Metagame Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cavalry

Metagame Premise: Your pokemon ride each other like knights on horses and do battle that way.

Explanation: Doubles Based

Half your team are mounts and the other half are riders. You always need one rider and one mount on the field. If you switch a mount out, you have to switch the rider out too (and vice versa). If a mount faints, the rider faints too (and vice versa).

The rider is treated as having the same speed as their mount.

All attacks are treated as spread moves.

Wide Guard is banned (as all attacks are spread moves and it locks spread moves).

Threats:

Slow attackers don’t have to worry about speed with the right mount. Similarly, mon who are fast, but have poor offenses, can donate their speed and allow their rider to take care of damage. Bilk also has an advantage here, as frail pokemon who faint to easily also take their partner with them.

Questions:

Is this codable?

Are there more changes that should be made to give the right feel and amount of fun?

Is there anything else worthy of quickbanning?

How should mounts vs. Riders be decided?
This sounds really fun! A small change I'd make is to have the rider's speed be either one point faster or slower than the mount (not sure which would be better). That avoids having to deal with speed ties every turn. As for how mounts and riders are decided, I see two possibilities. If you want it to be decided during teambuilding, have the Pokemon in slot 1 ride the Pokemon in slot 2, slot 3 rides slot 4, and 5 rides 6. If you want the player to choose their rider/mount pairings at the start of a battle, use the same odd-rides-even system, but team order is decided like when using Zoroark.

This sounds really fun! A small change I'd make is to have the rider's speed be either one point faster or slower than the mount (not sure which would be better). That avoids having to deal with speed ties every turn. As for how mounts and riders are decided, I see two possibilities. If you want it to be decided during teambuilding, have the Pokemon in slot 1 ride the Pokemon in slot 2, slot 3 rides slot 4, and 5 rides 6. If you want the player to choose their rider/mount pairings at the start of a battle, use the same odd-rides-even system, but team order is decided like when using Zoroark.
Thanks!

I was intending for you to be able to switch partner, but that's not a big loss and adds more team-building planning. Plus some mon go well together, like Alowak and Gyarados.

Speaking of which, I was wondering if mount should also give the rider their status of airborne/grounded.

And the possibility of having abilities that normally only activate for one opponent to activate for both

I do see your point about avoiding speed ties, so making it a difference of one sounds fine to me.

Here's a type-based OM idea. Perhaps you could call it a non-type based meta.
It is:
???MONS

Name explanation: When a pokémon is typeless, it's shown as ???-type. For example, when a pure fire-type uses Burn Up, they have no types, and are considered typeless.

Premise: All pokémon have their types replaced with the ??? type. Basicaly, this means that pokemon have no resistances and no weaknesses.
(its ou based btw)

Potential metagame differences:
Pokémon with good typing like ferrothorn's will be less useful, while pokemon such as avalugg will be improved. Because of the lack of typing, pokémon only need a single coverage move. The metagame could be more defensive because every pokemon could afford to carry an extra recovery or statboosting (e.g. curse+drum+recycle+earthquake snorlax) move without the cost of coverage.
Scarf, Band, and Specs users will also see an increase in usage, because scarf-locked pokemon will be able to hit everything neutrally. Moves that do not get STAB will also see more usage due to STAB being pretty much removed.

if you can't read this randomly placed sentence, tell me.

Potential Bans:

PORYGON-Z: Porygon-Z has access to Conversion and Conversion 2, a pair of moves that are typically little more than gimmicks. However, Conversion converts the user's type to that of their first move, allowing Porygon-Z to recieve STAB (there's also Z-Conversion to make it even stronger, by boosting atk/def/spA/spD/spe by one level.) Conversion 2, on the other hand, is a defensive ability, allowing you to abuse the fact that the opponent probably has only one coverage move/ is scarflocked.

PROTEAN(especially on greninja): Protean, is well known for changing the user's type to the move they are about to use. Does your opponent have boomburst? Change to ghost. Earthquake? Change to flying, and so on. It also gives greninja access to STAB.

SHEDINJA: Wonderguard makes it practically invincible due to having no weaknesses, and it can carry a lumberry too.

QUESTIONS:
Is there any part of this that's unclear?
Are there any major flaws with this idea?
Did you even bother to read this?

First, how the heck would one change type?
Second, why Uber based?
Third, that name is already taken.
1. There would be an option to change type, like a type wheel or something
2. Because i think it would be more fun with stronger Pokemon (but I could change it to OU)
3. If that name's taken, then I'll call it something like Inner Change

1. There would be an option to change type, like a type wheel or something
2. Because i think it would be more fun with stronger Pokemon (but I could change it to OU)
3. If that name's taken, then I'll call it something like Inner Change
You do realize that you need at least 20 posts, to submit a metagame, right?
I second Yahooboo in that it's impossible to make a type wheel. However, it would be possible to make it name-based (e.g. a pokemon named 'fire' would get the fire type) or iv-based (e.g. something with HP fire IVs would get fire type.)

This is one of the cooler sounding OM's in this thread I think. Curious as to how things like Eeveelutions would work, would they be able to learn any normal type moves as well? Or only the type that the eeveelution actually is? Likewise, cold Maro-A learn any ground type moves since it evolves from standard Cubone?

If it's the former, Quiver Dance + Boomburst Sylveon would be something to try out.

Also here's some shit

Kyurem-Black @ White Herb/Focus Sash
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Shell Smash
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Charge Beam/Flamethrower/Ice Shard/Rapid Spin

Alomomola @ Leftovers/Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Def / 216 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Scald
- U-Turn

Trying to use Komala in OU, it showed me how cool Wish + slow u-turn was, unfortunately Komala's defensive presence is a bit low and it's wish passes aren't high. Enter Alomomola, but for it to get U-Turn we need

Greninja @ Expert Belt/Darkinium Z
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Parting Shot

Parting shot is great for keeping the team healthy and allowing Alomomola to have as many opportunities to set up wishpassing as possible, but then, for Greninja to get that we need

Persian-Alola @ Leftovers/Darkinium Z
Ability: Fur Coat
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Parting Shot
- Foul Play
- Toxic/Toxic Spikes
- Taunt

Standard persian set but it's what it does best, now with Toxic Spikes

Weavile @ Life Orb/Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Parting Shot
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake/Knock Off
- Gunk Shot

Weavile is a debatable choice on this team, but speedy parting shot users are undoubtedly useful, hence the potential choice scarf. Gunk Shot is for fairies and Earthquake nukes steels if you choose Mamoswine on your team. At this point, the team has a noticeable weakness to fighting, electric and grass, which is where our next mon comes in

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 156 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Synthesis
- Hidden Power Fire/Spore

Venusaur covers all of the teams major weaknesses and increases longevity due to absorbing toxic spikes, with the added benefit of Special Bulk that covers Alomomola's primary weakness and only two true weaknesses in Psychic, rendered moot by the teams plethora of dark types, and flying, which can be dealt with fairly easily by Weavile.

---

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Stealth Rock

Mamoswine adds little to the team itself, but allows Weavile to have access to earthquake without piling on another dark type, and Stealth Rocks.

(or)

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power Fire/Foul Play
- Clear Smog

Amoonguss gives a little more to the team, adding to the resistances that Venusaur provides, as well as giving Venu access to spore, and giving the team a second regenerator pivot to follow up parting shot.

It's all theorymon but I really like the idea of building a team based off of big wish passes and parting shot. A mono normal team built like this with Silvally, Blissey/Chansey, Gon2/GonZ, MLop, Swellow and Audino or maybe a ghost type could potentially be neat.

Actually, another question would be if any type can theoretically inherit parting shot from Silvally because that would rule
Alright, I should probably add a ban to Silvally.
And no, Pre-evolutions don't count. So you cant run any moves Cubone gets to a Fire or Ghost type, unless it gets them itself, or if another Pokemon on the team that it shares a type with gets that move.

Metagame premise: Accuratemons: Every move has 100% accuracy.
Potential bans and threats: OHKO moves because will always result in the opposing Pokemon being knocked out, Sleep moves because gives users too much power, Zap Cannon, Dynamic Punch, and Inferno, because will be very powerful moves that always result in paralysis, confusion, and a burn, respectively.
Questions for the community: Does this sound like a fun metagame?
This sounds a lot like No Guard Galaxy from gen 6. I don't remember too much about it, but the OP says only DynamicPunch was banned. IIRC some more bans were implemented in that thread somewhere.

Metagame premise: 5-Move 'Mons: Players can add any learnable fifth move to their Pokemon.
Potential bans and threats: None that I can think of
No.

(Its not mentioned on the commonly rejected list, but I doubt your metagame would be accepted)

Metagame premise: 5-Move 'Mons: Players can add any learnable fifth move to their Pokemon.
Potential bans and threats: None that I can think of
Sorry, but no it doesn't. Too much supereffective coverage. The six-move metagame that Sereg mentioned was very offense-based, because you could give your pokemon a moveset allowing them to hit everything supereffectively. This would have the same problems.
(Your idea is already playable in custom battle, by the way, so you can probably find someone to test it out with you on the Showdown! server.)

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sorry, but no it doesn't. Too much supereffective coverage. The six-move metagame that Sereg mentioned was very offense-based, because you could give your pokemon a moveset allowing them to hit everything supereffectively. This would have the same problems.
(Your idea is already playable in custom battle, by the way, so you can probably find someone to test it out with you on the Showdown! server.)
are you sure about that? that extra moveslot benefits defensive sets and stall a lot as well. mega audino finally becomes viable because it's able to run cm/wish/protect/2 attacks, and chansey can use seismic toss/softboiled/toxic/stealth rock/aromatherapy or something. there's likely other hidden gems like rest/talk/cm/dark pulse/will o wisp spiritomb as well. not bad imo

Here's a type-based OM idea. Perhaps you could call it a non-type based meta.
It is:
???MONS

Name explanation: When a pokémon is typeless, it's shown as ???-type. For example, when a pure fire-type uses Burn Up, they have no types, and are considered typeless.

Premise: All pokémon have their types replaced with the ??? type. Basicaly, this means that pokemon have no resistances and no weaknesses.
(its ou based btw)

Potential metagame differences:
Pokémon with good typing like ferrothorn's will be less useful, while pokemon such as avalugg will be improved. Because of the lack of typing, pokémon only need a single coverage move. The metagame could be more defensive because every pokemon could afford to carry an extra recovery or statboosting (e.g. curse+drum+recycle+earthquake snorlax) move without the cost of coverage.
Scarf, Band, and Specs users will also see an increase in usage, because scarf-locked pokemon will be able to hit everything neutrally. Moves that do not get STAB will also see more usage due to STAB being pretty much removed.

if you can't read this randomly placed sentence, tell me.

Potential Bans:

PORYGON-Z: Porygon-Z has access to Conversion and Conversion 2, a pair of moves that are typically little more than gimmicks. However, Conversion converts the user's type to that of their first move, allowing Porygon-Z to recieve STAB (there's also Z-Conversion to make it even stronger, by boosting atk/def/spA/spD/spe by one level.) Conversion 2, on the other hand, is a defensive ability, allowing you to abuse the fact that the opponent probably has only one coverage move/ is scarflocked.

PROTEAN(especially on greninja): Protean, is well known for changing the user's type to the move they are about to use. Does your opponent have boomburst? Change to ghost. Earthquake? Change to flying, and so on. It also gives greninja access to STAB.

SHEDINJA: Wonderguard makes it practically invincible due to having no weaknesses, and it can carry a lumberry too.

QUESTIONS:
Is there any part of this that's unclear?
Are there any major flaws with this idea?
Did you even bother to read this?
Honestly this removes a lot of the strategy of the game. You dont need to care about a switch-in, you just click the attack button. Pokémon won't fit a niche of, for example, having better coverage instead of a higher attack. You just choose the one that hits harder instead of having more options. You also dont need to really predict a move, you just switch to a bulky mon without worrying about surprise coverage. You will either get a neutral hit or come for free on a non-damaging move. After all, the opponent only needs one or two attacks (A strong move and maybe a priority move). I feel the only thing that would matter on a pokémon are the stats and ability. Any physical attacker gets a nice spammable move in Return, and can also run Facade for burns, and still have 2 moveslots for whatever status move you want.
Sorry if i am being harsh, but for me it just looks like a metagame where you have almost no risk for attacking and little variety, as only the bigger stats will matter.

are you sure about that? that extra moveslot benefits defensive sets and stall a lot as well. mega audino finally becomes viable because it's able to run cm/wish/protect/2 attacks, and chansey can use seismic toss/softboiled/toxic/stealth rock/aromatherapy or something. there's likely other hidden gems like rest/talk/cm/dark pulse/will o wisp spiritomb as well. not bad imo
It sounds more like a custom game mode. :D

Last edited:
Honestly this removes a lot of the strategy of the game. You dont need to care about a switch-in, you just click the attack button. Pokémon won't fit a niche of, for example, having better coverage instead of a higher attack. You just choose the one that hits harder instead of having more options. You also dont need to really predict a move, you just switch to a bulky mon without worrying about surprise coverage. You will either get a neutral hit or come for free on a non-damaging move. After all, the opponent only needs one or two attacks (A strong move and maybe a priority move). I feel the only thing that would matter on a pokémon are the stats and ability. Any physical attacker gets a nice spammable move in Return, and can also run Facade for burns, and still have 2 moveslots for whatever status move you want.
Sorry if i am being harsh, but for me it just looks like a metagame where you have almost no risk for attacking and little variety, as only the bigger stats will matter.
What about the pokemon in the current OU metagame who have perfect(neutral or better) two-move coverage? They make good use of their other slots. Tapu Koko could just have two moves (boltBeam) and already deal a fair amount of damage, but he carries a pivot move and a move against pokemon with large weight.

There's also setup sweepers and special attackers. Serperior continues to be impressively lacking in stats, but he's not prevented from using leaf storm and reaching very high levels of damage.
Sure you could just switch out a lot, but only if your opponent doesn't have hazards set or a stakeout/pursuit user.

What about the pokemon in the current OU metagame who have perfect(neutral or better) two-move coverage? They make good use of their other slots. Tapu Koko could just have two moves (boltBeam) and already deal a fair amount of damage, but he carries a pivot move and a move against pokemon with large weight.

There's also setup sweepers and special attackers. Serperior continues to be impressively lacking in stats, but he's not prevented from using leaf storm and reaching very high levels of damage.
Sure you could just switch out a lot, but only if your opponent doesn't have hazards set or a stakeout/pursuit user.
Yes BoltBeam is almost perfect coverage, but it still requires some prediction. The opponent can still switch into a resist or a immunity if they predict right (for example, a scarf landorus can switch into a thunderbolt, then outspeed and KO Koko if it is the scarf variant. But lando would be killed if predicted wrong. In this mod, you need something bulky instead).

pazza

Banned deucer.
Evolution Battle idk

Metagame Premise: You bring an LC team with level 100,but whenever a mon on your team is KO'd, the mon you send out next evolves. So if the opponent scores a KO, you can send out your Larvesta next and have it turn into Volcarona. But if that Volcarona gets a KO, your opponent's Frogadier will evolve into Greninja, which can drop it with a scarfed Rock Slide. There would be a lot more tit-for-tat, and games would more often take the form of starting with early-stage mons and ending with fully evolved mons.can mega if they reach there final stage.
Banlist: HugePower,LC banlist

Last edited:
Metagame premise: Genealogy: Only Pokemon in an evolutionary line can be used. All Pokemon in the evolutionary line must be used. The evolutionary line must be linear, i.e., it must only include one possible evolution. Mega Evolutions are part of the final evolution. An example team: Eevee, Vaporeon, Growlithe, Arcanine, Numel, Camerupt-Mega.
Potential bans and threats: Ubers, Happiny, Chansey, Blissey, OU Clauses.

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Metagame premise: Genealogy: Only Pokemon in an evolutionary line can be used. All Pokemon in the evolutionary line must be used. An example team: Happiny, Chansey, Blissey, Porygon, Porygon2, and Porygon-Z.
Potential bans and threats: None.
hi for the "potential bans and threats" could you please actually put in some potential bans and threats? this is because people don't want to look at a meta and have to think of all the good stuff themselves. it also draws attention to the meta if, say, krabby and kingler are really good or something crazy.

for this meta the examples you listed (happiny and porygon) seem to be reasonable threats, although i can't help wondering if having to use all three (as opposed to another, two stage family) would slow it down.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)