How do you beat a Racing Addiction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK that may have not come out as I wanted it to be. Let's try this again, I will no longer race anymore, willing drivers or not. I will never exceed 160 km/h again on anything that isn't a track. Me not racing even if provoked will mean I will have no problem waiting and slowing down until I find a convenient opening instead of taking more risky maneuvers.

Also, it is true that after carefully studying the mannerisms of the police on the highway and knowing where to slowdown and acting innocent has given me a 5 month streak of no tickets, it doesn't that I don't get fined and right now it's anywhere between 100$ to 150$ per month.

I really don't think it's a superiority complex otherwise I would have had it in competitive pokemon, debates, etc. There is something really attractive about controlling a ton of metal at insane speeds with the tip of your fingers and feeling no fear about it.

In any case tomorrow is the first day I'm driving back to work after 4 days, hopefully I'll work it out.
First bold: Have you been driving for 5 months or did you get a ticket 5 months ago? If you got a ticket before......*facepalm*

Second bold: You pretty much described an adrenaline rush. If you still try to deny it than I don't know what to for you. But for a solution: go ride a rollercoaster, jump out of a airplane, go challenge someone twice your size to a fight, etc. and you may not get the urge to race. You do need to take this issue seriously and stop cutting jokes about it, People DO DIE From This.

@rest of posters: I know he's pretty much acted like a idiot, but seriously, cut the guy some slack. I truly do think he realized that it is a problem or he would of never asked for help in the first place.

I actually agree with what most people have said in this thread, so don't get the wrong ideal dragon, I'm just trying to be nice about it.

Dozz

Has anyone in this family ever seen a chicken?
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Smashed my first car head on into a crash barrier, also picked up a speeding ticket meaning I had three points on my license out of a possible six. All of this was within the space of a year since I passed my test. Getting behind the wheel again after my crash was beyond awful, and I still have awful thoughts when I go round the bend I crashed on, which is a daily basis. The ticket wasn't so bad, but the risk of losing my privilege got me into shape.

This thread has been necrobumped, but in those 4 months, if you haven't learnt to slow down, a quick dose of the above experiences certainly will. I drove like a bit of an ass before. Nothing on the scale described in the OP though. Maybe a crash, or being "one ticket away" would be the sort of thing to slow you down.

Nah it's OK, if there's something useful I can give to others why not? I had an intresting couple of months to say the least, but I need time to write it so maybe after work we can have a hearty discussion :)

"update: I didn't change anything because I'm addicted lol look up addiction guys that's why I can't stop don't judge me etc"

k

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have an addiction to slowly poisoning my close friends and family. It's okay though because they're only going to die anyway so it's pretty much a mercy killing. I think I'm going to murder everyone I can before I just off myself. It seems only right to put myself before others. Maybe I can infest a water supply or something, that'd be quite splendid!

Anyway, my original complaint was that I had the urge to accept racing challenges on the road, like I had a racing championship or something and even when I'm driving by idly and see some people race or there was a cluster of cars driving by slowly I just say fuck it, weave between them and then continue to speed off.

I noticed that some selections of music can make you feel pumped the moment they played so I deleted a lot of rock instrumentals and boss battle cover songs. Thn I tried to do some psychology nonsense, I made a persononal logo, stuck it to the back of my windshield and "laid down th law" so to speak. I removed it the next week and put the logo beside my bed thinking people won't recognize me without it and I would lose al motivation to race against others, but surprisingly that didn't work at all.

So I tried thinking logically about it, it oesnt matter how I got to acquire these skills, I can't go back to ordinary driving, it's embedded in me. At the same time I'm don't have to prove to anyone how good I am, there is no reward, no talent scout waiting for me, I'm doing this for myself, my own pleasure, and contrary to what I used to think I can have fun driving fast and taking corners and stuff like that whenever the opportunity arises and esewise just passively cruise at high speed without getting agitated by others.

I had some funny moments along the way, like a couple of cars who by now knew me follow me for a very long distance just waiting to prove their worth or some of hem trying to literally push me off my lane to get me angry.

Tldr; I just drive by passively cruising at high but not insane speeds and keeping distance these days ignoring everyone and everything and if I find a nice stretch of road or some empty corners I have my fun.

Besides handling > speed. A three year old can step on the speed pedal but it takes skill to make good use of the space you have, how to shift balance, how to take corners, etc.

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
this thread was retarded the first time, its retarded this time

popemobile said everything that needs to be said and im not gonna sit here and let people enable your idiotic, irresponsible, reprehensible bullshit "habit" that you "just can't shake"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)