Online Competition Kanto x Alola Regional Rumble

Reading this thread has me happy as hell that I didn't transfer over all of my competitive Pokémon and ditto from AS to Sun for tutoring reasons. To think I'll actually have time to compete in this competition properly, unlike the last one. How useful would Jolteon be anyways for this competition? It's fast and my favorite eeveelution but from what I've seen so far, the go to electric type looks like Zapdos.

Also shout out to the one bringing up scarf Gengar, I can't resist using it. Lol
Haven't seen Jolteon much, but I suppose it would fill the same role as Tapu Koko as a speedy special pivot, except weaker ( no Electric Terrain ) so I wouldn't recommend using it unless you really want to. And I'd still vouch for Tapu Koko as the best Electric Type, honestly.

How useful would Jolteon be anyways for this competition? It's fast and my favorite eeveelution but from what I've seen so far, the go to electric type looks like Zapdos.
I agree with
Haven't seen Jolteon much, but I suppose it would fill the same role as Tapu Koko as a speedy special pivot, except weaker ( no Electric Terrain ) so I wouldn't recommend using it unless you really want to..
most of the time the buff from Electric Terrain is going to make Koko better. Jolteon does have a couple of cool traits that make it not totally outclassed if you do want to use it though. Higher base Special Attack lets it deal more damage than Koko with non-Electric attacks, it learns Shadow Ball so it can hit Marowak-A while keeping HP Ice, and Volt Absorb is helpful against opposing Electrics. Something like this is probably best:

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

This would be my first tour in a while, specifically my first of Gen 7, so I'll wait until the viability rankings come out before I Transfer/breed anything.

The only thing transfer that I'm considering here is a Knock Off Weavile, either sashed or banded and my Garchomp. I haven't had much time with this gen anyway, so looks like I'll just play a few matches for the mega stones unless I start off hot right out the gate.

Edit: Finally got to test on showdown.

The only question becomes Mudsdale or Marowak as my secondary ground type.

Mud gives me a chance against a set up Minior, but Maro resist fairy and absorbs electric which will be a necessity with the Tupu's every where.

The only thing that leans me towards the latter is that I need a fire type. Thing is, he hits like a wet noodle with no thick club.

Mudsdale has slightly more flexibility.

Last edited:
This would be my first tour in a while, specifically my first of Gen 7, so I'll wait until the viability rankings come out before I Transfer/breed anything.

The only thing transfer that I'm considering here is a Knock Off Weavile, either sashed or banded and my Garchomp. I haven't had much time with this gen anyway, so looks like I'll just play a few matches for the mega stones unless I start off hot right out the gate.

Edit: Finally got to test on showdown.

The only question becomes Mudsdale or Marowak as my secondary ground type.

Mud gives me a chance against a set up Minior, but Maro resist fairy and absorbs electric which will be a necessity with the Tupu's every where.

The only thing that leans me towards the latter is that I need a fire type. Thing is, he hits like a wet noodle with no thick club.

Mudsdale has slightly more flexibility.
You should be worried about Cloyster as the Shell Smash user, not Minior. In the same vein, both Marowak and Mudsdale have a bad time against Cloyster, but Marowak can atleast try and cripple it with Will-O-Wisp as it sets Shell Smash up whereas Mudsdale is completely helpless. Also, Mudsdale is 100% walled by Celeestela, which is everywhere along side the Tapus; Mudsdale cannot answer both at the same time, Marowak sort of can.

Also, why wouldn't you give Marowak a Thick Club? That allows you to forgo (mostly) ATK EVs in order to increase its overall bulk which does better for Marowak than possibly any other item. Marowak > Mudsdale if all you really need is an Electric sponge. And like I said before, Minior is so, so uncommon that it is almost a non-factor so you can get it off your head.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is the team lock as soon as you register your team or when the competition starts?
The game prompts you to lock your battle box when you register but you can just choose "no" and then do it when you want to play your first battle, so you can leave it as late as you want.

You should be worried about Cloyster as the Shell Smash user, not Minior. In the same vein, both Marowak and Mudsdale have a bad time against Cloyster, but Marowak can atleast try and cripple it with Will-O-Wisp as it sets Shell Smash up whereas Mudsdale is completely helpless. Also, Mudsdale is 100% walled by Celeestela, which is everywhere along side the Tapus; Mudsdale cannot answer both at the same time, Marowak sort of can.

Also, why wouldn't you give Marowak a Thick Club? That allows you to forgo (mostly) ATK EVs in order to increase its overall bulk which does better for Marowak than possibly any other item. Marowak > Mudsdale if all you really need is an Electric sponge. And like I said before, Minior is so, so uncommon that it is almost a non-factor so you can get it off your head.
Yeah, I just saw Minior wasn't even in the top 30 of the alola friendly, but the fact that Cloyster is still the most popular shell smasher doesn't surprise me.

I have a few pokes I can bank over just in case I don't have time to catch Celesteela on my current cart.

And the only item I want to run on Maro is assault vest, but as you stated, the lost in power is hardly worth it.

Yeah, I just saw Minior wasn't even in the top 30 of the alola friendly, but the fact that Cloyster is still the most popular shell smasher doesn't surprise me.
Just because it's not in the Top 30 does not mean it does not have a niche - Gengar is stupidly anti-meta and it's not there either.

That being said, Minior has a good reason for not being there - Cloyster is better here, particularly since it can use a Z-Crystal (Minior wastes Acrobatics that way).

I want to try using Specs Alakazam in this competition, as it hits like a 20 story building. What do you think?
That you'd be asking why no using Tapu Lele then.

Magic Guard Focus Sash is a better set, though, for simple reasons - if Specs Zam cannot OHKO, it goes down, and 2 hits with Sash > 1 hit with Specs :P

You also get freedom to switch moves and if you get one through VC you can score a surprise KO with Counter.

Anyone else try unburden Clefable? I have only a couple of times and it's been pretty up and down.
Yes, Unaware Clafable is solid. I've topped the ladder at some point with it before I tried some dumb stuff and tilted. Magic Guard Clafable is pretty mediocre btw, there aren't many things that rely on residual damage to win the match so more often than not you're not really taking advantage of it. However, there are a butt-ton of set-up sweepers whose days are ruined by Unaware Clefable--the likes of Cloyster, Salamence & Mimikyu just straight up lose, whereas they would be able to brute force through the Magic Guard set. There are some merits to using Magic Guard, though: you beat stall, although stall teams are few and far between so take that as you will.

Alola-Muk is a problem no matter which set you're running, though, so you must pack a really solid answer to it or not bring Clefable at all.

Last edited:
Yes, Unaware Clafable is solid. I've topped the ladder at some point with it before I tried some dumb stuff and tilted. Magic Guard Clafable is pretty mediocre btw, there aren't many things that rely on residual damage to win the match so more often than not you're not really taking advantage of it. However, there are a butt-ton of set-up sweepers whose days are ruined by Unaware Clefable--the likes of Cloyster, Salamence & Mimikyu just straight up lose, whereas they would be able to brute force through the Magic Guard set. There are some merits to using Magic Guard, though: you beat stall, although stall teams are few and far between so take that as you will.

Alola-Muk is a problem no matter which set you're running, though, so you must pack a really solid answer to it or not bring Clefable at all.
Completely agree about Alola-Muk, I've actually been running with Justified Lucario for that very reason. There are other steel type I've considered due to far greater bulk but the success I've had with hitting swords dance while carrying life orb has really been quite destructive. Though I'm not entirely comfortable with it just yet, would be cool to see if anyone else is having any luck with a fable-cario team.

Kartana @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Detect
- Sacred Sword
- Substitute
can someone help me on my team
I wouldn't play Sub with Sash.
Probably I'd go with a more bulky investment in that case (as Kartana isn't very bulky, your Subs aren't the best to get extra turns if you don't have any EVs in Def/SpD).

Else if you want to use Sash, just use something else instead of Substitute: I expecially like Detect even in singles to scout for moves in case I want to switch out Kartana or stop an incoming non-supereffective Z-Move.
Another idea could be Swords Dance, thanks to Sash you should be able to get a boost from it and start killing the opposing team with ease (just be wary of priority moves and such if you are going to setup).

Btw I got a team too for critique for the upcoming competition: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/kanto-x-alola-competition-nidosweep-team.3598165/
Could anyone give me some tips on it? Is Nidoking too bit of a stretch to build around?

oh wait
Kartana @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Detect
- Sacred Sword
- Substitute

Garchomp @ Groundium Z
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 3 SpA
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Protect
- Flamethrower

Tapu Lele @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 236 HP / 248 Def / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Protect

Mandibuzz @ Psychic Seed
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 236 HP / 244 SpD / 28 Spe
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Tailwind
- Roost
- Taunt

Arcanine @ Mago Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 244 HP / 60 Atk / 4 Def / 148 SpD / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Protect
- Extreme Speed

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sky Drop
- Protect

can anyone help me on my team
I think it's better for you to post in the RMT section of the forum (as I did with my team for this Online Competition), or in the Teambuilding Thread (but mostly this is for Battle Spot Singles and Doubles).

This thread should be more about general discussion and such (not sure tho, as there are no explicit rules in the OP). Mods will help you better if you have any questions regarding where to post teams and discussion, just PM them :)

Anyway, if posting teams here is okay, I'd suggest you to give some extra descriptions to the pokemons and sets you are using, that way we can help you out better!

12-3 for the first day, one match loss was to a lower ranked trainer with an unconventional team? Overestimated them, switched into a t-bolt that paralyzed my Arcanine when assuming they'd go for flash cannon. That paralysis sealed my fate, hate that shit. Lol

Hope y'all are having better luck!

So far Day 1 has been great, went 12-3 to start off the tour. The 3 losses were due to some Quick Claw bullshit, a dumb misclick on my part, & being greedy vs. a Kartana.

As for mons that are recurring: Mimikyu, Chomp, & Gyarados

Good luck to everybody in the tour...

Have yet to finish today's battles (so far I'm 7-3, falling to a surprise Scarf Magnezone, a double FAIL of mine and a Cloyster) but I'm noticing a lot of Dragonites.

I know that Extreme Speed is cool and that but... so far it's the most common Pokemon I've seen.

And perhaps Extreme Speed is so cool one of those Dragonites had no STAB whatsoever (Dragon Dance/Extreme Speed/Earthquake/Fire Punch with a Firium Z). The Z-Move did not even deal 50% at +1 vs an unboosted Porygon-Z under Aurora Veil.

UPDATE: 10-5 in the end. Need to think of a plan vs random Scarfers. A Nihilego and another Gengar owned me.

Last edited:
1 Win 1 lose atm.

Lost due to Cursed body Gengar:

My Choice Scarfed Garchomp uses earthquake, KO's Gengar gets disabled and struggles to death against Tapu Lele...

EDIT: 4 Wins 5 Loses atm. Lost a match due to a misclick and a crit.

Last edited:
I went 9-6 with a team that went sub 0.500 in Battle Spot. I guess the team is much better when I don't have to deal with threats like Charizard X and Volcarona

Overall, a lot of haxy stuff on both sides. It seems like every single TBolt that touches AV Muk paralyzes it, but maybe it's just because Muk switches into so many TBolts that some of them are bound to para. Then there was a lead Marowak vs opponent Cloyster and I Flare Blitzed burned and killed the Shell Smashing Cloyster that otherwise would have swept me

I basically lost to all the teams that looked like they had thought put into them (ie good teams) and won against the rest (ie people who watch the anime and wanted to copy Ash)

The highlight for me was seeing Catastropika. Very underpowered considering a) Pikachu sucks b) you have to give up the Light Ball. But it was cool seeing it. The lowlight was losing Koko turn 1 to Scarf Krook. It was intimidate Scarf Krook and Intimidate shoulda gone off before Electric terrain, so there was no reason I shouldn't have seen it coming...

I'm using Celesteela (shed shell autotomize), Clefable (magic guard leftovers CM 2 attacks), AV Muk, Alolan Marowak, CB Dodrio, Grassium Koko. Dodrio looked like fun this generation but it's sucked badly for me :(

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
As expected this tour has been really similar to the friendly which is kinda disappointing because I like to play in comps with unique banlists. I've done 23 battles and I've 1630ish with 5 losses I think. I'm using the most standard team ever and nothing has really surprised me so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)