HTML Standards

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
On recent projects gone by, I have seen supposedly HTMLized that were not up to scratch at all. Please keep in mind that when HTMLizing, there are indeed rules that need to be followed. They aren't just guidelines; there is a standard that is expected in the same way that there is a standard for formatting peer edits. Just because you can get a page to look "correct", it doesn't mean the HTML behind it as as it should be.

With that in mind, I would really like to encourage everyone to start making use of the HTML Workshop again. That's what it's there for, after all. It has all the resources you need - both the literature and the people - that can help you get things to where they should be. Nobody is going to yell at you or laugh at you if you need to be pointed in the right direction. I know in my case, I'm thinking quite the opposite - I'm happy that so many people are getting involved with the site itself.

There's no need to feel as if you're flying blind either. Remember, chaos has also published the helpful HTML Primer that can be of immense assistance, even if you just need the odd reminder every now and then. I would advise that anyone who hasn't already read it does so. Even if you have, it might not hurt to brush up a bit. Additionally, within the next day or so, I'm going to add a sticky that includes a little template I've thrown together that works well with the W3 Direct Input Validator and a guide on how to use it. This will effectively allow you to correctly check your own HTML for errors. More on that later though.

Although Site Staff may not think this applies to them, keep in mind that if you run into something you're unsure of, the HTML Workshop is just as much there for you as anyone else. We're a team here, there's no shame in needing a hand or just wanting a fresh set of eyes to give your work a once over. Nobody gets things completely correct on the first go 100% of the time; I know I don't.

Don't assume that what is on the site is perfect either. It's possible that certain articles have been HTMLized incorrectly - these things can slip through the cracks. If you're unsure, or really don't want to post directly in the HTML Workshop for whatever reason, shoot me a PM. Either way, I'll always be happy to give you some tips to set you on the right path.

As usual, an indication that you've read this would be nice. Even better, if you have any comments or questions, now is the time to fire them at me.

Legacy Raider

sharpening his claws, slowly
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Read. I always try and get my htmlising proofread because even after you've done it a few times there are always errors (at least in my case). I'm looking forward to this input validator template :)

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I edited the link into some post in HTML workshop. The issue is basically never that someone doesn't know how to do HTML, they are usually just typos that anyone can miss when they do it by hand. Should resolve whatever minor issues exist.

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
I'm not going to go into specifics, but there have been multiple cases over the past couple of months where HTML has been published where the people responsible has had no idea what they were doing. That's what prompted this topic in the first place.

And thanks, ryu. Uber fast as always. :)

Read, you know I validate my HTML anyway =)

By the way, guys, when BK posts his template... Use it, I can't say how useful it's been for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)