Mario Kart 8 Deluxe Smogon Thread: THE RETURN (post Switch Friend Codes here)

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So yeah, Mario Kart 8 is coming out again, and this time its better than ever!

For those of you who weren't there: Mario Kart 8 on Smogon was incredibly memorable. When that game came out, it took over IRC for over a month. Pokemon stopped: we did nothing but play Mario Kart all day.

Some of my fondest memories of the past few years have been playing with you guys, and now that a better version is coming out, I wanna see if any of ya are getting the Switch version, because we need to make this a thing again!

For those of you that missed the epic thread, here's the old one: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-smogon-mario-kart-8-thread.3508185/

My Switch Friend Code: SW-0813-8820-4707

Here's a google form for this, idk if we're gonna use it, but it might be useful for the lazier people.

https://goo.gl/forms/8g9lfmlyZVJf9I1w1

So what are we gonna do in this thread?

I'm not sure if we can recapture the same magic, since despite the Switch's success, Smogon appears to have a weird Wii U fetish. But the goal is: we just organize times to play, tournaments, and share our stories here!

Last edited:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
debating if i should get. Really comes down to portability/battle mod. Theorymon am on fence. plz help ty
Well if it helps you make the decision: The Switch feels like the anti Wii U atm, the hardware is actually nice to hold, the OS actually works, and it has an incredible launch game (I love New Super Mario Bros U but I gotta take off my Mario fanboy glasses for a moment). At the very least, Breath of the Wild + Mario Kart would keep ya busy for a while. Lots of good indie games too!

Oh besides just the Switch: Apparently all the battle mode stuff is online and totally killer. Impressions for it are extremely positive so far.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
SW-3815-0321-8326 mii is called Jake

this game is cool, obviously same old mario kart but dual items is nice and everything is super smooth. shame that fire hopping is gone, I keep doing it out of habit lol. really enjoying king boo being back and inkling boy. haven't given battle mode a real go yet though.

Ullar

card-carrying wife-guy
is a Smogon Discord Contributor
ok so theres the form, but wheres the sheet taht it enters the info into???

SW-0878-1446-6492 btw

Didn't know this was a think.
SW-0041-3685-9816
I'm at a lower VR atm since i got the switch about a week ago.

I’m now trying to beat all the 200cc Grand Prix cups. Damn this feels impossible. The whole 200cc feels impossible. Lakitu has to pick me up every 10 seconds because I constantly fly off the track. Any tips?

I’m now trying to beat all the 200cc Grand Prix cups. Damn this feels impossible. The whole 200cc feels impossible. Lakitu has to pick me up every 10 seconds because I constantly fly off the track. Any tips?
I had a lot of trouble as well. Every time I play online and the track turns out to be a mirror/200cc, I instantly turn sad. I just can't. What I did to eventually get 3 stars on every 200cc cup:

Pick a lightweight character. Preferably the babies. You don't need the extra top speed a heavy character would give you, since it's 200cc anyways. You already have the speed; more speed is only going to cause trouble with staying on track. Therefore, also pick a vehicle with relatively low top speed and high acceleration. Not only is it good because of the reason mentioned above, you also have to assume you're going to get hit by items quite often. In that case, acceleration outclasses top speed as well. Finally, utilize the rubber banding of the CPU to your advantage. If you don't know what I'm talking about, basically the computer’s speed varies based on how fast the human player goes at the outset of the race. For example, if you hang back and wait for several seconds at the start of a race, your AI opponents will go slower throughout the rest of their laps. If you're way far ahead, your AI opponents will naturally go faster.

Hope you'll kill it with these tips :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)