ORAS PU Lonely Road

Ban Machoke?

• Total voters

Hello again, Smogon! I'm back again with my third PU RMT. This is a balance team based around CM Beheeyem. I've grown rather fond of this team, as I used it to achieve reqs for the suspect test of Machoke in the PU tier. At one point, I was either second or third on the suspect ladder, hence the title: it's a very lonely road to reqs. This team was originally created by PTF for PUPL, of which our team, the Half-Blood Prinplups, kinda sorta scrubbed out of. I never got a chance to use it then, but I came back to it later and polished it a bit.

The problem with this not being my team, of course, is that I don't know the exact process that was used to build it. :p

Warning: Assumptions will be made!

The team started with Calm Mind Recover Beheeyem. It is one of the few mons in the tier that can OHKO standard Machoke, which is cool. CM>Nasty Plot so it can stay alive longer and hopefully do more damage. (Pretty sure this was the beginning.)

Scarf Rotom-Frost was added to take advantage of Beheeyem's weakening of SpDef walls. Standard moveset with Trick as the fourth move. Volt Switch can also force mons out and bring in Beheeyem safely.

Monferno was added as a bulky wincon, and also since Pawniard is really scary at this point. Knock Off does 50-60% to Beheeyem at +0, and +2 kills both mons if rocks are up. Sometimes has to switch into stuff.

Golem was added as a Volt Switch blocker and normal resist. Tank set over suicide lead set is needed in order to deal with the mons it walls better. Golem is just so good in PU.

Vullaby was added to Defog and to be another defensive wall. It also creates a sort of Volt-Turn core with Rotom-F. This is another great mon in PU imo.

Lastly, Politoed was added to mitigate the water weakness on the team. It's the standard 3 attacks Encore set, which comes in useful a lot.

The Team

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Beheeyem @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Analytic
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psychic
- Signal Beam

The wallbreaker. I've had games where I set up with this and the opponent literally couldn't kill it. Beheeyem is strong even without a boosting item, with 383 Special Attack at 252+, and Analytic on top of that. Colbur Berry is chosen to be a Machoke switchin/check, and it also lets me set up a Calm Mind on Knock Off Audino. Recover keeps the monster around longer. I use Psychic and Signal Beam as my attacking moves, as they give me the best neutral type coverage. Psychic is powerful STAB and Signal Beam nukes opposing dark mons. Had I gone with Shadow Ball, Beheeyem would lose its ability to abuse Colbur Berry versus dark mons, and Hidden Power Fighting makes it much weaker to opposing psychic mons such as Mr. Mime and Duosion. Max investment in SpAtk lets it do lots of damage, 96 Speed EVs let it hit 140 speed, outspeeding basically all fatmons (and Machoke!), and the rest was dumped into HP since its supposed to be a fatter Beheeyem. Nasty Plot is an option worth exploring, but I generally prefer the extra bulk Calm Mind brings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Trick

The scarfer. Standard Rotom-Frost. Blah, blah, blah. If you've played PU anywhere on a semi-decent level you probably know what this does by now. Thunderbolt is strong electric STAB, Blizzard makes Rotom-Frost a special snowflake
with the ability to threaten ground-types, Volt Switch takes momentum and is a good revenge killing attack, and Trick helps versus stall and Eviolite dependent mons like Clefairy. Max SpAtk and max Speed is the only way to use it, and 0 Atk IVs are to minimize confusion damage (although Dynamic Punch is probably knocking you out regardless. Maybe for Anty's Confuse Ray Volbeat Tail Glow Pass team?) I cannot guarantee the effectiveness of the team with nonshiny. :3
Hidden Power Ice is technically an option over Trick, but it makes the team's matchup vs. stall worse, and if you get to a point where you need to land multiple Blizzards in a row, you should probably play the team differently.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monferno @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Mach Punch
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat

The sweeper. Monferno is a great PU mon, and it's set to get even better if Machoke is banned. Fighting STAB is powerful, allowing it to revenge kill Stoutland, which is pretty threatening to the team if rocks are up. The moveset is the same boring old set I always use because it works. Swords Dance lets it wallbreak or possibly sweep, Mach Punch gives it good priority that hits a lot of the tier, Flare Blitz is the strongest physical fire attack in its moveset, and Close Combat is the strongest physical fighting attack in its moveset (barring Focus Punch. Remind me to try SubPunch Slack Off Monferno. Get the Iron Fist boost. n_n) I prefer Eviolite Monferno because it gives it the ability to switch into some attackers, such as Choice Scarf Mr. Mime locked into Dazzling Gleam and grass attackers like Simisage or Leafeon. Iron Fist boosts Mach Punch's power and helps it sweep. Max Atk and max Speed investment is normal, and a Jolly Nature means that it outspeeds Stoutland and Grumpig for sure. Adamant is an option if you feel like living dangerously.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Golem @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Atk / 232 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

The stealth rocker. Probably the best Stealth Rocker in the tier. Golem's unique Rock/Ground typing lets it absorb Volt Switch while also resisting normal and flying. A tank Golem set is preferred here due to the heavy pressure it takes from Dodrio, Stoutland, etc. I forget what 20 Atk Adamant does, but 8 EVs are put into Speed and the rest are dumped into HP and SpDef. Earthquake is the strongest ground type attack Golem learns, Rock Blast is more accurate than Stone Edge and can sometimes help versus Crustle or Sash users, Stealth Rock is Stealth Rock, and Toxic is how it hits Gourgeist and other defensive walls like Tangela. Protect is another option which I like on tank Golem that allows you to scout Choice-locked mons and get extra recovery, but I feel that Toxic helps more than Protect would.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

The defogger. Defensive Vullaby is standard, defensive Vullaby is good. After Defog and Roost, there are a lot of viable attacks on Vullaby, such as Knock Off, Brave Bird, Taunt, and Whirlwind, but for this team I prefer Foul Play and U-Turn. Foul Play is chosen here for the ability to punish setup sweepers like Pawniard and Monferno (Foul Play 2HKOes both if they boost to +2), and it also does a lot of damage to powerful attackers such as Ursaring and Stoutland. U-Turn gives me momentum since Vullaby can force out some mons like Leafeon, and it gets outsped most of the time, meaning it gives free switches to the other mons. Defog is the main reason to ever use Vullaby and balance always needs a hazard remover. Roost keeps Vullaby healthy. 248 HP / 252 Def with an Eviolite is great defense, and 8 Speed is nice.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Encore

The water resist. Politoed is naturally pretty bulky, so a tank set also makes sense here. Scald is the best move in the game and is good STAB with 100% accuracy. Ice Beam is good coverage and allows Politoed to hit flyers and bulky grasses for nice damage. Hidden Power Electric allows Politoed to have a chance versus other water types, such as Floatzel and opposing Politoed. However, Hidden Power Grass is also an option to hit Seaking. Encore is great on the ladder, where a great deal of players don't realize Politoed has it, and it also allows you to mindgame better opponents. Modest max SpAtk makes Politoed hit surprisingly hard, and 96 Speed allows Politoed to outspeed Adamant Mawile, which gives it the extra chance to burn with Scald. The rest of the EVs are, as usual, dumped into HP. I figured out while writing this that Politoed and Beheeyem have the same nature and EVs, which was an odd little coincidence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Threats

Lapras

Lapras has no switchins. None. Requires prediction to take down, but can be revenge killed with some prior damage by either Monferno or Rotom. Usually, I'm okay with sacrificing Politoed to do 50-75% to Lapras with Hidden Power Electric. Becomes much more managable if rocks are up, but usually gets a kill. One thing you can do is attack it once with Politoed, and then switch into Monferno on the predicted Freeze-Dry and revenge it/force it out.

Chatot

Very scary to face since Boomburst 2HKOes a good portion of the team, and nothing outspeeds Scarf Timid Chatot. If Golem is weakened and Stealth Rocks are up, Vullaby has to be sacrificed to Defog, and hopefully Rotom is at full. A few Boomburst crits can end the game quickly.

Mr. Mime

Also scary to face. Again, Scarf Timid outspeeds my entire team, which is bad. You have to see what they lock themselves into and try to play accordingly. If they lock into Dazzling Gleam, go into Golem if you won't need it later in the game, but if you do need it, you have to sacrifice a mon to get Monferno in, and you have to hope they don't switch out. If it's Life Orb Mr. Mime, try to predict a few turns and get Rotom-F in safely.

Machoke

Generally hard to switch into. Beheeyem and Vullaby can work as switchins, but beware of confusion BS. Beheeyem can kinda wall it if you're a bit lucky and can pull off the Recover, and Machoke shouldn't stay in since you OHKO it.​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Leads

Politoed

I usually lead Politoed if the opponent has a Golem, Marowak, Torkoal, or some other mon with Stealth Rock and is weak to water. Scald is a good move for this, but it sometimes means I lose the Politoed.

Rotom-Frost

I almost always lead Rotom if my opponent doesn't have a ground immunity. Volt Switch is a good move.

Golem

I lead Golem basically any time neither of the two conditions above happen. I usually don't set rocks up t1, but it happens occasionally.

Beheeyem

I only lead Beheeyem if I think my opponent is going to lead Machoke. This is the case for leading Beheeyem 99% of the time.

Politoed @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Modest Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Encore

Beheeyem @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Analytic
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psychic
- Signal Beam

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Monferno @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Swords Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat

Golem @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 20 Atk / 232 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Trick

Shoutouts

PTF, for making the team originally and being a cool teammate for PUPL. (Sorry m8, I'm kind of an idiot.)

5gen, a cool voice in the PU room and a good friend of mine who had the grand idea of building a team around specs Camerupt. (note: try it if you hate stall in PU.)

Rebel Pawniards, a cool guy who plays PU and also a good friend of mine.

Akir, my favorite mod in the PU room and a great guy on PS.

VeryPinkPancakes, another good friend with voice in PU and recently got Global Voice! :] Grats VPP.

Dundies, a cool guy who left PU to get swole and who beats me in every game we play.

cryalot, because it wouldn't be smogon if I didn't list at least one Italian. :] also a friend.

And finally, ManOfMany, my team captain for PUPL. Also a good friend. (Sorry fam! *'o'*)

Thanks for reading this far, and have a good day!

Last edited:

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello, fellow Iowan, EnemyJurist , a Cool team here I do have a few suggestions that can help with some of the weaknesses.

Ok, it looks like you have a tough time with a lot of special attackers so I would suggest changing Vullaby to Assult Vest Bouffalant this will help with Lapras, Mr.Mime, and Chatot rather nicely. I would also suggest Swanna over Politoed. Politoed is a great water switch-in, how-ever Swanna still has the ability to switch into resisted hits rather decently and this will still allow you to also have a better match up versus Machoke and Monferno. This will be a nice complement to Bouffalant, which can help to check special waters.

--->

--->

Bouffalant @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soundproof
Happiness: 0
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Pursuit

Facade over Megahorn is fine here as it helps with SubWisp Rotom which looks to be rather troublesome to the team. You also deal with Mons like Tangela and Quiladon rather nicely with the rest of the team.

Swanna @ Leftovers
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Defog
- Roost

Hope this helps, a cool team once again seems to be pretty solid without too many obvious weaknesses.

Thanks ShuckleDeath for reviewing the team! :]

Having tried out the edit, I figured I should give a few thoughts on the team before Machoke leaves and Beheeyem's spread becomes obsolete.

First off, I personally Sap Sipper>Soundproof on Bouffalant. This is due to not having a great Grass-type switchin with the removal of Vullaby, and Golem is on the team to check Chatot in addition to Bouff. (Backstory: I encountered a weird sun team and tried to bluff Sap Sipper. -_-)

Secondly, Defogging got a bit harder, as Swanna is not quite as bulky as Vullaby, and I found that offensive Waters just kinda destroyed me if Stealth Rocks were up and Swanna was weakened. (To be fair, that was kind of a problem before the change, although Politoed's immunity helped.)

Thirdly, I thought that the team just as a whole got worn down too easily since rocks were hard to get off the field. It was hard for Swanna to get off Roosts and Bouffalant had no way to recover, which was also a problem. In addition, I often had to sacrifice Golem to Water-types due to the lack of immunity meaning that opponents could freely spam Water attacks.

It's possible (and probable) that my "playstyle" (basically how I'm used to using the team) needs to change along with these changes, and I haven't played enough to actually get those changes.

Final thoughts: I was thinking about going Trick Room>Calm Mind and Psyshock>Psychic on Beheeyem so it's less useless against offense, but I'll have to try that out some other time on some other team. This team is about to be less than optimal. I figured since this was built for Machoke meta, I should respond to you before PS implements the ban. :1

Thanks for responding!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)