Houndoom QC 2/3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royalty

Confused, truth is what I choose
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
but let's be real,
is the only reason to use.

Overview
########
  • Needs mega stone to be good
  • Pre mega evo gets flash fire
  • Great speed tier at base 115
  • Very high special attack at base 140
  • Good enough coverage
  • Weak to SR and a lot of common types
Nasty Plot
########
name: Nasty Plot
move 1: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 2: Nasty Plot
move 3: Dark Pulse
move 4: Flame Charge / Destiny Bond / Substitute
ability: Flash Fire -> Solar Power
item: Houndoomite
evs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
nature: Timid

Moves
========
  • Nasty plot boosts Houndoom's special attack to scary levels
  • Fire/Dark coverage for stabs
  • Flame Charge to get that 1.5x speed and prevent scarfers from easily revenge killing
  • HP grass can be used hit things like rhyperior/swampert that resist fire and are neutral to dark
  • Substitute works as Houndoom forces a lot of switches and can get a free sub
  • Destiny Bond is good for a last ditch suicide kill
  • Will-O-Wisp can be used to cripple switch-ins like snorlax

Set Details
========
  • EVs are to maximize speed and damage output
  • Houndoomite to mega evolve Houndoom because regular houndoom is pretty bad
  • The attacking moves are to provide optimal coverage
Usage Tips
========
Pre mega evo, houndoom can be used as a fire absorber but once mega'd it is more useful as a set-up sweeper. Due to it having 115 base speed and 140 base special attack, mega doom can also come in and revenge most of the offensive mons that aren't scarfed or have priority.

Team Options
========
  • Mons that deal with snorlax well, like heracross
  • Electric/Grass types to deal with bulky waters
  • Spike setters to take advantage of all the switches mega doom forces
  • Florges/Gardevoir, or anything to deal with hydreigon
  • Venomoth
Sun God
########
name: Sun God
move 1: Sunny Day
move 2: Fire Blast / Flamethrower
move 3: Dark Pulse
move 4: Solar Beam
ability: Flash Fire -> Solar Power
item: Houndoomite
evs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 SpD
nature: Timid

Moves
========
  • Sunny Day allows mega doom to take advantage of Solar Power while also boosting fire stabs
  • Dark Pulse/Fire move are for reliable stabs
  • Solar Beam is to take advantage of Sunny Day and give mega doom a better way to deal with bulky waters
Set Details
========
  • EVs are to maximize speed and damage output
  • Houndoomite because for Solar Power and regular houndoom is bad
Usage Tips
========
Without getting nasty plot to boost special attack on this set, getting hazards up is very important to help ensure some more KOs. While this set can be used to pick things off throughout the game, it is better used as an end game cleaner once everything is a bit weakened.

Team Options
========
  • Forretress/Smeargle for hazards
  • Another sunny day setter with heat rock and either momento/explosion to give doomer a free switch
  • Florges/Gardevoir
  • Venomoth
  • Things to handle snorlax easily
Other Options
########
  • Sludge Bomb can be used for more accurate coverage on fairies
  • Taunt can be used as a way to avoid status/opposition healing
Checks & Counters
########
  • Hydreigon
  • Most bulky waters if not running the sun god set
  • Snorlax
  • Specially defensive hippowdon
  • Mega Aerodactyl
  • Scarf fighting types that switch into dark pulse like mienshao/heracross, although flame charge helps with this.

Last edited:
I know this is still in WIP, but probably worth mentioning in the overview that it checks common threats in UU, like Chandy, Metagross and Jirachi (although Metagross does have access to eq).

Last edited:

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
flame charge is like the standard on np's fourth slot now, i'd definitely make that the first slash

i'm thinking flame charge / sub / dbond

everything else in ac/oo whatever the section's called.

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd definitely slash Destiny Bond over Substitute koko...

And not that I think they should be slashed in, but definitely mentioned, are Taunt and Sludge Wave.

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion
You should probably mention Florges as a partner because it takes on Hydreigon, one of the best Mega-Houndoom checks at the moment.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
venomoth in team options

i wouldn't say florges is a counter since it can't even 2hko houndoom with moonblast and gets roasted after nasty plot

I was wondering if a Mixed Pursuit + Sucker Punch set has any merit on normal Houndoom? It could be complimented with Fire Blast, and a coverage move or Crunch. Pursuit + Sucker Punch is a neat combination, and seeing as Houndoom is faster and can viably go mixed, I think it distinguishes it enough from Honchkrow. Houndoom can come in quite well on Psychic and Ghost-types and force them out, giving many opportunites to use Pursuit. I was thinking if the set was viable enough to get an OO mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)