Board Game Ironfang Invasion: A Pathfinder Adventure Path [0/4 Players]

This thread was approved by Agape. If you have a complaint against this thread, please talk to him. Thank you.

When the PCs witness their hometown of Phaendar destroyed in the first steps of an all-out war of conquest, they begin a quest that leads them from desperate survival to heroes of legend as they push back against the monstrous Ironfang Legion. This ruthless army—helmed by the hobgoblin General Azaersi and empowered by an ancient artifact known as the Onyx Key—intends to claim both Nirmathas and Molthune while the isolated nations bicker with one another. The heroes' quest will take them deep into the fey-haunted Fangwood Forest, to the craggy bluffs of western Nirmathas, and delve deep into the earth to explore the Darklands. Can a small band of refugees grow into champions and push back against Azaersi's horde, or will the Ironfang Invasion give way to an Ironfang nation?

The Ironfang Invasion Adventure Path calls back to classic adventures, focusing on exploring the unknown and confronting the fantastic, all to stop a monstrous enemy from wiping out the good people of Nirmathas and Molthune. The PCs will delve into dungeons, siege well-guarded keeps, explore the wilderness, and battle some of the most iconic creatures from the 40-year history of fantasy RPGs.

Hello everybody, does the above campaign interest you? If so, you are in luck, because beginning next year, I will be hosting this campaign as GM.

What is Pathfinder?
In 1974 Gary Gygax invented Dungeons & Dragons. What he didn't know at the time was that he had created the first customizable element game, decades before other CEGs like Magic the Gathering or Pokemon. Gary Gygax wasn't worried about game balance, he just wanted a multi-person storytelling device. In his mind, no one would want to play as the rank and file Fighter, and the Wizard was of course the most powerful cause that is how it worked in the Lord of the Rings.

However, Dungeon & Dragons captured the hearts of pre-video game nerds everywhere. Over 35 years and 7 revisions, the game became much more balanced and interesting. Games like Skyrim and Fallout 3 only attempt to capture the thrill of tabletop gaming; an immersive experience where you are totally in control. Then Wizards of the Coasts made 4th Edition D&D with the primary intent of selling collectible miniatures, everyone hated this.

But like at the end of the Two Towers when Gandalf appears with a ton of guys on horseback to save Helm's Deep, the gaming company Paizo used the Open Gaming License to create Pathfinder, now hailed as the spiritual successor to Dungeons & Dragons. Come friends, whether you be an Elven Sorcerer, Dwarven Paladin, Gnomish Rogue, or so on, come slay dragons with us! Fame and treasure are on the horizon!

What is Ironfang Invasion?
Ironfang Invasion is an Adventure Path written by Paizo for a group of 4 adventurers. This adventure is designed as a long term campaign for players between levels 1-16. As the introduction above implies, you will be fighting a lot of hobgoblins, as well as many forest type creatures. Additionally, you will be in charge of a ragtag band of refugees fleeing the invasion.

How do I join?
For this campaign, I will be recruiting 4 players, who I will choose from among the list of people who sign up. Anyone who does not get in gets first priority as substitutes, should someone drop out. First, you will want to take a look at the required and recommended materials, and make sure you are able to follow the rules and run the required programs. Then, make a post here with your intent to join.

Required Materials:
Maxim Houserules: These are the house rules for the campaign. They are simple, but must be followed.
Tabletop Games Discord: This is the Discord channel that you must join to participate, as we will be using this for out of character conversations among other things. It is also the best way to contact me for this campaign.
Roll 20: This is the program we will be using for combat scenarios.

Recommended Materials:
Ironfang Invasion Player's Guide PDF: A free PDF that helps explain a bit about the campaign's background, and also gives highly recommended ideas about traits, races, and classes common to the area.
Pathfinder OGC: A database containing the vast majority of available options and rules for creating your Pathfinder character.
Archives of Nethys: A database similar to OGC. It has less overall info than OGC, but is in an arguably nicer format and does not have as many broken links.

When do we meet?
The campaign is currently intended to start around January 13th, 2018, and is planned to meet every week on Saturday. Currently the exact time has not been decided.

Signup Format:
Please follow this signup format when signing up for this game

Forum and/or Discord Name:
What class are you interested in playing?:
Please tell me a little bit about your roleplaying style:
What times can you make on Saturdays next year?:

Players:
Main:
None yet

Subs:
None yet

Last edited:
FMD
Whatever I can.
I don't tend to min-max and I generally tend towards flavour builds. I tend to falter if the game becomes directionless.
Basically any time on Saturday.

Last edited:
In
Form/Discord: Aura Guardian
Class: still deciding. Witch, Druid, Ranger, and Hunter are high on my list. Probably Witch
Style: Not sure what you mean. But, I prefer many things associated with this, combined in moderation. Rolls and roles, etc.
Saturdays: probably whenever.

Last edited:
Innit
Forum/Discord: Temperantia
Class: Gun Chemist
Style: I generally avoid being the center of attention, and let other players take the spotlight when it comes to RP, but can be more involved in situations where more than 1-2 people are directly involved.
Saturdays: The easiest would be after 5pm CST

Last edited:
In
Nick: Agape
Class: some sort of frontline
Style: 75% rollplayer over roleplayer, especially when playing online, which tends to suit rollplaying better (barring PbP). Delighted if RP happens. It is a fallacy to think that Roleplaying is somehow better or more desirable than rollplay. The best we can have is to be conscious of one's own playstyle and to make compromises with others. Benchmarking and theorycrafting is fine and fun, but have little bearing on actual play. Pathfinder is a railroaded game. Discussing about leadership etc is a waste of time. Every session should have some wrap-up so that the game and players can keep improving.
Saturdays: any time not 6-11PM GMT+2 (that's 1-5PM EST).

Eyyy

Forum and/or Discord Name: Hitmonleet
What class are you interested in playing?: Wizard or Arcanist
Please tell me a little bit about your roleplaying style: Really depends on how the other players play, leaning on the roleplayer side.
What times can you make on Saturdays next year?: pretty much any time.

Here to destroy the first come first served system

Name: Pyra
Class: Probably some sort of durable melee/(arcane) caster
RP style: I usually just follow the crowd, but I tend to use game mechanics rather than pure roleplay (not sure if this is what you wanted for an answer)
Times: Anytime after 12 PM EST and before 9-10PM EST

Last edited:

Toon

NOT A BUNNY!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I’m not late, you’re late

7man game y/y :v) kappaerino

Forum and/or Discord Name: Toon
What class are you interested in playing?: Ranged DPS or Rogue/Thief esque
Please tell me a little bit about your roleplaying style: More of a Rollplayer than a Roleplayer
What times can you make on Saturdays next year?: Anytime I have no life

Last edited:
Do note that RPG campaigns seldom take subs. Something has gone horribly wrong if a player drops. Also bringing a sub in is kinda meh. I encourage you (too) to sign up for real if you want to play. Signing up as a sub if you actually want to play is just false courtesy: people won't appreciate it. In fact it feeds the first come first served system which is ultimately bad for people's access to games.

./rant

Toon

NOT A BUNNY!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Do note that RPG campaigns seldom take subs. Something has gone horribly wrong if a player drops. Also bringing a sub in is kinda meh. I encourage you (too) to sign up for real if you want to play. Signing up as a sub if you actually want to play is just false courtesy: people won't appreciate it. In fact it feeds the first come first served system which is ultimately bad for people's access to games.

./rant
Fixed

Signups are now closed! Thank you to everyone who has signed up. Unfortunately, while I would like to bring all of you along, I cannot, due to balance reasons. Thus, to make things as fair as possible, I will be conducting a series of rolls using Random.org. Because we have received 7 applications, I've decided to do a 5 person campaign.
==========================================
Roll One:

1=FMD
2=Aura Guardian
3=Temperantia
4=Agape
5=Hitmonleet
6=Pyra
7=Toon

d7 Roll: 7 = Toon you're the first contestant on the price is right!

===========================================
Roll Two:

1=FMD
2=Aura Guardian
3=Temperantia
4=Agape
5=Hitmonleet
6=Pyra

d6 Roll: 1 = FMD you can now reopen those 8 tabs!

===========================================
Roll Three:

1=Aura Guardian
2=Temperantia
3=Agape
4=Hitmonleet
5=Pyra

d5 Roll: 5 = Pyra viva la revolution!

============================================
Roll Four:

1=Aura Guardian
2=Temperantia
3=Agape
4=Hitmonleet

d4 Roll: 2 = Temperantia here we go again!

==============================================
Roll Five:

1=Aura Guardian
2=Agape
3=Hitmonleet

d3 Roll: 1 = Aura Guardian the aura still shines on you!

===============================================
And that's a wrap! Sorry Hitmonleet and Agape you are both excellent contenders. Sadly, RNG did not smile upon you.

Player List:
FMD
Toon
Pyra
Temperantia
Aura Guardian

Sub List:
Hitmonleet
Agape

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)