Other Mono Gen 1 - Scyther Speed Master

Introduction

I'll be participating in a local competitive xy and oras tournament with a twist: Gen 1 Only and no megas (main reason why I'm posting my team here). I like offensive team mainly because the games don't lasts for hours so I thought about using a tailwind team turning around Scyther.

Scyther is the base of the team and the Tailwind setter. My original touch

I can't have a scyther without a spinner or a defog user. Following the offensive I path my choice falls on Starmie

Tailwind is here, therefore I can use an imposing offensive threat. I wonder between Nidoking and Nidoqueen but I prefer the bulk in order to have someone for Stealth Rocks.

I'm weak to rocks and physical pokemons. Slowbro is then my best bets for a defensive Tank to scare grounds and rocks pokemons.

I'm now weak to electric. Luckily, there's not that many threats in Gen1. Jolteon is my fast electric switch in problems and can deal with fast mons without the tailwind.

My team is so frail and too specially oriented and I now need to fix that. Machamp is bulky and a hard hitter.

The Team

Scyther @ Eviolite
Technician:
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly
- U-Turn
- Tailwind
- Aerial Ace
- Pursuit

So Scyther is my main guy and the base of the team. He's here for setting Tailwind and switch out using U-Turn. With the eviolite, he is bulky enough to switch on some threats such as Alakazam or Venusaur and scare them away to bulkier mons, giving a free turn for setting up a tailwind. U-Turn helps me keeping the momentum and aerial ace is to cover the grass, bug and fighting. Pursuit assure me to get the pokemon that would have wanted to stay for too long agains't me.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Analytic:
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid
- Hydro Pump
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

If I have a Scyther, I need a spinner. Starmie is a powerful special attacker and one of the fastest pokemon of the first gen. Switching at the good time allows me to scare the opponent, giving me a turn for rapid spin if any hazards are on my side of the field. The only spin blocker of gen 1 is Gengar and no Gengar would switch on a Starmie. Hydro Pump is the main stab and can hit hard even if the sun is up. Psychic helps me deal with the poison and poison/grass that could dare face me and Thunderbolt is here to deal with flying types and water types. I'm thinking about maybe getting Natural Cure instead of Analytic in order to have a status ailment switch in and Ice Beam my help more for some bulky threats like Zapdos.

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Sheer Force:
EVs: 180 HP / 252 SpA / 76 Spe
Modest
- Stealth Rock
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam

The main reason why I run Tailwind is to be able to use an offensive threat like Nidoqueen. No one in the first gen can live more than 2 hits from this sheer force, life orb power house of a queen. Stealth Rock is also here in order to keep the pressure and to get rid of the focus sash or the multiscale of the opponent. I'm giving her a bit more bulk in order to survive longer and with just enough speed to outspeed the opponent in the tailwind. Sludge wave is a powerfull stab and can get rid of the fairies and grass mons. Earth power is the other stab, hitting electric and fire. Ice beam deals with the flying and ground, I'm scared of Zapdos because he can do everything but can't deal with the Nidoqueen.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Regenerator:
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

I needed a tank. Between Rhydon, Venusaur and Zapdos, Slowbro was the one with the best recovery. With Regenerator and Slack Off, I can switch into dangerous moves and survive and do double switch into more appropriate pokemon. With a full defensive set, I can support the team with Thunder Wave in order to slow down the opponent or Scald to burn the physical attackers. Psyshock deals with grass/poison switch in and Slack Off is like I said for surviving and maybe stall out.

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Volt Absorb:
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Grass

The team is now weak to Electric. Keeping someone with Volt Absorb helps me with the mind game and keep the opponent to go for Electric moves without thinking. Jolteon is the fastest pokemon of Generation 1 after Electrode and I do not have to be scared of anyone not choice scarfed. Jolteon gives me momentum and a way to deal with water threats and has the speed without the tailwind. So Volt Switch for momentum, Thunderbolt for power, Shadow Ball for the ghosts and psychic, because Signal Beam won't really help agains't the grass and psychic or dark because there is no dark in gen 1. Finally HPGrass to deal with the rock and ground type that are Golem, Rhydon, Aerodactyl, etc.

Machamp @ Assault Vest
No Guards:
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant
- Dynamic Punch
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Bullet Punch

And Machamp is my bruiser. The team is quite frail and too specially oriented. Machamp is a physical monster and does have a bit of bulk with some HP investment as well as an assault vest. I can now deal with normal pokemon and special wall like Chansey. There's still a bit of water threats with scald but not that many will o wisp users so No Guards is a safe bet. With Dynamic Punch as a main stab and Stone Edge for flying, bug and fire. Knock Off is a safe choice for switch in and finally Bullet Punch for priority, making Machamp another revenge killer my team might need.

Conclusion

I want to repeat here that this team is made for an ORAS, XY MonoGen 1 tournament and that the only Pokémons participating are from the Gen 1, therefore most of my decisions were made thinking of a limited selection of threats. The team mine is most scared of are the Sun Team with chlorophyll users.
I'm thinking here of mons like:

I might need a fire move, maybe on Nidoqueen or Slowbro, but a strong grass move could hurt my team a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)