[Monotype/Fighting] Mega Medicham

(approved by scpinion)

QC: Balor / Vid / SirSkit
GP: The Dutch Plumberjack / GatoDelFuego

[OVERVIEW]

**Fighting**:

Mega Medicham is one of the most powerful Fighting-type Pokemon thanks to Pure Power boosting its base 100 Attack to monstrous levels. This, combined with its great STAB options in High Jump Kick and Zen Headbutt, makes Mega Medicham one of the premier wallbreakers for Fighting teams, able to break through defensive cores such as Skarmory + Zapdos and other walls such as Clefable. Notably, Mega Medicham's use of Zen Headbutt makes it the most reliable check to Mega Venusaur, a huge threat to Fighting teams. Thanks to its access to priority in Fake Out and Bullet Punch, Mega Medicham can even act as a revenge killer; in particular, Bullet Punch allows Mega Medicham to reliable revenge kill Mega Diancie and Choice Scarf Gardevoir. Mega Medicham suffers from four-moveslot syndrome, though, as it cannot run optimal coverage to avoid being walled by common threats to Fighting teams, such as Slowbro, Doublade, and Sableye. Mega Medicham's subpar bulk also makes it difficult to take hits from even weak walls like Hippowdon. This is especially problematic because Mega Medicham's Speed leaves it easily revenge killed by Choice Scarf users such as Victini and revenge killers such as Mega Lopunny. Nevertheless, Mega Medicham's unparalleled power makes it stand out as the best Fighting-type Mega Evolution.

[SET]
name: Wallbreaker (Fighting)
move 1: High Jump Kick
move 2: Zen Headbutt
move 3: Bullet Punch
move 4: Fake Out
item: Medichamite
ability: Pure Power
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 248 Atk / 8 Def / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

With 130 Base Power, High Jump Kick is an absurdly powerful Fighting-type STAB attack that breaks almost anything that isn't immune to it or doesn't resist it. Zen Headbutt serves as the preferred Psychic-type STAB attack thanks to its great coverage with High Jump Kick, checking Poison-types such as Mega Venusaur while doing great damage to Flying- and Fairy-types, such as Zapdos and Clefable, providing a guaranteed 2HKO on both. While it is more accurate and avoids making contact, Psycho Cut lacks the power to reliably 2HKO Clefable, making it difficult to consider. Bullet Punch gives Mega Medicham a priority move to hit faster targets, easing its matchup against offensive teams, and OHKOes Mega Diancie, which can sweep Fighting teams. Fake Out is used primarily to give Mega Medicham a free turn to safely Mega Evolve against faster foes while also breaking Sturdy from the likes of Forretress.

Set Details
========

8 Defense EVs allow Mega Medicham to always survive Pinsir's Quick Attack as it Mega Evolves, giving Mega Medicham a chance to deal huge damage with Zen Headbutt. 248 Attack EVs and an Adamant nature allow Mega Medicham to be as powerful as possible, notably always 2HKOing physically defensive Clefable with Zen Headbutt. Maximum Speed investment makes Mega Medicham as fast as possible. A Jolly nature can be used to give Mega Medicham even more Speed, allowing it to Speed tie with other positive-natured base 100s, such as Manaphy, and outspeed Mega Garchomp to OHKO them, but Mega Medicham will greatly miss the power that Adamant provides.

Usage Tips
========

To safely Mega Evolve for the greater bulk and Speed, Medicham should use Fake Out against faster foes. Against slower foes, since Fake Out is often actually detrimental if the opponent decides to switch out, Mega Medicham can simply choose to fire off a STAB attack. Fake Out should also be used to break Sturdy, Multiscale, and Focus Sash, which prevent Mega Medicham from OHKOing certain targets such as Forretress, Dragonite, and Breloom. Fake Out is very useful for stalling turns of rain and sand against Water and Ground teams, respectively, as Fighting teams often have a lot of trouble against Swift Swim Kingdra and Sand Rush Excadrill. Against offensive teams, Mega Medicham should take advantage of the priority of Fake Out and Bullet Punch to serve as a makeshift revenge killer that can pick off weakened foes. As one of the strongest wallbreakers, Mega Medicham should be used as much as possible early-game to help break down the likes of Zapdos and Mega Venusaur to assist its team. To this end, it's relatively safe to fire off a High Jump Kick in most cases, as even Pokemon that resist it, such as Thundurus, will take a serious amount of damage, although one should be careful of using it against Pokemon that carry Protect such as Ferrothorn or Ghost-types such as Doublade due to the possibility of recoil. Mega Medicham can beat most defensive Pokemon such as Chansey and Ferrothorn, but it has a hard time safely switching directly into them due to their use of status moves, which can permanently cripple it. In particular, burns and paralysis can make it almost impossible to wallbreak. Furthermore, Mega Medicham does need to be careful of Normal teams using Ditto, as Fighting teams can be swept by Ditto if it safely copies Mega Medicham. Due to its unimpressive Speed and poor bulk, Mega Medicham is very easy to revenge kill and should try to avoid staying in and taking unnecessary damage from most faster Pokemon, such as Landorus.

Team Options
========

One of Mega Medicham's best teammates is Choice Specs Keldeo, as they form a powerful wallbreaking core. Keldeo is also a great check to many Ghost-types, as all but Gourgeist-XL and Jellicent are easily KOed by Scald. Mega Medicham in return can take out Mega Venusaur and most Grass-types. Choice Scarf Heracross is an almost necessary partner, as it easily checks most Psychic-types that wall Mega Medicham such as Slowbro and Mew with its STAB Megahorn. In return, Mega Medicham breaks many of the Pokemon that wall Heracross, such as Skarmory and Gastrodon. Choice Scarf Terrakion is also a great cleaner that appreciates Mega Medicham's ability to break down most of its checks, opening up a chance for Terrakion to sweep late-game. Stealth Rock support from Cobalion and Infernape is always welcome, as it helps Mega Medicham always OHKO Dragonite and 2HKO offensive Landorus-T, and both can also use Taunt to prevent entry hazards from chipping away at Mega Medicham. Blocking Sticky Web with Taunt is especially important, as Mega Medicham cannot afford to have its Speed be reduced further. Cobalion is nice for its unique Volt Switch support to bring Mega Medicham in safely and its use of Thunder Wave to slow down potential threats for Mega Medicham to take out. Cobalion also serves as a good check to Fairy-types with its STAB Iron Head. On the other hand, Infernape is a more offensive Stealth Rock setter that puts pressure on Doublade and Sableye, both of which utterly wall Mega Medicham. Breloom's use of Spore makes it a good support for Mega Medicham, able to put a check to sleep, and it can use Bullet Seed to KO Slowbro and generally check Water-types very well, able to more reliably take on Azumarill.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

**Fighting**:

Mega Medicham needs most of its main moves but can attempt to run alternative coverage moves. Ice Punch can be used to surprise and KO Dragon-types such as Latios and Garchomp as they switch into it. On the other hand, Thunder Punch is another option for hitting Slowbro and OHKOing Azumarill after Stealth Rock damage but generally offers poor coverage. However, Bullet Punch helps Mega Medicham's matchup against offense and Mega Diancie, while Zen Headbutt helps Mega Medicham break Mega Venusaur and many Fairy-types, making these two alternatives difficult to justify.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fighting**:

**Sableye**: As Mega Medicham's greatest counter, Sableye is immune to almost all of its attacks and can cripple it with Will-O-Wisp. Sableye can always switch into Mega Medicham, neutering it completely.

**Faster Pokemon**: Mega Medicham is very easily revenge killed by almost any faster Pokemon, such as Sand Rush Excadrill and Landorus. Some, like Choice Scarf Kyurem-B, do need to be careful of Mega Medicham's Fake Out + Bullet Punch combination, though.

**Psychic-types**: As they resist both of Mega Medicham's STAB attacks, Psychic-types can easily check it. Slowbro is notable for paralyzing Mega Medicham and not being threatened by it at all outside of the rare Thunder Punch, while the likes of Latios and Victini can OHKO it.

**Ghost-types**: Many Ghost-types, such as Gengar, are great checks to Mega Medicham, as it cannot use High Jump Kick for fear of recoil damage. Doublade is particularly notable for its fantastic typing, which makes Mega Medicham deal almost no damage to it at all, while being able to use Mega Medicham as setup fodder.

**Fairy-types**: While Fairy-types such as Azumarill, Choice Scarf Togekiss, and Choice Scarf Gardevoir cannot safely switch into it, most can OHKO Mega Medicham with their STAB attacks

**Status**: All forms of status cripple Mega Medicham greatly; paralysis quarters its already unimpressive Speed, allowing many more Pokemon such as Hoopa-U to revenge kill it, and burns halve its damage, making it incapable of breaking some walls such as Mandibuzz. Toxic poison wears Mega Medicham down very quickly and makes Fake Out a much less desirable move to use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
[OVERVIEW]
  • It does get coverage to hit Slowbro and Doublade in Thunder Punch and Fire Punch, so instead of saying it lacks the coverage say how it suffers from 4 move slot syndrome and can't afford to run those moves because dual STAB, Fake Out and BP are much more important.
Usage Tips
  • Mention how it can't be used against Normal teams with Ditto because when Ditto copies Mega Medicham the game is pretty much over. If not here, you could mention it in checks and counters or something.
  • Specifically mention the types of teams that run rain and sand, such as Swift Swim Water teams and Ground teams with Hippowdon and Excadrill.
Checks and Counters
  • Give status its own section due to how much it cripples Mega Medicham and its wallbreaking capabilities.
Just some minor stuff, looks great! QC 1/3

[OVERVIEW]
  • It does get coverage to hit Slowbro and Doublade in Thunder Punch and Fire Punch, so instead of saying it lacks the coverage say how it suffers from 4 move slot syndrome and can't afford to run those moves because dual STAB, Fake Out and BP are much more important.
Usage Tips
  • Mention how it can't be used against Normal teams with Ditto because when Ditto copies Mega Medicham the game is pretty much over. If not here, you could mention it in checks and counters or something.
  • Specifically mention the types of teams that run rain and sand, such as Swift Swim Water teams and Ground teams with Hippowdon and Excadrill.
Checks and Counters
  • Give status its own section due to how much it cripples Mega Medicham and its wallbreaking capabilities.
Just some minor stuff, looks great! QC 1/3
Implemented all but the Doublade gets beat by Fire Punch thing. Fire Punch isn't viable at all on Fighting's Mega Medicham. I'm reluctant to remove Slowbro because of how infrequently even Thunder Punch is run, but I'll drop it anyway.

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Overview
  • Parts where it says checks Mega Venusaur and Mega Dianaice just say what moves
  • With Speed and Choice scarfers provide an example
  • Also mention the base 100 Speed Tier is crowded
  • Add Slowbro as 4 Slot move syndrome I think maybe add Slowbro because of how infrequently Thunder Punch is used
Moves
  • With High Jump kick add resit or immune
  • Also mention the negative effect of High Jump Kick if it misses
  • Provide examples of what Zen Hits Mega Venusaur, Zapdos should be fine
  • For Fake Out speed isn't really mentioned so I would clear that up (mainly for newer players)
Set Details
  • Use Manaphy as a base 100 Speed tie example as Mega Medicham OHKOs it even with Jolly
Usage Tips
  • Add a Sturdy example
  • Add Ghost types as well because of steel matchup under what not to use HJK on
  • I would add on a free switch for switching in walls
Team Options
  • I think for a "few" is just Jelicent in terms of common ghost types Keldeo doesn't beat
  • I would also add how Cobalion and Infenrape have Taunt which can prevent setup sweepers which scare Mega Medicham
  • (Not adding other options because I don't think they're necessary Hawlucha and Lucario it is up to you)
Other Options
  • Add the negative affects of not running Fake Out Bullet Punch or Psychic STAB
Checks and Counters
  • Mention how Slowbro fears rare Thunder Punch
  • Mention how Slowbro can status Mega Medicham
  • I would add Gengar as a check because it outspeeds Mega Medicham but doesn't switch in
  • For Fairy types I would add Choice Scarf Togekiss as it is a decent check as it OHKOs with Air Slash
  • For Gardevoir I would add Choice Scarf as well
  • Also Mention how Gardevoir and Azumarill don't take Fake Out plus another attack without reflect support either (Fake Out plus Zen Headbutt is a roll just so you know on Azumarill)
QC 2/3

Overview
  • Parts where it says checks Mega Venusaur and Mega Dianaice just say what moves
  • With Speed and Choice scarfers provide an example
  • Also mention the base 100 Speed Tier is crowded
  • Add Slowbro as 4 Slot move syndrome I think maybe add Slowbro because of how infrequently Thunder Punch is used
Moves
  • With High Jump kick add resit or immune
  • Also mention the negative effect of High Jump Kick if it misses
  • Provide examples of what Zen Hits Mega Venusaur, Zapdos should be fine
  • For Fake Out speed isn't really mentioned so I would clear that up (mainly for newer players)
Set Details
  • Use Manaphy as a base 100 Speed tie example as Mega Medicham OHKOs it even with Jolly
Usage Tips
  • Add a Sturdy example
  • Add Ghost types as well because of steel matchup under what not to use HJK on
  • I would add on a free switch for switching in walls
Team Options
  • I think for a "few" is just Jelicent in terms of common ghost types Keldeo doesn't beat
  • I would also add how Cobalion and Infenrape have Taunt which can prevent setup sweepers which scare Mega Medicham
  • (Not adding other options because I don't think they're necessary Hawlucha and Lucario it is up to you)
Other Options
  • Add the negative affects of not running Fake Out Bullet Punch or Psychic STAB
Checks and Counters
  • Mention how Slowbro fears rare Thunder Punch
  • Mention how Slowbro can status Mega Medicham
  • I would add Gengar as a check because it outspeeds Mega Medicham but doesn't switch in
  • For Fairy types I would add Choice Scarf Togekiss as it is a decent check as it OHKOs with Air Slash
  • For Gardevoir I would add Choice Scarf as well
  • Also Mention how Gardevoir and Azumarill don't take Fake Out plus another attack without reflect support either (Fake Out plus Zen Headbutt is a roll just so you know on Azumarill)
QC 2/3
Implemented all but a few.

Didn't bring up crowded Speed tier because Mega Medicham rarely runs Jolly anyway. I can add it if you want, though. HJK recoil is mentioned in Usage Tips, so I'm leaving it out of Moves. didn't bring up the Fake Out + 1 attack thing because it sort of falls under the "it needs Reflect" idea. It's also a bit too specific to the examples I think. I can find a way to bring it up in Moves or Usage Tips if necessary though.

Written and ready for 3rd.

Overview
- Looks good, but you should end the overview on a high note. Explained here. I think this is especially important here because the reader should gather that Mega Medicham is really good on Fighting because, well, it is, and ending it with a negative quality hinders that.

Set Details
- For clarification, you need to reword how you say that Mega Medicham survives Mega Pinsir's Quick Attack. With not much context, it seems unclear why surviving QA is important when Mega Pinsir can just use Frustration to guarantee the OHKO. Maybe reword this to something like "8 Defense EVs prevent Pinsir from Mega Evolving and OHKOing Mega Medicham with Quick Attack"

Team Options
- Add that Infernape also does well against Sableye, which also walls Mega Medicham

Checks and Counters
- Under the Fairy-types section, remove "without Reflect support". This information seems a bit out of place, because this section isn't referring to Monotype Fairy but Fairy-types in general, so Reflect doesn't seem as relevant.

Nice work, QC 3/3. I only had really small details to change here and there.

Reactions: 6ti

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

remove
add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]
**Fighting**:

Mega Medicham is one of the most powerful Fighting-type Pokemon thanks to Pure Power boosting its base 100 Attack to monstrous levels. This, combined with its great STAB options in High Jump Kick and Zen Headbutt, makes Mega Medicham one of the premier wallbreakers for Fighting teams, able to break through defensive cores such as Skarmory + Zapdos and other walls such as Clefable. Notably, Mega Medicham's use of Zen Headbutt makes it the most reliable check to Mega Venusaur, a huge threat to Fighting teams. Thanks to its access to priority in Fake Out and Bullet Punch, Mega Medicham can even act as a revenge killer; in particular, Bullet Punch allows Mega Medicham to reliable revenge kill Mega Diancie and Choice Scarf Gardevoir. Mega Medicham suffers from four-moveslot syndrome, though, as it cannot run optimal coverage to avoid being walled by common threats to Fighting teams, such as Slowbro, Doublade, and Sableye. Mega Medicham's subpar bulk also makes it difficult to take hits from even weak walls like Hippowdon. This is especially problematic because Mega Medicham's Speed leaves it easily revenge killed by Choice Scarf users such as Victini and revenge killers such as Mega Lopunny, all of which tend to have much higher Speed. Nevertheless, Mega Medicham's unparalleled power makes it stand out as the best Fighting-type Mega Evolution.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

With 130 Base Power, High Jump Kick is an absurdly powerful Fighting-type STAB attack that breaks almost anything that isn't immune to it or doesn't resist it. Zen Headbutt serves as the preferred Psychic-type STAB attack thanks to its great coverage with High Jump Kick, checking Poison-types such as Mega Venusaur while doing great damage to Flying- and Fairy-types, such as Zapods Zapdos and Clefable, for providing a guaranteed 2HKOs on both. (or eep as is and change doing great damage to -> hitting) While more accurate and avoiding contact, Psycho Cut lacks the power to reliably 2HKO Clefable, making it difficult to use. Bullet Punch gives Mega Medicham a priority move to hit faster targets, easing its matchup against offensive teams, and OHKOes Mega Diancie, which can sweep Fighting teams. Fake Out is used primarily to give Mega Medicham a free turn to safely Mega Evolve against faster foes while also breaking Sturdy from the likes of Forretress.

Set Details
========

8 Defense EVs allow Mega Medicham to always survive Pinsir's Quick Attack as it Mega Evolves, giving Mega Medicham a chance to deal huge damage with Zen Headbutt. 248 Attack EVs and an Adamant nature allow Mega Medicham to be as powerful as possible, notably always 2HKOing physically defensive Clefable with Zen Headbutt. Maximum Speed investment makes Mega Medicham as fast as possible. A Jolly nature can be used to give Mega Medicham even more Speed, allowing it to Speed tie with other positive-natured base 100s, such as Manaphy, and outspeed Mega Garchomp to OHKO them, but Mega Medicham will greatly miss the power that Adamant provides.

Usage Tips
========

To safely Mega Evolve for the greater bulk and Speed, Medicham should use Fake Out against faster foes. Against slower foes, since Fake Out is often actually detrimental if the opponent decides to switch out, Mega Medicham can simply choose to fire off a STAB attack. Fake Out should also be used to break Sturdy, Multiscale, and Focus Sashes, which prevent Mega Medicham from OHKOing certain targets such as Forretress, Dragonite, and Breloom. Fake Out is very useful for stalling turns of rain and sand against Water and Ground teams, (AC) respectively, as Fighting teams often have a lot of trouble against Swift Swim Kingdra and Sand Rush Excadrill. Against offensive teams, Mega Medicham should take advantage of the priority of Fake Out and Bullet Punch to serve as a makeshift revenge killer that can pick off weakened foes. As one of the strongest wallbreakers, Mega Medicham should be used as much as possible early-game to help break down the likes of Zapdos and Mega Venusaur to assist its team. To this end, it's relatively safe to fire off a High Jump Kick in most cases, as even Pokemon that resist it, such as Thundurus, will take a serious amount of damage, although one should be careful of using it against Pokemon that carry Protect such as Ferrothorn or Ghost-types such as Doublade due to the possibility of recoil. Mega Medicham can beat most defensive Pokemon such as Chansey and Ferrothorn, but it has a hard time safely switching directly into them due to their use of status moves, which can permanently cripple Mega Medicham it. In particular, burns and paralysis can make it almost impossible to wallbreak. Furthermore, Mega Medicham does need to be careful of Normal teams using Ditto, as Fighting teams can be swept by Ditto if it safely Imposters copies Mega Medicham. Due to its unimpressive Speed and poor bulk, Mega Medicham is very easy to revenge kill and should try to avoid staying in and taking unnecessary damage from most faster Pokemon, such as Landorus.

Team Options
========

One of Mega Medicham's best teammates is Choice Specs Keldeo, as they form a powerful wallbreaking core. Keldeo is also a great check to many Ghost-types, as all but Gourgeist-XL and Jellicent are easily KOed by Scald. Mega Medicham in return can take out Mega Venusaur and most Grass-types. Choice Scarf Heracross is an almost necessary partner, as it easily checks most Psychic-types that wall Mega Medicham such as Slowbro and Mew with its STAB Megahorn. In return, Mega Medicham breaks many of the Pokemon that wall Heracross, such as Skarmory and Gastrodon. Similarly, Choice Scarf Terrakion is also a great cleaner that appreciates Mega Medicham's ability to break down most of its checks, opening up a chance for Terrakion to sweep late-game. Stealth Rock support from Cobalion and Infernape is always welcome, as it helps Mega Medicham always OHKO Dragonite and 2HKO offensive Landorus-T, and both can also use Taunt to prevent entry hazards from chipping away at Mega Medicham. Blocking Sticky Web with Taunt is especially important, as Mega Medicham's Speed cannot afford to be have its Speed reduced further. Cobalion is nice for its unique Volt Switch support to bring Mega Medicham in safely and its use of Thunder Wave to slow down potential threats for Mega Medicham to take out. Cobalion also serves as a good check to Fairy-types with its STAB Iron Head. On the other hand, Infernape is a more offensive Stealth Rock setter that puts pressure on Doublade and Sableye, both of which utterly wall Mega Medicham. Breloom's use of Spore makes it a good support for Mega Medicham, able to put a checks to sleep, and it can use Bullet Seed to KO Slowbro and generally check Water-types very well, able to more reliably take on Azumarill.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
**Fighting**:
Mega Medicham needs most of its main moves but can attempt to run alternative coverage moves. Ice Punch can be used to surprise and KO Dragon-types such as Latios and Garchomp as they switch into it. On the other hand, Thunder Punch is another option for hitting Slowbro and OHKOing Azumarill after Stealth Rock damage but is generally poor coverage. However, Bullet Punch helps Mega Medicham's matchup against offense and Mega Diancie, while Zen Headbutt helps Mega Medicham break Mega Venusaur and many Fairy-types, making these two alternatives difficult to justify.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Fighting**:

**Sableye**: As Mega Medicham's greatest counter, Sableye is immune to almost all of its attacks and can cripple it with Will-O-Wisp. Sableye can always switch into Mega Medicham, neutering it completely.

**Faster Pokemon**: Mega Medicham is very easily revenge killed by almost any faster Pokemon, such as Sand Rush Excadrill and Landorus. Some, like Choice Scarf Kyurem-B, do need to be careful of Mega Medicham's Fake Out + Bullet Punch combination, though.

**Psychic-types**: As they resist both of Mega Medicham's STAB attacks, Psychic-types can easily check it. Slowbro is notable for paralyzing Mega Medicham and not being threatened by it at all outside of the rare Thunder Punch, while the likes of Latios and Victini can OHKO it.

**Ghost-types**: Many Ghost-types, such as Gengar, are great checks to Mega Medicham, as it cannot use High Jump Kick for fear of recoil damage. Doublade is particularly notable for its fantastic typing, which makes Mega Medicham deal almost no damage to it at all, while being able to use Mega Medicham as setup fodder.

**Fairy-types**: While Fairy-types such as Azumarill, Choice Scarf Togekiss, and Choice Scarf Gardevoir cannot safely switch into it, most can OHKO Mega Medicham with their STAB attacks

**Status**: All forms of status cripple Mega Medicham greatly; paralysis quarters its already unimpressive Speed, allowing many more Pokemon such as Hoopa-U to revenge kill it, and burns halve its damage, making it incapable of breaking some walls such as Mandibuzz. Toxic poison wears Mega Medicham down very quickly and makes Fake Out a much less desirable move to use.

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Eien

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[OVERVIEW]
**Fighting**:

Mega Medicham is one of the most powerful Fighting-type Pokemon thanks to Pure Power boosting its base 100 Attack to monstrous levels. This, combined with its great STAB options in High Jump Kick and Zen Headbutt, makes Mega Medicham one of the premier wallbreakers for Fighting teams, able to break through defensive cores such as Skarmory + Zapdos and other walls such as Clefable. Notably, Mega Medicham's use of Zen Headbutt makes it the most reliable check to Mega Venusaur, a huge threat to Fighting teams. Thanks to its access to priority in Fake Out and Bullet Punch, Mega Medicham can even act as a revenge killer; in particular, Bullet Punch allows Mega Medicham to reliable revenge kill Mega Diancie and Choice Scarf Gardevoir. Mega Medicham suffers from four-moveslot syndrome, though, as it cannot run optimal coverage to avoid being walled by common threats to Fighting teams, such as Slowbro, Doublade, and Sableye. Mega Medicham's subpar bulk also makes it difficult to take hits from even weak walls like Hippowdon. This is especially problematic because Mega Medicham's Speed leaves it easily revenge killed by Choice Scarf users such as Victini and revenge killers such as Mega Lopunny, all of which tend to have much higher Speed. Nevertheless, Mega Medicham's unparalleled power makes it stand out as the best Fighting-type Mega Evolution.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

With 130 Base Power, High Jump Kick is an absurdly powerful Fighting-type STAB attack that breaks almost anything that isn't immune to it or doesn't resist it. Zen Headbutt serves as the preferred Psychic-type STAB attack thanks to its great coverage with High Jump Kick, checking Poison-types such as Mega Venusaur while doing great damage to Flying- and Fairy-types, such as Zapdos and Clefable, providing a guaranteed 2HKO on both. While it is more accurate and avoiding avoids making contact, Psycho Cut lacks the power to reliably 2HKO Clefable, making it difficult to use consider. Bullet Punch gives Mega Medicham a priority move to hit faster targets, easing its matchup against offensive teams, and OHKOes Mega Diancie, which can sweep Fighting teams. Fake Out is used primarily to give Mega Medicham a free turn to safely Mega Evolve against faster foes while also breaking Sturdy from the likes of Forretress.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

To safely Mega Evolve for the greater bulk and Speed, Medicham should use Fake Out against faster foes. Against slower foes, since Fake Out is often actually detrimental if the opponent decides to switch out, Mega Medicham can simply choose to fire off a STAB attack. Fake Out should also be used to break Sturdy, Multiscale, and Focus Sash, which prevent Mega Medicham from OHKOing certain targets such as Forretress, Dragonite, and Breloom. Fake Out is very useful for stalling turns of rain and sand against Water and Ground teams, respectively, as Fighting teams often have a lot of trouble against Swift Swim Kingdra and Sand Rush Excadrill. Against offensive teams, Mega Medicham should take advantage of the priority of Fake Out and Bullet Punch to serve as a makeshift revenge killer that can pick off weakened foes. As one of the strongest wallbreakers, Mega Medicham should be used as much as possible early-game to help break down the likes of Zapdos and Mega Venusaur to assist its team. To this end, it's relatively safe to fire off a High Jump Kick in most cases, as even Pokemon that resist it, such as Thundurus, will take a serious amount of damage, although one should be careful of using it against Pokemon that carry Protect such as Ferrothorn or Ghost-types such as Doublade due to the possibility of recoil. Mega Medicham can beat most defensive Pokemon such as Chansey and Ferrothorn, but it has a hard time safely switching directly into them due to their use of status moves, which can permanently cripple it. In particular, burns and paralysis can make it almost impossible to wallbreak. Furthermore, Mega Medicham does need to be careful of Normal teams using Ditto, as Fighting teams can be swept by Ditto if it safely copies Mega Medicham. Due to its unimpressive Speed and poor bulk, Mega Medicham is very easy to revenge kill and should try to avoid staying in and taking unnecessary damage from most faster Pokemon, such as Landorus.

Team Options
========

One of Mega Medicham's best teammates is Choice Specs Keldeo, as they form a powerful wallbreaking core. Keldeo is also a great check to many Ghost-types, as all but Gourgeist-XL and Jellicent are easily KOed by Scald. Mega Medicham in return can take out Mega Venusaur and most Grass-types. Choice Scarf Heracross is an almost necessary partner, as it easily checks most Psychic-types that wall Mega Medicham such as Slowbro and Mew with its STAB Megahorn. In return, Mega Medicham breaks many of the Pokemon that wall Heracross, such as Skarmory and Gastrodon. Similarly, Choice Scarf Terrakion is also a great cleaner that appreciates Mega Medicham's ability to break down most of its checks, opening up a chance for Terrakion to sweep late-game. Stealth Rock support from Cobalion and Infernape is always welcome, as it helps Mega Medicham always OHKO Dragonite and 2HKO offensive Landorus-T, and both can also use Taunt to prevent entry hazards from chipping away at Mega Medicham. Blocking Sticky Web with Taunt is especially important, as Mega Medicham cannot afford to have its Speed be reduced further. Cobalion is nice for its unique Volt Switch support to bring Mega Medicham in safely and its use of Thunder Wave to slow down potential threats for Mega Medicham to take out. Cobalion also serves as a good check to Fairy-types with its STAB Iron Head. On the other hand, Infernape is a more offensive Stealth Rock setter that puts pressure on Doublade and Sableye, both of which utterly wall Mega Medicham. Breloom's use of Spore makes it a good support for Mega Medicham, able to put a checks to sleep, and it can use Bullet Seed to KO Slowbro and generally check Water-types very well, able to more reliably take on Azumarill.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
**Fighting**:
Mega Medicham needs most of its main moves but can attempt to run alternative coverage moves. Ice Punch can be used to surprise and KO Dragon-types such as Latios and Garchomp as they switch into it. On the other hand, Thunder Punch is another option for hitting Slowbro and OHKOing Azumarill after Stealth Rock damage but is generally offers poor coverage. However, Bullet Punch helps Mega Medicham's matchup against offense and Mega Diancie, while Zen Headbutt helps Mega Medicham break Mega Venusaur and many Fairy-types, making these two alternatives difficult to justify.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Fighting**:

2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)