Kommo-o [QC 2.5/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

QC Checks: Amaroq / dodmen / -
GP Checks: -
[OVERVIEW]

* Kommo-o is a strong wallbreaker which has a huge amount of bulk to dismantle bulkier teams.
* Its main STAB, Clanging Scales, is slightly weaker than Draco Meteor, but it has less drawbacks.
* Kommo-o stands out from other Dragon-types because of its great offensive and defensive typing, which allow it to take hits from common attackers such as Bisharp and Scizor, retaliating with powerful STABs. However, its typing also gives it relevant weaknesses, such as its x4 weakness to Fairy and its 2x weakness to Flying, Psychic, and Dragon.
* Its Speed stat is a kind of a mixed bag, as Kommo-o has enough Speed to outspeed tier staples such as Togekiss and Suicune but can't outspeed Krookodile and Hydreigon.
* It lacks a good physical Fighting-type STAB, which means it can't run Dragon Dance sets effectively.
* Unfortunately, Kommo-o has few coverage options and relies on prediction to hit walls, and is usually outclassed by other Dragon-types such as Kyurem, Latias, and Hydreigon.

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Clanging Scales
move 2: Focus Blast
move 3: Flash Cannon
move 4: Flamethrower
item: Choice Specs
ability: Overcoat / Bulletproof
nature: Timid
evs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Clanging Scales is its main STAB move, as it hits any Pokemon that doesn't resist it really hard.
* Focus Blast provides a coverage against Steel-types such as Scizor and Cobalion, as they resist Clanging Scales.
* Since Kommo-o lacks a form to deal damage against Fairy-types with its coverage moves, such as Togekiss and Clefable, Flash Cannon is a great coverage move.
* Flamethrower gives Kommo-o a form of hitting Scizor and Forretress without having to rely in Focus Blast to hit them.

Set Details
========

* Choice Specs allows Kommo-o to hit as hard as possible, 2HKOing or even OHKOing some tier staples such as Gliscor, Blissey and Klefki.
* The max Speed investment and the Timid nature allow Kommo-o outspeed a large portion of the tier, such as standard Togekiss and stallbreaker Mew, while the max Special Attack investment allows Kommo-o to get some crucial KOes.
* Overcoat gives Kommo-o a form to gain momentum against Sleep inducers such as Amoonguss and Roserade, while also giving Kommo-o an immunity to Sand.
* Bulletproof can be used over Overcoat, as it walls Choice locked Gengar, Ice Beam-less Blastoise, and Chandelure.

Usage Tips
========

* Kommo-o is a great pivot, as it has a great typing that allows it to switch in Grass, Electric, and even Dark-type moves, retaliating back with a powerful Clanging Scales or Focus Blast.
* Since Kommo-o has great defenses, it has the needed bulk to survive key attacks from strong Pokemon, such as All-Out Pummeling from Cobalion and an Earthquake from Choice Band Krookodile.
* Kommo-o matches up really well against balanced teams, as they give it enough opportunities to switch in thanks to their passive walls.

Team Options
========

* Pursuit support from Mega Aerodactyl, Krookodile, Mega Absol, Scizor, or Bisharp is essential, as Kommo-o struggles against Latias.
* Steel-types such as Cobalion, Scizor, and Bisharp help Kommo-o against Fairy-types, mainly Clefable and Togekiss.
* Setup sweepers such as Raikou, Latias, and Mega Sharpedo appreciate Kommo-o's wallbreaking support.
* Poison-types such as Nidoqueen, Tentacruel, and Amoonguss are good teammates as well, since they can stop Fairy-types such as Clefable and Primarina while having secondary roles on a team, such as setting Toxic Spikes or putting foes asleep.
* Entry hazard support from Pokemon such as Krookodile, Celebi, and Klefki wears down walls that Kommo-o hates, such as Unaware Clefable, putting them on KO range.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* A set with Dragon Dance and a Z-Stone, either Dragonium Z, Fightinium Z, or Poisonium Z, can be used, but Kommo-o's lack of a good Fighting-type STAB and other coverage options makes this set really underwhelming. It's also outclassed by Haxorus, which has a better Attack stat and better coverage options.
* A set with Swords Dance can be used as well, but it lacks a good Fighting-type STAB and Speed to wallbreak, not to mention that it is already outclassed by other Fighting-types such as Swords Dance Heracross and Swords Dance Cobalion.
* Rock Polish can be used alongside Life Orb to threaten offensive squads, but the lack of immediate power and coverage makes it worse than Choice Specs.
* Belly Drum can be used alongside Substitute and Salac Berry, but it's not hard to revenge kill as it is still outsped by common threats in Choice Scarf Hydreigon and Choice Scarf Keldeo, not to mention that it lacks a good Fighting-type STAB.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Fairy-types**: Fairy-types, such as Clefable and Togekiss, can switch into Kommo's STABs, but they have to look out for Flash Cannon. However, Primarina takes neutral damage from Flash Cannon and has a high special defense, enabling it to hard check Kommo-o

**Psychic-types**: Psychic-types such as Reuniclus, Latias, and Gardevoir will always OHKO Kommo-o with their Psychic-type STAB moves, but they can't switch in on Kommo-o safely.

**Faster Dragon-types**: While not being able to switch into Kommo-o's attacks, Dragon-types such as Latias, Hydreigon, and Haxorus can force Kommo-o to switch out.

**Revenge Killers**: Revenge killers such as Choice Scarf Hydreigon, Mega Aerodactyl, and Keldeo can take advantage of Kommo-o's lack of Speed and OHKO it with their STABs.

Last edited:

Amaroq

Cover me.
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Overview

Rework the first bullet point. Kommo-o's offensive stats aren't as impressive as you make them sound and 75/125/105 defenses are better than "decent". This bullet point sounds like you're saying Kommo-o is an offensive powerhouse with decent natural bulk, rather than an offensive Pokemon with good bulk and reasonable offensive presence.

In the second bullet point, state explicitly that Clanging Scales is the powerful STAB move with limited drawbacks.

Include a bullet point mentioning the value of Kommo-o's typing, both offensively and defensively. Explain that its seven resistances and nice bulk allow it to take common attacks and retaliate with the appropriate move. Note, however, that its weaknesses to Fairy-, Psychic-, Dragon-, and Flying-type attacks leave it vulnerable to many common Pokemon in the tier.

Add a bullet point talking about its speed tier and what it allows Kommo-o to do, as well as what it doesn't allow (basically, point out that Kommo-o is fast enough to outspeed stuff like Togekiss, but is still slower than Pokemon such as Krookodile or Hydreigon).

Mention Bulletproof and Overcoat and explain what they do.

Reword the last bullet point. Its coverage options are pretty limited, but they're sufficient to allow it to do what it needs to (Flash Cannon hits most Fairy-types hard enough to 2HKO them).

Choice Specs

Make Flamethrower the first slash in the fourth slot. Focus Blast may be enough to KO most Steel-types, but the value of a reliable method of dispatching them without having to hope that Focus Blast hits cannot be understated.

Add a bullet point in Moves for Flamethrower (and remove Flamethrower from Other Options).

In Set Details, rephrase the last half of the second bullet point to say that the Special Attack investment simply maximizes Kommo-o's offensive presence. Explain what Bulletproof does in more detail and list more examples of Pokemon Bulletproof allows Kommo-o to check.

Elaborate on the Usage Tips section. Include more information about how to use Kommo-o effectively. Remember, these analyses are the primary resource for new players trying to learn about how to use these Pokemon. Explain that Kommo-o should use its typing and bulk to switch in and break walls during the early- and mid-game, elaborate more on what types of attacks it can come in, describe how to use Bulletproof to create opportunities to pressure the opponent, etc.

Mention the value of Stealth Rock in Team Options. Merge this into the Spikes bullet point and explain how certain entry hazard setters synergize with Kommo-o.

Other Options

Mention Overcoat, as the immunity to Spore, Sandstorm, and Hail can be useful.

Include Swords Dance as an option since it's kind of a middle ground between Belly Drum and Dragon Dance in terms of reliability and power. Explain that it suffers from similar flaws to other physical sets.

Checks and Counters

Include a bullet point for Dragon-types, as UU's relevant Dragon-types can outspeed Kommo-o and remove it with their super effective STAB moves.

Include Mega Aerodactyl in the Revenge Killers section.

Implement this and I'll look over the analysis again.

Overview

Rework the first bullet point. Kommo-o's offensive stats aren't as impressive as you make them sound and 75/125/105 defenses are better than "decent". This bullet point sounds like you're saying Kommo-o is an offensive powerhouse with decent natural bulk, rather than an offensive Pokemon with good bulk and reasonable offensive presence.

In the second bullet point, state explicitly that Clanging Scales is the powerful STAB move with limited drawbacks.

Include a bullet point mentioning the value of Kommo-o's typing, both offensively and defensively. Explain that its seven resistances and nice bulk allow it to take common attacks and retaliate with the appropriate move. Note, however, that its weaknesses to Fairy-, Psychic-, Dragon-, and Flying-type attacks leave it vulnerable to many common Pokemon in the tier.

Add a bullet point talking about its speed tier and what it allows Kommo-o to do, as well as what it doesn't allow (basically, point out that Kommo-o is fast enough to outspeed stuff like Togekiss, but is still slower than Pokemon such as Krookodile or Hydreigon).

Mention Bulletproof and Overcoat and explain what they do.

Reword the last bullet point. Its coverage options are pretty limited, but they're sufficient to allow it to do what it needs to (Flash Cannon hits most Fairy-types hard enough to 2HKO them).

Choice Specs

Make Flamethrower the first slash in the fourth slot. Focus Blast may be enough to KO most Steel-types, but the value of a reliable method of dispatching them without having to hope that Focus Blast hits cannot be understated.

Add a bullet point in Moves for Flamethrower (and remove Flamethrower from Other Options).

In Set Details, rephrase the last half of the second bullet point to say that the Special Attack investment simply maximizes Kommo-o's offensive presence. Explain what Bulletproof does in more detail and list more examples of Pokemon Bulletproof allows Kommo-o to check.

Elaborate on the Usage Tips section. Include more information about how to use Kommo-o effectively. Remember, these analyses are the primary resource for new players trying to learn about how to use these Pokemon. Explain that Kommo-o should use its typing and bulk to switch in and break walls during the early- and mid-game, elaborate more on what types of attacks it can come in, describe how to use Bulletproof to create opportunities to pressure the opponent, etc.

Mention the value of Stealth Rock in Team Options. Merge this into the Spikes bullet point and explain how certain entry hazard setters synergize with Kommo-o.

Other Options

Mention Overcoat, as the immunity to Spore, Sandstorm, and Hail can be useful.

Include Swords Dance as an option since it's kind of a middle ground between Belly Drum and Dragon Dance in terms of reliability and power. Explain that it suffers from similar flaws to other physical sets.

Checks and Counters

Include a bullet point for Dragon-types, as UU's relevant Dragon-types can outspeed Kommo-o and remove it with their super effective STAB moves.

Include Mega Aerodactyl in the Revenge Killers section.

Implement this and I'll look over the analysis again.
added, sorry for the wait. I've also changed its ability to overcoat because avoiding spore from amoonguss is really useful at the moment. Ready for QC 2/3

Just pointing out that you should probably remove Sleep Talk if you're going to have Overcoat as the main ability. I see that you've mentioned Flamethrower in moves, so I assume that's the replacement.

Just pointing out that you should probably remove Sleep Talk if you're going to have Overcoat as the main ability.
Yeah, I removed all the Sleep Talk mentions and haven't deleted it from the set, hehe. Thanks for pointing that out, man!

* Unfortunately, Kommo-o has few coverage options and is easily walled by common Pokemon in the tier, but it is sometimes enough to get past some walls, such as Clefable and Togekiss.
Instead of walled easily, I'd just say it's rather prediction reliant and outclassed by other Dragon-types like Hydreigon, Kyurem, and Latias.

I wouldn't say Bulletproof is completely useless outside of Sludge Bomb Gengar - it still allows Kommo-o to pivot on/punish Choiced Gengar at least, and walls Chandelure/Cofagrigus, and can switch in much more easily on Mega Blastoise.

For the DD set in OO, mention Fightinium and Dragonium Z as well.

Latias is mentioned 3 times in Checks and Counters, so pick different examples for some of the sections. For "Fairy-Types", say that other Fairy-types are 2HKOed by Flash Cannon, but Primarina can safely switchin and take 2 even after rocks.

2/3 after these.

Instead of walled easily, I'd just say it's rather prediction reliant and outclassed by other Dragon-types like Hydreigon, Kyurem, and Latias.

I wouldn't say Bulletproof is completely useless outside of Sludge Bomb Gengar - it still allows Kommo-o to pivot on/punish Choiced Gengar at least, and walls Chandelure/Cofagrigus, and can switch in much more easily on Mega Blastoise.

For the DD set in OO, mention Fightinium and Dragonium Z as well.

Latias is mentioned 3 times in Checks and Counters, so pick different examples for some of the sections. For "Fairy-Types", say that other Fairy-types are 2HKOed by Flash Cannon, but Primarina can safely switchin and take 2 even after rocks.

2/3 after these.
did, this analysis is ready for its last check.

Since Kommo-o lacks a form to deal damage against Fairy-types, such as Togekiss and Clefable, Flash Cannon is a great coverage move.

well flash cannon does deal damage against fairy-types obv so just reword the first part to say that it lacks a form to deal damage with its STAB attacks

honestly i think bulletproof is worth a slash, being able to switch into blastoise is soo nice as an offensive mon, a little situational but atm amoonguss isnt the most popular mon so its worth it imo

in team options mention pokemon that can take advantage of kommo-o's wallbreaking i.e. mega shark, raikou, venomoth

also mention that bisharp and scizor can check latias, one of kommo-o's best checks

some other minor stuff is there but its p much stuff for gp anyhow. qc 3/3

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this in the past, and I apologize for not making it official before, but Kommo-o needs to be given an Autotomize set, as that is one of the clear niches it has over the other Dragon-type Pokemon in UU. Here's how it should look like:

[SET]
name: Autotomize
move 1: Autotomize
move 2: Clanging Scales
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Flash Cannon
item: Life Orb / Fightinium Z
ability: Bulletproof
nature: Modest

It's been a while since I've last used this Pokemon, so there might be some outdated stuff in the set I've proposed. It's up to you to give it a couple of test runs and see if everything still works fine. Anyway, with more and more Mega Aerodactyl dropping Aerial Ace from their sets, this Kommo-o becomes a glorified offense killer, outrunning everything commonly seen on that team archetype and possessing enough bulk to tank most priority moves. Life Orb vs. Z stone is a matter of whether its team already has a different Z move user or not. Fight Z guarantees the kill on most Scizor variants and nukes stuff like Hippowdon more reliably. Flash Cannon eliminates weakened Clefable and other Fairy-type Pokemon, but both Flamethrower and Poison Jab (with a Rash nature) should be ok as well. Life Orb provides it with a more consistent (albeit smaller) power boost. Bulletproof is the ability of choice because, unlike Choice Specs Kommo-o, this set doesn't benefit as much from getting free switches on Amoonguss, as that can Clear Smog Autotomize boosts and doesn't immediately drop to Kommo-o's moves, while getting switch in opportunities on Pokemon such as Gengar becomes a lot more valuable. However, Overcoat surely has its perks as well, so it might be worthy of a slash.

That aside, this is looking pretty good, and the other QC members have already pointed out the few points that needed to be improved on. Let me know whenever this is ready!

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this in the past, and I apologize for not making it official before, but Kommo-o needs to be given an Autotomize set, as that is one of the clear niches it has over the other Dragon-type Pokemon in UU. Here's how it should look like:

[SET]
name: Autotomize
move 1: Autotomize
move 2: Clanging Scales
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Flash Cannon
item: Life Orb / Fightinium Z
ability: Bulletproof
nature: Modest

It's been a while since I've last used this Pokemon, so there might be some outdated stuff in the set I've proposed. It's up to you to give it a couple of test runs and see if everything still works fine. Anyway, with more and more Mega Aerodactyl dropping Aerial Ace from their sets, this Kommo-o becomes a glorified offense killer, outrunning everything commonly seen on that team archetype and possessing enough bulk to tank most priority moves. Life Orb vs. Z stone is a matter of whether its team already has a different Z move user or not. Fight Z guarantees the kill on most Scizor variants and nukes stuff like Hippowdon more reliably. Flash Cannon eliminates weakened Clefable and other Fairy-type Pokemon, but both Flamethrower and Poison Jab (with a Rash nature) should be ok as well. Life Orb provides it with a more consistent (albeit smaller) power boost. Bulletproof is the ability of choice because, unlike Choice Specs Kommo-o, this set doesn't benefit as much from getting free switches on Amoonguss, as that can Clear Smog Autotomize boosts and doesn't immediately drop to Kommo-o's moves, while getting switch in opportunities on Pokemon such as Gengar becomes a lot more valuable. However, Overcoat surely has its perks as well, so it might be worthy of a slash.

That aside, this is looking pretty good, and the other QC members have already pointed out the few points that needed to be improved on. Let me know whenever this is ready!
Thanks, Pearl. I'll implement the first check later today, and yours tomorrow, I'm busy a little busy with school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)