Kangaskhan

Name: Kangaskhan
Type: Normal
Ablities: Early Bird: Pokemon will wake up in half the time.
Scrappy: A ghost-type foe can be hit by normal and fighting attacks.
Inner Focus: This pokemon will not flinch. (dream world)
Stats:
HP: 105
Att: 95
Def: 80
SpA: 40
SpD: 80
Spe: 90
Code:
Level Up Moves
1. Comet Punch
1. Leer
7. Fake OUt
10. Tail Whip
13. Bite
19. Double Hit
22. Rage
25. Mega Punch
31. Little by Little
34. Dizzy Punch
37. Crunch
43. Endure
46. Outrage
49. Sucker Punch
55. Reversal

TMs/HMs

TM05 Roar
TM06 Toxic
TM07 Hail
TM10 Hidden Power
TM11 Sunny Day
TM13 Ice Beam
TM14 Blizzard
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration
TM22 Solarbeam
TM24 Thunderbolt
TM25 Thunder
TM26 Earthquake
TM27 Return
TM28 Dig
TM30 Shadow Ball
TM31 Brick Break
TM32 Double Team 
TM35 Flame Thrower
TM37 Sandstorm
TM38 Fire Blast
TM39 Rock Tomb
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM46 Attract
TM48 Sing A Round
TM52 Focus Blast
TM56 Fling
TM59 Incinerate
TM65 Shadow Claw
TM67 Vengeance
TM68 Giga Impact
TM78 Level Ground
TM80 Cheer Up
TM87 Swagger
TM90 Substitute
TM94 Rock Smash
HM01 Cut
HM03 Surf
HM04 Strength

Egg Moves
Stomp
Foresight
Focus Energy
Disable
Counter
Crush Claw
Double-edge
Endeavor
Hammer Arm
Focus Punch
Trump Card
Uproar
Overhead Throw
Well here she is, the Mongolian kangaroo is back for another round in the ring. Only now she's found that her average stats and lack of a great movepool are hurting her standings even more. Yes its a grim new world for Kanga, while some of her compatriots got new and improved abilities... she got inner focus, which while possibly ok on a lead set, isn't very effective. She still suffers from having an extensive special movepool, that extends on for pages, but can't abuse it for crap with that 40 SpA. Still, Kanga did get a few unique selling points, and while it most likely will not upgrade her status at all, it still gives her a bit of a niche in the lower tiers.

Wall of Sorts
Kangaskhan @ Leftovers
252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Att
Impish

Scrappy
Substitute
Overhead Throw
Return
Toxic / Rest / Sucker punch

Kanga is one of the few pokemon with access to the interesting move overhead throw, which lets her be a somewhat decent phaser. Her main selling points for this are her decent bulk, and her ability scrappy. She is one of 2 pokemon who can abuse a scrappy overhead throw (the other being the considerably less bulky exploud). The plan is simple, set up a sub, and toss opponents around, and hopefully you'll have a couple layers of entry hazards kicking around to make her job that much easier. The last slot is filler, stall heal or a somewhat ok priority move... The elemental punches, focus punch, and wish are all illegal with overhead throw unfortunately. This set is hampered however, by the fact that plenty of other pokemon got the equally useful move dragon tail, which isn't nullified by anything. But still, she gets the tools to do it right. Another option it has, which it had last gen as well, is to just throw roar on their instead. This lets it run wish or focus punch, but leaves it vulnerable to taunters.

Don't be sad, Cheer Up
Kangashkan @ Life Orb
252 Att, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Jolly
Scrappy

Cheer Up
Return / Double Edge
Earthquake
Fire Punch / Sucker Punch

So ya, kanga got a somewhat ok stat up move this gen. Now it can use its decent bulk, speed, and attack, to try to maybe sweep. Scrappy is still probably the best option, as it lets you hit ghosts and retain the elemental punches. So you got your stab, and your coverage options. One may be tempted to use fire blast, as with a neutral nature and no investment at +1, you can 2HKO 252/0 skarmory most of the time, and usually OHKO 252/0 scizor... but really its still pathetic damage even then. Scizor is still OHKO'd by fire punch after a boost anyways. 40 SpA, just don't cut it.

Lead on Momma
Kangaskhan @ Leftovers / Life Orb / Focus Sash
252 Att, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Jolly / Hasty
Inner Focus / Scrappy

Fake Out
Return / Counter
Sucker Punch / Endeavor
Earthquake / Sucker Punch

Kanga was a decent enough lead back in the lower tiers of gen 4, and inner focus helps somewhat to beat fake out leads that don't expect it. I kind of merged 2 sets into one here, so for the first one it could just be an all out attacking lead to try to get some damage done, the other is a more situational lead, that trys to destroy one opponent with counter + sash + fake out, and then cripple another hopefully with endeavor. Both sets aren't great, but I was just trying to point out a possible use for inner focus.

So that's about it for the godzilla like mother. It looks to be yet another pokemon that will never see the light of day aside from novelty or if there is a potential NU tier. Like most cool pokemon, it'll live on in our hearts, but not on our teams.

I'm pretty sure Wish and Overhead Throw is an illegal combination on Kangaskhan, since one is an egg move and the other is an event move. Also, Dragon Tail does not force a switch if the Pokemon is behind a sub, just as the secondary effects of Flamethrower, Ice Beam etc cannot bypass substitutes. Given Dragon Tail's negative priority, Kangaskhan should have no problem resetting its sub before it can be PHazed out.

I'm pretty sure Wish and Overhead Throw is an illegal combination on Kangaskhan, since one is an egg move and the other is an event move. Also, Dragon Tail does not force a switch if the Pokemon is behind a sub, just as the secondary effects of Flamethrower, Ice Beam etc cannot bypass substitutes. Given Dragon Tail's negative priority, Kangaskhan should have no problem resetting its sub before it can be PHazed out.
LoL.. doi that was kinda stupid on my part, I just went oooo wish fun fun. Thats been changed

And the point i was making is not that dragon tail will phaze her out per say... but more that there is a lot more competition in the phasing strategy, as walls like blastoise, meganium, and nidoqueen can phase in a similar fashion, with arguably better movepools / defensive stats to pull it off. Also, i believe it will force a switch if it breaks the sub (not 100% sure) although im pretty sure most dragon tails wont be breaking Kanga's sub anytime soon

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Illegal with Focus Punch too.

Quite disappointed with Kangaskhan, as she only won Overhead Throw, with is illegal with Wish and the Elemental Punches.

Here's a good support set for the lower tiers:

Kangaskhan@Leftovers
252 HP/252 Def/4 Atk
Impish
Early Bird
Toxic
Wish
Return
Yawn

Kanga faces competition in Exploud, who has Cheer Up, only 4 less base points of attack, and a viable special movepool and stat.

Kanga has more bulk and Wish. It should be using that.

Wonderoom only switches the defenses, if I recall correctly.

Could there be a speed phasing set? Something like Rest/SleepTalk/Roar/OverheadThrow?

Early Bird is nice for a set with Rest, but with so many hard hitters this gen, I think it will only work in the lower tiers.

breh

強いだね
Kanga faces competition in Exploud, who has Cheer Up, only 4 less base points of attack, and a viable special movepool and stat.

Kanga has more bulk and Wish. It should be using that.

wut

Have you ever honestly used Exploud? The only thing that it has over Kanga is decent SpA; even with this, I've always found Exploud to be a weakling more or less; 92 base attacking stats aren't that great and combine with its poor speed to cause a big problem: which choice item to attack. With Specs/Band, Exploud is slow. And I mean really slow. With Scarf, it's just got underwhelmind power.

Really sucks that it didn't get encourage; hell it was probably one of the best candidates for it in general besides Nidoking...

Anyway, what Kanga should be focusing on is perfect two-move coverage, combined with the sheer power of Double Edge. A Band or LO set is certainly viable with Scrappy, which allows it to hit every pokemon for neutral damage with Double Edge and Drain Punch. In fact, Drain Punch is a major boon to Kanga, giving it a way to recover its health while attacking with a moderately strong move that rounds out coverage. Add EQ and Sucker Punch and you've got a powerful pokemon.

Again, although this isn't particularly innovative, Early Bird Rest also works quite well. I recall running something like Double Edge / EQ / Sucker Punch on my pre-Heracross UU team; it worked well there.

Honestly there's not much that Kanga can do this gen that's different from the last. It's had Roar since 3rd gen IIRC (and what idiot taunts a Kangashkan? That's just asking for Double Edge in the face) and Cheer Up is really a lackluster setup move in general. Inner Focus is (while incredibly ironic) more or less useless to Kangashkan in OU, but may have use in UU as an... anti-anti lead? lol

Disable may deserve mention when used as a wall.

And who can possibly pass both?
Gen 4 Poliwrath. Irrelevant though. herp derp nvm

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
what about a subpuncher?
kangaskahan W/leftovers/lifeorb scrappy
Adamant
evs 212 hp 252atck 44spe
Substitute
focus punch
sucker punch/drain punch/work up
return/double edge
evs allow kangaskhan to make 101 subs have max power and outspeed some slower pokemon Stab return is more powerful than focus punch just to note. this set allows kangaskhan to combine subsucker and subpunch together to make a potent combo. you can run drain punch or work up over sucker punch if you dont think you need priority.

or an attacker?
kangaskhan W/life orb
jolly
evs:4hp 252atck 252spe
double edge
drain punch
earthquake
sucker punch/work up
this set is just the gen 4 attacker set with drain punch over hammer arm, double-edge and drain punch have good synergy and together get perfect coverage. earthquake is to hit steels that take neutral damage from drain punch work up is to boost stats while sucker punch is to get the jump on faster pokemon.

overall i think kangaskhan is definatly viable this gen it can take a hit and hit back a set utilizing counter could also work and i will post one later if i can.

tehy

Banned deucer.
I'd run double edge over return with life orb, or lefties with return, and obviously scrappy, but that's an awesome set.

Also, what about a sub/work up/focus punch/return set? That way, if they switch out, you could get a work up and a sub.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'd run double edge over return with life orb, or lefties with return, and obviously scrappy, but that's an awesome set.

Also, what about a sub/work up/focus punch/return set? That way, if they switch out, you could get a work up and a sub.
good ideas but i think sucker punch is still a good follow-up/revenge kill attack

Molk

Godlike Usmash
Also double edge and drain punch have good synergy together ,having perfect coverage due to scrappy while drain punch heals off double-edge/lifeorb recoil.

How about a RU set?

[SET]
name: Sub Disable
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Disable
move 3: Chip Away / Frustration\Return
move 4: (Filler) Drain Punch / Roar / Toxic
item: leftovers
ability: Scrappy
nature: Jolly
evs: 212 HP / 120 Att / 176 Spe

The set works a lot like gengar's set in OU, although Kangaskhan doesn't have as many immunities as Gengar, it only has one weakness (fighting) and in RU there aren't many fighting types, heck I don't think there are any fighting types that out speed Kangaskhan in the tier, except maybe Speed Boost Combusken.

Pretty easy to use really, set up a substitute as your opponent attacks you with a fighting move then disable it, it's unlikely they'll carry more then one more fighting move, then proceed to either attack or use another support move like Roar or Toxic.

The Nature and EVs allow you to outspeed positive base 80 pokemon, mainly Gallade.

Disable works through substitute if your worried about pokemon that you substitute + focus punch like Golurk.

if you op for drain punch, it gives Kangaskhan perfect coverage combined with scrappy allowing you to hit ghost, it also has the nice secondary effect of recovering your HP allowing to set up more substitutes.

Kangaskhan can set up 101 HP substitutes blocking pokemon like clefable using seismic toss.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
How about a RU set?

[SET]
name: Sub Disable
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Disable
move 3: Chip Away / Frustration\Return
move 4: (Filler) Drain Punch / Roar / Toxic
item: leftovers
ability: Scrappy
nature: Jolly
evs: 212 HP / 120 Att / 176 Spe

The set works a lot like gengar's set in OU, although Kangaskhan doesn't have as many immunities as Gengar, it only has one weakness (fighting) and in RU there aren't many fighting types, heck I don't think there are any fighting types that out speed Kangaskhan in the tier, except maybe Speed Boost Combusken.

Pretty easy to use really, set up a substitute as your opponent attacks you with a fighting move then disable it, it's unlikely they'll carry more then one more fighting move, then proceed to either attack or use another support move like Roar or Toxic.

The Nature and EVs allow you to outspeed positive base 80 pokemon, mainly Gallade.

Disable works through substitute if your worried about pokemon that you substitute + focus punch like Golurk.

if you op for drain punch, it gives Kangaskhan perfect coverage combined with scrappy allowing you to hit ghost, it also has the nice secondary effect of recovering your HP allowing to set up more substitutes.

Kangaskhan can set up 101 HP substitutes blocking pokemon like clefable using seismic toss.
Why not go for subpunch while your at it? otherwise amazing set ,Deserves credit:toast:.

^^I agree, a friend of mine who only likes 1st Gen pokemon was using a subpunch Kangaskhan to great effect. I believe he ran this set:

Kangaskhan @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/6 HP
>Substitute
>Focus Punch
>Chip Away
>Drain Punch

This set is a great set that works pretty much the same as other subpunchers: Switch in, use Substitute on the switch, and then Focus Punch away. This set has a lot of surprise factor and packs some serious punch.

Chip Away has rather limited usefulness, since it doesn't do much damage in general unless the opponent is Curse Umbreon or something of that sort. Even then, it still can't do as much.

EDIT: 998 posts oh gosh

Molk

Godlike Usmash
^^I agree, a friend of mine who only likes 1st Gen pokemon was using a subpunch Kangaskhan to great effect. I believe he ran this set:

Kangaskhan @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/6 HP
>Substitute
>Focus Punch
>Chip Away
>Drain Punch

This set is a great set that works pretty much the same as other subpunchers: Switch in, use Substitute on the switch, and then Focus Punch away. This set has a lot of surprise factor and packs some serious punch.

212 hp evs gives it 101 subs so seismic toss takes two turns to break a sub, just some advice.

Out of all Early Bird pokemkon Khan pulls the rest combo off best. Most life, highest defense, and second highest special defense (Ledian being first... Fail). On a baton pass stall team, a passed ingrain and a focus sash can lead to a very strong wall. And Khan has Reversal....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)