SM OU Mega Mawile Fairy Trick Room (1600+)

Introduction

Hey! So just to give context, I'm not much above a beginner, only started playing competitive pokemon recently and after getting decent success with a few aggressive teams (MMawile+Tapu Fini and TapuLele+MAlakazam) I got pretty bored of the playstyle so I decided to try to build a Trick Room team, an archetype in which I was interested but for which I had never seen users on ladder.

I couldn't find many updated trick room teams to use as examples so I built it a bit hazardly according to my understanding of the strategy. It seems that Trick Room is extremely rare atm (at least on low ladder, haven't seen a single one bar me) and as such, very few people ran any counters (taunt also seems to be rarer thanks to BP pass). Thanks to that, I managed to climb to ~1600 with only a few losses. My team is very approximative though, as I built it based on my very limited knowledge and as such I would be glad to ear your insight.

Teambuilding Process

M-Mawile was the core of the team, I really enjoy her playstyle and figured that thanks to her monstrous Attack stat she would greatly benefit from Trick Room.

After that, I figured it was obviously the time to choose my Trick Room setters, I went with Cresselia as I wanted a reliable Trick Room setter that would guarantee at least one big sweep.

As I already had a Physical Sweeper, I decided to find a Special one. As MMawile doesn't have access to Trick Room, I figured it would be a better idea to pick one with the move, as it is, the theme of the team. Maegarna with her great stats and ability was perfect.

A big weakness of the current trick room setters was that they would get completely crippled by high damage opponents as such I had two options, giving a focus sash to a trick room setter or use Mimikyu with his disguise ability. As I wanted to make a primarly offensive Trick Room team, I settled on Mimikyu.

What the team lacked right now was a trap setter, a physical pivot and an answer to the two biggest threats to the current team: Heatran and M-Charizard X. T-Landorus is in every team for a reason and as he answered all of those roles while also being immune to the team's second biggest weakness (ground) he was the perfect fit.

With two levitate user ground was pretty much dealt with. Fire, however, dealt neutral/supereffective damage to the whole team so I needed an answer, W-Rotom also helped with the biggest threat to the current team (M-Gyarados with Earthquake) which could bypass Disguise and thus nullify Mimikyu's emergency Trick Room while dealing supereffective damage to the entire team.

The Team

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang / Thunder Punch
- Play Rough

Role: Mawile is the core around whom I wanted to build the team, she is the physical sweeper and wallbreaker of the team. Against many agressive teams, a Trick Room opener to M-Mawile sweep will force a concede.

Moves: Play Rough is her main move and the ones we'll use the most, 90% accuracy means hax will happen and that can be pretty devastating but maxHP investment is often enough for her to take a hit. Sword Dance is not used often but is necessary in case of persistent walls like Chansey or Mega Venusaur. We then have a coverage move, I currently use Fire Fang as steel types can wall the team pretty hard but I used Thunder Punch when toxapex was more frequent. Lasty, as always, Sucker Punch is there to pick up the last few ennemies in case Trick Room is not up.

Cresselia @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 220 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Lunar Dance
Role: Cresselia's role is to set up Trick Rooms and then switch to one of the sweepers, she is both myTrick Room and Specially defensive Pivot.

Moves: She will rarely do much damage on her own but can finish damaged mons with Psychic. Ice beam is there for coverage and can surprise opponent T-Landorus. Thanks to her incredible bulk she can sometime outdamage a enemy sweeper but her lack of heals and pivot status will make that pretty rare. Lunar Dance is an extremely useful move that will give a second life to a crippled mon (usually a sweeper) while making it dodge the incoming attack. Trick Room to MMawile Sweep to another Trick Room to Lunar Dance -> MWawile sometimes destroys teams on it's own.

Item: I saw that leftovers was sometimes used but as I wanted to guarantee at least 1 Trick Room, I decided to go with Mental Herb. It has not seen that much uses as Taunt has grown rarer with BP's ban but has certainly won me games against Tapu Koko leads.

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast
Role: Magearna is my agressive Trick Room setter and special sweeper and will often be used as a lead. She has higher bulk than MMawile and as such is often a safer switch in.

Moves: Trick Room will usually be set right away and then Fleur Cannon into Fairium Z is pretty much a guaranteed OHKO angainst a vast majority of mons which means a free Soul-Heart that will help us do some heavy damage with its canon attacks. Focus Blast is there for steel types like Ferrothorn and Heatran (which was the biggest threat to the team)

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
Brave Nature
- Shadow Claw / Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Trick Room
Role: Mimikyu is my third and last Trick Room setter as well as my third sweeper. Compared to the other two that I send in anytime I can, he will usually be kept on the backline as a last resort. His ability, Disguise, will guarantee him to ability to set up a Trick Room which can guarantee a killl or force a switch on quicker High Attack opponents that would have been swept the rest of the team.

Moves: Play Rough and Shadow Sneak are its main coverage moves allowing us to hit neutrally pretty much anything, Swords Dance is used for walls or when switched in while Trick Room is already up, as this Mimikyu usually uses Trick Room instead of the usual Swords Dance during it's Disguise turn, Mimikyu rarely has the time to use sword dance, as such, I often use Shadow Claw instead to hit steel types harder.

Item: Once Disguise is busted, Mimikyu loses his emergency Trick Room possibility and the goal just becomes to do as much damage has possible, Life Orb fulfills that need perfectly. Ghostium Z would be favored over Life Orb though, as we have max Hp investment, but Maegarna needs Fairium Z more than Mimikyu needs Ghostium.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 230 Def / 28 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
Standard T-Landorus defensive pivot set. I didn't change the nature to -Spe and kept 31 Speed IVs for both of my pivots as they were mainly used between trick rooms turns and not during. If there are no Ice Beam users on my opponent's team I'll often open with T-Landorus to set up rocks. Rocks help the sweepers and punishes the abuse of switch which is often used to pass the trick rock turns.

Answers: M-Charizard and Heatran

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
Role: Standard Rotom wash set, as it is immune to ground and resistant to fire and steel, the 2 weaknesses of the main sweepers, it usually is a pretty safe switch in and walls Heatran really well while being able to chip away at his health with Hydro Pump.
Answers: Mega Gyarados

Strategy

I will usually send either Cresselia, Landorus or Magearna first depending on the opponent's team and the predicted lead. If I managed to open with a safe Trick Room I will usually try a MMawile/Magearna sweep right away. When trick room ends, I'll test the waters with my defensive pivots till I find an opening for another Trick Room and another sweep.

Weaknesses

Main weakness of the team are status moves: poison can completely cripple most of the team and burn, while rarer, takes down two of the three sweepers. The only potential heal in that case is Cresselia's Lunar Dance which is then usually used to heal up a poisoned Mimikyu or burned Mawile. I thought of switching W-Rotom for Tapu Fini to help with that when I'll be met with more resistance.

Pokemon Wise, a M-Charizard Y team is really hard to play against. M-Charizard himself can Solar Beam trough W-Rotom and Fire Blast trough the rest of the team while being able to roost during Trick Room turns. Tapu Fini walls the team really well while being able to deal big damage with Nature Madness (especially to Cresselia) and can use taunt to deny Trick Rooms and defensive T-Landorus can Intimidate Mawile while threatening an earthquake, forcing her to switch.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang
- Iron Head

Cresselia @ Mental Herb
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Def / 220 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Lunar Dance

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 230 Def / 28 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Magearna @ Fairium Z
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Focus Blast

Mimikyu @ Life Orb
Ability: Disguise
Brave Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Play Rough
- Trick Room

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Last edited:
Rotom-W doesnt answer mega gyra. mold breaker earthquake
Oh my bad, true, I had completely forgot about that. Thankfully hadn't hapenned to me yet as I've only seen Crunch+Waterfall M-Gyaradoses.

Am currently trying Defensive Trick Room Pivot Slowbro instead of W-Rotom.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)