Project Monotype Teambuilding Competition V3.1 Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Approved by scpinion, project taken over from 6ti, banner by Zarif)

Hello and welcome to the Monotype edition of the Teambuilding Competition! The goal of this project is to observe and better understand how experienced Mono players go about building their teams around a particular core. It's also a great way to improve and refine your own teambuilding skills, or just simply learn how others do it! Anyone is free to participate and I encourage as much discussion as possible; however, I'd like to point out that you do not have to post a team to contribute to this thread. Feedback is allowed and actually preferred in this thread, so if you have comments or concerns about someone's team, don't be afraid to post it! The process is as follows:

Each round, I will choose a core of two Pokemon from a specific Type. It is then up to you to build a team around it, designing sets, teammates, roles, and everything in between. Identifying weaknesses, strategies, and so forth are key parts of teambuilding and I'm quite interested to see how that carries through in this thread. I also hope to emphasize a lot of creativity with this as well—new gems and underrated Pokemon and cores are popping up all the time, and hopefully this thread can bring about a lot of new discoveries about the metagame! At the beginning of each voting stage I will open a poll with 5 randomly selected types. The poll will run for the 3 days leading up to the end of the voting stage. From there I will create a core, or choose one suggested by a user. After the submission period is over (which will be after a week) I will announce the voting period, where you will get 3 days to vote on what you think is the best team. By the end of the voting period, the votes will be tallied and team with the most votes will be archived in the Hall of Fame I will be posting below, and the process will start again with a new core. This idea is like the CC (Core Challenges) Program except it lets anyone share their team!
Some rules I'm expecting people to follow:
  • Make the post presentable. Fancy cute sprites are encouraged! (Think about size though)
  • Make sure you have a paragraph describing how your team functions and how it supports the core. If I wanted to look at a pastebin of some mediocre team, I would go to the RMT forum and hunt for the locked threads made by users with such pristine names like Pikachu77.
  • Don't insult users if their teams aren't up to standard, feel free to question why people are running certain things or suggest changes that will make the team better. In fact, I highly encourage discussion but don't be rude about it. Basically, just don't be a jackass. Use hide tags when posting your team. Don't be that douchebag that makes everyone scroll down for an extra 5 seconds. If you don't put spoiler boxes, either fix it or I won't feature the team in the voting process.
  • Be creative! While there'll be no restrictions this time around, try to explore uncommon Pokemon if circumstances allow it. Channel your inner hipster.
  • You are allowed to edit your teams with testing and / or feedback from other people (i.e. you realize it sucks or gets 6-0ed by something), however be sure to make note of these edits in the original post. Once the voting period begins however, you cannot edit your teams anymore.

• No banners or videos. They are annoying and clog the thread. If you do post a banner or video with your team, it will simply not be counted among the submissions without notice.

(Note: If a Pokemon is banned from the Monotype meta during a cycle, the ban will take place effective immediately. This means that you may or may not have to edit a team during a cycle.)
Happy building, everyone!

Last edited:
Hall Of Fame
This is where winning teams from previous cycles are archived, along with the winner's post.
Confluxx's Team
Ticktick's Team
Confluxx's Team
terrors' Team
Seo.'s Team
Seo.'s Team
Paleo's Team
Seo.'s Team
Dece1t's Team
Seo.'s Team
Dece1t's Team
Attribute's Team
Dece1t's Team
Izaya.'s Team
Eien's Team
ChildOfDisorder's Team
Hammy's Team
Alpha-Harpreet's Team

Last edited:
So, to quickly explain what happened to the old forum: Essentially we got mixed in with the old archived gen 6 forums and it was closed accidentally, but no big deal, we're back!

As with Cycle 1, seeing as teambuilding would've ended tomorrow anyway, I'm just going to end it now. I'm sorry if you didn't get to post your team, but I'll allow extra time next cycle!

Side Note: Since the forum was locked before people could finish editing their posts, I'll grant amnesty on needing a description for this cycle.

Remember to vote for only two teams, and not your own! The voting phase will end on Monday, 12/5/16
As for Cycle 2's type, you can vote for the type you wish to see done next week here.

Last edited:
I let the voting phase run out a little longer this time because we didn't get a lot of votes, I'll need to advertise more to let people know where the new thread is.

The winner of Cycle 1, the first cycle of Gen 7, is Jo' Z! Congratulations!

Moving on to Cycle 2, the type this week will be Steel, and the Pokemon will be...

Mega-Scizor, and...

...Kartana!
Best of luck, Teambuilders! The deadline for the teambuilding portion of this cycle is next Thursday (12/15/16)!

Last edited:

maroon

free palestine
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Team Rateris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
RMT & Mono Leader

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch

Kartana @ Grassnium Z (set by Tsunami)
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 19 Atk
- Swords Dance
- Sacred Sword
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earth Power

Celesteela @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Toxic
- Heavy Slam

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Magearna @ Air Balloon
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 20 HP / 252 SpA / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Fleur Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Energy Ball

Scizor runs 92 speed to outspeed Rotom Wash with 0 speed. This scizor set is very traditional with the setup, roost and double stab which helps in many matchups that steel has an advantage over while having SE coverage for dark and psychic with Bug Bite. Kartana's attack IVs allow Kartana to get Speed boosts from Beast Boost while still allowing Kartana to hit really strong especially boosted by a Swords Dance with Leaf Blade and Smart Strike as their main stab being able tovhelp steel in matchups such as Water and Ground while Sacred Sword is to hit more pokemon like the swords of justice in Terrakion and Cobalion. Scizor and Kartana are a very nice offensive core but is very weak to fire. Heatran is the teams offensive stealth rocker and can help trap opposing bulky walls and taunt them to help the team slowly chip them down. Although heatran didn't have toxic, magma storm and taunt still break walls pretty well while also allowing the team to be more diverse because heatran can set the rocks. Celesteela is this teams wall with access to very annoying status moves such as Toxic and support moves like Leech Seed and Protect make Celesteela a very annoying pokemon to take down. Heavy Slam is to hit all pokemon very had as Celesteela has the weight for a pokemon to make Heavy Slam extremely powerful while Air Slash can flinch down opponents with Toxic and Leech Seed while hitting Fighting and Grass types for supereffective damage. Excadrill is the teams main hazard removal and soeed control with a choice scarf. Excadrill makes a very nice wincon vs the extremely popular and potent electric type which can make Steel struggle alot. Excadrill also can help vs the Flying type matchup as a late game wincon with scarfed Rock Slide. Finally Magearna is the teams main sweeper and can switch into a Ground attacks thanks to balloon. Shift Gear Magearna allows it to beat common chouce scarfed pokemon with base 100 speed after 1 shift gear. Its moves are purely coverage to help steel in some annoying matchups like Dark, Water, Ground, Flying and Dragon.

Last edited:

isak (Empoleon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Scald
- Roar

even (Scizor) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Bug Bite

sana (Kartana) @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Night Slash
- Smart Strike
- Psycho Cut
- Leaf Blade

noora (Heatran) @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Taunt

vilde (Excadrill) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

eva (Celesteela) @ Shed Shell
EVs: 248 HP / 12 Def / 248 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Flamethrower

first time i try to play monotype so bear with me. after adding kartana and scyther, i decided to go w/ heatran bc it was a pretty good way to cover the very big fire weakness that i already had; i went with an offensive set because i find it pretty cool. later on, i added empoleon in order to get a way to set hazards up and take fire type moves too. i think that empoleon is really fun and it helped me tons of times, while excadrill eases my matchup against electric teams. celesteela's typing is hella cool and i think it fits pretty well.

Last edited:

Red Devils + (A Skarm?)

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance

Magearna-Original @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Aura Sphere

Kartana @ Salac Berry
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword/Night Slash/Psycho Cut

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Heatran @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power

Excadrill @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

Basically, the entire premise of the team is to let either Kartana or Mega Scizor sweep late game w/ Hazard Stack. And it just so happens that the aesthetic is pretty nice too. ;]

- The first of the core, Mega Scizor, is not only used as my sweeper but it also acts as a third entity to my wall core. With the introduction of Thousand Arrows Zygarde, Skarm is no longer a switch-in so I felt like a tertiary Ground sponge was needed as neither Skarm or Balloon Tran can switch in. Max HP + Max Def allows it to easily take a hit from any Zygarde set while also 2HKO'ing standard ZyDog with BP after Rocks; it's a 97.7% chance to OHKO otherwise.

- The second of the core, Kartana, is used as my late game Cleaner. Ideally, Scarf Kartana would act better as a Cleaner but I found that a Sub Salac set can act as a decent Cleaner as well as a formidable Set Up Sweeper. At +1, It can outspeed most Scarfers and initiate a sweep as its Attack continues to rise with every kill. Something I find unique about this set is that faster Physical Attackers rarely OHKO with an Unboosted Neutral Attack, allowing it to either Sub up on them or immediately get the Salac speed boost as you SD on it. A good example being Banded Zydog, due to its current relevancy. It can take a Thousand Arrows and Sub on it while gaining the Salac Boost and proceeds to OHKO it w/ Leaf Blade 100% of the time. As for its second attacking move, it really depends on your preference. Smart Strike is very sub-par as it doesn't add much to the table while also being relatively weak but other moves like Scared Sword helps with Steel v Steel Matchup, Night Slash helps with Ghost & Psychic v Steel match-up and Psycho Cut helps with Fighting v Steel match-up in conjunction with having a way to touch Poison types.

The rest of the team act to patch up and support this core. Skarm is still the best Ground switch-in Steel has to offer and supplies Spikes support in addition to Whirlwind which is crucial in the effectiveness of the team. Tran is self-explanatory as it sponges Fire attacks in addition to switching into other Heatrans. AV Magearna adds a VoltTurn core with Mega Scizor and is used as a Pivot and generally hits very hard while retaining its incredible Special bulk. The Excadrill set is a bit iffy but, in an attempt to not be completely standard, I opted for a Sub Toxic SpDef set as it helps tremendously with the looming Electric Weakness while also being able to weaken the opponent's team for my two Set Up Sweepers.

Note: Overall, it's a decent team but it should be noted that the Fire match-up - especially w/ Infernape- can prove to be incredibly one-sided as a lot of strain is put on Heatran. A Scarf Excadrill helps a lot in this match up so it may be beneficial to opt for that set if it concerns you.

252 Atk Kartana Leaf Blade vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 250-295 (100 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 145-172 (55.9 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Zygarde Thousand Arrows vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Scizor-Mega: 105-124 (30.6 - 36.1%) -- 51.9% chance to 3HKO
0 Atk Technician Scizor-Mega Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 123-145 (49.2 - 58%) -- 97.7% chance to 2HKO

Last edited:

Red Devils + (A Skarm?)

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 Def
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance

Magearna @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Aura Sphere

Kartana @ Salac Berry
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Brave Bird

Heatran @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power

Excadrill @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Substitute
- Toxic
- Rapid Spin

To be continued...
Skarmory's wings are red, so it still fits the theme ;) (this won't be a 1 liner for long, posting a team over this soon)

The Teambuilding portion of Cycle 2 of the Monotype Teambuilding Competition has now come to a close! Congratulations to all who participated!

Remember to vote for only two teams, and not your own! The voting phase will end on Sunday, 12/18/16!
As for Cycle 3's type, you can vote for the type you wish to see done next week here.

Also, on a side note:
this won't be a 1 liner for long, posting a team over this soon
RIP Dece1t Forever a one-liner.

Last edited:
When banners arent allowed but youtube videos are
You make a good point, so I updated the rules. From now on, videos are not allowed in posts, effective next cycle.

~~~

The winner of Cycle 2 is The Excadrill, congratulations!

As for Cycle 3... The type this week will be Rock... and the Pokemon will be...

Alolan Golem, and...

...Omastar!
Best of luck, Teambuilders! The deadline for submissions for Cycle 3 will be next Tuesday, 12/27/16!
Also, as a side note, Happy Holidays to those of you celebrating!

Last edited:

Harpp

No rain, no flowers.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Sticky Web
- Knock Off

Omastar @ Air Balloon
Ability: Shell Armor
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Rash Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Stone Edge

Golem-Alola @ Expert Belt
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 184 Atk / 160 SpA / 164 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Wild Charge
- Fire Blast

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Aerial Ace
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Hazard setter shuckle,Stealth rock Is to pressure types and Pokemon that are weak to it. Sticky web helps terrakion to outspeed grounded Pokemon and demolish with choice banded attacks. Encore is used to lock set up Pokemon,opposing hazard setters and passive Pokemon for free switches.knock off is used in the 4th slot to get rid of items on opposing Pokemon like evolite,scarf,band and such. Mental herb is used so that shuckle can at least set one hazard.
Shell smash omastar helps against ground and water teams. Air balloon is used to switch on a predicted choice locked ground type move and set up shell smash. Omastar can easily switch on a predicted move ground move with air balloon and set shell smash and sweep. 252 Speed with modest nature,sticky webs and with a shell smash under its belt, outspeeds a lot of things and just sweeps. Earth power is used for opposing steel types that take less from surf and hp grass.
Choice banded terrakion hits like a truck and has no switch ins! Really helps against steel. Usually it dents opposing team every time it comes in. Sticky webs again help terrakion to outspeed and kill stuff with choice band. Banded close combat 2hkos skarmory and is a good move to spam with terrakion. Stone edge is for flying types that take less from close combat. Zen headbutt is used for opposing fighting types and earthquake is a filler move and it can be replaced by iron head.
I'm using Assault vest tyranitar on this team as I needed something to absorb special attacks for the team. With AV and sand boosting its sp.def,it can take even stab water and grass moves head on. I'm running a mixed set to help out against things like skarmory,ferrothorn and landorous. However tyranitar cannot switch into landorous but it can survive one earth power and kill it with ice beam. Stone edge is used to hit flying types hard.
Alolan Golem does a very good job of dealing with steel types like scizor who can sweep entire rock team. Since Alolan golem doesn't learn fire punch,this set has been tweaked and made so that with the given sp.attack Evs and expert belt it will always ohko scizor and alolan golem will outspeed it with sticky webs up! Scizor in return cannot ohko even at +2. So this Set which was introduced by bitana does a very good job of killing steel types in conjunction of its ability magnet pull. Wild charge for stab which hits decently hard. Stone edge is a stronger stab move and it doesn't have the recoil effect of wild charge. Earthquake is a filler move which hits a lot of Pokemon for super effective damage.
Since mega Diance is unreleased,and I needed immediate speed I opted for mega aerodactyl. M-Aerodactyl helps against fighting monoteams to an extent.The set is standard for most part however fire blast is used so that it has a chance to 2hko stuff like ferrothorn and skarmory which wont mind taking its other moves. Minior can be a replacement for mega aerodactyl.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/azure-gen7monotype-50406 vs bug(see A-golem checking +2 scizor)

TheAce22

Banned deucer.

SoA>WoA?
A rock team built by TheAce22 and Overseer.

Golem-Alola @ Air Balloon
Ability: Galvanize
Happiness: 0
EVs: 232 HP / 252 Atk / 24 SpA
Naughty Nature
- Explosion
- Frustration
- Fire Blast
- Stone Edge

Omastar @ Air Balloon
Ability: Weak Armor
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Shell Smash
- Ice Beam

Tyranitar @ Babiri Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Earthquake/Ice Punch

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Recover
- Mirror Coat
- Seed Bomb
- Earthquake/Rock Slide

Terrakion @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sticky Web
- Infestation
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Starting the team with the given core Overseer and I decided to run an Explosion Galvanise set on my Golem. I added Frustration as a nice STAB along with Stone Edge. Then I added Fire Blast to the set for Mega Scizor and added 24 EV's in SpA to be able to OHKO fully offensive Mega Sciz and put the rest in HP and ATK. I then added the standard Ground killer Omastar set with Balloon and HP Grass. After this I added a rather unusual Tyranitar set running Dragon Dance with Babiri Berry. The reason for this is it will allow Ttar to easily survive a Meteor Mash from a Metagross and attempt to retaliate with a +1 Crunch, assuming no BP, which is not run by many people. Earthquake can be ran to kill mons such as Bisharp when set up while Ice Punch is great for killing Pokemon such as Garchomp. Due to my huge water weakness I added a Cradily with Mirror Coat which allows it to threaten many strong special attackers such as Landorus, which otherwise could tear through my team. Missing Stealth Rock I decided to add a Shuckle which would also allow me to set up webs, something very important for big attackers on my team such as Golem or my last Pokemon. The last Pokemon is a CB Terrakion, which in my opinion is the most important Pokemon for a rock team to have. It can honestly give you a chance in just about any match-up with webs support.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)