ORAS UU Lights Please

Pak

fly higher
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion

shoutout to Accelgor for the banner

Introduction
Hello and welcome to my fourth RMT. The team I'll be sharing this time around is one I built around Choice Specs Yanmega, a Pokemon that rarely sees any usage, and one that I thought for nearly two years was completely useless. Following a discussion with a few other players on its viability, I decided to test it out to strengthen my argument that it was in fact, terrible. That didn't go quite as planned as I had tons of fun with the team, even managing to peak #6 on the ladder, with Yanmega putting in an insane amount of work. About a week later I needed a team to use against Christo for LTPL but didn't have as much time to build as I expected and ended up using this instead. I managed to pull out a win and decided it was time to RMT. I figured with ORAS UU coming to a close it was the perfect time to make my last RMT for the generation.

I wanted to start out with Choice Specs Yanmega and thought about what takes advantage of what it lures. Nasty Plot Celebi and Aerodactyl both take advantage of weakened Steel-types and have a good matchup against most of the tier in general so they seemed like perfect fits.

I really needed hazard control as well as another way of whittling down opposing teams. Being the most reliable Rapid Spin user in the tier, Tentacruel fit the role well while also setting Toxic Spikes to wear down bulky cores for Aerodactyl and Celebi.

The team was looking really weak to Electric-types and lacked a good Stealth Rock user. Toxic Gligar seemed like a natural addition, also providing a check to Calm Mind Cresselia and Mega Aerodactyl.

Aside from Aerodactyl, the team was fairly slow and lacked a win condition aside from Celebi. I added Shuca Cobalion as it fit both criteria and pressures Pokemon such as Mamoswine, Curse Snorlax, and Blissey. Yanmega also lures some of its most common checks in Tentacruel and Doublade.

In-Depth

Yanmega @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain
- U-turn

The star of the show, Specs Yanmega is obviously the Pokemon I decided to build around. In the rare occurrence that Yanmega sees usage, people usually opt for Speed Boost and use it as a late-game cleaner. With Choice Specs, Yanmega acts as a wallbreaker, and I often lead with it to start chunking unsuspecting defensive cores from the get go. With many of Aerodactyl, Celebi, and Cobalion's checks resisting bug and not initially fearing Yanmega, it is perfect for luring them early on and doing as much damage as possible. The moveset is nothing special, just the standard four. Bug Buzz nukes everything and I hardly click anything else. Air Slash hits Fighting-types, specifically Conkeldurr, for huge damage. Giga Drain isn't used a whole lot though it is nice to OHKO a Swampert or dent a Suicune harder if need be. U-turn is used exclusively when predicting menacing special walls such as Blissey, Snorlax, or full health Cleric Sylveon to come in, as they take can take any hit comfortably and heal up. The biggest issue with Yanmega is its longevity when Stealth Rock is on the field, which is the main reason I mainly utilize it early-game and punch as many holes as possible.
252 SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Mega Aggron: 186-222 (54 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 200 SpD Mega Steelix: 174-204 (49.1 - 57.6%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Aerodactyl: 210-250 (69.7 - 83%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega Air Slash vs. 240 HP / 16 SpD Eviolite Doublade: 192-228 (60.1 - 71.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel: 174-204 (48.1 - 56.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Bronzong: 133-157 (39.3 - 46.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sylveon: 162-192 (41.1 - 48.7%) -- 10.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Celebi @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Nasty Plot

The first Pokemon I chose to abuse Yanmega's wallbreaking prowess is Nasty Plot Celebi. Celebi serves as the team's primary answer to the many bulky Water-types of the UU tier, which are especially threatening to Mega Aerodactyl sweeps late-game. With Yanmega chunking bulky Steel-types early-game, it frees up Celebi in the mid to late-game to either punch more holes for Aerodactyl or sweep on its own. Dual STAB moves are a given on Nasty Plot Celebi while the fourth move is generally up in the air and can be tailored to fit the weaknesses of the team. With Hydreigon being a gigantic threat, I decided on Dazzling Gleam in the final slot. Leftovers is generally the most common item on Nasty Plot Celebi, though on this team, Colbur Berry seemed like the best option. While not particularly weak to them, I found the team largely struggled in switching into Fighting-types carrying Knock Off such as Conkeldurr and Machamp, as Gligar cannot afford to lose its item the vast majority of the time.

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Roost

Mega Aerodactyl is simply one of the best Mega Pokemon, revenge killers, and cleaners the UU tier has to offer. On this particular team, it greatly appreciates Yanmega and Celebi's ability to wear down its primary checks in bulky Steel and Water-types respectively early on in the game for it to potentially clean up later on. This thing is straight up ridiculous when given the right support as opposed to just being thrown onto a team. The moveset, again, is really simple. Stone Edge and Aerial Ace are its best STAB moves and have the largest damage output of any viable attack in its arsenal. Earthquake primarily picks off weakened Steel-types and has overall great coverage in conjunction with Stone Edge. Finally, I opted for Roost in the last slot taking into consideration how weak the rest of the team is to offensive Flying-types such as Sky Plate Crobat, Tornadus, and Moltres. Overall, Aerodactyl's primary uses are revenge killing when need be, checking Flying-types, and sweeping late game when the opportunity presents itself.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin

Given how weak the first three Pokemon I started with are to entry hazards, it was only fitting that my next slot would help address this issue. Tentacruel is the most reliable spinner in the tier bar none and boasts a lot of other utility as well. Tentacruel serves as the team's primary check to Fairies and offensive Fire-types (Entei is broken) while also helping to pressure opposing teams with Toxic Spikes. Ordinarily, in this meta I would run a good amount of speed to catch Pokemon such as Mamoswine and Chandelure by surprise, but given how weak the team is to Choice Band Entei and Infernape, I had no choice but to fully invest in HP and Defense. Most defensive Tentacruel run Scald, Rapid Spin, Toxic Spikes, and either Acid Spray or Haze. I tried both and neither seemed all too beneficial. The team is fine against Suicune and Snorlax so Acid Spray isn't particularly useful and the setup sweepers the team is weak to aren't threatened by Tentacruel even when carrying Haze. I tested out Knock Off and overall liked the end result. It allows Tentacruel to get rid of the Leftovers or Black Sludge of bulkier mons' to help the rest of the team in whittling them down for a sweeper late-game. The team choice itself may seem a bit boring but Tentacruel's role on the team is 100% necessary for the team to succeed overall.

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Roost
- Stealth Rock

Here's where the teambuilding process hit a few bumps. On paper I struggled against a considerable amount of individual Pokemon. Up to this point, the team was ridiculously weak to Electric-types, Calm Mind Cresselia, Hone Claws Aerodactyl, Hydreigon, etc. Specially defensive Toxic Gligar was the best option I found in blanket checking most of them while also providing the much needed Stealth Rock in order to whittle opposing teams. The first three moveslots are as standard as could be, consisting of Earthquake, Roost, and Stealth Rock. Initially I had U-turn on Gligar and Toxic on Tentacruel in its fourth slot but after further testing, I came to the conclusion that Toxic was absolutely crucial in order to further pressure things like Aerodactyl, Hydreigon, defensive Sylveon, and Cresselia. While the team is still "weak" to a decent amount of threats, Sp Def Gligar was simply the best option in this slot and made many of these matchups playable.

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Swords Dance

In the last slot I ultimately decided upon Cobalion as it offered more speed, an additional soft check to Hydreigon and Aerodactyl, a good Knock Off switch in to compliment Gligar, and an alternate late game sweeper to Mega Aerodactyl and Celebi. Cobalion also serves as the team's only reliable way of beating Blissey and Curse Snorlax aside from Celebi setting up to +6 Special Attack and going from there. Between Yanmega and Celebi, Cobalion's primary checks in Tentacruel and Doublade are often taken care of at some point early on in the game, allowing Cobalion to put in work later on. I went with the usual dual STAB moves of Close Combat and Iron Head to go along with the ever-threatening Swords Dance. In the last slot I decided X-Scissor would be the most beneficial given the rest of the team's overall weakness to Celebi aside from Aerodactyl (Celebi's busted LOL). Shuca Berry is its item to better combat threats such as Mega Aerodactyl and Mamoswine. A solid addition to the team, Cobalion acts as another form of blanket checking many threatening Pokemon, while also offering sweeping potential here and there.

Conclusion
I hope you guys enjoyed the team. I had a lot of fun building and playing with it even though it is by no means perfect. There are a decent amount of things its "weak" to but pretty much any matchup is winnable if played well. Specs Yanmega is just a fun change of pace from the usual bog standard teams ORAS UU has evolved into with the drops of Sylveon, Conkeldurr, Celebi, the rise of Krookodile, etc, etc. Feel free to leave any suggestions down below. Thanks for reading!

Threatlist

Entei has no good switch in since Sacred Fire's a stupid move and Tentacruel gets 3HKO'd if it burned. Yanmega can do about 70-80% with Bug Buzz to free up the rest of the team in killing it but at full this thing is scary as hell.

Pretty much the same as Entei as in they can be picked off when weakened but at full the Nidos are an absolute nightmare to deal with.

Mega Blastoise has ridiculous coverage and can run rampant when at full HP just as Entei, Nidoqueen, and Nidoking can.

Hydreigon is a threat to pretty much any ORAS UU team with the right set and when played correctly. Choice Scarf variants aren't all too threatening but Hydreigon carrying Life Orb are scary as hell. Overall it's manageable as long as Gligar and Cobalion are healthy but can get out of hand really fast if they are not.

Sub DD Gyarados gets free subs on Gligar and Tentacruel and can proceed to sweep the team given the right opportunity. Though, Mega Aerodactyl can revenge it at +1 speed and Yanmega can KO with Bug Buzz after rocks and sub damage.

Replays
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-uu-216267 LTPL
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-477363171 vs. stall
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-477317565

Yanmega @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Giga Drain
- U-turn

Celebi @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Nasty Plot

Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Roost

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 232 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Knock Off
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Def / 244 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Roost
- Stealth Rock

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Swords Dance

Last edited:

Killintime

Time not so well spent
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
So I listening to the god J-cole, and was like...only way I can rate this team is if it plays in the background as I do so. So without further ado I looked at your team and was like --->UU...no fairy type???? pak, pak, pak my brotha I know you know better than this....dw thou I got you.
-------->

Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Encore
- U-turn

• Now I get this is your setup sweeper, but a little switching around is what ill be doing with your team in order to fix a few of these issues. Now adding I am sure you already know is just to deter broken dragon from dropping dracos on your family and kids, u-turn gives your yanmega some more opportunities to come in and drop a nuke with specs. Encore cleans up your gyara match up and prevent setup sweepers in general from trying to take advantage of you.
-Next up I really needed us to get past the whole nido problem as well as fix a hole I created in pressuring the opponent.
-------------->

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 188 HP / 144 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Return
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

• Now as much as I love sp.def gligar and you know I do, I really don't think it fits on your team. If you can't afford u-turn on gligar, you can't afford gligar that's my personal rule with this mon. By running lax we get a nido switch in, more mind games with dreigon, cress counters, entei switch in, and an overall way of pressuring opponents teams. heck if a toise isn't running sphere for some reason we also kill it in that regard.
-I got rid of rocks we need those ASAP:

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

• This quick fix offers you rocks over x-scissor since with u-turn/encore whimsi+aero I think your celebi match up will be about as good as it is now.
-A tad more pressure on celebi:

Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Roost

• With yanmega being the star of the show and us acquiring a fire resist stone edge isn't so important; with pursuit over edge we can trap crobat, celebi, chandelure, etc. Point is mons that were a pain in the ass for your specs bug buzz are always afraid to deal with the possibility the yanmega is just going to u-turn on their switch to x counter to yanmega.
-Final change:

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Def / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Haze / knock off
- Rapid Spin

• Your team really doesnt appreciate mamo, and while you do carry a one or two time switch in with coba you still really don't want to play around it for too long. So I gave you an alternate spread which out speeds base 84s and can do brutal damage to them or just pick them off preventing them from having too much fun. The haze prevent anything else from occurring that you might not be able to handle, but you honestly have whimsi so if you want to keep it as knock to aid your opposing empoleon match up go wild.
I still count my win versus your team as clean even thou I haxed the crap out of you just so you know =D peace and hope these changes help o/

Century Express

melodies of life
is a Tutoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Perhaps EP | Dazzling Gleam | Giga cover on Celebi and Pursuit over Roost on Aero? Kinda suboptimal, but i think it's the closest fix vs. Entei (and Doublade or Forry pivoting in a vacuum), esp b/c Mega Aero compensates the lack of Psychic removing Mega Bee and Crobat via trapping. I would consider a higher creep on Tentacruel, but your team actually wants +Def Full, (not because of Entei tbh), but to clutch in key scenarios vs. random Offenses w/Lucario or +6 Slurpuff. I've liked a lot how your team generates a strong momentum vs. bulkier squads, especially w/TSpikes + pivots + NP Celebi to overload the opponent's special wall | steel-type glues, although you need to play carefully vs. offensive-oriented squads, especially when Mega Aero is your main / only form of revenge killing stuff like Gyarados or RD Mega Pert using your Gligar or Cobalion as a fodder.

Lit squad overall, thanks for sharing it

So I listening to the god J-cole, and was like...only way I can rate this team is if it plays in the background as I do so. So without further ado I looked at your team and was like --->UU...no fairy type???? pak, pak, pak my brotha I know you know better than this....dw thou I got you.
-------->

Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Encore
- U-turn

• Now I get this is your setup sweeper, but a little switching around is what ill be doing with your team in order to fix a few of these issues. Now adding I am sure you already know is just to deter broken dragon from dropping dracos on your family and kids, u-turn gives your yanmega some more opportunities to come in and drop a nuke with specs. Encore cleans up your gyara match up and prevent setup sweepers in general from trying to take advantage of you.
-Next up I really needed us to get past the whole nido problem as well as fix a hole I created in pressuring the opponent.
-------------->

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 188 HP / 144 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Return
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

• Now as much as I love sp.def gligar and you know I do, I really don't think it fits on your team. If you can't afford u-turn on gligar, you can't afford gligar that's my personal rule with this mon. By running lax we get a nido switch in, more mind games with dreigon, cress counters, entei switch in, and an overall way of pressuring opponents teams. heck if a toise isn't running sphere for some reason we also kill it in that regard.
-I got rid of rocks we need those ASAP:

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Swords Dance

• This quick fix offers you rocks over x-scissor since with u-turn/encore whimsi+aero I think your celebi match up will be about as good as it is now.
-A tad more pressure on celebi:

Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Aerial Ace
- Earthquake
- Roost

• With yanmega being the star of the show and us acquiring a fire resist stone edge isn't so important; with pursuit over edge we can trap crobat, celebi, chandelure, etc. Point is mons that were a pain in the ass for your specs bug buzz are always afraid to deal with the possibility the yanmega is just going to u-turn on their switch to x counter to yanmega.
-Final change:

Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Def / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Haze / knock off
- Rapid Spin

• Your team really doesnt appreciate mamo, and while you do carry a one or two time switch in with coba you still really don't want to play around it for too long. So I gave you an alternate spread which out speeds base 84s and can do brutal damage to them or just pick them off preventing them from having too much fun. The haze prevent anything else from occurring that you might not be able to handle, but you honestly have whimsi so if you want to keep it as knock to aid your opposing empoleon match up go wild.
I still count my win versus your team as clean even thou I haxed the crap out of you just so you know =D peace and hope these changes help o/
So you added Whimsicott for literally no other reason than "hurr durr every uu team needs a fairy type"? He's got Cobalion, Spdef Gligar, Colbur Gleam Celebi, and Knock Off Tentacruel which all help with Hydreigon. Nah this team benefits from Celebi WAY more than Whimsicott, and if you look at the replay Pak posted where he faced stall, it's pretty clear that Whimsicott would leave the team unable to beat nearly any bulky team. Maybe Specs Whimsicott could be cool there to trick opposing Blisseys and Empoleon and stuff, but Celebi is still way easier to use and support in this slot. Additionally, removing Gligar means that any decently strong Fighting type like Lucario or Heracross pretty much gets a kill whenever it's in, especially with your Tentacruel set's decreased bulk. Even Scarf Mienshao essentially wins on its own as there's no priority to pick it off even if you somehow manage to whittle it with TSpikes. Replacing Gligar with another pokemon hard walled by Doublade also means that if Tentacruel doesn't burn it with Scald, it wins right there. I also don't like removing Stone Edge from Aero as it's the only answer to Flying types, and not being able to kill fat Crobat, Tornadus, and even fucking Moltres would easily come back to bite you if your opponent sees that you don't have edge.

Overall the team is really good as it is. One small change that could help is using Aqua Tail > EQ on Aerodactyl, which has a decent shot to OHKO most Nidoqueen (since most are fast enough for Mega Pert/Metagross), and is almost guaranteed after SR. It can also 2HKO Krookodile right there to prevent you from having to play around it, or from it getting rocks up. Downside is that you're walled by Empoleon, meaning you have to actively put much more pressure on it with Knock Tentacruel + Yanmega and stuff. You could also consider putting extra Spdef EVs into Aero from Attack to help stall out Sylveon better - seems like I've seen quite a few Majors and other games coming down to Roost Aero vs Sylveon. Really cool team!

Killintime

Time not so well spent
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
So you added Whimsicott for literally no other reason than "hurr durr every uu team needs a fairy type"? He's got Cobalion, Spdef Gligar, Colbur Gleam Celebi, and Knock Off Tentacruel which all help with Hydreigon. Nah this team benefits from Celebi WAY more than Whimsicott, and if you look at the replay Pak posted where he faced stall, it's pretty clear that Whimsicott would leave the team unable to beat nearly any bulky team. Maybe Specs Whimsicott could be cool there to trick opposing Blisseys and Empoleon and stuff, but Celebi is still way easier to use and support in this slot. Additionally, removing Gligar means that any decently strong Fighting type like Lucario or Heracross pretty much gets a kill whenever it's in, especially with your Tentacruel set's decreased bulk. Even Scarf Mienshao essentially wins on its own as there's no priority to pick it off even if you somehow manage to whittle it with TSpikes. Replacing Gligar with another pokemon hard walled by Doublade also means that if Tentacruel doesn't burn it with Scald, it wins right there. I also don't like removing Stone Edge from Aero as it's the only answer to Flying types, and not being able to kill fat Crobat, Tornadus, and even fucking Moltres would easily come back to bite you if your opponent sees that you don't have edge.

Overall the team is really good as it is. One small change that could help is using Aqua Tail > EQ on Aerodactyl, which has a decent shot to OHKO most Nidoqueen (since most are fast enough for Mega Pert/Metagross), and is almost guaranteed after SR. It can also 2HKO Krookodile right there to prevent you from having to play around it, or from it getting rocks up. Downside is that you're walled by Empoleon, meaning you have to actively put much more pressure on it with Knock Tentacruel + Yanmega and stuff. You could also consider putting extra Spdef EVs into Aero from Attack to help stall out Sylveon better - seems like I've seen quite a few Majors and other games coming down to Roost Aero vs Sylveon. Really cool team!
Yes dodmen, hurdurr fairy is definitely important when 2 of paks team members let it in for free and allow it to score a kill and or do severe crippling damage to his team, 1 mon is outsped by it, and meg aerodactyl can't even take it down in one hit. As I noticed you appear to have not read my rate as I said stone edge would only be lost if he is carrying snorlax on the team giving a decent matchup versus the fires. As for the crobat beating aerodatly? I dont know what in gods name crobat you are running but ace will always beat crobat unless you are some random toxic high defence set which in that case the man has a snorlax and cobalion to deal with it and worst case he can remove roost for edge. I have personally played versus his team and can tell you it doesnt appreciate chande/crobat having field days. His team isnt really meant for a long drawn out battle so while shao does have an annoying match up you can just opt to go for a stun spore whimsi which btw.....still checks shao about the same as celebi does.....its just a different mind game. I would rethink my rate and probably add stun spore over u-turn maybe but overall I still stand by the rate.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)