Metagame Mega Evolution in Sun & Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mega Camerupt and Mega Banette are now released!

...But neither will have any place in OU though. But I guess it's kinda cool that Mega Banette gets Prankster on Turn 1 now.

This leaves us with Aggronite, Altarianite, Latiasite, Latiosite and Diancite as the unconfirmed mega stones. I'm willing to bet Altarianite and Aggronite will become legal with Gallade/Gardevoir/Lopunny next month.
Maybe Mega Camerupt can shine a little in Trick Room teams, but idk...Diancie and the Lati@s Mega Stones will be given together, I guess.
Also, you forgot Mega Ampharos.

That leaves the following stones then

• Latias
  • Latios
  • Diancie
  • Ampharos
  • Aggron
  • Altaria
I think this will likely play out like this.

1. Two of the stones (except Diancite, and its likely that the twin dragons will get theirs at the same time) will be given out in the Universal code for the tiny tourney stones.
  2. That leaves enough stones for one more competition but no bonus stones (unless they do repeats). At which point those last few stones will be released in next month's tournament.
  3. The Diancite: I think three things will happen.
    1. It will be released as a standalone item,
    2. It will not be released at all
    3. or it will be released alongside a Diancie to use it with.
Unlike the rest of the stones. which are keyed to pokemon that can be obtained on the cartridge. Diancite is keyed to a Mythical Pokemon, and it seems almost unlikely (I said almost, The Gradidia, Prison Bottle and Soul Dew says hi) that the games would give out a Mega stone when there is no way to get the respective pokemon in Gen 7. On the other hand, Diancie as a Mythical pokemon, is banned from VGC and so are the Mega Stones. So its possible that GF might consider it pointless to release the stone, making it less likely to release a single stone and more likely for the other two options. Now between this and GF seeming to want to make it possible to fill the gaps in the pokedex. The When, Where and How are still unknown. It could be a Japan only thing or a worldwide release. it could happen a month after the mega stones are distributed or it could be in the months leading to Gen 8 on Switch. It could even be on a QR code that would never expire or on a timed serial code (and considering the lore [Rare. possibly one in a lifetime Carbink mutation, along with Carbink being found near their predator in Pony Canyon and maybe 10 Carat Hill] and that the Diancite is the only stone where you need the respective pokemon to get, I'd say a timed event is more likely).​

I don't know if speculation is allowed here, if not, mods please delete this.

Do you think it's possible there will be actually new mega evolutions brought with UltraSM? I like megas and I don't think it should remain a 6th gen exclusive thing. There could be a couple more imo. Preferably this time not the majority being already common OU pokemon getting dumb mega formes that are outclassed by a life orb set.

Do you think it's possible there will be actually new mega evolutions brought with UltraSM? I like megas and I don't think it should remain a 6th gen exclusive thing. There could be a couple more imo. Preferably this time not the majority being already common OU pokemon getting dumb mega formes that are outclassed by a life orb set.
Speculating on unreleased megas is fine, but it's pretty futile to do so on hypotetical megas.

I think Game Freak have said they're not doing any more mega forms as it limits the buffs to certain pokemon whereas Z moves can be used by everything. They may change their minds later on but there almost certainly won't be any new megas in Usm.

Does Mega Camerupt really have a place on TR teams over Megawile? Mawile seems like the perfect trick room mega due to its slow speed and ridiculous attack. Plus it gets Swords Dance while I don't believe Camerupt gets nasty plot.

Does Mega Camerupt really have a place on TR teams over Megawile? Mawile seems like the perfect trick room mega due to its slow speed and ridiculous attack. Plus it gets Swords Dance while I don't believe Camerupt gets nasty plot.
While I don't think it is better than Mawile in TR, it does have it's differences, being a special attacker for one, as well as being slower so outspeeding more mons. It also has some pretty great coverage that gets sheer force boosted, helps push it to some pretty crazy levels of power. However, as you mentioned it isn't mawile crazy. Mawile is pretty much the perfect trick room mon.

I'm really interested in seeing what power up punch lopunny is going to be able to do once released. Unfortunately, I think her release will also result in mega ttars downfall again. I was really enjoying using him too. ;___; He's so good right now

At least, Mega Banette can use Prankster upon megaevolving, thus making it...less worse than previous generation.
Priority Destiny Bond is also nice, but I don't think this is enough for this OU metagame.

Mega Camerupt is outclassed by Mega Mawile in and out Trick Room, so basically you have no reason to use it.

Talking about Lati@s, they suffer from the abundance of Faeries and Steel, but that nerf to Sucker Punch really helps their viability as luxury megas. Mega Latios can be also "usable" as DD physical attacker.
Mega Mawile and Greninja still exist and hurt them in OU, though.

Last edited:
I could easily see Ampharosite and Aggronite been distributed with TTar/Abo/Mane just after Gal/Gard/Lop next week. But I don't know how Altarianite could be given. We'll have the answer with the announcement of the next online competition soon.

I think that Mega Camerupt has no purpose in this OU, thus including Trick Room. This is only my humble opinion, of course.
Only because one monster is slow this doesn't mean it is usable in Trick Room builds; Ground and Water moves + SR are common and forces out swiftly.

Ok, it has a good bulk because it can wall some things (i.e. Mega Mawile, Magearna, Tapu Koko, Mega Manectric), but Rotom-H has a similar bulk with Leftovers and nobody loves it despite the fact that the microwave oven can check the monsters you listed.

So, if I have to use some Megas in Trick Room, I'd use Mega Mawile even if it shares nothing with Mega Camerupt. Mawile has better typing, movepool and can even run a bulky SubSD set if you want to use something fun for Trick Room.

Last edited:
I think that Mega Camerupt has no purpose in this OU, thus including Trick Room. This is only my humble opinion, of course.
Only because one monster is slow this doesn't mean it is usable in Trick Room builds; Ground and Water moves + SR are common and forces out swiftly. A defensive Fire type can't be that good if it loses 25% HP every time it switches.

Ok, it has a good bulk because it can wall some things (i.e. Mega Mawile, Magearna, Tapu Koko, Mega Manectric), but Rotom-H has a similar bulk with Leftovers and nobody loves it despite the fact that the microwave oven can achieve pretty much the same goals.

So, if I have to use some Megas in Trick Room, I'd use Mega Mawile even if it shares nothing with Mega Camerupt. Mawile has better typing, movepool and can even run a bulky SubSD set if you want to use something fun for Trick Room.
Camerupt takes neutral damage from rocks
Rotom-w cant't switch against those mons you listed, and I guess mega camerupt on full TR may have some merit with powerfull Eruptions(it's hard to set up hazzards against uxie) that are way more spammable than mawile's moves

My thoughts on Mega Camerupt for Trick Room:

While Mega mawile is undoubtedly powerful and can tear unprepared teams apart, it also shares its typing with the premiere TR setter, Magenera, and stacks its fire and ground weakness. For this reason, TR teams tend to have a nasty fire weakness in general, and have few switchins for hard hitters like Mega Charizard Y and Victini. The most common TR fire resist seems to be Marowak A, but because it's also weak to all forms of hazards, and most TR teams don't run hazard control, Marowak can't consistently switch into to fire moves. Offensive water types like Azurmarril and Crawdaunt fear Grass coverage moves and burns, and slow/powerful Dragons like Dragalgea and Drampa have a hard time breaking through defensive cores with Steel types, and are subpar picks.

I've run bulky band Tyranitar on TR, and while it is effective at removing Mega Char Y from play, and can sweep with Band boosted Stone Edge, locking itself into any move, especially Pursuit, can be an unattractive prospect on a playstye which thrives on momentum. Like Azurmarril and Crawdaunt, it also mislikes switching into Will o Wisp or Lava Plume Heatran, as a burn makes it dead weight.

So, to me the main benefit of Mega Camperupt over Mawile or Marowak, is that it is a burn immunity/fire resist that is SR neutral, and still maintains impressive offensive and defensive capabilities.

Its low speed, typing and coverage are not unlike Marowak and it's even a proper electric counter, like Lightningrod Maro, but doesn't have to take recoil from its most powerful STAB. Its speed is also lower than Marowak and Mawile, so its able to run through Toxapex, without being underspeed, and can OKHO with STAB Earth Power.

While it can't boost its attacks like Marowak, its Sheer Force boosted STABs still hit like a truck, as does its coverage moves like Ancient Power, which is handy for taking out mons that resist its STABs, like Charizard Y, Dragonite, Salamence, Gyarados, Pelliper and Mantine. Eruption at full power is an especially strong nuke, and makes it pair naturally well with Lunar Dance Cresselia, who is immune to its ground weakness. Other options Camerupt can use include HP Ice, handy for hitting Zyguarde and Garchomp, and the aforementioned Dragonite and Salamence.

If used with Tapu Bulu, Grassy Terrain can enable Camerupt use Nature Power, for a Sheer Force boosted Energy Ball, handy for taking out all nature of water types, including the troubling Rotom W. Grassy Terrain is also handy for the camel as it protects it from Earthquakes, provides passive recovery, and does not inhibit Earth Power's damage output.

Finally, if the player doesn't want 4 attacking moves, Camerupt can always opt to run Stealth Rock, which is always handy. Mega Sableye also has a hard time walling it, and can't burn it or Knock Off its item.

All in all, Camerupt is a solid TR pick. It gets hard stopped by Chansey, but Taunt SD Tapu Bulu is a great stall counter anyway, and a good teammate for the camel.

Last edited:
Is M-Gardevoir a thing or is it just a weaker Lele ?
It is pretty much a slightly faster Lele, but with a weaker Psychic STAB and a stronger Fairy STAB. I guess it also has more support options like Will-O-Wisp and Healing Wish, but its pretty much outclassed most of the time. Probably will sit in BL this gen

Is M-Gardevoir a thing or is it just a weaker Lele ?
I anticipate Gardevoir-Mega will certainly have a role. I'd imagine Gardevoir-Mega is basically a Tapu Lele that is more expensive (you can't have other Mega Evolutions), but in return Gardevoir has better Speed and a better STAB (A powerful Fairy STAB is much better than a powerful Psychic STAB). I wouldn't be so sure that Gardevoir-Mega will be "weaker."

If you don't have a Mega Evolution on your team and you want a powerful Psychic-Fairy, I'd imagine you'd take Gardevoir-Mega. If you already have a Mega Evolution and you want a powerful Psychic-Fairy (and are not willing to change the Mega Evolution), I'd imagine you'd take Tapu Lele.

I assume that unlike what was expected at first, a Gardevoir-Lele core will likely not be a thing. Lele is hard-stopped by the popular Steels and Gardevoir is not much better.

I assume that unlike what was expected at first, a Gardevoir-Lele core will likely not be a thing. Lele is hard-stopped by the popular Steels and Gardevoir is not much better.
Also, this core doesn't have any deffensive sinergy... so they would need a shit ton of team support to perform well.
I really like M-Gardevoir, but, I think Lele outclass it as Stallbreaker because Lele can run Shed shell to avoid being trapped by Duggy. As wallbreaker, I prefer have a Fairy-Type nuke than a Psychic Type nuke. M-Gardevoir still have some niches such as being able to run WoW to cripple switch-ins and also, run Healing Wish as 4th move. But the ever present steel-types obviously hurts its viability :( I think B+ rank for M-Garde or even A-

I can't see garde being a thing, 5 points in speed and better fairy stab is everything she have over lele, but lele is imunne to priority(and makes her team immune to), can stallbreak way better, tnks to the ability of 2KO chansey and being able to switch out of duggy tnks to shed shell, it's harder to predict tnks to item choice, and of course doesn't take mega slot. But even mega pidgeot and mega chomp got ranked(both heavly outclassed by regular chomp and tornadus-t) so Maybe garde get ranked in the C's

I can't see garde being a thing, 5 points in speed and better fairy stab is everything she have over lele, but lele is imunne to priority(and makes her team immune to), can stallbreak way better, tnks to the ability of 2KO chansey and being able to switch out of duggy tnks to shed shell, it's harder to predict tnks to item choice, and of course doesn't take mega slot. But even mega pidgeot and mega chomp got ranked(both heavly outclassed by regular chomp and tornadus-t) so Maybe garde get ranked in the C's
I do think Mega Gardevoir will be “a thing.” Mega Gardevoir is basically a less flexible but more powerful version of Tapu Lele. Tapu Lele is better at fighting the Stall, but Mega Gardevoir is better at fighting everything else (and she gets access to stuff like Taunt so enemies can’t heal), so I say it evens out.

However, Mega Gardevoir is only modestly better than Tapu Lele. Tapu Lele, in the meantime, is much more splashable than Mega Gardevoir, with only a slight decrease in offensive capability. Because of the greater splashability, Tapu Lele will see usage on more teams than Mega Gardevoir, which can incorrectly lead people to assume Tapu Lele is better than Mega Gardevoir. It's not that Tapu Lele is better, it's just that Tapu Lele is more "affordable (for lack of a better word)."

Mega Gardevoir basically should be treated as a luxury. Not strictly needed on teams, but you should get it if you can spare some extra change.

Mega Gardevoir will be a "thing." But a more expensive "thing" than Tapu Lele. And the extra price doesn't always justify the benefits brought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)