Gen 6 Mega-Aggron Trick Room Team

Wanted to give myself a bit of a challenge, and I quite like Mega-Aggron. I found that one of the only ways to make him useful (besides straight being a straight up wall) is running him as a bulky physical sweeper under Trick Room. So this RMT will feature Mega-Aggron, with the pokemon that I think support him best. However, not being a pokemon expert, I cannot guarantee that each pokemon is the best at the role they provide, so that's why I need you guys over here at smogon to give me some advice!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aggron-Mega @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy ---> Filter
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Roar
- Stealth Rock

When wanted to make a Trick Room team, I decided Mega Aggron would be a handy member to have, with his high defence stat, low speed and impressive (for a wall) attack stat. The ability is Sturdy as it is the only ability that can really be made use of (non-mega switching in to low kick for example). Attack and HP for the EV spread to double down on both the nice attack stat and bulk. Brave Nature and 0 Speed IVs to ensure that he goes first under Trick Room. Earthquake is for coverage against the Fire types that may threaten it. Iron Head is for STAB and flinch hax (I thought long and hard about using Heavy Slam, but considering the more reliable damage and flinch chance as Aggron will go first under Trick Room, I think it is worth it). Roar is in the set to deal with setup sweepers, substitute or pokemon that are otherwise too difficult to deal with. Stealth Rock is the final move in the set, which could definitely be replaced with Fire Punch - I decided to use SR as I do not possess any other means of hazard placement.

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Psyshock
- Energy Ball
- Trick Room
- Recover

Reuniclus felt like a fantastic addition, dismal speed, insane base special attack and nice overall bulk makes him a very useful TR setter. Leftovers is to synergise with both natural bulk and Recover. The ability Magic Guard is for dealing with Toxic stallers, and with a combination of Psyshock and Energy Ball, they be effectively dealt whether a physical or special wall. Relaxed Nature and 0 Speed IVs ensure that Reuniclus stays as slow as possible to further benefit from TR. Psyshock is a must have, even over psychic as not only does it have the STAB bonus, but it gives Reuniclus unmatched sweeping capabilites, with pretty much nothing to stop it apart from a Bug Buzz or Dark Pulse. Energy Ball was something I chose to run over Focus Blast, as I already have FB on Gengar and Mach Punch/Hammer Arm on Conkeldurr. I noticed how much my team struggled against Rain Teams, Swampert especially, which I now have an answer to via Energy Ball. Trick Room is self-explanatory. Recover is pretty much essential on Reuniclus and against pretty much any physical pokemon, Reuniclus (under TR) can safely alternate between Recover and an attack until they either die or are forced to switch out.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Recover
- Tri Attack
- Ice Beam

Porygon2 is probably my least favourite member of the team, but after extensive research I found that he is one of the best secondary Trick Room setters. Eviolite is for increasing overall bulk. The ability Trace is really a gamble if anything, but usually ends up being beneficial to Porygon2 i.e Serene Grace Tri Attack. Sassy Nature and 0 Speed IVs are to further decrease his already lacking speed. Trick Room once again is self-explanatory. Recover is something I would maybe consider replacing, as I never seem to get much use out of it, but there isn't much that can be put in the slot that would be more useful. Tri Attack for STAB and status chance which is generally quite beneficial for Porygon2. Ice Beam for coverage against common threats such as Salamence and Garchomp. I am definitely looking to replace porygon2 with a more effective special wall - trick room setter.

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Ice Punch
- Hammer Arm

Conkeldurr, in my opinion, is probably a cant-do-without in terms of Gen 6 Trick Room teams. He is extremely effective in AND out of the room, able to OHKO Greninja with Mach Punch, Gengar and Starmie with Knock Off, Salamence with Ice Punch - this list of threats he can deal with is quite extensive, without much to stop him apart from fast Flying and Psychic users outside of the room. Flame Orb for the 50% attack boost via Guts. Guts for the boost from Flame Orb. I used to run AV on Conk but after noticing his inability to deal with Toxic and Will-O-Wisp especially, I found Guts more useful as it allows him to gain benefit from being statused. Brave Nature and 0 Speed IVs to synergise with Hammer Arm and Trick Room. Mach Punch is a staple move, and allows me to deal with foes who are problematic for my Gengar and Reuniclus a.k.a dark types. Knock Off is great to have as it allows a OHKO on any non-bulky ghost type and usually does decent damage to anything else holding an item just in case anyway. Knock Off also allows Conk to deal with his Psychic type threat. Ice Punch is for coverage against Flying Type threats. Hammer Arm is for incredible sweeping capability under Trick Room, where if immediately switched in, Conkeldurr can pretty much OHKO anything that doesn't resist Fighting.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Although I like Magnezone as a pokemon, I don't feel he is the best option for a moderate speed (TR in and out functionality) special sweeper, I was maybe considering something like Vikavolt to deal with Psychic and Dark, but let me know what you guys think. Choice Specs for highly increased damage for even more threatening sweeping capability. The ability Magnet Pull is for dealing with Mega-Scizor and Ferrothorn especially, whomst no one else can deal with. Modest Nature over Quiet to keep the speed low, but not low enough to the point of being useless out of TR. Flash Cannon for STAB and dealing with physically bulky fairy types such as Aromatisse. Hidden Power [Fire] for dealing with trapped steel types. Thunderbolt for STAB. Volt Switch for momentum and checking for threats under TR.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

The final pokemon of the team, who is my newest addition, but also one I am unsure about. He fit the final niche I needed; Functions very well outside of TR and learns taunt for stall breaking. Life Orb as you unfortunately can't run specs on a Taunt set, and LO over Sash as I am usually having to deal with Hazards when sending in Gengar being that he is a late game sweeper and my team has no hazard removal. Timid Nature to increase speed and ensure out of TR functionality. Sludge Wave for the STAB and another answer to fairy types. Shadow Ball for STAB and an answer to ghost types that I otherwise wouldn't possess. Focus Blast for coverage. Taunt for dealing with stalling pokemon such as (although not very common) Cradily and Umbreon. The poison typing makes Gengar immune to toxic, and being a special attacker, being burnt isn't a huge deal either.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading, any and all feedback is appreciated!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)