SM RU I may have found an underappreciated defensive mon: A-Marowak

Hi, this is my first post on smogon ever, but I've been playing with this team for a few months now (I play one or two games a day usually) and I've found a team that seems to have pretty good synergy. I'll walk you through it.

First,
escavalier.png

Escavalier @ Choice Band
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Iron Head
- Megahorn
- Pursuit
- Knock Off

I like this mon's breaking and trapping capabilities, it comes in on and traps psychic types like cresselia, espeon, and gardevoir (to an extent), which helps roserade in the late-game, and knock off is pretty useful in general to weaken bulky steel types like registeel. It also helps patch up a weakness to belly drum linoone as long as it stays healthy (+6 252+ Atk Linoone Stomping Tantrum vs. 172 HP / 0 Def Escavalier: 229-270 (70.6 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO)

roserade.gif

Roserade @ Poisonium Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Spikes

Roserade works well on this team because it's a good spikes user, forcing switches on milotic, florges, opposing escavalier, and m-blastoise, to name a few. I like running Poisonium Z because it keeps roserade from being setup fodder and can also net unexpected KOs. Spikes+HP Fire help weaken steel types that bother escavalier, so they weaken each other's checks.

blastoise-mega.png

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 136 HP / 168 SpA / 204 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

This mon doesn't need much of an explanation, it's fantastic in RU. Great rapid spinner, helping to keep rocks off the field for swallow, marowak, and escavalier. My team's best answer to M-Steelix, and it can take a hit from nidoqueen and KO back.

alolan marowak.png

Marowak-Alola @ Leftovers
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Fire Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Bone

Alolan marowak functions as a pretty good check to special attackers in this tier, in my opinion. It comes in on roserade, most salazzle, nasty plot ninetales, gardevoir (to an extent), and other special attackers locked into fire or ice type coverage moves like swallow. It provides good utility in will-o-wisp and stealth rock, as well. Because I couldn't find a pre-made alolan marowak spdef set, the EVs are dumped into hp and spdef, and I'm not experienced with EV building yet so I'm sure there's a better way to distribute them.

swellow.png

Swellow @ Choice Specs
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Air Slash

Most games Swellow is my wincon and late-game sweeper, provided the rest of my team wears down the opposing steel-types. Swellow is also my best form of speed control, outspeeding pretty much all non-scarf users. Moveset is pretty standard and also lets swallow function as a lead if need be.

milotic.png

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Refresh

Blanket physical wall that keeps my team from falling apart at the hands of feraligatr, tyrantrum, shell smash cloyster, shell smash barbaracle, and SD lycanroc-dusk.

Pokémon this team has problems dealing with:
Offensive Nidoqueen (super hard for me to switch in on)
SD Virizion (basically beats my entire team at +2)
M-Blastoise (I usually have to trade my own to weaken/KO the opponent's)
Shaymin with Earth Power
Araquanid
Specs Swellow
Mantine (fairly hard for me to KO)
Mandibuzz (same as mantine)

That's pretty much it, let me know what you guys think of the team, as well as anything I may have done wrong, since this is my first post. I appreciate any and all feedback!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)