Mass shooting at a theater screening of the new Batman movie (12 dead, 58 injured)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/20/us/colorado-theater-shooting/

The shooter

Stolen from Neogaf said:
Current up-to-date information from UK sources
  • (06:30 Denver time / 13:30 UK time):
  • Suspect's name is James Holmes.
  • Born December 13th 1987, 24 years old.
  • 12 persons confirmed dead.
  • 10 bodies still inside the theatre, 2 others died in hospital from their injuries.
  • It's also confirmed one of the dead is TV reporter Jessica Ghawi. Her friend Natalie Tejeda, a traffic reporter in San Antonio, confirmed it on Twitter.
  • 50 others injured.
  • Police recovered a rifle and "at least 2 handguns".
  • Tear gas was used during the attack, suspect was dressed in body armor and helmet/goggles.
  • Suspect's car being searched for explosives.
  • Suspect implied apartment in northern Aurora also contains explosives, and is being searched by FBI.
  • Attack is the worst mass shooting in the US since 2007, when Seung-Hui Cho killed 32 people and himself on the Virginia Tech campus.
  • Gateway High School is being used as a meeting location for family members seeking to reunite with loved ones.

Small details on the shooter: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...ect-struggled-to-find-work-neighbor-says.html

http://soundcloud.com/producermatthew/7pm-press-conference-on-aurora

So what do you think his purpose is/was? He picked a very good spot, tactically speaking, to ensure lots of casualties. The gunman also used gas, which speaks to some sort of preparation.

This looks more planned than just a random shooting. What's the motive?

I'm just really upset about this because this weekend was supposed to be a joyous one with everyone enjoying the long-anticipated movie. Considering everyone at the midnight showing was a great fan of Batman, or a movie fanboy, makes this hit really close to home for me.

I'm just really upset about this because this weekend was supposed to be a joyous one with everyone enjoying the long-anticipated movie. Considering everyone at the midnight showing was a great fan of Batman, or a movie fanboy, makes this hit really close to home for me.
This seems like a decent motive, assuming there's ever a good motive for something like this. <_<

so some people's parents get senselessly killed at a movie theater watching a movie about a guy who becomes a superhero after his parents get senselessly killed by a mugger

denver is going to be an interesting place in 15 years

On another level, I'm more surprised this guy chose to surrender rather than shoot it out with the cops considering he was in body armor, unless his AR-15 was out of ammo. I mean, most people as disturbed as he is usually choose death, and it'd be a shame if he got some successful insanity defense at his eventual trial.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Why did you make this PK? It's just going to be buzz word after buzz word.
yeah I'm just going to preemptively stop the thread here. We just recently had a gun control thread iirc, no need to go over it again.

It's a sad story and my heart goes out to the families involved, but this isn't really discussion worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)