Doubles Landorus

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion

i actually have no puns for this one (taken over from BlueSkiddo)

[OVERVIEW]
Though often overshadowed by its Therian counterpart, Incarnate Landorus is a considerable force in its own right, easily dealing with common Steel- and Fire-types courtesy of its iconically powerful Sheer Force-backed Earth Power, which is notably unaffected by both Grassy Terrain and Wide Guard, two huge problems to most Earthquake users. However, it still faces competition from special Landorus-T for a team slot; though Landorus hits much harder, it lacks the Therian forme's key selling point of Intimidate. Perhaps precisely because it lacks Intimidate, Landorus is also heavily threatened by opposing speed control and even faster foes, which can take advantage of its relative lack of bulk to quickly KO it. Landorus is also hurt by the ubiquity of Ice-type coverage attacks, a consequence of the high usage of Mega Salamence, Zygarde, and Landorus-T.

[SET]
name: Life Orb Attacker
move 1: Earth Power
move 2: Sludge Bomb / Rock Slide
move 3: Hidden Power Ice
move 4: Protect
item: Life Orb
ability: Sheer Force
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Earth Power is Landorus's claim to fame: backed by a Life Orb and Sheer Force, it can deal huge amounts of damage, OHKOing many common threats such as Tapu Koko, Aegislash, and Shuca Berry Heatran and 2HKOing a large number of bulkier threats such as Tapu Fini and Milotic. Sludge Bomb, also backed by Sheer Force and a Life Orb, deals with Fairy- and Grass-types such as Tapu Lele, Tapu Fini, and Tapu Bulu, though another option is Rock Slide, which has a chance to OHKO even bulky Mega Charizard Y. In the last of Landorus's attacking moveslots, Hidden Power Ice is a solid choice to allow Landorus to deal large amounts of damage to Mega Salamence, Landorus-T, and Zygarde. Finally, Protect keeps Landorus safe for the turn and helps it stall out opposing Tailwind and Trick Room, which would otherwise pose a large threat to it.

Set Details
========
This set uses a Life Orb in tandem with Sheer Force to boost the power of Landorus's attacks with secondary effects, with the bonus of Sheer Force preventing recoil damage from the Life Orb. The given EV spread and nature maximize Landorus's Special Attack and Speed stats, allowing it to get the most damage out of Life Orb and Sheer Force and guaranteeing that it can outrun the denizens of the well-populated base 100 Speed tier. A Naive nature can be used if Landorus chooses to run Rock Slide in order to guarantee an OHKO on bulky versions of Mega Charizard Y.

Usage Tips
========
Although Landorus's high-powered attacks are very threatening, its Speed tier and lack of general bulk put it at risk when against faster foes. Landorus is best used either early-game, to put severe dents in bulky foes to clear the way for the rest of the team, or late-game, to clean up a match once major threats to it have been removed and many bulkier foes have been put into range to be KOed by Earth Power. Despite its typing lending it immunities to both Ground- and Electric-type attacks, Landorus should not be switched in during a turn, as its mediocre bulk puts it at risk of taking heavy hits from opposing attacks; instead, Landorus is best brought in after a partner has been KOed or off the back of a slow U-turn or Volt Switch. Landorus's quadruple weakness to Ice means that it must be wary even around the Electric-types it should beat, as such foes, including Tapu Koko and Zapdos, are often either immune to Earth Power, can outspeed it and OHKO it with Hidden Power Ice, or both. Zapdos can further worsen Landorus's standing on the field speed-wise by setting up a Tailwind. Indeed, opposing speed control greatly threatens Landorus, as it prefers to move first in order to deal with threats before they can damage it; therefore, one's own speed control is key in order to allow it to continuously exert pressure on the opponent.

Team Options
========
Steel-types such as Aegislash, Genesect, and Mega Metagross pair well with Landorus, appreciating its ability to beat Fire- and Steel-types with Earth Power while threatening Ice-types such as Kyurem-B for it. Fairy-types such as Tapu Lele also benefit from the removal of Fire- and Steel-types and can threaten Kyurem-B. Due to Landorus's glaring weakness to Water- and Ice-type attacks, it should be paired with one or more partners capable of switching into those, such as Tapu Fini or Milotic.

Another important aspect of Landorus's potential teammates is their access to speed control, which Landorus appreciates greatly in order to keep it moving before its threats, allowing it to get the most use out of its devastating Earth Powers. This speed control can come in several forms, such as Icy Wind and Tailwind; notable users of each include Icy Wind Milotic and Gengar and Tailwind Zapdos and Hydreigon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Though notorious for its inconsistency, Focus Blast makes for a decent attack on Landorus, allowing it to better deal with Snorlax and, to a lesser extent, Tyranitar, but if the team Landorus is on has no particular weakness to these two Pokemon, Earth Power is arguably sufficient for dealing with them. While it forgoes the significant damage boost from Life Orb, Choice Scarf can be used to alleviate Landorus's issues with its somewhat disappointing Speed tier and surprise opposing Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Mega Salamence by outrunning and OHKOing them with Hidden Power Ice.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Ice-types**: Ice-types hit Landorus for quadruple damage and can easily OHKO it, as it tends to hold neither a Yache Berry nor a Focus Sash. Furthermore, due to the ubiquity of Mega Salamence, Landorus-T, and Zygarde, Ice-type coverage is extremely common and not hard to fit onto most teams. Threatening Pokemon with STAB-boosted Ice-type moves include Weavile, Kyurem-B, and Alolan Ninetales, and threats such as Zapdos, Tapu Koko, and Mega Metagross commonly run Ice-type coverage in the form of Hidden Power Ice or Ice Punch.

**Water-types**: Landorus has little way to deal with bulky Water-types and gets OHKOed by most Water-type moves. Common Pokemon possessing STAB-boosted Water-type moves include Milotic and Tapu Fini as well as the common Swift Swim users Ludicolo, Kingdra, and Mega Swampert; the latter three are particular threats, as they are also able to outrun Landorus under rain, preventing it from even moving before being KOed.

**Tailwind and Trick Room**: Landorus's mediocre bulk leaves it wide open to being severely damaged by foes that it can't KO with Earth Power first. Opposing Tailwind and Trick Room remove what semblance of a speed advantage it had, greatly lessening its presence on the field.

**Faster Pokemon**: Landorus's frailty causes it to be threatened by any faster Pokemon that can hit it hard, including but not limited to Choice Scarf Genesect, Deoxys-A, and Mega Salamence.

Last edited:
Reactions: raf

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
damn son, take this 2/2

you still have shit taste in music and im letting the public know that you think the gza is trash

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
GP 1/2
[OVERVIEW]
Though often overshadowed by its Therian forme counterpart, Incarnate Landorus-I (for contrast purposes only; should be Landorus throughout, no Landorus-I) is a force to be dealt with in its own right, easily dealing with common Steel- and Fire-types courtesy of its iconically powerful Sheer Force-backed Earth Power, which notably ignores both Grassy Terrain and Wide Guard, two huge problems to most Earthquake users. However, even in this regard, it faces competition from special Landorus-T for the team slot; though Landorus-I Landorus hits much harder, it lacks the Therian forme's key selling point of Intimidate. Perhaps precisely because it lacks Intimidate, Landorus-I Landorus is also heavily threatened by opposing speed control and even faster foes, which can take advantage of its relative lack of bulk to pick up a quick KO on it. Landorus-I Landorus is also hurt by the ubiquity of Ice-type coverage attacks, a consequence of the high usage of Mega Salamence, Zygarde, and Landorus-T.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Earth Power is Landorus-I's Landorus's flagship product, its claim to fame: backed by a Life Orb and Sheer Force, Earth Power can deal huge amounts of damage, OHKOing many common threats such as Tapu Koko, Aegislash and Shuca Berry Heatran and 2HKOing a large number of bulkier threats such as Tapu Fini and Milotic. Sludge Bomb, also backed by Sheer Force and a Life Orb, deals with Fairy- and Grass-types such as Tapu Lele, Tapu Fini, (AC) and Tapu Bulu, though another option is Rock Slide, which with the same boosts (kinda redundant + sort of implies a condition when there's really none) has a chance to OHKO even bulky Mega Charizard Y. In the last of Landorus-I's Landorus's attacking slots, Hidden Power Ice is a solid choice to allow Landorus to deal large amounts of damage to Mega Salamence, Landorus-T, and Zygarde. Finally, Protect keeps Landorus-I Landorus safe for the turn and helps to stall out opposing Tailwind and Trick Room, which would otherwise pose a large threat to it.

Set Details
========
This set uses a Life Orb in tandem with Sheer Force to boost the power of Landorus's (straight apostrophe) attacks with secondary effects, with the added bonus of Sheer Force preventing recoil damage from the Life Orb. The given EV spread and nature maximize Landorus-I's Landorus's Special Attack and Speed stats, allowing it to get the most damage out of Life Orb and Sheer Force and guaranteeing that it can outrun the denizens of the well-populated base 100 Speed tier. A Naive nature can also be used if Landorus-I Landorus chooses to run Rock Slide in order to guarantee the OHKO on bulky versions of Mega Charizard Y.

Usage Tips
========
Although Landorus-I's Landorus's high-powered attacks are very threatening, its speed Speed tier and lack of general bulk put it at risk from faster foes. Landorus-I Landorus is best used either early-game, (AC) to make severe dents in bulky foes to clear the way for the rest of the team, or late-game, (AC) to clean up a match once its major threats have been removed and many bulkier foes have been put into range to be KOed by Earth Power. Notably, despite its typing lending it immunities to both Ground- and Electric-type attacks, Landorus-I Landorus should not be switched in during a turn, (AC) as its mediocre bulk puts it at risk of taking heavy hits from opposing attacks; instead, Landorus-I Landorus is best brought in after its partner has been KOed or off the back of a slow U-turn or Volt Switch. Landorus-I's Landorus's quadruple weakness to Ice also means that it must be wary even around the Electric-types it should beat, as such foes, including Tapu Koko and Zapdos, are often either are immune to Earth Power, can outspeed it and OHKO it with Hidden Power Ice, or both. Zapdos, importantly, can further worsen Landorus-I's Landorus's standing on the field speed-wise by setting up a Tailwind. Indeed, opposing speed control greatly threatens Landorus, as it prefers to move first in order to avoid damage and deal with threats before they can damage it; therefore, in using Landorus-I, Landorus, one's own speed control is key in order to allow it to continuously exert pressure on the opponent.

Team Options
========
Steel-types, such as Aegislash, Genesect, and Mega Metagross, pair well with Landorus-I, Landorus, appreciating its ability to beat opposing Fire- and Steel-types with Earth Power (RC) while also threatening Ice-types that threaten Landorus-I, such as Kyurem-B in return. Fairy-types such as Tapu Lele also benefit from the removal of Fire- and Steel-types (RC) and can also threaten said Kyurem-B. Due to Landorus-I's Landorus's key weakness to Water- and Ice-type attacks, it should be paired with one or more partners capable of switching into Water- and Ice-type attacks those, such as Tapu Fini or Milotic.

Type synergy aside, another important aspect of Landorus-I's Landorus's potential teammates is their access to speed control, which is appreciated greatly by Landorus-I Landorus appreciates greatly in order to keep it moving before its threats, allowing it to get the most use out of its devastating Earth Powers. This speed control can come in several forms, such as Icy Wind and Tailwind; notable users of each include Icy Wind Milotic and Gengar and Tailwind Zapdos and Hydreigon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Though notorious for its inconsistency, Focus Blast makes for a decent attack on Landorus-I, Landorus allowing it to better deal with Snorlax and to a lesser extent Tyranitar, though if the team Landorus-I Landorus is on has no particular weakness to these two Pokemon, Earth Power is arguably sufficient for dealing with them. While it forgoes the significant damage boost from Life Orb, Choice Scarf can be used to alleviate Landorus's issues with its somewhat disappointing Speed tier and surprise opposing Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Mega Salamence by outrunning and OHKOing them with Hidden Power Ice.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Ice-types**: Landorus-I's Landorus's natural enemy, Ice-types hit it for quadruple damage and can easily OHKO it, (AC) as it tends to hold neither a Yache Berry nor a Focus Sash. Furthermore, due to the ubiquity of Mega Salamence, Landorus-T, and Zygarde, Ice-type coverage is extremely common and not hard to fit onto most teams. Threatening Pokemon with STAB-boosted Ice-type moves include Weavile, Kyurem-B, and Alolan Ninetales-A, though threats such as Zapdos, Tapu Koko, and Mega Metagross commonly run Ice-type coverage in the form of Hidden Power Ice or Ice Punch.

**Water-types**: Landorus-I Landorus has little way to deal with bulky Water-types and gets OHKOed by most Water-type moves. Common Pokemon possessing STAB-boosted Water-type moves include Milotic and Tapu Fini (RC) as well as common Swift Swim users Ludicolo, Kingdra, (AC) and Mega Swampert; the latter three are a particular threat, (AC) as they are also able to outrun Landorus-I Landorus under the rain, preventing it from even moving before being KOed.

**Tailwind and Trick Room**: Landorus-I's Landorus's mediocre bulk leaves it wide open to being severely damaged by foes which that it can't KO with Earth Power first. Opposing Tailwind and Trick Room remove what semblance of a speed advantage it had, greatly lessening its presence on the field.

**Faster Pokemon**: Landorus-I's Landorus's frailty causes it to be threatened by any faster Pokemon that can hit it hard, including but not limited to Choice Scarf Genesect, Deoxys-Attack, and Mega Salamence.

Last edited:

GP 2/2
remove add

[OVERVIEW]
Though often overshadowed by its Therian counterpart, Incarnate Landorus is a considerable force to be dealt with in its own right, easily dealing with common Steel- and Fire-types courtesy of its iconically powerful Sheer Force-backed Earth Power, which is notably ignores unaffected by both Grassy Terrain and Wide Guard, two huge problems to most Earthquake users. However, even in this regard, it still faces competition from special Landorus-T for the a team slot; though Landorus hits much harder, it lacks the Therian forme's key selling point of Intimidate. Perhaps precisely because it lacks Intimidate, Landorus is also heavily threatened by opposing speed control and even faster foes, which can take advantage of its relative lack of bulk to pick up a quickly KO on it. Landorus is also hurt by the ubiquity of Ice-type coverage attacks, a consequence of the high usage of Mega Salamence, Zygarde, and Landorus-T.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
Earth Power is Landorus's claim to fame: backed by a Life Orb and Sheer Force, Earth Power it can deal huge amounts of damage, OHKOing many common threats such as Tapu Koko, Aegislash, (comma) and Shuca Berry Heatran and 2HKOing a large number of bulkier threats such as Tapu Fini and Milotic. Sludge Bomb, also backed by Sheer Force and a Life Orb, deals with Fairy- and Grass-types such as Tapu Lele, Tapu Fini, and Tapu Bulu, though another option is Rock Slide, which has a chance to OHKO even bulky Mega Charizard Y. In the last of Landorus's attacking moveslots, Hidden Power Ice is a solid choice to allow Landorus to deal large amounts of damage to Mega Salamence, Landorus-T, and Zygarde. Finally, Protect keeps Landorus safe for the turn and helps to it stall out opposing Tailwind and Trick Room, which would otherwise pose a large threat to it.

Set Details
========
This set uses a Life Orb in tandem with Sheer Force to boost the power of Landorus's attacks with secondary effects, with the added bonus of Sheer Force preventing recoil damage from the Life Orb. The given EV spread and nature maximize Landorus's Special Attack and Speed stats, allowing it to get the most damage out of Life Orb and Sheer Force and guaranteeing that it can outrun the denizens of the well-populated base 100 Speed tier. A Naive nature can also be used if Landorus chooses to run Rock Slide in order to guarantee the an OHKO on bulky versions of Mega Charizard Y.

Usage Tips
========
Although Landorus's high-powered attacks are very threatening, its Speed tier and lack of general bulk put it at risk from when against faster foes. Landorus is best used either early-game, to make put severe dents in bulky foes to clear the way for the rest of the team, or late-game, to clean up a match once its major threats to it have been removed and many bulkier foes have been put into KO range to be KOed by of Earth Power. Notably, Despite its typing lending it immunities to both Ground- and Electric-type attacks, Landorus should not be switched in during a turn, as its mediocre bulk puts it at risk of taking heavy hits from opposing attacks; instead, Landorus is best brought in after its a partner has been KOed or off the back of a slow U-turn or Volt Switch. Landorus's quadruple weakness to Ice also means that it must be wary even around the Electric-types it should beat, as such foes, including Tapu Koko and Zapdos, are often either immune to Earth Power, can outspeed it and OHKO it with Hidden Power Ice, or both. Zapdos, (comma) importantly, can further worsen Landorus's standing on the field speed-wise by setting up a Tailwind. Indeed, opposing speed control greatly threatens Landorus, as it prefers to move first in order to avoid damage and deal with threats before they can damage it; therefore, in using Landorus, one's own speed control is key in order to allow it Landorus to continuously exert pressure on the opponent.

Team Options
========
Steel-types, (comma) such as Aegislash, Genesect, and Mega Metagross, (comma) pair well with Landorus, appreciating its ability to beat opposing Fire- and Steel-types with Earth Power while threatening Ice-types such as Kyurem-B for it. Fairy-types such as Tapu Lele also benefit from the removal of Fire- and Steel-types and can also threaten Kyurem-B. Due to Landorus's key glaring weakness to Water- and Ice-type attacks, it should be paired with one or more partners capable of switching into those, such as Tapu Fini or Milotic.

Type synergy aside, Another important aspect of Landorus's potential teammates is their access to speed control, which Landorus appreciates greatly in order to keep it moving before its threats, allowing it to get the most use out of its devastating Earth Powers. This speed control can come in several forms, such as Icy Wind and Tailwind; notable users of each include Icy Wind Milotic and Gengar and Tailwind Zapdos and Hydreigon.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
Though notorious for its inconsistency, Focus Blast makes for a decent attack on Landorus, allowing it to better deal with Snorlax and, (comma) to a lesser extent, (comma) Tyranitar, though but if the team Landorus is on has no particular weakness to these two Pokemon, Earth Power is arguably sufficient for dealing with them. While it forgoes the significant damage boost from Life Orb, Choice Scarf can be used to alleviate Landorus's issues with its somewhat disappointing Speed tier and surprise opposing Landorus-T, Zygarde, and Mega Salamence by outrunning and OHKOing them with Hidden Power Ice.

Checks and Counters
===================
**Ice-types**: Landorus's natural enemy, Ice-types hit it Landorus for quadruple damage and can easily OHKO it, as it tends to hold neither a Yache Berry nor a Focus Sash. Furthermore, due to the ubiquity of Mega Salamence, Landorus-T, and Zygarde, Ice-type coverage is extremely common and not hard to fit onto most teams. Threatening Pokemon with STAB-boosted Ice-type moves include Weavile, Kyurem-B, and Alolan Ninetales, though and threats such as Zapdos, Tapu Koko, and Mega Metagross commonly run Ice-type coverage in the form of Hidden Power Ice or Ice Punch.

**Water-types**: Landorus has little way to deal with bulky Water-types and gets OHKOed by most Water-type moves. Common Pokemon possessing STAB-boosted Water-type moves include Milotic and Tapu Fini as well as the common Swift Swim users Ludicolo, Kingdra, and Mega Swampert; the latter three are a particular threats, as they are also able to outrun Landorus under the rain, preventing it from even moving before being KOed.

**Tailwind and Trick Room**: Landorus's mediocre bulk leaves it wide open to being severely damaged by foes that it can't KO with Earth Power first. Opposing Tailwind and Trick Room remove what semblance of a speed advantage it had, greatly lessening its presence on the field.

**Faster Pokemon**: Landorus's frailty causes it to be threatened by any faster Pokemon that can hit it hard, including but not limited to Choice Scarf Genesect, Deoxys-A, and Mega Salamence.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)