MLB 2016

Is it just me, or is the playerpool for the offseason worse than the horrible one last year? I know that next year in 2018 is when a whole buncha names are hitting the open market, but you literally just have the two old Blue Jays sluggers and some big name relievers.

Guess the trade market will be hot. Hopefully...

Will see what happens to some of the roster first. Some key pieces probably leaving Wrigley, plus although the core is young..can't predict the future and if they keep killing it, the big contracts will come..and goodbye roster. But whatever man, living in present. Regular season baseball means jack shit in postseason.

Parade was lit tho. Our sign made it on tv so all is good in the world. Everyone was exhausted by the end of it, so when the players finally got to the end for the rally. Bodies were drained.

as expected ee and bautista both rejected qualifying offers. Jays are going to be a mess this year
The Jays were going to be a mess when they sold their entire farm system for fringe stars like Tulo and Dickey. It's why I applauded the move when they went for it, because I knew it would open the door for my Red Sox to be the dominant team in the division. The Blue Jays can't outspend the Yankees and Red Sox, and blew their young talent like Syndergaard on support pieces. Them and the Orioles are going downward while the Sawx are moving on up faster than the Jeffersons.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
>fringe star
>tulo

we'll be just fine when alford/tellez/guererro/the other two good pitchers idr make the jump in 2/3 years

mind you we'll be just fine this year too, we still have donaldson heading a very competent lineup, excellent infield defense+super pillar, and a strong rotation

>fringe star
>tulo
Dude, I saw the debate between you and Stallion, and the love you have for your Toronto boys is cute. But the facts are that Troy Tulowitzki is an oft injured, older and lesser preforming version of the star SS cast already in baseball at his position such as Xander, Lindor, Russell, Correa, Story, and Seager. Those guys already have production greater than what Tulo can give, and pretty much anyone here would agree with me. Tulo is still a good shortstop but he isn't matching up to that group. And I can hardly call someone a star player when I can bury him under 6 other players at his position.

Last edited:

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't disagree with you if you're evaluating based on this moment in time, but calling Tulo a fringe star based on his career or the time when we acquired him is doing the man a disservice

I'm extremely thankful for everyone voting me NL Cy Young ;)

Bryant deserved his MVP, but you could argue Murphy. I thought Trout was getting it from the beginning tbh, although I'm too lazy to dig up some stats that proves he's better than altuve/betts

Kluber was snubbed, I don't even know why people are upset verlander didn't win he didn't deserve it imo. Kluber was good for most of the postseason, and Porcello got his team 22 wins and only lost 4 times.

Oh yeah and Zach Britton, he should've at least been a finalist. One of the finest seasons of all time from a reliever. A shame he wasn't used in the wc game ;)

Too lazy to dig up some stats.

Seager wins ROY, no doubt. Fulmer was really a no brained as he pitched the majority of the whole season. Gary Sanchez was good for like two months.

Kluber was snubbed, I don't even know why people are upset verlander didn't win he didn't deserve it imo. Kluber was good for most of the postseason, and Porcello got his team 22 wins and only lost 4 times.
Kluber's postseason stats don't affect the regular season award of Cy Young. The Cy Young is the award for the best pitcher in the regular season. I'm pretty sure they vote on the Cy Young award before the post season even begins.

I'm pretty surprised that Trout won the AL MVP over Mookie Betts. Not that Trout had a bad year..(slugged 16 points higher, 9.9 oWAR vs Mookie's 6.2), but you know that some value team success when determining MVP. Trout's numbers are pretty ridiculous considering he could be pitched around so easily. 116 walks.. geez.

Bryant was pretty obvious, 5 tool player who could play multiple positions and was on the best team in baseball.

I find it hilarious how the Yankees are looking into Chapman and Beltran again. Got good young prospects last year for them and might come back a few months later.

Yanks will rinse and repeat dishing out a shitload of money for stars past their prime who end up having a renaissance, then dealing those players at the deadline, all while stashing elite prospects and slowly becoming the Cubs of the AL

Yanks will rinse and repeat dishing out a shitload of money for stars past their prime who end up having a renaissance, then dealing those players at the deadline, all while stashing elite prospects and slowly becoming the Cubs of the AL
They won't. This year is going to go the same as last offseason. They will take a lot of low risk, high reward pieces on short term deals in the hopes of contending this year, and if not selling the pieces for prospects. In a sense they're buying prospects. The Yankees will dish out their shitload of money NEXT offseason, because of the MASSIVE names that are going to become free agents. It makes no sense for then to go after this years top free agents unless they see a bargain in there.

They won't. This year is going to go the same as last offseason. They will take a lot of low risk, high reward pieces on short term deals in the hopes of contending this year, and if not selling the pieces for prospects. In a sense they're buying prospects. The Yankees will dish out their shitload of money NEXT offseason, because of the MASSIVE names that are going to become free agents. It makes no sense for then to go after this years top free agents unless they see a bargain in there.
There's rumors that the Yankees are after Encarnacion/Cespedes. I don't think the Yankees should be interested in these power hitters, there's a ton of upcoming young players who need to break into the majors(Judge, Greg Bird, Clint Frazier). The problem the Yankees have faced for a while is their pitching. The only reliable starting pitcher we currently have is Tanaka. CC is an aging pitcher in his last year of his contract, Pineda looked extremely shaky, Eovaldi is out the entire season, and Luis Severino struggled as a starter.

Knowing the Yankees, we'll probably end up buying an aging player past his prime in hopes of competing this year. I'm hoping the front office realizes 2018 is a better option to buy big, since CC and A-rod's contracts are ending.

Apparently Yoenis Cespedes resigned with the Mets for four years and a $110,000,000, plain and simple, no opt-outs and crap like that. Not too happy as a Phillies fan, and I'm not sure from their perspective if it was a smart move, they lack an adequate center fielder (I'm not counting the light hitting Juan Lagares in that.) Conforto, Bruce, Granderson, and Cespedes are limited to the corners and only two of them can start on any given day.

suapah

stfu anime pfp
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Apparently Yoenis Cespedes resigned with the Mets for four years and a $110,000,000, plain and simple, no opt-outs and crap like that. Not too happy as a Phillies fan, and I'm not sure from their perspective if it was a smart move, they lack an adequate center fielder (I'm not counting the light hitting Juan Lagares in that.) Conforto, Bruce, Granderson, and Cespedes are limited to the corners and only two of them can start on any given day.
But isn't Cespedes a capable center fielder? He's won a gold glove before and I don't follow the Mets too much (go Jays ;P ) but I'm sure he's split time between CF/LF

But isn't Cespedes a capable center fielder? He's won a gold glove before and I don't follow the Mets too much (go Jays ;P ) but I'm sure he's split time between CF/LF
Yes, he has played CF, but from what people have said it was kind of a joke. He won his Gold Glove for his defense in left field, I believe.

First shocker of the Winter Meetings, Chris Sale getting traded to the Red Sox.
It blows in the fact that we gave up Moncada to make a deal that we didn't need to make. We were just fine rotation wise without Chris Sale and it forces Pomeranz (who we gave up a ton for too) out of the rotation. You have to imagine that with a full year of Pomeranz, plus Price being more Price would equal more than the drop I expect from Porcello.

The major hole in our team right now is that we lost David Ortiz and have a major hole in our lineup. Moncada was set this year to fill this hole in part with his offensive contribution at 3B. Now we are relying on the production of Pablo fucking Sandoval at 3B for the near future until another Super Top Prospect Rafael Devers is ready (or Michael Chavis). That scares me more than the happiness of adding Sale. I think we could have done it differently with preserving Moncada. But I dunno.

It saddens me that all the work spent on the future that made me so happy as a Red Sox fan under Cherington because I saw the dynasty coming is being spent away by Dombrowsi. I want to win, but I dont want to go through another rebuild like we've been in for the last 3 seasons. Our future is super bright with Betts, Xander, JBJ, Benitendi and even like Swihart. I just wanted Moncada apart of that.

Especially when you already traded your 3B option in Travis Shaw away to open the door for Moncada...

Last edited:
It blows in the fact that we gave up Moncada to make a deal that we didn't need to make. We were just fine rotation wise without Chris Sale and it forces Pomeranz (who we gave up a ton for too) out of the rotation. You have to imagine that with a full year of Pomeranz, plus Price being more Price would equal more than the drop I expect from Porcello.

The major hole in our team right now is that we lost David Ortiz and have a major hole in our lineup. Moncada was set this year to fill this hole in part with his offensive contribution at 3B. Now we are relying on the production of Pablo fucking Sandoval at 3B for the near future until another Super Top Prospect Rafael Devers is ready (or Michael Chavis). That scares me more than the happiness of adding Sale. I think we could have done it differently with preserving Moncada. But I dunno.

It saddens me that all the work spent on the future that made me so happy as a Red Sox fan under Cherington because I saw the dynasty coming is being spent away by Dombrowsi. I want to win, but I dont want to go through another rebuild like we've been in for the last 3 seasons. Our future is super bright with Betts, Xander, JBJ, Benitendi and even like Swihart. I just wanted Moncada apart of that.

Especially when you already traded your 3B option in Travis Shaw away to open the door for Moncada...
I think as much as Boston had to give up, they got one hell of a deal, considering the Nationals offered three top 40 prospects (Giolito, Robles, Lopez.) But yeah, I don't think this deal turned out great for either side. Chicago picked the wrong offer, and Boston didn't need Sale.

Also, just in, the Rockies have agreed to a five year, $70 million deal with Ian Desmond. The Rockies just wasted $70 million on a guy who is a luxury for them, yet their bullpen and rotation are ailing.

Adam Eaton to the Nationals for 3 good pitching prospects including Lucas Giolito and Reynaldo Lopez. Pretty weird giving up top young arms considering Adam Eaton is an above average player at best. He has 5 years of control though.

The White Sox went from a mediocre farm system to one of the best in 2 days. The next few years are gonna be rough, but my god they're going to be set for the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)