It's Alive!

Jk, NU is deader than dead. Doesn't stop some silly people from playing it though. After I found out I sucked at the other metas, such as LC, UU and OU, I decided to give good old NU another run. I wanted to use some stuff I haven't before, so yea, here's my latest favorite team. Song names as nicknames, because I'm bad at this stuff.

THE TEAM:

Young Blood (Garbodor) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Seed Bomb
- Explosion

Suicide lead Garbo was recommended to me by scorp shortly after Scolipede and Jynx got banned and it surely doesn't disappoint. More often than not it gets up 2 layers of spikes of some sort, or 1 layer + a boom to the face of something. It actually outspeeds a lot of the meta, so if you really want something dead/almost dead and you can afford only having 1 layer up, it's nice to be able to explode and deal with a threat. Seed Bomb does a ton to common rock setters such as Golem and Seismitoad, whom might try to KO Garbodor instead of going for their hazard, so it can be used to somewhat prevent SR to be laid down. Overall it does its job very well and is a crucial part of the team.

L'Enfant Sauvage (Mawile) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch

SD Mawile is a seriously underrated threat in NU. Punishes slow teams for being slow and faster teams don't like the powerful priority or the paralysis support we'll get to later. It's pretty much the standard analysis set, with a STAB, Sucker Punch and Ice Punch for coverage on random Tangelas (the gayest mon in NU). Mawile's typing is really awesome to say the least, with great resistances, allowing it to switch into a lot of stuff and get a boost to start the frenzy. Its coverage isn't the greatest, as Sucker Punch is necessary to do anything against offensive teams, but the sheer power of LO + Sheer Force boosted attacks kind of makes up for it and Iron Head still does a lot to frailer resists.

Creeping Death (Torterra) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Synthesis

Of course my team needs a Stealth Rocker, and Torterra is a great candidate for the job. Powerful STABs coming off of great Attack stat, awesome physical bulk (lives some Ice Punches), a recovery move and also the aforementioned entry hazard. I chose Torterra as a means of checking Golurk and it does that very well, coming into everything but Ice Punch and outspeeding for the KO. It's STAB coverage is extremely lackluster though, failing to score a neutral hit on most Flying-type Pokemon in the tier and it's typing isn't great defensively (even though resisting EdgeQuake is nice). Torterra's ability to stay healthy throughout the match and set up hazards repeatedly should we ever run into a team with spinner is invaluable to the team, as it really appreciates its tanking capabilities and switchin opportunities.

Silver Bride (Rotom-Frost) @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard

Rotom-F has been seriously underappreciated for the whole time I've played NU. For most of the time it was outshined by Jynx as an offensive Ice-type, but now that that's gone, it's Refridgerator's time to shine. ChestoResto is the one set I haven't used before, so I decided to give it a go and see how it fares. STAB BlizzBolt is simply awesome, as only 2 things resist it in NU - other Fridges and Piloswine. Given that Piloswine can't really hurt Rotom back and it doesn't appreciate the WoW burn at all, there is basically only 1 offensive mon that can safely come in on Rotom-F's attacks. Both its attacks are quite powerful as well, as can be expected from base 120 and 95 attacks. I don't have Volt Switch on this set, because I don't want to be forced to switch out when facing bulky waters, such as Alomomola (second gayest mon in NU). Rest catches people off guard, as Rotom is given free turns to use it more often than one would expect.

Miss Conception (Musharna)@ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SDef
Bold Nature
- Moonlight
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell

I don't even know what to say about Mushy. Checks half the tier, paralysis support makes Mawile godly, it's a great cleric, hits decently hard without investment etc. Everyone knows what it does, I don't want to beat a dead horse really. I hope no one is mad O:).

Blashyrkh (Swanna) @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Hurricane
- Rain Dance
- Rest

We all know how incredibly potent weather sweepers are in NU. Ludicolo is one of the biggest offensive threats and RD Seismitoad is still flying under the radar. Swanna is different from them though. Instead of rain boosting its speed, it boosts one of its STABs and makes the other one 100% accurate. When that move also has 120 base power, you know things are serious. With rain up it can also abuse Hydration with Rest and general status absorbing (some people toxic it in rain, come on). Rain boosted Surf hits very hard even with seemingly mediocre 87 base special attack, but that's only 3 points less than Ludicolo. Arguably the best thing about Swanna is its godly 97 speed tier, as it outspeeds like everything, especially now that people started running slower mons than they did in the Pede+Jynx meta.

Importable:
Young Blood (Garbodor) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Seed Bomb
- Explosion

L'Enfant Sauvage (Mawile) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch

Creeping Death (Torterra) @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk / 76 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Wood Hammer
- Earthquake
- Synthesis

Silver Bride (Rotom-Frost) @ Chesto Berry
Timid Nature
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard

Miss Conception (Musharna) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SDef
Bold Nature
- Moonlight
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell

Blashyrkh (Swanna) @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Hurricane
- Rain Dance
- Rest

Shoutouts:
Everyone in the NU room on PS!, except the people I don't like. You're a fun bunch and thanks for keeping the tier alive for so long.

I'm sure the team has a million flaws, so rip it apart please!

Last edited:
Well, Aladyyn. This team doesn't look threatening but when i saw your ladder rank yesterday with this team, fear of God struck me. I dont know whether it is the player or team but w/e. Being the type-crazy, OCD kinda player like i am. I'm gonna suggest a few changes to improve type-synergy.

The Problem
3 weakness to fire, 3 weakness to ground.
The Solution
Quite simple really. I believe you have chosen the wrong rotom form
Swap Rotom-Frost for Rotom-Fan.
This will give you a vital immunity to ground mons and takes away the fire weakness of having rotom frost.

Silver Bride's Sister (Rotom-Fan) @ Chesto Berry
Timid Nature
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Air Slash

Now, the only thing sitting their is Torterra. Don't get me wrong, i <3 the mon but in this team, it looks kinda...er... useless? And anyway, im supposed to make this team great type-synergy wise so yeh. I would run an offensive Seis set with swift swim to clean up what swanna cant. Also a decent ludi check too with sludge wave.

With both these changes:
0 weakness' to : steel, water, flying dragon, poison
1 weakness to: fighting, bug, ghost, fire, grass, electric,psychic, ice, dark
2 weakness to: ground and rock ONLY
3 weakness to: ~~~~~~NOTHING~~~~~~~

Much better team synergy typing wise with these 2 mons.

Seis for Torterra

Mon Pere @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Hydro Pump
- Stealth Rocks
- Toxic

Hope i gave you some ideas;
<3
HJAD (js, you must know how i love type charts )

This team has a huge problem with the Flying and Normal types that roam the tier. Swellow literally 2HKOes your entire team and you have nothing to out speed it barring Sucker Punch which does less than half of Swellow's HP. This team is also using a suicide lead Garbordor which is a dead weight vs teams with a spinner.

To deal with the flying/normal issue I first suggest that you change Sheer Force to Intimidate on Mawile (I have no idea if the moveset is legal cause im on my phone). This will allow you to avoid the 2HKO from Swellow and allow you to set up SDs more easily.

I also suggest that you change Rotom-Frost to Fan and change the set to the standard Scarf set. I believ that every non balanced team needs a Scarfer or a bunch of priority to deal with set up mons. Your team is pretty slow and the only thing to stop fast set up sweepers is Sucker Punch.

Finally, I believe you should change Torterra to Golurk to at least try to stop Spinners not named Wartortle. I recognize that this makes your team very Golurk weak but with EV spread of 76 HP/252 ATK/180 SPD you should be able to outspeed most Golurk variants and kill them. The moveset should be Shadow Punch, Ice Punch, EQ and SR with Iron Fist.

Sorry for not bolding my suggestions or organzing them in anyway at all.#lazy

well, not really a rate, but i just want to say some things. first up: you know, i love the epic combo golurk+mawile as they provide almost perfect synergy. then, maybe swap swanna for ludic or something? you have bug and flying resists and most of your team is kinda slow. ludicolo would make up for that and is also a better weather abuser imo. again: just suggestions of course, i don't really know how to rate.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

suggested changes:

Golurk @ Leftovers

Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 Atk / 80 HP / 176 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch

Ludicolo @ Life Orb

EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance

What is with me getting jumped in terms of rates nowadays..Its like I've lost my touch. Anyways, Cool Team as always aladyyn, definitely a fun one! I love spikes stacking offense, and this team is no different. This team is very weak to Ludicolo, as your only check Swanna is outsped and decimated after rocks in the rain, and is thus irrelevant. Another major threat I see is Charizard, who essentially 2HKO's your entire team with little to no issue. A niche pokemon which could cause you serious trouble is Ninjask, who could potentially set up all over Garb who can over put up some spikes. Any sweeper basically fucks you over, as your offensive team lacks a revenge killer for threats such as DD Fraxure, SS Carracosta, SS Gorebyss, etc who all 6-0 you with ease.

Simply put, I want you to consider Rock Blast over toxic spikes, as while the pressure helps you greatly, being able to elimintate Ninjask first turn is pretty cool, and not having things like SubDisable Haunter set up all over your face is definitely a plus. Its up to you though, since Toxic Spikes are important to this teams success.

Looking over your team, the easiest fix is to simply run Rain Dance Mantine over Swanna. The key here is the extra special defense, which lets you at least force out charizard once, as well as check Ludicolo much better with better offensive presence. You still have the same effective typing so that you do not lose synergy, but it eases your team against Ludicolo and acts as a much more reliable pivot. You may want to run Leftovers over Life Orb, as you really do need Mantine to fall back on for the preinstated threats.

My final comment is to run Choice Scarf Rotom-F, since your team has 0 methods to deal with Gorebyss, Carracosta, and other setup sweepers. A scarf Rotom gives you the assurance you need that you will be able to confidently deal with such threatning sweepers, who would blitz through you otherwise. On top of this, your team has difficulty breaking through stall, so a trickscarf could ease your job.

I LOVE MAWILE 2 <3 Btw its not named chomp chain smh. ILY ALADYYN MY BOO <3

Mantine @ Leftovers / Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Rain Dance
- Air Slash
- Ice Beam / Hidden Power [Electric] / Hidden Power [Grass]

Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Blizzard / Hidden Power [Ice]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Trick

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hello Aladyyn, Brawlfest pretty much fixed all the major problems in your team so I'll just make some minor changes.

Firstly Mawile should be running 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe with a Jolly nature. This allows Mawile to outrun standard Misdreavus and Mawile is squishy enough for the extra HP to not matter generally. In addition, Iron Head already 2HKOes Tangela after Stealth Rock so Ice Punch isn't really needed. I think Substitute is a much better option because this allows you to set up on Misdreavus that lack Foul Play, which can threaten your team quite a bit otherwise. Alternatively Thunderpunch can be used to get past Alomomola. Making either of these changes also means your team doesn't get wrecked by stall that badly.

Your team is also pretty weak to residual damage. The reason I say this is because assuming you make the switches to Mantine and Rotom-F, you're going to rely on them a lot. You need Mantine to constantly be healthy to check Charizard, Golurk, and Ludicolo, while Rotom-F needs to be at full health to revenge Carracosta. To prevent Stealth Rock, I suggest running Bullet Seed over Wood Hammer on Torterra. This allows you to KO Golem and Carracosta through Sturdy and threaten Seismitoad to prevent SR for at least the first half of the game. If you're worried about Custap Golem you can use the spread 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe but hardly anyone uses that nowadays. Edit Mantine and Rotom-F can deal with Golurk though so that's another point to consider

Finally, this is something really minor but you might want to consider Aftermath on Garbodor so you can get off chip damage on things like Braviary and Carracosta if you don't get to use Explosion. It's pretty much personal preference at this point but just a point for you to consider.

Last edited:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah seconding pretty much all of Brawlfest and scorp's changes, though I want to elaborate on the Mantine thing a bit. I think a bulkier offensive set with HP investment and Water Absorb would suit your team better than the standard RD set, since you're mainly using it to pivot into attacks from the likes of Charizard, Samurott, Ludicolo, etc so its longevity is more important than its sweeping capability. If you're paranoid about losing your main special attacker though you could always change your Mushy to a CM set to give you a more reliable wincon.

Also you might actually want to use Bullet Seed > Synthesis rather than Wood Hammer since it allows you to retain the ability to OHKO Golurk though that's more down to personal preference.

Mantine @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 64 HP / 252 SAtk / 192 Spd (outspeeds Gorebyss before a Smash)
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Air Slash
- Toxic
- Substitute / Hidden Power [Grass]

I JUST REALIZED ALADYYN IS BREAKING RULES WIHT MUSHY NEEDS 3 FULL LINES WAT A REBEL.

Also 2nd Dat Blast's set fuck my rain dance Blast im throwing that on all my mantine teams now tyty you just opened my eyes <3

OMG IM SO HYPER RIGHT NOW YAY :3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)