Other Inverse Battles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using this set with great success

Gogoat@Leftovers
Trait: Sap Sipper
252 HP/252 SpDef/4 Atk
Careful Nature (+Special Defense, -Special Attack)
- Bulk Up
- Milk Drink
- Horn Leech/Razor Blade
- Return

With Gogoat's excellent bulk, recovery in Milk Drink, Grass typing AND Grass immunity (which gives him an attack boost!), Gogoat has taken many by surprise and can secure many boosts. Thinking they can just KO the goat with a grass move, I proceed to BU and get to 2+ in one turn. From the special spectrum Gogoat takes hits comfortably, usually Milk Drinking the damage off and KOing or setting up in return. I've swept teams with this little guy and he's definitely reliable, and if you're looking for a check to the Grass types raging in Inverse, you've found one.

Bulk Up and Milk Drink are givens. I personally choose Horn Leech for survivability, making it easier to avoid a KO and netting KO's myself in the process. However, if you feel Milk Drink and Leftovers are enough, you can opt for Leaf Blade, a nice 90 BP STAB that has a nifty high crit ratio. Return alongside your STAB of choice gives Gogoat solid coverage. I haven't seen any Gogoat so far but I feel that he can hold his own in this meta, backed by his decent defenses and massive Base 123 HP stat. (Note: 123/81 Special bulk is awesome)

Last edited:
IEarthquake alongside your STAB of choice gives Gogoat solid coverage.
Whoa wait, why Earthquake? Earthquake doesn't really hit anything that Grass STAB doesn't already except other Sap Sippers. Earthquake only hits Grass, Flying and Bug SE - Grass already hits all of those! It's only a few select combinations of those types that will take more from Earthquake than Horn Leech - ie against Ground and Water types. And yes, you get neutral hits on those guys where Grass wouldn't, but so does my suggestion:
Return.hat way you have STAB for SE coverage and Return for neutral coverage, since as we've covered Normal is perfect. It also means you hit Rock SE instead of being completely walled by it. Not to mention that Return is slightly more powerful than EQ.

For reference, the complete list of Pokemon that EQ hits harder than both Horn Leech and Return: Gyarados, Mantine, Ludicolo, Pelipper, Surskit, Swanna, Gliscor, Nincada, Torterra, Sandy Wormadam, Landorus, Sawsbuck, Gogoat. (bolded = legitimate threat).
Aside from those covered by Horn Leech, Return hits every other Pokemon harder, especially Rock Steel and Ghost types, in addition to achieving perfect neutral coverage on its own.

Return is one of the best moves in Inverse Battles imo.

Last edited:
Hm, you're right. I initially had Grass/Normal coverage, until someone suggested EQ. Return is more reliable, thanks.

What do you all think of the set/Gogoat and its functions in this meta, though?

Poor steel type. I haven't tried those battles yet, but STAB Return and Boomburst can cause some serious havoc there.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Yanmega could theoretically be the best offensive poke, finally realizing my deepest desire. Bug becomes godly PLUS tinted lens!? Yes please
cant hit bulky grass types outside giga drain which hurts but cant punch through them while they hit with you with 4x effective giga drain. Tinted lens is good but I mean, you cant muscle past chansey w ho is just everywhere youre better off tryng to lategame sweep with speed boost.

Best was obviously a bit of an overstatement, but now that yanmega would be 4x resistant to stealth rock it doesn't have to worry about playing hit and run with the tinted specs set. No special attacker is getting through chansey in this topsy turvy world, pretty sure even shadow ball from whatever isn't really doing much to it.

So far I've been doing wonders with Solid Rock Rhyperior. He has a very useful 4x resist to water and grass and a 2x resist to ground, steel, fighting and ice. Though the 2x weakness to electric, fire, flying, rock, and normal doesn't help and a 4x weakness to poison just makes things worse, but thankfully Solid Rock helps with these quite a bit. You could also run Lightning Rod to add an Elec immunity but I find more staying power in S.R.. Also someone has to let PS know about flying types still taking no damage from spike hazards. They still have it that they do.

No special attacker is getting through chansey in this topsy turvy world,
You mean no special attacker... except any Psychic Pokémon? =P

After one Calm Mind, almost any Psychic Pokémon can 2HKOs Chansey with Psyshock. And considering Psychic attacks have great coverage now (no one is immune to them, resisted only by two types with plenty of issues), there is actually room for Calm Mind in almost any set.

You mean no special attacker... except any Psychic Pokémon? =P

After one Calm Mind, almost any Psychic Pokémon can 2HKOs Chansey with Psyshock. And considering Psychic attacks have great coverage now (no one is immune to them, resisted only by two types with plenty of issues), there is actually room for Calm Mind in almost any set.
Not to mention that Psychic/Psyshock + Signal Beam or Bug Buzz gets perfect coverage. AND Shadow Ball still hits Chansey SE

I just realized that Mega Charizard Y is another very interesting Pokémon in Inverse Battles.

Sun looks a very interesting weather in Inverse. Not only do many Grass types have Chlorophyll, but they are also weak to Water and resistant to Fire. This means that Sun removes one of Grass-types' main weaknesses as well.
On top of that, Mega Charizard Y is 4x resistant to Stealth Rock and immune to all other entry hazards, so it can switch in and out as many times as it pleases. And unlike most other Pokémon with this property*, it is not dead wait against Grass-types, as it has access to Solar Beam with no recharge.

*Ice is the only type that resists Stealth Rock but is not weak to Grass.

I just realized that Mega Charizard Y is another very interesting Pokémon in Inverse Battles.

Sun looks a very interesting weather in Inverse. Not only do many Grass types have Chlorophyll, but they are also weak to Water and resistant to Fire. This means that Sun removes one of Grass-types' main weaknesses as well.
On top of that, Mega Charizard Y is 4x resistant to Stealth Rock and immune to all other entry hazards, so it can switch in and out as many times as it pleases. And unlike most other Pokémon with this property*, it is not dead wait against Grass-types, as it has access to Solar Beam with no recharge.

*Ice is the only type that resists Stealth Rock but is not weak to Grass.
Speaking of Ice, Ice is the premier defensive type this gen and goes great on sun teams, what with their Fire Resist being patched up and the water neutrality turned into a resist. They also work great against sun teams, because they can hit fire types with a STAB SE Ice Beam and fire and grass types get no ice moves. Grass resists ice, sure, but there is Earthquake for those icemons who get it.

Speaking of Ice, Ice is the premier defensive type this gen and goes great on sun teams, what with their Fire Resist being patched up and the water neutrality turned into a resist. They also work great against sun teams, because they can hit fire types with a STAB SE Ice Beam and fire and grass types get no ice moves. Grass resists ice, sure, but there is Earthquake for those icemons who get it.
Does Freeze Dry inverse its Water Treatment?

I know all Ice now SEs Water, just curious if we should strip Freeze Dry off Ice types before Inversing.

Also, what happens to Flying Press?

I'm wondering if they use Type Chart, or, because they're special, if they have their own dedicated system.

Last edited:
Freeze Dry has no special effect because Water types are already weak to it. There's no reason to use it in IBs.

Flying Press is SE against Electric, Ghost, Poison, Flying, Psychic, and Fairy, and NVE against Dark, Fighting, Grass, Ice, and Normal.

Meloetta looks like a pretty good pokemon in this tier. It can run a mixed set with stab relic song, return, close combat, and psychic. It's the fastest normal and fighting pokemon and outruns all ghosts in its alternate form.

Meloetta is indeed quite scary. I think her only negative aspect is that she has to start in Aria Forme and she is quite slow in that Forme. Which is quite a pity, because if she had that speed in Aria, I wouldn't see any reason to change Forme at all. She can already be mixed in Aria Forme using Psyshock.

I think I should also mention some Pokémon that you shouldn't absolutely use in Inverse Battles (or you shouldn't use in classic ways), and yet I keep seeing people using them.

Steel Pokémon

Steel Pokémon suck. Don't use them. They don't really offer you anything because they can't defeat the most common physical walls and are OKHO by anything (even physical walls!).

Talonflame

Talonflame is a horrible Pokémon in Inverse Battle. Flying is one of the worst offensive types of the whole metagame. It doesn't hit anything useful super-effectively (Electric? Rock? Steel?) and it's resisted by some of the most common used types (Grass, Bug, Fighting).
And Flying + Fire got terrible coverage, because Grass and Bug types (and Heracross) resist both.

Mega Venusaur

Do not evolve your Venusaur, people. Thick Fat is useless, since it already resists Fire and Ice (which aren't that common anyway). If you want to use it as a sweeper, use Life Orb + Chlorophyll. If you want to use it as a wall use Overgrow + Leftovers. There is no reason to use its mega form.

Blaziken

The most common physical walls (Avalugg and Tangrowth) laugh at your Blaziken. Avalugg resists both your STABs, Tangrowth resists one and isn't afraid of the other, and both OHKO you in return. If you want to use Blaziken, at least give him Baton Pass, so it can pass its boosts once the inevitable physical wall switches in.

Does Freeze Dry inverse its Water Treatment?

I know all Ice now SEs Water, just curious if we should strip Freeze Dry off Ice types before Inversing.

Also, what happens to Flying Press?

I'm wondering if they use Type Chart, or, because they're special, if they have their own dedicated system.
Well Ice Beam is stronger even if the SE on water moves stay. However, I'd like to test and see if Electrify Freeze Dry still hits water SE.

Well Ice Beam is stronger even if the SE on water moves stay. However, I'd like to test and see if Electrify Freeze Dry still hits water SE.
It's more a "hypothetical" thing. I'm wondering if moves with adjusted type effectiveness have their adjustments flipped. Would Freeze Dry now be the only Ice move resisted by water? Would Flying Press be resisted by everything that resists both Flying and Fighting? Or are the adjustments a separate system that remains even after the standard types are flipped?

If Freeze Dry includes a specific "super effective against water" script as an added effect, I'm just wondering if that effect was considered and flipped when they were programming the Inverse Battles. Is it actually a type match, or is it a specific feature of the move?

Freeze Dry's ability to hit Water Super Effectively is an additional effect and is not flipped in Inverse Battles. And yes, Electrify Freeze Dry will still hit Water types for Super Effective Damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)