SM OU LICKILICKY TR

I am proud to present to you my greatest work.
LICKLICKY TR

I've always liked Trick Room as a playstyle; it's very anti-meta and you can run some whack mons and magically make it work. The team is surprisingly effective despite some seemingly odd choices, but I'll try to elaborate on those as I go over the team.

THE BREAKDOWN

I decided to build around Lickilicky since it has a very interesting movepool and with 110/95/95 bulk it can definitely take a few hits. Unfortunately its abysmal speed stat and rather underwhelming 85 atk keep it from being effective normally, but under TR this boy can claim some souls.

The Only God (Lickilicky) @ Normalium Z
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Explosion
- Hammer Arm / Earthquake
- Ice Punch

And here it is. The greatest of all TR sweepers, Lickilicky can come in on many weaker mons and set up a Swords Dance. Since nobody can grasp the true power of this monster, they never expect the Hammer Arm + Ice Punch coverage so expect to catch many Heatrans and Lando's off guard. Z-Explosion becomes a 200BP normal move which completely shreds through its "counters" and will often get you another kill. Z-boom + boom 2HKOs things like bulky Magearna or PhysDef Skarm (Keep in mind Z-Boom is 200 BP so explosion will do more):

+2 252+ Atk Lickilicky Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Magearna: 237-280 (67.5 - 79.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Lickilicky Breakneck Blitz (200 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 153-180 (45.9 - 54%) -- 48.4% chance to 2HKO

Naturally, Uxie made a great partner considering I had already decided to build TR. Uxie is arguably the best TR lead in the tier, being able to eat up essentially any move thrown at it and set up TR. Uxie also sets up rocks which allows Lickilicky to break more effectively and breaks sashes to save TR turns.

The Seer (Uxie) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Memento
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off

Pretty standard set. Uxie will be the lead most of the time: set up Trick Room (You can't be taunted so that'll be easy most of the time) and then decide wether you want rocks or a free setup for Licki. A more specially defensive spread might be valuable since gren may 2HKO and flinch you with Dark Pulse but generally I've found this to be more effective in walling things like Landorus.

Next up, Crawdaunt. Gen7 OU is incredibly fast right now and Crawdaunt is another mon which struggles to perform outside of TR due to its horrible speed stat. Under TR, however, it becomes a force to be reckoned with considering its 120 base Atk, Strong STABs and Adaptability. It can also muscle past most of it checks after one SD, and since it forces a lot of switches it gets to set up quite often.

The False Acolyte (Crawdaunt) @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance

Nothing special here. LO was chosen over CB in order to wallbreak more effectively or potentially sweep. Another reason I chose Crawdaunt was for its strong priority: Aqua jet makes for a nice revenge-killing tool when TR is down. SD on a predicted switch or after Uxie's Memento and spam the shit out of Crabhammer to shatter your opponent's walls.

Magearna is a staple on most TR teams, being able to wallbreak and sweep with its excellent coverage and Z-moves. However, Lickilicky already holds the Z-crystal for this team so I had to take a different approach. I decided that Magearna should be my primary TR setter since Uxie will usually be dead after setting once, and considering Magearna gets access to Volt Switch it works out pretty well.

The Heart (Magearna) @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Fleur Cannon
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Trick Room

Quite a weird set but definitely an effective one. People don't really expect Magearna to actually carry STABs and Fleur Cannon can still chunk unsuspecting Lando's and Finis, but it acts moreso as a pivot rather than a sweeper. A more specially defensive set may prove useful in beating Ash-Greninja, but the special attack investment helps in checking opposing Magearna's and allows Volt Switch to chip away at the opponent.

Bulu is an incredibly underrated TR sweeper and I hope this team might actually get it the attention it deserves. Since it doesn't have to run speed it becomes not only incredibly powerful with an Adamant nature, but it can also take a few hits. Bulu aids the rest of the team and it can lure Ferrothorn for Lickilicky to sweep (or vice-versa).

The Sacred Cow (Tapu Bulu) @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Brave Nature
- Wood Hammer
- Horn Leech
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

I decided to go with a band for sheer power. It's a pretty straightforward set otherwise: click woodhammer on almost everything, Superpower for Tran + Ferro and Edge for Volcarona. It requires some predicting but if played well Bulu can 6-0 teams.

Considering the offensive nature of this team it's not uncommon for your opponent to be unable to set up Stealth Rocks: therefore I decided I could get away with using Sash Hoopa-Unbound as my last TR-setter and as secondary check against setup sweepers.

The False Deity (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Trick Room

Even without a boosting item, Hoopa-U is a force to be reckoned with. It can 2-shot most mons with its great coverage options and since nobody expects the sash, is an excellent last resort vs a scary mon like Volcarona setting up in your face. Bring it in whenever TR is about to run out or has already ran out and your opponent is setting up; it's a guaranteed TR after which you will likely be able to revenge kill with another team member.

THREATS

Even a team with the unlimited power and capabilities of Lickilicky at its disposal has threats to worry about. Here's some notable ones:

Volcarona:
Volcarona is an extremely scary mon, and if it manages to set up while Trick Room isn't in effect you're unfortunately screwed. Lickilicky might tank a hit but your best bet is to play safe until SR chips it or you manage to get in Crawdaunt.

Z-Move Lando:
Similar story here: if Trick Room isn't up and rocks are it's basically over. Uxie can tank a hit and Memento but even then you're sacrificing your only switch into it, so again it boils down to playing around it cleverly.

Mega Mawile:
Other Trick Room teams, especially those featuring Mega Mawile give this team a hard time as it struggles to switch into strong physical moves.

There's quite a few other threats (such as Zygarde) but they are much more manageable since most of the time you can get up TR versus them and pivot out into some way of dealing with them.

IMPORTABLE VERSION:

https://pastebin.com/Ptuv8QNQ

I hope you'll be able to have fun with this team; I most certainly do. I'd brag about my ladder accomplishments but I don't really like laddering at all. I can safely say that this team isn't complete garbage and will probably get you a few W's. Any suggestions are welcome, of course, and I hope you'll have a nice day :]

That's a pretty great Trick Room team!
However, how are you able to deal with a Vikawak Offensive TR core? I am using a Trick Room team too (although I lurk currently in the lower ladders) And both can outslow your 'mons. Although Crawdaunt can theoretically kill A-Marowak, I highly doubt it can survive Vikavolt...
Also, I suggest replacing Horn Leech on Bulu with Smart Strike especially when you have to deal with other Bulus and check M-Mawile. Although additional health is nice... you may need it to hit M-Mawile on an expected switch-in.

Also, side note: Let's admit it. Without Magearna, Trick Room would not be as a viable anti-Meta strat as it is now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)