ORAS NU HitMONSTER and the Immortal Meme (1475 ELO and Climbing)

Hey y'all, BiscuitSpartan/KipUp here for another NU RMT! If it seems like I do these a lot, it's probably because a) I do, I'm a bad builder and b) I love writing and sometimes helping people out by giving them good teams, it's a really good feeling to hear you helped someone or your team is good!

Introduction

The inspiration for this team originates in the small but potent Frogadier, a pokemon that I love because of it's limitless potential... If it could take a hit. However, I built this team around Choice Specs Frogadier so then I had a kind of meme pokemon that could potentially do work, and make some people wonder how they got destroyed by a little blue frog. I got up to about 1350 ELO on the ladder with this idea, when I learned by tilting that I had one good switch in to an Earthquake. I then replaced Frogadier with Choice Specs Haunter. Needing another sweeping meme after the tragic loss of Specs Frogadier, I began to use Choice Band High Jump Kick Hitmonchan, to great effect, actually. I changed Hitmonchan's item to Life Orb, and suddenly started winning. Now I'm 1475 on the ladder with this weird-yet-effective team and I keep rising, but I want any and all help and feedback I can possibly get. Without further ado, here is the team.

Mesprit @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Psychic

Mesprit is the absolute physical backbone of this team, and generally the lead of choice. Its ability to take on even Tauros (3HKOed by him at full) and cripple it says a lot about Mesprit's sky high defense. This mon is used pretty much to cripple and U-Turn, and even take down slower defensive mons. its 197 speed stat is to outspeed unboosted max speed Rhydon, and I may change the speed to 198 to not risk a speed tie with other defensive Mesprits. Really, though, this thing is here to cripple and set up rocks, but does a great job as the defensive switch in of choice.
The Team

Vileplume @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonlight
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Aromatherapy

The Spdef wall of this team is Vileplume, rocking high HP and SpDef. Vileplume is perfect to switch on on Volt Switches and other special attacks it resists, and works great with a Rocky Helmet and Effect Spore to still punish people for hitting it on the physical side. Moonlight is there for longevity with Aromatherapy on the set to clear this team of status effects. Two fairly potent stabs in Sludge Bomb and Giga Drain do solid damage to mons that switch in (ie: Sludge Bomb does a chunk to Mesprit and can poison, Giga Drain brings back health to Vileplume, etc), and anything that chooses to stay in against this. Vileplume and Mesprit are the two main walls for this team as of now.

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab

With Hitmonchan being the decoy hazard control on this team, Skuntank is the defogger for this squad. I've yet to decide whether the standard physical, standard special, or lure special set is right for Skuntank on this team now, and I think it's really conditional on whats popular in the higher ladder. I've been told also physical Skuntank doesn't beat most rock and spike setters, but the ability to pursuit trap and sucker punch come in handy in tons of matchups. Skuntank is a solid pivot for things like Mesprit, that must be Specs for any one move to KO this mon. Skuntank also is great to revenge kill with Sucker Punch, to force Aftermath damage, and to get chip damage or pick-off kills with Pursuit.

Aggron @ Life Orb
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD / 160 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Rock Polish
- Aqua Tail
- Earthquake

Aggron is the first mix between offense and defense on the team, and perhaps the only. Aggron is here to to set up with Rock Polish and just clean for Haunter and Hitmonchan if they need it. Aggron walls Tauros for days with its naturally insane Defense, and with one Rock Polish, outspeeds it and all other base 110 speed mons by 2 points. Head Smash is the last move anything ever wants to switch in on, with Aqua Tail specifically to beat to beat Rhydon and occasionally Archeops, while providing more accuracy than Stone Edge and Head Smash. 350 attack makes this thing a monster. 80 HP for extra bulk, with 16 SpDef there just so Aggron can take at least one strong SpAtk hit from a few of the tier's harder hitters. Life Orb obviously makes Aggron hit harder, but I've been thinking about changing the item to something like Leftovers or even Wide Lens.

Haunter @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Sludge Bomb

The pokemon who replaced our fallen leader Frogadier, Haunter provides a Normal immunity (if it's not Kanga) and a Ground type immunity, something this team needs. Haunter is very much Frogadier was on this team in the sense that it has a ton of coverage moves, all of which can hit quite hard. One thing that may need to be done is a move change from Sludge Bomb, as Vileplume also has the move, and Skuntank has Poison Jab. One more interesting thing is having three poison types on this team, but with two of those pokemon being able to hit Mesprit for super-effective damage.

Hitmonchan @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- High Jump Kick

Lastly, we have the most fun pokemon on the team and leader in kills, Hitmonchan, or, as I call him, HitMONSTER. HJK has the ability to sweep and kill so many things in this tier, with Mach Punch providing priority and Drain Punch bringing longevity. Ice Punch is just standard on Hitmonchan, so I went with it. For those wondering also why I picked HJK over Close Combat, it's because of the defense drops. With Close Combat, if I don't outspeed the next mon that comes out, I'm almost forced to switch due to the drops. With High Jump Kick, I only have to switch if I miss or something like Mesprit/Weezing/a Ghost Type come out. Additionally, I felt that regular Rapid Spin Hitmonchan missed out on some close KO's, while HJK HitMONSTER doesn't just get those KO's, but allows for more possible KO's due to the huge jump in power from Drain Punch/Mach Punch.

Issues/Threatlist
This team is fairly strong, being able to take on just about everything. However, it does have glaring weaknesses. For example, a lack of a fire resist puts me at an automatic disadvantage, forcing me to sack off Mesprit in many cases, and also forcing me to go for priority moves and hoping they KO. Pyroar especially is an issue, though with rocks damage, Hitmonchan can kill with a Mach Punch. Another glaring issue is a general weakness to Scyther, and a weakness to RestTalk Malamar, though I feel like many teams have that issue.

Possible Changes
Besides the possible item and set changes I suggested throughout the analyses, the only big change I may make is Dual Dance Rhydon>RP Aggron, because Rhydon provides at least a soft Fire check, while also being able to produce its own offense, even if it takes longer to set up.

That's it for me, leave any feedback or nicknames down below, and if anyone uses the team, let me know how it works! I've scaled the ladder fairly quickly with this team, which leads me to believe this team can be of real quality. I'm at 1475 ELO right now on ladder with my main account, KipUp, and I hope this RMT can help some people catch up with me! Thank you to anyone in advance who reads and helps me, RIP Frogadier the best meme, and have a great day!

(Edit: To show this team's viability, here's a reply of the team beating one of the top 3 on ladder at the time: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-417029565 )​

Last edited:
Hello, this looks like a cool team and I'd like to give you a rate.
First of all, I'd like to say that Defog physical Skuntank is a bad option, as you stated before, you can't beat most rockers; therefore, I'd recommand using the usual physical Skuntank.
Now since that you don't have Defog on Skuntank, I'd recommand using Rapid Spin > HJK on Hitmonchan.
I would rather use SR Miltank > Haunter to give you a solid Ice/Fire check and SR suppport, then change Mesprit's set to a Specs one, as it does almost the same job as Haunter and doesn't block the teambuilding that much.
I'd also use Defensive Vileplume as I think that your current spread + item is kind of weird, and it'd give you a cool fighting check.
Last but not least, I would also change Aggron to a DD Rhydon set to help you against Flying-type mons that can annoy you a lot since Aggron fails to check them properly most of the time.

Skuntank @ Lum Berry
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 232 Atk / 128 SpD / 148 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Taunt

Mesprit @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Signal Beam
- Healing Wish

Miltank @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Body Slam
- Milk Drink
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Rhydon @ Eviolite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Hope I helped and good luck.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)