Mechanics In Pokemon Legends: Arceus You'd Like To See In Future Titles

Im curious what peoples thoughts are towards Fixated status and moves. For those unaware, attacks like Trash and Outrage no longer lock you into an attack. Instead, you deal more damage by selecting the attack consecutively and have the freedom to select different attacks, but you also take bonus damage from incoming attacks. Confusion isnt a status in PLA, so for the sake of discussion we can assume the fixation replaces confusion.

Pros:
  1. No longer locked to movesets
  2. Less RNG based gameplay (turn order before confusion, than actual confusion would be removed)
  3. Opponent would have to play around not just the boosted attack, but the possibility of pivoting to its other attacks/

Cons:

1. Bonus damage would make it more susceptible to priority or speed creep
  2. Combined with items and abilities, may prove to be too strong on mons like Garchomp.
What do you guys think? is the way PLA does it more interesting or should moves stay Locked to keep power balance?

Im curious what peoples thoughts are towards Fixated status and moves. For those unaware, attacks like Trash and Outrage no longer lock you into an attack. Instead, you deal more damage by selecting the attack consecutively and have the freedom to select different attacks, but you also take bonus damage from incoming attacks. Confusion isnt a status in PLA, so for the sake of discussion we can assume the fixation replaces confusion.

Pros:
  1. No longer locked to movesets
  2. Less RNG based gameplay (turn order before confusion, than actual confusion would be removed)
  3. Opponent would have to play around not just the boosted attack, but the possibility of pivoting to its other attacks/

Cons:

1. Bonus damage would make it more susceptible to priority or speed creep
  2. Combined with items and abilities, may prove to be too strong on mons like Garchomp.
What do you guys think? is the way PLA does it more interesting or should moves stay Locked to keep power balance?
I'm going to go with keep them as they are.

The part of me that loves synergies is drawn more towards the existing implementation because there are options that mitigate the downsides of confusion (a prime example being Own Tempo Lilligant with Petal Dance), but none that directly mitigate the extra damage taken from fixated. Similarly, the part of me that loves the breadth of options feels that the new interpretations is close enough to existing moves (echoed voice and Fury cutter) that the loss of the old version represents a decrease in the number of move styles available. Finally, they'd definitley require balance adjustments on top of the change, even discounting item/ability boosts. Currently, they're 120 power moves with only downsides, so providing an extra upside in the damage increase on subsequent uses would likely require a reduction in power.

I definitely want Frostbite to replace Freeze. We’ve all lost a match before to an unlucky freeze, and it has always been completely broken. Frostbite is much more balanced, and it also gives you a way to cripple special attackers outside of moves like Eerie Impulse, which most users have other koves they’d rather run. It also gives Ice types a small boost. If we got a status orb that causes Frostbite it would also give Fire type Guts users an easier time.

I also want the grit system back, but only for IVs not EVs.

I'm sure it's probably already been mentioned but the stealth aspect of catching Pokemon is so much fun. I love hiding out to catch Pokemon instead of battling them one by one.

so yeah, we kind of figured that there's some sort of damage decrease when your pokemon is overleveled. but how does it actually work? what's the formula? take this for example:

how do we make it make sense?

so yeah, we kind of figured that there's some sort of damage decrease when your pokemon is overleveled. but how does it actually work? what's the formula? take this for example:

I never heard anything about a decrease, rather the damage forumula in Legends makes it so the actual attacking stats barely matter(making Attack and Special Attack boosting natures pretty terrible). That's why a Chansey can deal a buttload of damage with Double-Edge despite having the lowest attack in the game. Type Effectiveness and the move's base power are far more important, and I'm pretty certain that the Hyper Beam being Not Very Effective is the main factor in it surviving the hit.

This is probably a question for the research thread

Coming back to this because there's an aspect I gained new appreciation for after going back to BDSP briefly for some living dex clean up, namely:
the fact that Level Ups dont have the screen and Moves are queued up.

I think for the most part this stems from Legends Arceus prioritizing a smooth exploration experience (you want to be capturing out of battle as much as possible, alongside stuff like hitting rocks) and shoving all exp to the end of battle. Since distirbution takes place out of battle or on a black screen it means that it'd be awkward to suddenly stop doing stuff because you have to sit through a dozen levle up screens and move learning minutia.

But man going back to BDSP and sitting through all those level up stat screens and more importantly all the move confirmations just because you're leveling up a ton of Pokemon at once, oof. The LA stuff really had it made.

I think maybe letting you toggle it somehow would be ideal, because while playing LA i did miss keeping track of the stats the pokemon were gaining and not needing to micromanage the moves, but on the whole it really is a nice and smooth system.

But man going back to BDSP and sitting through all those level up stat screens and more importantly all the move confirmations just because you're leveling up a ton of Pokemon at once, oof. The LA stuff really had it made.
I mentioned something about it back in the Annoying things thread: whenever one likes LA or not, man the battle transition and post-battle UI are such a huge improvement over the main series that going back to BDSP or even SwSh really really hurts.

Really hoping they reproduce it in SV (since apparently they seem to be wanting to keep the openworld-y orientation Arceus had, even without the whole exploration/catching system). Having 5 seconds between "aggro" and first input, as well as istant "back to the field" transition with everything else being just on the side of the screen with move learning and evolutions being just stuff to do in menus whenever you feel like it was SO comfy.

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
Gonna do the opposite of what this thread is about for a moment.

Saw some speculation just now about whether Scarlet and Violet will keep the PLA approach to gaining experience (all after the battle, none during). A lot of people seemed to like this idea. Personally, I hope it doesn't happen. Clutch mid-battle level-ups are nice little hype moments that pop up now and then in a playthrough, and I'd be disappointed to lose them.

But more importantly: Whatever they do, I really hope they don't continue to deny experience to any Pokemon that fainted at any point in the battle. It's a bit too easy in PLA for some team members to fall behind because of this.

And, while I like being able to relearn moves at any moment, I hope they go back to prompting us in-battle when a new move becomes available. All through PLA, I worried that I would miss a "new move" notification and be accidentally underpowered for a while

Gonna do the opposite of what this thread is about for a moment.

Saw some speculation just now about whether Scarlet and Violet will keep the PLA approach to gaining experience (all after the battle, none during). A lot of people seemed to like this idea. Personally, I hope it doesn't happen. Clutch mid-battle level-ups are nice little hype moments that pop up now and then in a playthrough, and I'd be disappointed to lose them.

But more importantly: Whatever they do, I really hope they don't continue to deny experience to any Pokemon that fainted at any point in the battle. It's a bit too easy in PLA for some team members to fall behind because of this.

And, while I like being able to relearn moves at any moment, I hope they go back to prompting us in-battle when a new move becomes available. All through PLA, I worried that I would miss a "new move" notification and be accidentally underpowered for a while
Don't have any comments on the first one, I personally would lean towards the streamlined post battle stuff but wouldn't care too much either way.

Second one I'm not so sure about, tbh fainting and losing the chance of exp feels like a fair punishment and assuming SV sticks to the classic battle system I have to imagine it won't feel too much like Arceus where it feels like you could just lose a pokemon without being able to do anything about it. Plus with classic battles it feels like you could afford to take a turn to revive a pokemon compared to Arceus where the whack stats mean you might not have that turn.

I see the concern with the third point but tbh I think it could be alleviated by the fact you can swap in and out moves from your move pool at any time. That's the feature I'd like to see as it would cut down on things like move relearner or unnecessary buying of TM/TRs. Maybe with a more prominent indicator for when your Pokemon has a new move available.

I see this sentiment expressed a lot (usually alongside 'mid-battle evolutions please!!') and it always confuses me a little. With the classic system you gain exp after defeating a mon but before the next (usually unknown) mon is sent out, so you're pretty much always levelling up a) immediately after gaining the upper hand in the battle anyway and b) before you know whether or not the extra stats/move/etc are going to make a crucial difference to the rest of the battle. Maybe it's cool in hindsight after you win the battle and can be pretty confident that the extra level made the difference, but I can't think of any situation I've been in where the level-up itself was a clutch moment.

Echoing other posts in this thread, I'd really like to see the ability to freely customise your moveset carry on into future games, primarily because it allows players to experiment with unconventional strategies like stat debuffs and dedicated support mons for major in-game battles without compromising their team's ability to efficiently clear routes. Obviously the newer games let you just dump a support Pokemon in the back of your party to passively gain levels through the new exp system, but that doesn't make you feel like you're actually raising all your mons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)