Iconic Moments of the Pokemon Games

What do you believe the greatest moments are from any of the Pokemon games (spinoffs included)?
I'd like to mention one that is surprising to me considering how much I thought a moment from an earlier game would come to mind first. From Pokemon Black/White 2 in Nimbasa City Gym: you proceed down a catwalk in a darkened room, surrounded by cheering spectators as you battle Gym Trainers. Once the final one is defeated, the camera shifts to the main stage. The main lights and strobe lights flare to life as Elesa emerges onto the stage. A giant screen behind her displays images of Elesa and the badge iirc. All eyes fall on you and Elesa as the battle commences. This scene is probably the most unique take on a gym battle in the main series.
So feel free to share what you guys think!

Raidx

Banned deucer.
In BW2 when Ghetsis literally threatened to kill the player character with Kyurem's Glaciate, that was pretty shocking and unexpected. I'd say that's definitely a defining moment for me. Not to mention the cutscene with N and Kyurem fusing and whatnot. So much suspense and everything.

Max. Optimizer

free to be the greatest
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In my opinion it's absolutely mandatory to mention the Platinum version's iconic Giratina cutscene in this thread.

Below are a couple of personal reasons and impressions that should manage to significantly substantiate my aforementioned statement:
  • I think that the Spear Pillar area was the perfect choice for this scene. It greatly complements the narrative frame of the main story and I think it's only fitting to let the climax of the plot take place at the peak of Mt. Coronet.
  • In addition to this, the Spear Pillar was in my opinion definitely a better choice of location than the Turnback Cave (Giratina's habitat in Diamond and Pearl) because it doesn't make Dialga and Palkia look out of place in the background.
  • As if Giratina's appearance isn't already ominous enough, I think they really managed to get the maximum out of that iconic cutscene by gathering all 3 Cover Legendaries of the Diamond, Pearl and Platinum version in one place.
  • Back then I also liked to imagine that Arceus carefully watches the entire scenario from the Hall of Origin above, ready to step in and put Giratina back into the shadow realm its oubliette.
  • Giratina definitely manages to upstage Dialga and Palkia in the background and it asserts its sheer dominance the exact moment it emerges from the Distortion World portal and spreads its wings.
  • Furthermore I think that this cutscene was also a great transition from the Sinnoh region we already knew from Diamond and Pearl to the new iconic Distortion World that was Platinum-exclusive.
  • Correspondingly, you can pinpoint the exact moment where Platinum starts to feel "different" than its predecessors Diamond and Pearl.
  • Moreover, I think that the cutscene looks remarkably polished for a DS game and, while Giratina definitely knows how to make an entrance, they also showed that it can vanish again just as fast and mysteriously as it appeared.
  • Finally, the way Giratina jumps at you, followed by the black screen, greatly rounds off an iconic scene that I remember from the TV commercial back in the day and that I can't wait to see remade in a foreseeable future.

Last edited:
First thing I thought of too.

That and fighting Mewtwo in R/B/Y. Also discovering your rival has become the champion in R/B/Y, which at the time, was actually a surprising plot twist.

These other moments are great but nothing quite stands the test the time and were as invasive to popular culture as those three were.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
"You have now taken your first steps in Kanto! Open your Pokégear map and see for yourself!"

This was a huge moment back in GSC. But actually, I think it was a bigger moment for me when I got the Magnet Train to finally work. You were teased with it from the moment you entered Goldenrod City. Then in Kanto, you found the other station. And then this little quest to repair the power station and get a train pass. That first trip, making travel between Kanto and Johto convenient... it really felt like you tied the regions together yourself.

In general, I like clearing roadblocks that open previously unavailable shortcuts. Waking up Snorlax in RBY, or finishing the construction of Rusturf Tunnel in RSE, or... uhh, the newer games seem to have done away with this entirely. Now it's all about "open the next gate" instead of "open that gate way back there".

In general, I like clearing roadblocks that open previously unavailable shortcuts. Waking up Snorlax in RBY, or finishing the construction of Rusturf Tunnel in RSE, or... uhh, the newer games seem to have done away with this entirely. Now it's all about "open the next gate" instead of "open that gate way back there".
the games are too linear now and its real annoying tbh. Hoenn and Kanto all felt connected like a region should. Like in Hoenn you could go straight from Rustboro to Meteor Falls when you got Surf, or use Rusturf Tunnel when you got Rock Smash, or take a shortcut south from Mt. Pyre to get back to Route 118, etc etc. In Kanto once you opened Saffron City up a lot of things got more easily accessible, you could use Surf to go from Cinnabar to Pallet, clearing the Snorlax opened up new paths... etc etc. Where is the spirit of adventure? Like in Kanto in order to progress once you got Cut off the SS Anne you had to backtrack to Cerulean; in Hoenn you had to backtrack to Petalburg to fight Norman and then go to Mauville to Surf. Where the hell did any of that go?

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
So many iconic moments to list, but one moment that really sticks out to me that I feel often gets overlooked involves the legendary Johto beasts and the first ever legendary Pokémon theme in the main series games.

In RBY and GS, all Pokémon shared the same typical wild Pokémon theme. But in Crystal, Raikou, Entei, and Suicune finally broke the mold with their own unique battle theme. Whether you're just randomly walking through grass in Johto and suddenly here a different and loud theme kick in, or finally engage Suicune in battle at the Tin Tower after chasing it across the region, the first true legendary Pokémon theme makes the encounters with the Johto beasts one of the more memorable moments in the series.

Was that really a surprise? He was a step ahead of you for literally the entire game, why would the pokemon league be any different?
Your rival being the champion in RBY wasn't that surprising, but that doesn't make it any less iconic imo. He was always one step ahead of you throughout the whole game, but the champion battle is the moment when you finally caught up to him and ultimately surpassed him on an equal battlefield in one epic final battle.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hmm, well from the top of my head here are some iconic moments to me:

Gen I:
Lavender Town, Pokemon Tower, & Marowak's Ghost:
Up till then it's been a lighthearted kids game. Sure Team Rocket is causing trouble but all they did was stealing and most grunts acted like tough buffoons. Then you get to Lavender Town. The music is creepy, there's people talking about ghosts, the town's landmark is a tower that serves as a graveyard. But than things get serious: you learn that Team Rocket killed a baby Cubone's mother. That's pretty dark, it puts Team Rocket in a new light as being an actual threat. Then you learn Team Rocket are in the Pokemon Tower keeping Mr. Fuji hostage, so you go in to save him. More creepy music, possessed trainers, a holy healing seal, and there's "ghosts" everywhere that your Pokemon refuse to fight (including one that refuses to let you pass). Jump forward to getting the Silph Scope, while all the other ghosts turned out to be Ghost-type Pokemon or Cubone, the one that won't let you pass IS a real ghost: Cubone's mother, Marowak. With the Silph Scope you can knock it out, and upon doing so you're told it was able to pass on in peace. And there's really nothing else like that elsewear in the game or really has been seen much of since in the series.
Giovanni the 8th Gym Leader: The previous seven Gym Leaders were alright, if sometimes a bit egotistic, characters who happily awarded you their Badge upon their defeat. So to learn that Team Rocket not only runs Viridian Gym but their leader, Giovanni (who you faced a few times), is the final Gym Leader was a surprise as you didn't think those two plot lines would cross and the 8th Gym Leader, the strongest Gym Leader, would also be a nice person too. Instead it's the final showdown of the Team Rocket plot and upon beating Giovanni on his own terms he's utterly crushed, disbanding Team Rocket, giving you the Badge, and vanishes without a trace.
Rival Champion: You defeated the Elite Four! The toughest four trainers, surely you won the game, right? Nope, one more had done so before you, the character that has always been one step ahead: your rival. Your rival beat you to being Champion and now they're the final boss, challenging you to see once and for all who's the strongest trainer.

Gen II:
Cutting Slowpokes Tail:
Once again, Team Rocket shows they are a serious threat as now they're mutilating a Pokemon! Okay, yeah, later gens will confirm that Slowpoke grow back their tails, but at the time it was once again a dark moment that stood out. In addition that's also when you learn Team Rocket are still around.
No Badge For You: This is the only generation where you have not one but two Gym Leaders who refused to award you the Badge upon their defeat. First is Whitney, who cries after being beaten and you have to have one of her Gym trainers tell you to come back later before you can talk to her again to get your badge. Nothing major, but stands out as sort of a troll to players who are uses to the Gym Leader just giving you the Badge upon defeat. Also it tells you a bit about their characters. This happens again with Clair, but this time its on purpose and refuses to award the Badge unless you can make it through the Dragon's Den.
Kanto Re-visit: So you're now Champion, what to do now? Well how about visiting the previous game's region and see how it changed! Not only that, you can go around and collect the old Badges again, seeing how the important NPCs are doing. Lavender Town is now happier as the Pokemon Tower was replaced with a radio station (and Mr. Fuji moved the graves to the Memory House to let them finally rest), Cinnabar Island's volcano erupted destroying the town on it and forcing Blaine to set up his Gym in Seafoam Islands, and Blue is Viridian Gym Leader (among other changes). It was a nice bonus, giving a massive post game which leads to...
Red Battle: So you collected all the Kanto Badges, but you already beat the Pokemon League. A new location opens up, Mt. Silver, so of course you're going to go up it. Your arrive to the peak, and upon getting their you see yourself from the last game! It's new player character vs. old player character, a very meta experience even if he's using a different name and has a different Pokemon team.

Gen III:
Professor Run Around:
Starting this gen they tried making getting the Starter a bit more special than just meeting with the Professor to get it. Among them this might be the funniest, you find Birch being chased after a wild Pokemon and the reason you pick a Pokemon is so you can battle and knock out the pursuing Pokemon. Hey, whatever gets me my Starter is alright with me.
Deoxys Event: First of the events where you needed to do something to get the Pokemon, Deoxys was a strange one. You had to move around a triangle stone in a certain pattern which grows redder each time. Finally it breaks and an alien floats on down in front of it: Deoxys, the DNA Pokemon, and if you want to capture it you need to battle it and it's unique theme.
End Of The World: The first games to use the mascot Legendaries in the plot, they do so in a big way. Upon the villain team leader awakening their Legendary Pokemon, they get a report that the weather has gone out of control. In Ruby there's bright flashes of sunlight, in Sapphire there's a heavy rain, and in Emerald it's both exchanging turns. The music also sets the scene, in Ruby its a creepy melody that brings to mind intense heat and things melting, while in Sapphire and Emerald its an ominous theme that sounds like a catastrophe has happened. While Gen I and II built up Team Rocket as a local threat, here it's the Legendary Pokemon who are a threat to the ENTIRE WORLD! And of course, only you can stop it. In Ruby & Sapphire you needed to do so by going to the bottom of the Cave of Origins, while in Emerald you see Groudon and Kyogre battling in the middle of Sootopolis and you need to find another way to stop them.
Emerald Exclusive:
Rayquaza's Flight:
Since Groudon and Kyogre are too busy battling each other you need to find another way to stop them. Steven & Wallace suggest getting Rayquaza's help and you go to Sky Pillar where you encounter Rayquaza. Except you don't battle, instead it flies up in the sky and you get a cutscene of flying to Sootopolis & roaring at Groudon and Kyogre forcing them back to their layer. The cutscene is entirely done in sprites and, though this limits the animation, it's still a nice looking cutscene from the sprites to the illusion of movements they were able to do.
Combined Plot: Yellow and Crystal didn't really change much about their respective generations story, but Emerald did. While in Ruby you battled Team Magma and Sapphire you battled Team Aqua, in Emerald you battled both which included new battle scenarios. This along with other new features made the game really feel the definitive Gen III experience.
Battle Frontier: So you became the Champion making the number one trainer, right? Well no, for there is a place where only the strongest of trainers go where they really need to know their stuff to prove they are the best: the Battle Frontier. While Crystal and RS had the Battle Tower, the Battle Frontier really built on the idea, providing a post game which actually tasked you to master the game and give unique experience at the same time.
FireRed & LeafGreen:
Sevii Islands:
Up till beating Blaine so far this remake's story followed the original's to a T. But then Bill contacts you and asks you to help him on the Sevii Islands. He than takes you to new locations, a series of islands, more of which become accessible after becoming Champion providing a post game area to explore. It was a nice surprise to those who played the Gen I games and weren't expecting any new location or one as large.

Gen IV:
Psyduck Roadblock:
The series has had many of interesting road blocks, and for a while this was the strangest: a group of confused Psyduck preventing you from getting passed them until giving them medicine.
Lake Valor Explosion: Thought Team Rocket killing and maiming Pokemon was bad? How about Team Plasma detonating a WMD which cleared an entire lake and surrounding forest! Worst yet, when battling through the crater that was once a lake you see Magikarp helplessly splashing around, reminding you there were Pokemon living in the lake and who knows how many were killed in the explosion.
Old Chateau: The first haunted location to feature human ghosts, the creepy music with the ghostly activities going around make it rememberable as you didn't quite know what to expect to see your first time through. Admittedly the hauntings are light and it's mostly there to have you catch Rotom, though Platinum provided some more interesting backstory about it and set up for future Pokemon hauntings.
Platinum Exclusives:
Cyrus Speech:
We actually don't often see the villain leader talking much to their subordinates. Platinum provided us a scene of this though as Cyrus talks to a whole room of grunts about them building a new future together. However this scene takes a dark twist as you encounter Cyrus later who says he wasn't serious about what he said as he only plans on having himself as sole god in the new world he wants to create.
Giratina Attack & Distortion World: In DP, the Lake Guardians were able to contain the power of the Space-Time Legendary that Cyrus summoned, you battling him on Spear Pillar. But Platinum had Cyrus summon both Dialga and Palkia and so the Lake Guardians were unable to stop them. Just then, from the shadows, Giratina arises in front of Cyrus and, while Cyrus was rambling on, SUDDENLY LUNGES AT THE CAMERA! When things clear it's revealed Giratina took Cyrus to its dimension: the Distortion World. The Distortion World is still one of the most unique Pokemon locations, having the player walk/Surf along floating platforms/streams of water be they vertical or upside down. Weird towering plants that grow and regress in seconds, platforms that vanish or move, and puzzles which has you doing random things you wouldn't know what to do without help from the Lake Guardians. And in the end you have the final battle with Cyrus and then Giratina with its new forme and a chaotic theme. Probably until Ultra Space in Gen VII did it feel like the most alien Pokemon location.
HeartGold & SoulSilver:
Walking Pokemon:
It's one thing to say your Pokemon are traveling around with you and experiencing what you are, but it's another to actually see it. Walking Pokemon not only let you have your Pokemon walk with you, but you could interact with them and they had some little scenes of them doing stuff. There's a reason why its a wanted returning feature, it felt like it gave your Pokemon personality instead of just a mindless monster that does whatever you tell it to.
Rocket Admins: In Gen II the Rocket Admins didn't have a personality (nor names). HGSS giving them unique personalities was a nice addition and letting us see different aspects of the Rocket organization.

(Gotta go, I'll include my iconic moments for Gen V, VI, and VII later)

Champion Leon

Banned deucer.
So many iconic moments to list, but one moment that really sticks out to me that I feel often gets overlooked involves the legendary Johto beasts and the first ever legendary Pokémon theme in the main series games.

In RBY and GS, all Pokémon shared the same typical wild Pokémon theme. But in Crystal, Raikou, Entei, and Suicune finally broke the mold with their own unique battle theme. Whether you're just randomly walking through grass in Johto and suddenly here a different and loud theme kick in, or finally engage Suicune in battle at the Tin Tower after chasing it across the region, the first true legendary Pokémon theme makes the encounters with the Johto beasts one of the more memorable moments in the series.

Your rival being the champion in RBY wasn't that surprising, but that doesn't make it any less iconic imo. He was always one step ahead of you throughout the whole game, but the champion battle is the moment when you finally caught up to him and ultimately surpassed him on an equal battlefield in one epic final battle.
I would say Lance being the Champion in GSC. After Red left, we see Blue became the Viridian Gym Leader... such a demotion. Why didn't Blue become the returning Champion? It's like a First Runner Up getting to the top spot when the grand prize first place winner cannot continue... but when First Runner Up cannot continue, leave it to Second Runner Up. Lance makes 3rd place look like First!

Lance, is iconic because he was the first "Cool" trainer. When I was a kid and looked at my older brother when he said "Lance looks like a Super Saiyan" on RED I immediately tried to look but he took it away and said "you have to make it to him yourself." I didn't even have the game at that point but when I finally got RED and I beat Agatha for the first time and got to him, having forgotten the moment my brother saw him for the first time, I read each line of the text slowly. Then... the battle sequence and theme started, and sliding across the screen I saw what I realized was not a false hope or lie, my brother was absolutely right!

A cape, a mountainous layered haircut with peaks and edges, and a Dragon "Master" (Trainer) just like DBZ features Dragons.

I faced Gyarados, which now that I think of it reminds me of the DBZ dragon with no wings, but can Fly, and the mustache and fins.

When you beat him, and realize Blue is your rival, you still think Lance is cooler. He has Dragonite, Gyarados, and even the cool Dragonair which is like a mini Gyarados more than a pre-evolved Dragonite. It's emotionless expression is priceless, simply indifferent and cool.

Then... GSC comes out, and you met a Claire, and realize she is related to Lance. You think, these 8 gyms all feature types that the Gen 1 didn't include. You know they wouldn't repeat types in the E4 (ironically as I write this I do realize I am wrong... but not about Claire+ Lance, but rather Bruno still using fighting types when they have a fighting gym-Chuck).

Then you reach the E4 and think, they replaced Lorelei, and Agatha, and Lance... and you still wonder why they would make the Dragon trainer connection with Clair and Lance... and laugh to yourself "lol, Claire uses Kingdra... why even include her, they should have used Dark instead because she seems too much like Lance"...

And then... you face your fate as you walk past Karen and see... Lance!

It feels surprisingly fitting. He is the best of the best, it almost surprises you that a Dragon Master could lose to 2 kids, so it seems even more appropriate that he is now the Champion... for now.

And finally, you get to face him, a Master! (at least of one type- even if it's really Flying rather than Dragon... I guess I was wrong because like Bruno and Chuck, he has the same type as Faulkner- But as a Champion, he technically isn't a member of the E4 so it's okay). He is the badass that watches you face Red Gyarados in the Lake of Rage, trusting you can capture it without his help, but being there just in case you need backup.

The battle in GSC here feels more iconic than in RBY because he ties the two regions together which makes it come full circle. He is the former E4 of Kanto, now Champion of Johto and is related to Claire, a Dragon gym Leader of Johto. It's like you beat the Champion of multiple regions... (lol the Johto league is actually still in Kanto, no wonder Koga didn't mind the promotion, no traveling off too far).

Previously, you faced him in Red, Blue, and Yellow which confirmed your heartfelt beliefs that Gyarados and Aerodactyl counted as Dragons, simply because Lance uses them. (He cannot use Charizard because your rival, Blue, is secretly next- and may have it if you picked Venusaur).

Next, as the final Champion in GSC, with no Red or Blue immediately afterwards who may have Charizard as starters, once you beat him, you feel like your heartfealt beliefs of Charizard counting as a Dragon is fully realized, again solely because Lance uses them.

Not to mention that the levels of his Pokémon are lower in GSC than RBY, which means not only did he catch new Pokémon that he had last Gen, but he raised and leveled them up from scratch... that's dedication man! Blue and Red kept their Pokémon in GSC from RBY, Lance is such a boss that he didn't mind getting new Pokémon and making them nearly as powerful as before, hence keeping his Championship title until you claim it!

This is why Lance's final battle with you is more iconic than Red in GSC, or Blue from RBY, Lance connects it all without breaking a sweat!

And... pfft... he doesn't bother with Kingdra like Claire, he would rather use 3 Dragonites... until the rematch in Fire Red and Leaf Green.

In fact, he is the first And only Champion to ever get this promotion from E4 to Champion. He, and he alone is iconic enough for this to be something only he can claim.

When you think of Claire, you think of Lance, when you think of (Red/Any) Gyarados, you think of Lance, Dragonite, etc. When you think of Cool, Champion, Badass... Lance.

He is literally what made the show's Lake of Rage arc awesome, he was the only member of the G-Man group. Lance doesn't disappoint, it feels more awesome to face him than Blue, Red, or anyone else really. Red has higher level Pokémon, but that includes a Pikachu :(

Speaking of final battles: here!
Lol, we know the Final battle isn't with Lance, but guess whose in the video thumbnail? Not Blue...

Also: Gen 1 V Gen 2

Last edited:
For me it was definetely encountering raikou for the first time. I'm not a native English speaker, so when I was ten or so I just mashed A when any kind of dialoge appeared. As such I didn't understand what happened at the burnt tower and I didn't check my map either.

So basically I shat my pants the first time I encountered Raikou because I was fully unprepared and unaware. That theme was terrifying.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Just to clarify what "iconic moment" means to me since my picks might look random and scattered out. I have three criteria which I follow:

1. It has to be something memorable. Something which you can say to someone who played the game and, even if they hadn't played it in years, would go "oh yeah, I remember that"!
2. It has to be impactful. There are a lot of moments here and there, some important and some not. The iconic moment has to be something which I would feel, first time playing, would get a reaction out of you. It can excitement, horror, hilarity, emotional, etc..
3. It has to be unique to that game/generation. Getting your starter is always an iconic moment, battling a Legendary is always an iconic moment, becoming Champion is always an iconic moment. But they happen in every game, thus unless there was something special about the occasion it's not going to be that impactful, thus going against rule 2.

NOW, this is just my criteria. Obviously you'll have different reasons something is iconic, probably from personal preference. And that it fine, because honestly I think the only constant rule would be my rule #1.

With all that done, let me add something to a previous generation I forgot about:

Gen II:
Entering Team Rocket's HQ:
The series likes to not let you use your Pokemon for purpose of intimidation, even if its against the villain. We had times where a grunt is blocking our path, they have no Pokemon, yet they won't let us pass and we can't do anything about it despite having a fire-breathing dragon at our command. But that doesn't mean others can't do it. Like the time Lance had his Dragonite use HYPER BEAM on a Team Rocket member guarding the entrance to their Lake of Rage base. Like, Geez! He could have told Dragonite to shove the guy, heck I think Dragonite standing tall over the guy and roaring would have scared him enough to get him out of the way. But instead Lance just announces an attack on him, sending him flying into the opposite wall! Now I suppose since Lance is working with the Pokemon League he may have special permission to use Pokemon in that way, but that's just overkill... and it was AWESOME!
Gen III:
Double Battle:
Gen to introduce the Double Battles, bringing in whole new battling strategies. And while most battles were still single, they made sure to include an important double battle: Mossdeep Gym Leaders, Tate & Liza. For many this was a hard Gym as, being it was a new battling mechanic and not often used (though Emerald made sure to add more).

Now, I know I said I'll go through the other gens next post... but I have a lot to say for the last few gens so instead I'm going to go one game at a time here. orry about that.

Black & White:
Crowning Of N:
This was the first Pokemon game to start a game with a cutscene and it's quite a cutscene.
Who are these people? Was that green-haired man just crowned king? King of what? Why did he flashback to his childhood? Who were those woman watching from the side, away from the cloaked men (one wearing a red eyepiece who did the crowning)? Surely they must be important if the camera focused on them, right? And throughout the whole scene this epic music is playing that keeps building and swelling until finally reaching a climax as the newly crowned king addresses the group. It really gives off the vibe this is going to be a bit of a different Pokemon experience than the previous, one that's more story driven or at least prominent.
Starter Gift: Instead of meeting with the Professor to get your Pokemon, instead you get it via a present to your house along with your friends. After picking your starters you have a battle... which results you room getting wrecked. A funny little moment that also builds upon the character's friendship and, while we see the battle as turn-based, shows that's just a meta thing and the Pokemon are running around (and somehow the starters were running on the walls as there's a trail of footprints on them). You all then meet your mother downstairs and she tells you to meet Juniper while she cleans up the mess up stairs, not knowing what she'a in for. I can imagine her first words would be: "Now let's see how messy things ar-OH MY ARCEUS! WHY ARE THEIR FOOTPRINTS ON THE WALLS AND CEILING!?".
Two Rivals, Two Friends: While Gen III started with the friendly rivals (and sort of had two, though Wally more took over for May/Brendan), in BW you not only start off with two but they establish and develop them throughout the game. You start your journey together, taking your first step onto Route 1 together. Of course eventually yo go your own ways, but your constantly meeting up with each other to either battle or just catch up. This results in a lot of memorable moments, like when you and Cheren chase down Team Plasma grunts who stole a girl's Pokemon, Bianca staying behind to calm them. But to me each have their own iconic moments. For Cheren its when you and him meet the Champion, Alder. Cheren says his goal is to become Champion but Alder asks him what he wants afterwards. Cheren says what else could there be besides being Champion, though that one moment sets up his story arc as he'll start questioning his goal. For Bianca it has to be when her father catches up to her in Nimbasa City and says she's taking her home. Bianca has always felt like a "second rival", Cheren being the first and this is due to Bianca having some confidence issue mixed with overprotective daddy issues. Bianca wants to keep journeying and, with some encouragement from the player and Elesa, tells her father this and he accepts, only wanting Bianca to be happy and safe (which she is with her Pokemon). It ends one of Bianca's story arcs from the beginning of the game she was worried about, and from there becomes a more confident person.
Skyarrow Bridge & Castelia City: While Gen IV used 3D environments, Gen V pushed it to a whole new level and no better locations show this than Skyarrow Bridge and Castelia City. Skyarrow Bridge is a LONG bridge and as you go down it the camera angles changes several times, giving you different views of the bridge and how massive it felt compared to your little sprite. Then you get into Castelia City and it's a CITY. Tall skyscrapers rendered in 3D as you try to get used to the different movement controls as the camera circles around the city's outer area as you walk across the streets. It really gave a feeling of size to the Pokemon world.
Date With A King: For the most par N has just been a mysterious trainer who believed in Team Plasma's philosophy and questioned the player's actions. All this comes to a head when he invites you to go with him on Nimbasa's Ferris Wheel... where N reveals that he's the king of Team Plasma. Now yes, spoiled by the intro, but still is a very memorable moment as you didn't know when he was going to reveal that (not to mention you're stuck on a Ferris wheel with him, there's no place to escape so you have to hear him out). Afterwards he helps a batch of Plasma grunts escape as he addresses you one final time, in a full portrait scene, that he will separate people and Pokemon. From then on he also starts using his Team Plasma resources to talk with you, such as the Shadow Triad, and his trainer class changes from "Pokemon Trainer" to "Team Plasma". It's a moment that changes your relationship with N, going from a friendly rivalry to ambiguous antagonistic as you're not sure what N wants from you.
N's Castle: So you just defeated the Elite Four, both to become the Champion and stop N for completing Plasma's goals. But you're too late, N has defeated Alder. He claims to be Champion and will use that title and the Legendary Pokemon to separate people and Pokemon. We then get a cutscene of N's Castle rising from the ground, dwarfing the Pokemon Leaue, as stair cases shoot down and wreck the place. N tells you to follow him into his castle where a lot of iconic scenes in Black & White happen. Let's count them:
  • N's Room: You meet with Anthea & Concordia who tell you a bit about N's past and let you go into his room, which is almost like a young child's room. When you interact with the items, it mentions they've been recently played with. The music is like from a music box, soft and gentle, even innocent. It helps build upon what N's psyche must be like.
  • Gym Leader Rescue: Before you can get to N you're stopped and challenged by all of the Seven Sages except Ghetsis. But then the Gym Leader's come rushing in, the triumphed "Last Gym Leader Pokemon" music playing as they say they'll handle the Sages as you go to face N. This is also a bit of an iconic moment for Bianca as she's the one who told them what's happening, but she's not in the scene as we later learn she was getting to the Striaton Triplet.
  • Dragon Arrival, Revival, & Battle: Upon encountering N he summons his dragons which is done via cutscene, using its power to evaporate the pools of water. But then the orb you have activates, reviving the other Unova dragon which you then battle & capture (and forced to deposit one of your Pokemon so it can be in your party). Finally you and N battle, both you and him sending out your dragons. His dragon is higher level so it goes first, using its signature move which locks your dragon to do its signature move (but it does more damage for moving last). N then heals his dragon which usually let's you use a super effective move to knock it out as the rest of the battles take place.
  • Break Down & Farewell: Beating N, he breaks down and begins to realize Plasma's goals are wrong... only for Ghetsis to then come in. He calls N useless, explaining how he was using him as a tool to take over the world but upon losing he is no longer needed. Ghetsis, in a fury, than battles you, but also loses. He goes into a more angrier break down, but N has recovered and tell Ghetsis, a man he calls father, that he's wrong and his scheme is over. Alder and Cheren arrive and arrest Ghetsis, meanwhile N tells the player he needs to discover who he is and gives you a farewell (the scene having "N's Farewell" playing, a sad but optimistic theme).
Phew! Black & White had a lot, next time we'll see if its sequel, Black 2 & White 2, has just as many.

The first time entering the Soaring in the Skies map in ORAS. Just seeing all of Hoenn spread out below you... doing it at night time with the starry sky surrounding you was even more impressive.

I didn't say it wasn't an iconic pokemon moment, I just said it wasn't a surprise.

Bull Of Heaven

99 Pounders / 4'3" Feet
is a Pre-Contributor
Enemy MILTANK used ROLLOUT!

So basically I shat my pants the first time I encountered Raikou because I was fully unprepared and unaware. That theme was terrifying.
For me it was Suicune in the original Silver. So much time spent puzzling over how to pronounce its name (went with "Soo-ee-seen," I think) and walking in the same patch of grass to try to find another one.

Also, I haven't read absolutely everything in the earlier posts, but I don't think I've seen a mention of AZ's reunion with Floette yet.

Edit: Oh, and since the OP talked about a gym: Lt. Surge's gym puzzle definitely qualifies as "iconic," though not a fond memory. And let's not forget being light years from facing Brock, and TM28 TOMBSTONER.

Last edited:
I second the idea that arriving in Kanto for the first time in GSC was a great moment. It was pretty incredible at the time realizing we had 2 regions in one game.
I also believe that the introduction of the Sevii Islands was a great moment for Firered/Leafgreen, as already mentioned. It was especially exciting when the additional 4 islands are unlocked in the postgame, and you access Johto Mons there (also I loove the GSC remixes there). Speaking of FRLG changes from the originals, I don't think FRLG gives you a heads up about the League becoming more powerful and getting new Mons once the Sevii Island sidequests are finished. I rolled in there one day to grind and was completely taken by pleasant surprise.
Lastly, I want to mention approaching the Castelia City cityline while crossing the huge bridge from Pinwheel as another exhilarating moment; the low camera angle was effective in capturing the city's vastness. Not to mention the cool "Whoosh!" noise when the camera descends from bird's eye view above the bridge to third person as you cross the midspan.

Last edited:
First post here in a long time, whew.
I don't believe battling Wally at Victory Road has been mentioned yet. I personally rank this among my top moments in all the games I have played(never played Gen 3, only Hoenn experience comes from ORAS). You feel truly empowered and inspired, when you realize, standing on top of one of the most difficult areas in the game, a sickly and timid child has become a force to be reckoned with(and you got to contribute by helping him catch his shiny Ralts at the beginning). It really gives the plot a "connected" feel. Just seeing him send out his strong Gallade and remembering Ralts from so long ago really feels nostalgic and iconic.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)