Minior Discussion

Without any calcs or time to research to bacj up my opinion, I would. Here is my reasoning: Acrobatics has 165 power with STAB while the best you'll get on a special move is Power Gem at 120. At +2, both of your offensive stats, regardless of 252 vs 156 EVs, hit around 600-700. If you keep the majority of your investment in attack, Minior is able to OHKO bulkier stuff much easier because of how strong Acrobatics is. If you invest fully in SpA, you won't be getting many more OHKOs or 2HKOs and your Acrobatics will only 2HKO what it used to OHKO at the benefit of manipulating your coverage. A Rash set with 252 SpA EVs and 156 Atk EVs is better at coverage but you will not OHKO as hard, so it's better in weird stuff like Sun since in that case you will easily get rid of stuff ground or flying get rid of anyway (steel, bug, grass, rock, poison, etc).

Of course, because of your post I will spend a few hours during the day when I get gome from class looking at SpA-invested calcs and sharing those with you so we can see how Minior does either way, but remember that Acrobatics is by far its strongest single hit move so it gets the most possible OHKOs focusing on making it OHKO with special EVs for coverage that would resist flying.
Yeah... It's certainly an interesting situation because, without access to hurricane or aeroblast, minior really doesn't have a stab that can compete with Acrobatics in power, and it sucks that there isn't a stronger special rock attack than power gem, but I was just thinking hypothetically that there really isn't ANY special rock threat and that may allow it to uniquely break through some physical walls that don't resist rock, but I was only thinking generally, I don't have any exact matchups or calculations in mind

Soooo Minior is one of two new Pokemon that can't call for ally mons in battle, the other being Wimpod. It's genderless, which hinders breeding efficiency. And it has the second-lowest non-Legendary catch rate of all the new Pokemon at 30, with Dhelmise being the lowest at 25.

Guess they compensated for this thing's battle viability by making it stupidly difficult to actually obtain a viable Minior.
You can boost IVs with bottlecaps now so all you need to do is find one with a good nature which won't take long.

That's a fair point that I agree hasn't been brought up. But it's like any set-up sweeper, you would bring in in against things that wouldn't be able to OHKO it.

One thing I foresee happening, if activate Shields Down becomes too unreliable, is possibly running a berry that rescues SE damage as a kind of bait? You would need priority users down due to dropped defenses, but realistically, you would need them down anyways n
And we still have 156 EVs to spare. I still think preferably to HP so we can more often get into Shields Down because then we're generally bulkier and simultaneously outspeed the threats we're scared of enough to put spare EVs into. Maybe SpA if you run Minior in a sun team and give it Solar Beam or HP Fire.

As well, if the 88 HP EVs let us get into Shields Down against multiple threats we don't normally cover, it would be better than putting the speed into outdoing Mega Manectric since the other situations will come up more often.
I've brought it up before as an alternative to SpA EVs. 100 speed is too good to pass up and 252 attack gets Acrobatics a lot of OHKOs after Shell Smash, but we still have 156 EVs to distribute between HP and SpA. This is the sort of thing we can only determine when the metagame settles down, though, since only then can we know which threats we need to let Minior survive with 2% against instead of being OHKOed. The beautiful thing is that we only need to barely survive, anyway. There's no need to survive by a wide margin since we want Minior low to work out properly.

Yeah... It's certainly an interesting situation because, without access to hurricane or aeroblast, minior really doesn't have a stab that can compete with Acrobatics in power, and it sucks that there isn't a stronger special rock attack than power gem, but I was just thinking hypothetically that there really isn't ANY special rock threat and that may allow it to uniquely break through some physical walls that don't resist rock, but I was only thinking generally, I don't have any exact matchups or calculations in mind
I'll do some calculations over the weekend, most likely. Though the game will be out so I imagine some of the people in the thread will try some of the ideas we came up with on Showdown. Actually, since the games are about to come up, whoever reads this should, if they plan on using Minior on Showdown, try out the ideas we came up with as a core to a team: Mega Venusaur, Volcanion, Excadrill, Decidueye, a sun team for those who are open to that with either Solar Beam or HP Fire, etc.

In my case I'll at least try out Volcanion/Excadrill. They cover Minior's needs pretty well against anything except switching in on EQ. In that case you should choose other Pokemon in your team that are immune to or resist ground. The great thing is that if you get rid of priority users and have rocks up there's really nothing that can outspeed and survive Minior, and since it has a good movepool it's hard to predict what to run against Minior, because it could have psychic or dazzling gleam instead of EQ or something.

You can boost IVs with bottlecaps now so all you need to do is find one with a good nature which won't take long.
Well, it's still:
1. Keep in mind Minior is the 2nd hardest non-Legendary mon to catch this Gen
2. Catch one with a good nature
3. Level it to level 100
4. Use Bottlecaps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)