Gen 3 Help me translate my Gen 4 team to Hoenn OU!

I am a 1400 elo Gen 4 player who now thought to use the same team in Gen 3. It isn't going well so far. My performance in Gen 4, by my standards, was stellar. It isn't the same here and I'd like to regain some control over my battles.
Yes, these are the exact same 6 Pokemon, but with different sets , that I've been using well in Gen 4.

(Jirachi) @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
Happiness: 190
EVs: 252 HP / 224 Def / 32 Spe
Bold Nature
- Fire Punch
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Psychic

In Gen 4, I used Jirachi as a Choice Scarf lead with Iron Head. In this Gen, the Choice Scarf doesn't exist and neither does Iron Head. Doom Desire only has 120 Power and 85 accuracy, which is horrendous for a move you need to wait to be executed. Fire and Psychic complement each other well and both increase in damage output from Calm Minds.

Arnoud Legoux (Starmie) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Rapid Spin

Essentially the same exact Starmie I have used in Gen 4. Rapid Spin was extremely important in Gen 4, to keep everyone on the team in condition against Stealth Rock AND Spikes, and to play it safe in a long game, I select Rapid Spin whenever given the opportunity if the opponent isn't suspected of having a Rotom. This generation, I haven't used it yet, but the 3 attacks I have seem to work well enough.

C.App Vaness82love (Swampert) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 108 Def / 252 SpA / 148 Spe
Rash Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam
- Focus Punch

EV spreads in early often depict a Pokemon trying to do way too much. In this case, I am using as many as four attacks on Swampert instead of Stealth Rock and Roar as I did in Gen 4, because there are some Focus Punch targets I need to take care of that are a threat otherwise like Slaking, HP Fire Regice. Based on my team, I think this Swampert has too many aims and it needs a different EV spread that suits the team.

Crystal Clear Wing (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Roar
- Protect
- Toxic

No Roost means Protect stall can matter. Flying attacks seem to only hit Celebi, but I don't bother because I want to be able to Roar whatever comes in after Celebi Baton Passes some boosts.

Borrelsword (Machamp) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Guts
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 128 HP / 252 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Cross Chop
- Rock Slide
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

Dynamic Punch doesn't exist in this gen, so I simply went with the most durable-looking set. Opponents seem unprepared for Bulk Up Machamp.

Tag Force Special (Scizor) @ Salac Berry
Ability: Swarm
Happiness: 120
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Silver Wind
- Agility
- Hidden Power [Rock]

I just imported this set because it looked cool and because the Gen 4 bulky Bullet Punch set doesn't exist. It has served just two purposes for me so far: Psychic resist for Machamp, and, if I get the Silver Wind boost, the opponent forfeits. I don't know why Salac was recommended. It hasn't gone off yet.

It has just occurred to me that I'm potentially Tyranitar and Breloom weak, because Machamp doesn't use a Lum Berry as it does in Gen 4, and Jirachi has no Iron Head.

Help me start winning more in Gen 3 and being in control.

I'm not the best of the best, but the first thing I'm seeing is that you seem to have an awkward lead situation. Only skarmory makes sense to start with, which is very punishable given the abundance of magneton, and that almost every other common lead is favored against skarm.
You've also got 3 phys defensive pokes but no specially defensive ones.
Starmie and swampert seem to also be doing similar things.

If you're set on using these Pokemon, I'd recommend reworking starmie, Scizor, or jirachi to be a special switch in to set up, and leaning more into swampert being defensive (phys or spec) with at least protect.
Lead water types with ice beam are gaining favor currently, so swamp might be a good lead as long as you protect scout for hp grass against zapdos. Not starmie though, since it's your only rapid spinner on a team so weak to spikes.
Early-Mid game skarm is a little better than lead, since you'll know what it can come in on safely

Also, not necessary, but just a heads up- baton passing one stat is legal in gen 3, so it's possible that you'd want to run bp on Scizor with either agility or swords and no salac

If you're not set on using these, the first thing to switch out would be Machamp. It struggles to settle between needing rock slide and earthquake, and 130 guts attack seems enormous until you see how many other Pokemon in advou also have 130+ attack plus other boosts. Breloom, heracross, or medicham, for instance, are all almost universally better. It's also overlapping in being a physical setup sweeper when you also have Scizor, which really slows down the team when roar + spikes is already an answer to everything else here

When I faced BP Celebi, it baton passed two stats. it got them at one time from Calm Mind. did you mean baton passing from a single move is allowed?

Based on you advice to make Scizor Specially Defensive, and since Scizor did not have Technician or U-Turn in Hoenn, I decided to preserve my old team's traits by using Careful 252 SpDef Forretress, to Toxic or Explode on threats. Forretress lacks some Speed and ATK that Scizor has, but it matters less when Spinning, Exploding, or Toxic'ing. The last move is Earthquake and since there's no Heatran in this Gen its only purpose is for Jirachi and Metagross which are immune to Toxic and resist Explosion. Scizor doesn't sweep.

Machamp, while being UUBL, will stay for now, people seem unprepared for a way to hit a pure-Fighting type. I also removed Focus Punch on Swampert for Substitute, but kept the EVs.

Slot I am least confident in rn is Jirachi.

Sorry, I worded that terribly. Across the team, you can have 1 way of passing stats, so you can pass any number of stacks of 1 status move, or have speed boost, or 1 berry. For example you can pass 6 calm minds from one Pokemon, but agility plus salac can't be passed even though they're both speed, since it's still technically two ways.

Offensive moves with a stat boosting secondary effect can still be slotted in. So you can run bp with agility, metal claw, and silver wind for example, but I'm unsure if it turns off secondary effects in this scenario, like how freeze clause works. I had one team with a Scizor to try and pass agility +silver wind, but it never got the silver boost across several games so I'm not entirely sure if that's what's happening or bad rng

As for other suggestions, I'll leave those to others, because I'm only average :P

vapicuno

你的价值比自己想象中的所有还要低。我却早已解脱,享受幸福
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Hello. Your team looks like six completely unsynergistic pokemon smashed together, which it is, since you basically ported it over from DPP.

If I were to split your team into two, Skarmory and Starmie go on one side, and Machamp and Scizor, go on the other. Swampert and Jirachi are kinda in between depending on sets.

That's because roughly speaking Starmie likes Spikes as it has super effective moves to hit flyers. Machamp and Scizor, on the other hand, are very good vs grounded targets but don't really like flying targets. So either replace the Spikes part of the team or the non-Spikes part completely.

Wish Jirachi fits on a very small number of teams. You're probably better using CM + 3 attacks or SubCM usually.

Hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)