LC Combos Thread

So this is just another combos thread, but this time it's for LC.

The purposes of this thread are to: 1) Promote discussion, which is definitely lacking at the moment. 2) Make it easier for new players to get into LC.

(most of these were c/p'd from this thread with a few minor changes)
defensive combinations - 2 Pokemon that use type resistances or general defensive stats (or both) to help switch into each other's threatening pokemon's attacks. Examples for type would be Houndour and Gastly, because they both resist or are immune to each others weaknesses (with the exception of Houndour's water weakness). Note I specifically used to offensively inclined pokemon to demonstrate this has to do with switching into attacks; offensive pokemon can be partners in defensive combinations. Examples for general defensive stats would be Munchlax and Koffing; while they don't cover each other's type weaknesses, 1 covers the physical spectrum very well while the other covers the special spectrum.

offensive combinations - 2 Pokemon whose attacks cover what the other cannot defeat. An example would be a Choice Scarf Gilgar with a set of EQ / Aqua tail / Stone Edge / U-turn an a mix LO Houndour with a set of Fire Blast / Dark Pulse / Sucker Punch / Substitute. 2 of Gligar's main counters are Snover and Bronzor, so for the first turn Gligar can simply U-turn to Houndour, thus instantly threatening to KO their Gligar counter. Gligar can also KO Houndour checks such as Mantyke and Chinchou..

both offensive and defensive - 2 Pokemon that both cover each other's defenses well and beat what the other has difficulty with. An example would be Munchlax and Gastly; they have good immunites for switching between them, such as Gastly being immune to fighting and Munchlax being immune to ghost. Munchlax can also dispose of Ghost-types that can threaten Gastly's sweep with Pursuit, as well as being able to deal with Houndour, a Gastly counter.

strategic - 2 Pokemon (or concepts) who work together, not necessarily through typing or offensively benefits, to accomplish some goal. An example of this would be Dual Screen Bronzor (or any dual screener) and Krabby. Krabby can easily get an Agility or possibly even a Swords Dance when behind screens and still be at relatively high health to sweep a team clean.

Example:

Mantyke @ Oran Berry and Modest / Timid, Agility / Hydro Pump / Ice Beam / Hidden Power Flying + Chinchou @ Oran Berry and Modest, Agility / Thunderbolt / Hydro Pump / Hidden Power Grass

offensive and defensive

This combination takes advantage of abusing the other Pokemon's immunities to the others weakness to get a free turn to set up and sweep. Chinchou lures out Ground-type attacks very well and this can provide a turn for Mantyke to switch in and set up, possibly on a Gligar, Bronzor, or Cranidos. Vise versa, Mantyke is a lure for Electric-type attacks that Chinchou can switch in on and heal up in the process. Chinchou can then Agility up on possibly an Elekid or Magby, two common users of Electric-type attacks.

Nice, just this afternoon, I was wonding if a LC Combo thread would be made. Here is a combo I like.

Chikorita@ Oran Berry/ Light Clay
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 118 HP/ 236 DEF/ 156 SPD
Nature: Calm
-Light Screen
-Reflect
-Leaf Storm
-Role Play

Totodile@ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 36 HP/ 236 ATK/ 4 DEF/ 52 SPD/ 172 SPE
Nature: Jolly
-Swords Dance
-Aqua Jet
-Return
-Ice Punch

In terms of Synergy, Totodile resists Ice and Fire, which Chikorita is weak to, while Chikorita resits Grass and Electric, which totodile is weak too. SD Totodile appreciates screens, but instead of Bronzor, I discovered that Chikorita works very well. (not to mention that they are both Johto Starter pokemon =) Role Play is a cool move which copies the opponent's ability (Natu is the only other Little cup pokemon to learn it)

Alright, here's one I like with my TR team... seems to work decently.

Slowpoke @ Oran
Relaxed Nature, Own Tempo
196 HP / 76 Atk / 236 Def (0 Spe IVs)
- Trick Room
- Aqua Tail
- Zen Headbutt
- Slack Off

Trapinch @ Life Orb
Brave Nature, Arena Trap
196 HP / 156 Def / 156 SDef (0 HP / 0 Spe IVs)
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Quick Attack
- Bug Bite / Rock Slide

Somewhat offensive-defensive mixed, although both are weak to Grass (I run Bronzor with these two to handle that, but that's another story) and strategic. Slowpoke, the defensive monster, sets up Trick Room for Trapinch while luring Electric attacks that Trapinch can switch in on. With Trick Room in play, Trapinch is all but guaranteed to outspeed and KO, since Arena Trap prevents the foe from switching.

There are a few defensive holes with it, like the fact that both are weak to Grass, and Trapinch is fragile and does not resist Dark and Ghost, but it works reasonably well.

Mantyke @ Oran Berry and [Modest / Timid], Agility / Hydro Pump / Ice Beam / Hidden Power Grass + Geodude @ [Oran Berry/Life Orb] and Adamant, Rock Polish / Stone Edge / Earthquake / [Explosion/Fire Punch]

Offensive and Defensive

The same idea. Mantyke switches in on Water (suck it, chinchy) and ground attacks and sets up, while Geodude takes Rock and Electric attacks and sets up. Geodude's Defense and Mantyke's Special Defense are good even with minimal investment. There are some problems with Bronzor, but repeated Hydro Pumps can kill it, and a LO Stone Edge on the switch followed by a Fire Punch does it in.

Mantyke has so many awesome teammates, it's ridiculous. Awesome poke. Magnemite is another one, resisting every type in the game, but Chinchou is problematic. Aron has the same problems.

Zari

What impossible odds?
is a Contributor Alumnus
I've been toying around with an odd combo that is both offensive and defensive as well as somewhat supportive:

Bronzor @ Oran Berry
[Relaxed/Sassy], Levitate
4 Atk / 228 Def / 4 SpA / 228 SpD

Stealth Rock
Trick
Psychic / Hidden Power Ice
Earthquake / Hidden Power Ice

and

Dratini @ Life Orb
[Hasty], Shed Skin
244 Atk / 36 SpA / 196 Spe

Outrage
Draco Meteor
Dragon Dance
ExtremeSpeed

---
Basically what this combination does is soften the opposing team while providing support at the same time. Bronzor can switch in easily on ice and dragon moves aimed at dratini, and proceed to set up SR or another support move, such as screens. Likewise, Dratini can switch in on fire moves aimed at Bronzor and punch holes in the opposing team.

Trick is in bronzor's moveset for survivability; it lets you steal opposing pokemon's oran berries for more free health / steal a boosting item before going down (to limit a sweep). Both defenses are maximized to take full advantage of stealing oran berries via trick.

Most often when people see dratini they will switch in a physical wall/scarfer that would outspeed dratini after a DD. I usually launch off a draco meteor then go directly back to bronzor--chances are after taking a LO boosted DM most pokes can be picked off by bronzor.

Hidden Power Ice is only on Bronzor's moveset because of Gligar, which Dratini has trouble with if it doesn't have a DD under its belt. Only use HP Ice if you don't have some sort of check for Gligar on your team already.

I have always wanted to use Onix, and this is what I have come up with:

Chikorita @ Light Clay
Bold
196 HP/196 Def/112 Sp.Def
~Reflect
~Light Screen
~Synthesis
~Leaf Storm

and

Onix@ Life Orb
196 Atk/196 HP/112 Sp.Def
Adamant
~Rock Polish
~Stone Edge
~Earthquake
~Explosion/Curse?

Believe it or not but Onix is actually pretty fast for a 5 tonne lump of volcanic rock, it just polishes it self, and recieves Double STAB from SE and EQ, Explosion is for a quick way out.
Chikorita has good synergy with Onix, and can set up screens to stop its hindeing Sp.Def

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Gligar @ Oran Berry
Sand Veil / Hyper Cutter
236 HP/236 Atk
Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
Earthquake
Aqua Tail / Stone Edge
Roost / Night Slash / Stone Edge
Rock Polish

+

Aron @ Life Orb / Oran Berry
Rock Head
36 HP / 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
Head Smash
Earthquake
Rock Polish
Magnet Rise

Many teams are incredibly weak to extremely fast sweepers in Little Cup, because they often rely on Choice Scarf users to check threats. Using Aron and Gligar together takes advantage of this, and the two have excellent synergy - with Magnet Rise, Aron can set up on Bronzor as well as potential revenge-killers to Gligar such Eevee and Meowth. Gligar can in turn get a Polish in on Aron's most prominent check, Croagunk, as well as being able to set on Choiced Ground- and Fighting-type moves from the likes of Mankey and opposing Gligar. The sand scorpion can also take advantage if the opponent traps and kills a weakened Aron with Scarf Magnemite.

Oran is generally the best item for Gligar, taking advantage of its fantastic bulk with HP investment and allowing it to reliably beat other Gligar, which would otherwise cause problems to both sides of the combination. Aron, however, generally finds itself either being OHKOd or taking minimal damage; moreover, it really appreciates the 30% power boost from Life Orb.

Sadly, the two share a Water weakness - Mantyke and Chinchou are both excellent offensive threats that sport a resistance. Wynaut is also a good partner which can generate setup opportunities. Duskull can wall Gligar unless it carries Night Slash, can survive Head Smashes from Aron, and threatens both with a burn. Fire-types are not good partners to the combo as the triple weakness to Water is inadvisable - strong special sweepers that do not mind being Will-o-Wisped are generally better. The aforementioned Mantyke and Chinchou can both do reasonable jobs of switching in to take a burn before proceeding to wreak havoc.

More combinations coming soon.

From my playing experience, I've noticed that the only teams of mine that had any reasonable success used a Bronzor/Gligar/Clamperl core.

Bronzor @ Oran Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 220 HP/8 Atk/232 Def/12 Spd/8 SAtk
Sassy nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Stealth Rock
- Flash Cannon

Clamperl (M) @ Deepseascale
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 236 HP/76 Def/20 Spd/8 SAtk/156 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Hidden Power Electric
- Surf
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Gligar (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 236 Atk/236 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Stone Edge
- Aqua Tail

So yeah, a decent offense coupled with awesome defensive power. Combined they cancel each other's weaknesses. Probably only has trouble with fast stuff with BoltBeam or an equivalent. Bronzor can be whatever flavor of the month Bronzor you want. That one is from my ex-#1 team.

Though, 3 guys for a combo might be too much.

This thread needs a bump

Machop @ Choice Scarf and Jolly, Dynamicpunch / Payback / Ice Punch / Bullet Punch + Stunky @ Oran Berry and Brave, Pursuit / Sucker Punch / Explosion / Hidden Power Ground

offensive

This is a very easy combo to play with the basic idea being Machop spams Dynamicpunch all day and whenever the opponent decides to switch a ghost in, you go right to stunky to trap and kill them. This combo can also work with Munchlax replacing stunky as the ghost killer. This combo used to be more effective with missy around, but it can still work today.

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
That combo is even more effective post-Missy, actually - Gastly is much easier to Pursuit-trap and if they don't have a Ghost, they lose.

I think Munchlax is much better in that combo now. I've used both, and while Stunky had the advantage of beating SubWoW Missy, it doesn't have that any more. Munchlax is so much bulkier, it hits a lot harder, and it checks <special attacker>.

SkyNet

MediEvil!
This is a very easy combo to play with the basic idea being Machop spams Dynamicpunch all day and whenever the opponent decides to switch a ghost in, you go right to stunky to trap and kill them. This combo can also work with Munchlax replacing stunky as the ghost killer. This combo used to be more effective with missy around, but it can still work today.
I've actually been using a very simple team on PO which has been using the ghost trapper + Fighters combo; Stunky/ScarfMankey/ScarfMachop. To my surprise its been working nicely.

askaninjask

[FLAIL ARMS]
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Wynaut @ Oran Berry, Encore / Counter / Mirror Coat / Destiny Bond + Aron @ Life Orb / Oran Berry, Rock Polish / Head Smash / Iron Head / Earthquake

Strategic combo.

Aron has a great attack stat, and a great movepool, but bad typing. Aron's typing leaves it open to Croagunk's Vacuum Wave, and other super effective priority (like Aqua Jet) as well. Wynaut takes very little from most of Croagunk's moves, and doesn't take very much from any priority attack that's going to be coming its way. Once Wynaut is done trapping and killing whatever priority user your opponent had on their team, Aron is free to rule.

The other way people stop Aron is by using Bronzor, but that's easily stopped by Wynaut as well (since Wynaut outspeeds Bronzor, it can just use Encore).

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Rock Polish Aron should have Magnet Rise > Iron Head, because it doesn't hit anything notable and it's cool to be able to set up on Munchlax and Bronzor.

Wynaut should probably have Tickle > Destiny Bond. Realistically, you're not going to be Bonding anything.

I got to the top of the ladder with Munchlax / Scarf Mankey / Scarf Machop, but I eventually switched Mankey for Croagunk because I didn't have enough priority.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Horsea @ LO, Hydro Pump, HP Electric, Ice Beam, Rain Dance + Omanyte @ Chople Berry, Surf, Ancient Power, Earth Power

Omanyte lures out common threats to horsea like Croagunk and Snover and eliminates them. Horsea then sweeps through the rest of the team.

Best used if Rain is already on the field.

Omanyte only has 3 moves.

And how does it beat Snover?

@ Below: I think it's outsped and OHKOed by a Wood Hammer/Energy Ball. Hail gets rid of rain.

A pair that works well on my Little Cup team I tend to think is:

Note this almost all the time in a Rain Dance team.

Buizel @Life Orb Bulk Up/ Aqua Jet/ Waterfall/ Return

Chinchou @Oran Berry Hydro Pump/Thunder/ Rain Dance/ Ice Beam

Koffing @Damp Rock Explosion/Rain Dance/Sludge Bomb/ Thunder

This combo always works for me in the rain. To revenge kill Buizel, I get sent fast pokemon with thunderbolt that ohko buizel, so I switch out to Chinchou, who gets a free switch, is almost always guaranteed a Super powerful Hydro Pump and Thunder, OHKOing almost everything in the metagame. Hydro Pump is generally used in case a ground type tries to switch in to it. However, when an EQ user comes in, a simple switch in to levitate koffing koffin nulifies it, and so the cycle continues.....

This has caused me great success on shoddy

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
MunchSkull or DuskMunch or Dusklax... w/e

Munchlax (M) @ Oran Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 236 Atk/116 Def/156 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Body Slam/Return
- Pursuit/Ice Punch
- Earthquake/Ice Punch
- Fire Punch/Ice Punch

Duskull (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 196 HP/116 Atk/196 Def
Impish nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Will-o-wisp
- Pain Split
- Shadow Sneak
- Return

Munchlax is the undisputed best special wall in the game. It dishes out hits like no other, and takes them back really well too. Its main issue are fighters who have no issue outspeeding and ohkoing it. This is helped by the best fighting counter in little cup, as Duskull can switch into the fighters, burn them, and stall them out with wisp and Pain Split. Munchlax handles Houndour, arguably the best counter for Duskull, with ease, switching in and killing Dour while a low powered revenge doesn't do that much to munchy.

The sets themselves are open to criticism, it's 1 AM and I'm tired but it's basically what's needed. Munchy has maxed attack to wreck the tier, STAB (Body Slam does 119 base damage on average compared to return's 102 due to being able to deal a second hit from paralysis... but this isn't the place for that debate), and your choice of Pursuit/EQ/Fire Punch/Ice Punch. Ice Punch is what I recommend leaving out of the set as Duskull handles Gligar fairly well... I think.

It's important to know that I haven't playtested this set. However, it's been used to great success against me, almost completely dismantling my team (which had a good month at least on the #1 spot without much effort put into laddering). Here's a log showing how well it does (it also happens to show off how awesomely epic subnosis Gastly is, but that's a totally seperate issue). In retrospect, there were some quetionable moves, but it's basically the way I play Little Cup (I use different philosophies for other tiers).

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause, Little Cup Clause
Nails sent out Machop (lvl 5 Machop).
Player 2 sent out Anorith (lvl 5 Anorith).
Anorith used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Machop used Dynamicpunch.
Anorith lost 86% of its health.
Anorith became confused!
Anorith's Oran Berry restored health!
Anorith restored 48% of its health.
---
Player 2 switched in Duskull (lvl 5 Duskull).
It doesn't affect Duskull...
---
Nails switched in Houndour (lvl 5 Houndour).
Pointed stones dug into Houndour.
Houndour lost 24% of its health.
Duskull used Will-o-wisp.
Houndour's Flash Fire raised its fire power!
---
Player 2 switched in Munchlax (lvl 5 Munchlax).
Houndour used Dark Pulse.
Munchlax lost 35% of its health.
Houndour lost 10% of its health.
---
Nails switched in Machop (lvl 5 Machop).
Pointed stones dug into Machop.
Machop lost 4% of its health.
Munchlax used Earthquake.
Machop lost 38% of its health.
---
It doesn't affect Duskull...
---
Player 2 switched in Anorith (lvl 5 Anorith).
Machop used Protect.
Machop protected itself!
---
Machop used Ice Punch.
A critical hit!
Duskull lost 67% of its health.
Duskull's Oran Berry restored health!
Duskull restored 48% of its health.
---
Nails switched in Houndour (lvl 5 Houndour).
Pointed stones dug into Houndour.
Houndour lost 24% of its health.
Duskull used Ice Beam.
It's not very effective...
Houndour lost 14% of its health.
---
Player 2 switched in Anorith (lvl 5 Anorith).
Houndour used Dark Pulse.
Anorith lost 62% of its health.
Player 2's Anorith fainted.
Houndour lost 10% of its health.
---
Player 2 switched in Chinchou (lvl 5 Chinchou).
Chinchou used Surf.
It's super effective!
Houndour lost 19% of its health.
Nails's Houndour fainted.
---
Nails switched in Munchlax (lvl 5 Munchlax).
Pointed stones dug into Munchlax.
Munchlax lost 10% of its health.
Munchlax used Ice Punch.
Duskull lost 33% of its health.
---
Duskull used Will-o-wisp.
Munchlax was burned!
Munchlax used Pursuit.
It's super effective!
Duskull lost 24% of its health.
Munchlax was hurt by its burn!
---
mighty metagross has entered the room.
Duskull used Pain Split.
Duskull restored 43% of its health.
Munchlax lost 33% of its health.
Munchlax's Oran Berry restored health!
Munchlax restored 33% of its health.
Munchlax used Pursuit.
It's super effective!
---
Duskull used Ice Beam.
Munchlax lost 7% of its health.
Munchlax used Pursuit.
It's super effective!
---
Duskull used Pain Split.
Duskull restored 29% of its health.
Munchlax lost 20% of its health.
Munchlax used Pursuit.
It's super effective!
---
Duskull used Ice Beam.
Munchlax used Pursuit.
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Player 2's Duskull fainted.
---
Player 2 switched in Dratini (lvl 5 Dratini).
Nails: i freakin hate duskull
mighty metagross has left the room.
Dratini used Dragon Dance.
Dratini's attack was raised.
Dratini's speed was raised.
Munchlax used Body Slam.
Dratini lost 48% of its health.
Nails's Munchlax fainted.
---
Nails switched in Chinchou (lvl 5 Chinchou).
Pointed stones dug into Chinchou.
Chinchou lost 12% of its health.
Darkamber8828 has entered the room.
Nails: his tini is +1 dd'ed
Dratini used Extremespeed.
Chinchou lost 87% of its health.
Nails's Chinchou fainted.
Dratini lost 10% of its health.
---
Darkamber8828: that can't be good
Nails switched in Dratini (lvl 5 Dratini).
Pointed stones dug into Dratini.
Dratini lost 10% of its health.
Dratini lost 43% of its health.
Player 2's Dratini fainted.
---
Player 2 switched in Chinchou (lvl 5 Chinchou).
Chinchou lost 37% of its health.
Chinchou used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Dratini lost 90% of its health.
Nails's Dratini fainted.
Dratini's Oran Berry restored health!
---
Darkamber8828: naaaaails
Darkamber8828: why are you losing
Nails: because his duskull ate my munchy
Darkamber8828: duskull?
Darkamber8828: beat munchy?
Nails: yep
Darkamber8828: is that possible?
Nails: wisp split
Darkamber8828: ...damn
Nails: and
Nails: rocks are up
Nails: so houndour couldn't really do much
Nails switched in Gastly (lvl 5 Gastly ?).
Pointed stones dug into Gastly.
Gastly lost 10% of its health.
Player 2 switched in Munchlax (lvl 5 Munchlax ?).
Gastly used Shadow Ball.
It doesn't affect Munchlax...
Gastly's leftovers restored its health a little!
Gastly restored 5% of its health.
---
Gastly used Hypnosis.
Gastly's attack missed!
Munchlax used Pursuit.
It's super effective!
Gastly lost 65% of its health.
---
Gastly used Hypnosis.
Munchlax fell asleep!
Munchlax is fast asleep!
---
Gastly used Substitute.
Gastly lost 25% of its health.
Gastly made a substitute!
Munchlax is fast asleep!
---
Gastly used Hidden Power.
It's super effective!
Munchlax lost 35% of its health.
Munchlax's Oran Berry restored health!
Munchlax restored 32% of its health.
Munchlax is fast asleep!
---
It's super effective!
Munchlax lost 42% of its health.
Munchlax is fast asleep!
---
Player 2 switched in Wynaut (lvl 5 Wynaut ?).
It's not very effective...
Wynaut lost 15% of its health.
---
Gastly used Shadow Ball.
It's super effective!
Wynaut lost 85% of its health.
Player 2's Wynaut fainted.
Wynaut's Oran Berry restored health!
---
Player 2 switched in Chinchou (lvl 5 Chinchou ?).
Chinchou used Surf.
The substitute took damage for Gastly!
Gastly's substitute faded!
Gastly used Shadow Ball.
Chinchou lost 62% of its health.
Player 2's Chinchou fainted.
---
Nails wins!

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
MunchSkull + three special attackers + lead works really, really well. Duskull also happens to completely dismantle standard Bronzor/Munchlax/Gastly/Croagunk/Gligar/Machop (those are the top 6 pokes used on PO; I've been playing too much).

Sets are pretty spot-on - obviously Munchlax's spread is always open to debate - but Lax should run Return/EQ/Pursuit/Fire Punch. There's no point slashing Ice Punch for Gligar, especially when it's easily handled by Duskull.

Why would you use any other name when you can call the core MunchSkull?

Munchskull reminded me of a combo I've used before

Munchlax @ Oran and Sassy/Careful, Body Slam / EQ / Pursuit / Protect + Koffing @ Oran and Bold, WoW / Fire Blast / Sludge Bomb / Pain Split or Explosion

Pretty much the same as munchskull, except imo Koffing does the job much more effectively thanks to 2 points higher in both HP and Defense. Munchlax should be running a specially defensive spread (obviously) and it can afford not to run Fire or Ice Punch thanks to Koffing having fire blast and being able to beat Gligar. Koffing has more powerful moves than duskull and gets access to Explosion too!

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Koffing's good, but it doesn't take on Machop as effectively, and it definitely isn't as good at dealing with Munchlax.

Munchlax should use Adamant. Always.

Koffing's good, but it doesn't take on Machop as effectively, and it definitely isn't as good at dealing with Munchlax.
While Koffing is not immune DynamicPunch it still takes ~dick (like 15% iirc) and it still isn't slammed by a 200 BP payback if Machop decides to predict (which is pretty low risk if Munch and Duskull keep switching back and forth from each other). Not to mention it can hit harder back. Also I'll admit it can't take of munchlax as effectively but here is a list of Pokemon that it can: Gligar, Buizel, Croagunk, Diglett, Duskull, Totodile, Mankey (debatable), Aron, Paras etc.

Munchlax should use Adamant. Always.
I don't it should on this set when the #1 priority is to be able to take special attacks. Could you maybe give some reasoning?

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Pursuit vs 36 HP Gastly:
236 Adamant Munchlax: 60% - 80% (no OHKO, may fail to 2HKO with Oran)
0 Atk Neutral Munchlax: 50% - 70%

Yeah, it sucks to not KO it even after a couple of rounds of LO damage, doesn't it.

Return Vs 28 HP Dratini
236 Adamant Munchlax: 90.5% - 114.3% (OHKO with SR, decent chance without SR)
0 Atk Neutral Munchlax: 76.2% - 90.5% (low chance of OHKO with SR)

Not OHKOing the most threatening sweeper since Gen I Mewtwo is pretty bad.

Return Vs 36 Def Munchlax:
236 Adamant Munchlax: 63.3% - 80% (Probable 2HKO through Oran)
0 Atk Neutral Munchlax: 53.3% - 63.3% (3HKO through Oran)

This is pretty big, especially if you're using Koffing.

Return Vs 0/0 Staryu:
236 Adamant Munchlax: 84.2% - 110.5% (good chance of OHKO with SR, some without)
0 Atk Neutral Munchlax: 78.9% - 94.7% (fairly low chance of OHKO with SR)

Staryu is the kind of frail thing it sucks to take two hits from because you missed the KO.

Return Vs 116/0 Mankey:
236 Adamant Munchlax: 95.5% - 113.6% (KO with SR, good chance without)
0 Atk Neutral Munchlax: 72.7% - 95.5% (very unlikely with SR, no chance without)

Again, 236 Adamant gets a lot of KOs on semi-frail pokes.

Earthquake Vs 0/0 Chinchou:
236 Adamant Munchlax: 129.9% - 153.3% (Yay)
0 Atk Neutral Munchlax: 90.7% - 107.2% (Chance without SR, guaranteed with)

Basically, Munchlax needs the attack to secure a lot of OHKOs. It's at the right Attack range where the power makes a massive difference (which is part of the reason Body Slam isn't standard).

Pursuit vs 36 HP Gastly:
252 Adamant Munchlax: 60% - 80% (no OHKO, may fail to 2HKO with Oran)
0 Atk Neutral Munchlax: 50% - 70%

Yeah, it sucks to not KO it even after a couple of rounds of LO damage, doesn't it.
I don't see how this is a win for 252 Adamant, you are 2HKOing no matter what.

Return Vs 28 HP Dratini
252 Adamant Munchlax: 90.5% - 114.3% (OHKO with SR, decent chance without SR)
0 Atk Neutral Munchlax: 76.2% - 90.5% (low chance of OHKO with SR)

Not OHKOing the most threatening sweeper since Gen I Mewtwo is pretty bad.
Why are you fighting Dratini with Munchlax?

Return Vs 36 Def Munchlax:
252 Adamant Munchlax: 63.3% - 80% (Probable 2HKO through Oran)
0 Atk Neutral Munchlax: 53.3% - 63.3% (3HKO through Oran)

This is pretty big, especially if you're using Koffing.
See above, and before you say that Koffing can't beat Munchlax, Koffing has WoW, Pain Split/Explosion, and a 90 bp stab move off of a decent special attack.

Return Vs 0/0 Staryu:
252 Adamant Munchlax: 84.2% - 110.5% (good chance of OHKO with SR, some without)
0 Atk Neutral Munchlax: 78.9% - 94.7% (fairly low chance of OHKO with SR)

Staryu is the kind of frail thing it sucks to take two hits from because you missed the KO.
Staryu runs life orb 70% of the time so it should always KO after an attack and SR and if Staryu is not running LO then Hydro Pump won't be hurting too bad.

Return Vs 116/0 Mankey:
252 Adamant Munchlax: 95.5% - 113.6% (KO with SR, good chance without)
0 Atk Neutral Munchlax: 72.7% - 95.5% (very unlikely with SR, no chance without)

Again, 252 Adamant gets a lot of KOs on semi-frail pokes.
See Dratini

Earthquake Vs 0/0 Chinchou:
252 Adamant Munchlax: 129.9% - 153.3% (Yay)
0 Atk Neutral Munchlax: 90.7% - 107.2% (Chance without SR, guaranteed with)
This is really not a win for 252 adamant at all Koffing an Munchlax is a type of combo that should always be run with entry hazards.

Basically, Munchlax needs the attack to secure a lot of OHKOs. It's at the right Attack range where the power makes a massive difference (which is part of the reason Body Slam isn't standard).
Body Slam is very up for debate but I find the 30% paralysis rate truly awesome in such as speed centered metagame as lc.

edit: I'll give defensive calc for the 2 spreads later

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)