and OHKO with Bug Buzz Choice Scarf Latios at +2, which is important for a type that struggles with Choice Scarf Latios with HP Fire. The other mon of the core is Galvantula, which is Bug's best Sticky Web setter, ensuring the team gets a source of speed control thanks to Focus Sash. Galvantula is also really useful in the Water matchup and against bulky Water-types like Toxapex and Mantine, since it learns Thunder whose accuracy is boosted by Compound Eyes. Energy Ball is coverage to hit Water-types that are immune to Thunder such as Swampert, Gastrodon, Seismitoad and Lanturn, and HP Ice gives the team another way to ease the Dragon matchup and prevent Stealth Rock. The next thing a Bug team needs is a spinner, and Armaldo it's the best Bug has access to. Rapid Spin is mandatory to get rid of entry hazards, and Rock Blast is the STAB move of choice over Stone Edge to be able to deal with SubToxic Zapdos, which otherwise this team would be very weak to. Knock Off is an utility move that lets Armaldo remove Rocky Helmet from bulky mons like Skarmory to be able to spin repeatedly in front of them, and Stealth Rock helps its teammates to get KOs. Full HP and SpD lets Armaldo take one Fire Blast from Mega Charizard Y under the sun at full health. For the mega slot i chose Mega Scizor, since the other slots were for two things the team needed: Volcarona+Heracross.This meant i couldn't go for Mega Heracross, and Mega Pinsir+Yanmega would have been very redundant. Mega Scizor gives the team a way to deal with massive threats like Nihilego and Terrakion, as well as acting as a cleaner with Sword Dance boosts combined with both STAB moves Bullet Punch and Bug Bite, and coverage for Steel-types in Superpower. Opting for Mega Scizor for the mega slot left the team almost unable to break Toxapex, since even Galvantula can't OHKO it with Thunder. I decided to run Psychium Z Volcarona to solve that problem, with Fire Blast as the STAB move of choice and HP Ground to hit Heatran, which would otherwise wall Volcarona. Volcarona is a 'must' in Bug teams, providing a wincon against Steel teams. For the last slot i opted for Choice Scarf Heracross over Buzzwole (which was my other option) because it learns two powerful STAB moves: Close Combat and Megahorn. Heracross provides the team with a source of speed control outside webs. Stone Edge is to mainly check Mega Charizard Y and help in the Fire matchup, and Pursuit deals a considerable amount of damage to Victini after using V-create when it switches out.

The voting phase has ended, congratulations to Gratify for winning Cycle 15!

Alpha-Harpreet: 3
Alpha Rabbit: 1
Iggy96: 3
Gratify: 4
GoldenTorkoal: 1

Cycle 16 will be up soon, tagging Eien to merge this with the Index thread

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
***Balanced Water Team***
Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Protect
- Scald

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Roar

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Sludge Bomb

Sharpedo-Mega @ Sharpedonite
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Crunch
- Psychic Fangs
- Waterfall

Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Substitute
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- U-turn

Overview:
So this is a balanced water team built around suicune and tentacruel. On the team tentacruel is paired with swampert which has great synergy with tentacruel providing the team with electric immunity,a physical wall and stealth rock support for the team which is essential to almost any team. The spread for swampert specifically 240 hp evs hit a hp number which maximizes leftovers recovery since it is the only form of reliable sustain swampert has. Tentacruel provides the team with toxic spikes and rapid spin support while also checking special attackers thanks to its good special bulk. Tentacruel also outspeeds jolly breloom and adamant tapu bulu and can check both the pokemon with stab sludge bomb which is really good considering aforementioned pokemon are threats to this team.
Suicune on the team acts as a win condition for the team as vincune set is hard to break. The vincune set loves hazards to pressure teams more and force switches and the core of swampert and tentacruel(stealth rock and toxic spikes) provides it which is well complimented for the set. Sharpedo-Mega on the team acts as a good wall breaker or cleaner as it has easier time cleaning late game thanks to hazard support and can dent most pokemon with strong jaw boosted crunch. Gyarados is set up sweeper of the team sporting a flyiniumZ set to check threats such as breloom,Mega venusaur,Tapu bulu etc.Intimidate as ability is used over moxie to find more set up opportunities.Greninja on the team lastly is speed control sporting a scarf set which lets it outspeed a huge portion of metagame and can check threats such as tapu koko,tapu bulu and dragon types with gunk shot and ice beam respectively.
Thank you for reading!

Last edited:
Balance Water w/ Vincune + Tentacruel​
Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 40 SpD / 216 Spe /// 252 HP / 252 Speed / 4 Defense /// 252 HP / 232 Spe / 24 Spdef
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Protect / Toxic
- Substitute
- Calm Mind

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 Spe
Bold Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Knock Off / Haze
- Rapid Spin
- Scald

Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
- Bounce
- Taunt / Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance

Keldeo @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Poison]
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword

Greninja @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Grass Knot / Extrasensory
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Waterfall / Scald
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

The team dedicated rocker it basically speaks for itself, you can run waterfall or scald depending what you feel you need.
Once again not much to say, greninja is basically a staple on most water teams and for good reason, i'm running standard coverage, once again the set speaks for itself.
Despite toxapex's rise to fame tentacruel is still a great mon offering fast spinning, tspikes, and knockoff. The best support suicune can have due to its tspikes
It's vincune....
DD Zmove which has basically become gyaras best set for water with the standard movepool, taunt over eq depending on what you want.
hp poison for bulu, but that's basically all there is to say about keldeo.

Water Hazard Stack

Suicune @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 24 SpD / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Protect

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 172 SpD / 84 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Knock Off

Golisopod @ Life Orb
Ability: Emergency Exit
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spikes
- First Impression
- Liquidation
- Sucker Punch

Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Taunt

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Extrasensory

Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

So this is a team built around the core Vincune+Tentacruel. The best possible set to use on Tentacruel was Toxic Spikes, as they work very well with Vincune thanks to the combination of Protect+Pressure which will make it easier to PP stall the opposing foe. Tentacruel also covers the Grass weakness that Suicune has due to packing neutrality to that type of moves and can get rid of opposing entry hazards with Rapid Spin (as well as being able to absorb Toxic Spikes). After that i needed an Electric immunity and i chose bulky Mega Swampert as the Stealth Rocker for the team which can tank most of neutral physical hits (i know this isn't the best set you can run for Mega Swampert). After that i needed more physical pressure as well as something to cover Tentacruel's weakness to Ground-type moves, so i went with Taunt Flyinium Z Gyarados. Gyarados pressures Mega Venusaur which is one of the biggest threats for Water teams. After that, although i had Mega Swampert as my Electric immunity, the team was really weak to Raichu-Alola due to the combination of Thunderbolt+Grass Knot. So i decided to add a very underrated mon that can check Raichu-Alola with First Impression and Sucker Punch: Golisopod. Golisopod also provides another Grass neutrality and it can force some switches because of its good Attack, being free to set up layers of Spikes to pressure the opposing team. Finally i needed some source of speed control, and Greninja is the best bet for Water to cover that role outside rain teams. It can check threats like Tapu Bulu, Tapu Koko and the powerful Dragon-types.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)