Pokémon Kommo-o

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it runs Bulletproof, but honestly Soundproof is much better. With it you can avoid being phazed out by Roar, set up on Sylveon (unless it runs Psychic for some odd reason) and avoid Parting Shot from Silvally, Persian-A and Pangoro. From my testing so far, I've had the best results with Dragon Dance and Choice Specs sets.

So I was testing out Kommo-o on VGC showdown, and I noticed that clanging scales was acting... odd. It was lowering my defense for each foe hit, not just once in a turn. Is that how its supposed to work in doubles?

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7vgc2017-502638293
No, ingame it blasts both foes simultaneously just like any other spread attack, then lowers your Def 1 stage after damage is inflicted.
Been spamming it in Doubles for literally a week, trust me.

edit: yeah that's definitely fucked up but at the same time I believe it goes in the Showdown bugs thread not here. lol

No, ingame it blasts both foes simultaneously just like any other spread attack, then lowers your Def 1 stage after damage is inflicted.
Been spamming it in Doubles for literally a week, trust me.

edit: yeah that's definitely fucked up but at the same time I believe it goes in the Showdown bugs thread not here. lol

Ok, I just wasn't sure if it was a showdown bug or working correctly. Glad to hear it was a bug, because I love clanging scales on this beast and it would be a shame if it harsly lowered in doubles.

I like the assault vest set I posted early is best. This thing is surprisingly tanky with it, and Aurora screen support just makes it better. It would love drain punch to finish off how tanky this pokemon is. I run a Naive Nature so I don't lower any other stat, and I find that An Assault vest just negates any downside the nature gives.

This is my favorite set for Kommo-o

Kommo-o @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Autotomize
- Dragon Claw
- Sky Uppercut
- Poison Jab

I feel like Close Combat would be amazing on this Pokemon. Unfortunately it cannot learn the move.
But here's a moves set i'd use

Ability: Bulletproof
Item: Metronome
EVs: 252Atk/184Spe
Nature: Adamant
Moves
*Brick break
*Outrage
*Poison Jab
*Clanging Scales

What do we think about a Mago Berry/Belly Drum/Autotomize set?

Kommo-o has some bulk to take a neutral hit that can get him into range to abuse berries like Mago with Belly Drum and attempt a sweep. The berries don't activate until you are at 1/8th your health I believe, but after taking a neutral hit and a belly drum, it heals you for 50% of your HP.

My rough idea for the set is:
Ability: Soundproof
Adamant
252Atk/252Spe/4HP
Item: Mago Berry
-Belly Drum
-Autotomize
-Brick Break
-Shadow Claw

Soundproof keeps you from being phased by Roar and are immune to other sound based moves. Mago Berry heals and helps you stay healthy to get the Autotomize and Belly Drum activated to set up for a sweep.

Probably one of my favorite sets for him thus far is a Special Variant:

Ability - Soundproof
This is a definite plus for Kommo-o, it allows him to survive encounter when he is met up with Hyper Voice Sylveon, or other pokemon that rely on sound based moves. Also makes Kommo-o immune to Roar, so you don't have to re-set up.
Nature - Modest
He needs to be able to deal out as much damage as possible. Will be fully invested in Sp. Atk, and equipped with Life Orb, Kommo-o will deal out massive damage.
Item - Life Orb - Kommo-o Special Variant is a sweeper, so it needs to be able to maximize damage output. I feel Special Kommo-o is something people are sleeping on hardcore. Life Orb helps get the most damage without locking yourself into one move.
EVs - 72HP/4Def/252Sp. Atk/ 180Spe
Moveset -
Autotomize -
This one is obvious, +2 Kommo-o is something to behold. With the bulkiness to take a couple of hits while it is setting up, Autotomize is a necessity to this set.
Clanging Scales - STAB Dragon-Type attack hitting for only 20 less BP than Draco Meteor, but with the added bonus of not skewering this guy's Sp. Atk after only one hit. While this does lower its defenses, Kommo-o has enough bulk to survive a couple of defense drops.
Focus Blast - STAB Fighting-Type Move, does enormous damage. Will completely annihilate anything that is weak to fighting, and will do a ton of damage to threats like Magearna (+1 is a guaranteed OHKO if landed).
Flash Cannon - The last move is for Fairy-Type coverage. Will completely demolish those pesky Rock-Fairy Types that give you so much trouble, Diancie is kept in complete check and Guarantees and OHKO on Mega Diancie.

This set works great with any Nasty-Pass users such as Mew, Togekiss, Celebi, etc.

This thing reminds me of Haxorus for some reason. Neat moves like SD, DD and Taunt but overall outclassed by better Dragons like Zard-X. Even the Special set needs to compete with Lati@s, Kyurem or Hydreigon for a teamslot.
kommo-o isn't really very comparable to haxorus (outside of maybe movepool to a certain extent) . Kommo-o is a 'mon with solid mixed stats while haxorus is almost exclusively a MONSTROUS physical sweeper.

Also, something that i want to bring up is that i think haxorus might actually become a legitimate threat this gen. Absurd attack, good speed, solid movepool, & a degree of unpredictability!

How about this.
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Soundproof
Nature: Adamant or Jolly
EVs: 252 Attack, 192 Speed, 64 Sp. Attack
Brick Break
Dragon Dance
Dragon Claw
Flash Cannon
It has soundproof so it can take down mega gardevoir. and it also has brick break and flash cannon to take care of that pesky alolan ninetales, also holding the focus sash so it can have one guaranteed turn to set up dragon dance, thus outspeeding alolan ninetales and preventing aurora veil to be used in the first place.

Is there a consensus regarding this guy's niche in OU? I mean, it's thread is still open, so I assume there must be something going for it other than being the regional pseudo and having dark and bug resistances, right?

Is there a consensus regarding this guy's niche in OU? I mean, it's thread is still open, so I assume there must be something going for it other than being the regional pseudo and having dark and bug resistances, right?
Kommo-o's niche is Clanging Scales. The ability to repeatedly fire off 110 BP Special Dragon attacks over and over.

Kommo-o's physical side is grossly lacking. All Dragon Dance and Swords Dance sets are utter crap in comparison to Dragonite, Salamence, Haxorus, Garchomp.

Still, Kommo-o will have issue drawing out a niche as a special attacker. Between Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Porygon-Z, Xurkitree and Manaphy... Kommo-o is straight up inferior to the speed or power that is offered in OU... maybe even UU (aka: Hydreigon)

Kommo-o's niche is Clanging Scales. The ability to repeatedly fire off 110 BP Special Dragon attacks over and over.
I did some calcs to check if that's actually worth it, and it turns out that Kommo-o's CS just barely manages to hit harder that Kyurem-B's Ice beam:

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-Black Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gastrodon: 231-274 (54.2 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Kommo-o Clanging Scales vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Gastrodon: 251-296 (58.9 - 69.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

In that case, Autotomize/Rock Polish and going mixed is a must if it wants to have a solid niche (though that's mostly because every other pseudo has better things to do, but eh) Maybe something like this would work?

Kommo-o @ Life Orb
Ability: Whatever
EVs: 208 Atk / 172 SpA / 128 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Clanging Scales
- Flamethrower/Earthquake
- Poison Jab/Sky Uppercut
- Autotomize/Rock Polish

The idea is setting up against something Kommo-o either resist or is inmune to, which thanks to it's abilities can be a lot of stuff (with Soundproof it's inmune to Roar and Perish Song, with Overcoat it ignores Spore, etc.). After that it's ready to sweep

Clanging Scales it's the preferred STAB move because it hits hard and it ignores substitutes at the cost of -1 defense each time it's used, which is a good tradeoff for what's the equivalent of a 100% accurate dragon-type Hydro Pump. Flamethrower and EQ are for steels, Poison Jab is for fairies and Sky Uppercut is there if you really hate Greninja.

The EVs spread lets you outspeed scarf Lele after Autotomize while also having enough mixed offenses to wreck stuff. Naughty is to give Poison Jab/EQ/Sky Uppercut as much power as possible.

It isn't in any way an offensive behemoth, and unlike most dragons it's best used as a cleaner than a sweeper, but it can get some things done:

208+ Atk Life Orb Kommo-o Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Koko: 244-289 (86.8 - 102.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
208+ Atk Life Orb Kommo-o Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Koko: 307-361 (109.2 - 128.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
208+ Atk Life Orb Kommo-o Poison Jab vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Tapu Lele: 270-320 (96 - 113.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

208+ Atk Life Orb Kommo-o Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 510-603 (132.1 - 156.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
172 SpA Life Orb Kommo-o Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Scizor-Mega: 400-473 (142.3 - 168.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
208+ Atk Life Orb Kommo-o Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 406-478 (95.7 - 112.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
208+ Atk Life Orb Kommo-o Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Marowak-Alola: 247-291 (76.2 - 89.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
208+ Atk Life Orb Kommo-o Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Muk-Alola: 338-400 (81.6 - 96.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
172 SpA Life Orb Kommo-o Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 307-364 (87.2 - 103.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Kommo-o also happens to be a pretty good answer against pretty much any dragon that's not Dragonite (at full HP), defensive Latias, Goodra or SubCoil Zygarde:

172 SpA Life Orb Kommo-o Clanging Scales vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Charizard-Mega-X: 416-494 (115.8 - 137.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
172 SpA Life Orb Kommo-o Clanging Scales vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Kingdra: 421-499 (145.6 - 172.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
172 SpA Life Orb Kommo-o Clanging Scales vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 416-494 (99.7 - 118.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
172 SpA Life Orb Kommo-o Clanging Scales vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 335-398 (112 - 133.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
208+ Atk Life Orb Kommo-o Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Dragalge: 294-346 (88.2 - 103.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
172 SpA Life Orb Kommo-o Clanging Scales vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Kyurem-Black: 398-471 (101.7 - 120.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

By the way, SM's update changed the infamous Kommo-o of Battle Tree. Now it has Draco Meteor instead of Shell Smash, so at this point only Move Tutors can save it.

Last edited:
By the way, SM's update changed the infamous Kommo-o of Battle Tree. Now it has Draco Meteor instead of Shell Smash, so at this point only Move Tutors can save it.
The way I see it is that they designed kommo-o with shell smash in mind (mixed offenses, low bp moves, highest stat is defense [like all pokemon capable of learning shell smash], etc.), but realized that a shell smashing pseudo would be super OP, so they scrapped it, leaving kommo-o a mediocre mixed attacker with no real way to boost its special attack. They didn't think to go back and give it better moves to compensate, but maybe they will in future games (mostly just close combat). Hey, if mantine can get roost, anything is possible.

The way I see it is that they designed kommo-o with shell smash in mind (mixed offenses, low bp moves, highest stat is defense [like all pokemon capable of learning shell smash], etc.), but realized that a shell smashing pseudo would be super OP, so they scrapped it, leaving kommo-o a mediocre mixed attacker with no real way to boost its special attack. They didn't think to go back and give it better moves to compensate, but maybe they will in future games (mostly just close combat). Hey, if mantine can get roost, anything is possible.
Yeah, that's makes a lot of sense. The Shell Smash set on Battle Tree in that case was more likely leftovers of that idea.

Good thing they changed their mind, it would've been pretty busted otherwise:

+2 172 SpA Life Orb Kommo-o Clanging Scales vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-Therian: 433-511 (113.6 - 134.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 172 SpA Life Orb Kommo-o Clanging Scales vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mantine: 270-320 (72.1 - 85.5%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 172 SpA Life Orb Kommo-o Clanging Scales vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Slowbro: 425-500 (107.8 - 126.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 172 SpA Life Orb Kommo-o Clanging Scales vs. 252 HP / 112 SpD Hippowdon: 411-485 (97.8 - 115.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 172 SpA Life Orb Kommo-o Clanging Scales vs. 248 HP / 144 SpD Venusaur-Mega: 274-325 (75.4 - 89.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 172 SpA Life Orb Kommo-o Clanging Scales vs. 252 HP / 144+ SpD Sableye-Mega: 259-305 (85.1 - 100.3%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 172 SpA Life Orb Kommo-o Clanging Scales vs. 36 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 415-489 (86.4 - 101.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 208+ Atk Life Orb Kommo-o Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Magearna: 351-413 (96.4 - 113.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 208+ Atk Life Orb Kommo-o Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Toxapex: 286-338 (94 - 111.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 208+ Atk Life Orb Kommo-o Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 533-629 (131.9 - 155.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 208+ Atk Life Orb Kommo-o Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tapu Fini: 278-330 (80.8 - 95.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 208+ Atk Life Orb Kommo-o Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 447-528 (113.4 - 134%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 208+ Atk Life Orb Kommo-o Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Togekiss: 320-377 (85.5 - 100.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 172 SpA Life Orb Kommo-o Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross-Mega: 367-432 (121.9 - 143.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+2 172 SpA Life Orb Kommo-o Flamethrower vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 359-424 (107.4 - 126.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 208+ Atk Life Orb Kommo-o Sky Uppercut vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celesteela: 331-391 (83.1 - 98.2%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 208+ Atk Life Orb Kommo-o Sky Uppercut vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 905-1063 (140.9 - 165.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Good thing Smogon nerfed Baton Pass, cause this thing could've been a huge win condition for those kinds of teams.

Hi guys, new guy here.

Was wondering if anyone can give me a EV spread suggestion for a lonely nature Kommo-o that I found shiny?

Really want to use him. Was thinking about it being a mixed attacker with clanging scales, I mean it's defense drops anyways so I guess lonely isn't the worst nature.

Why do people think soundproof stops Mega Gardevoir? It still has Psyshock, and is immune to one of its STABs and 4x resists the other.

Also, it's unreleased so it's irrelevant anyway.

Plus, no one uses Sylveon.

Just sayin.

I've been trying my spread and it turns out it's...pretty decent. While it has no problems finding up setup opportunities (can set up on Specs Greninja, for example) and can net a KO or 2, it eventually falls flat against something you either don't hit super effectively or you just didn't had enought power to kill, like one time it failed to kill a Skarmory with 80% HP with Flamethrower. (GF really needs to give it Fire Blast)

There's another similar set in the OU analisis thread that has a similar idea to the one I posted. It lacks some power when it comes to beating the Tapus, but it packs a bigger punch against other stuff.

Here's a Z-Move idea I just came up with for this pokemon. This is a slight alteration to the Swords Dance set so that while it won't hit quite as hard, it's able to retain its bulk during attacks.

Kommo-o @ Fightinium-Z
Ability: Bulletproof / Overcoat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Outrage / Dragon Claw
- Sky Uppercut
- Poison Jab / Earthquake

Z-Bulk Up equates to 2 Attack Boosts and 1 Defense Boost. If you need to desperately faint the opposing Pokemon, Z-Sky Uppercut does a fantastic 160 Base Power with perfect accuracy. However, be wary of Ghosts. Outrage is my personal preference over Dragon Claw because it takes less confusion damage after a Bulk Up than Swords Dance Kommo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)