Harvest

In game text: The same berry can be used infinitely within one battle.

Pokemon who learn Harvest in the Dream World:

-Exeggcute
-Exeggutor
-Tropius

This ability has really gotten me thinking about the uses of infinite berries. It seems really versatile as you can have immunity to status and a 100% heal with Lum Berry, you can always go first with Custap Berry, you can achieve some incredible health recovery with Sitrus Berry, and you can remove a weakness with one of the resistance berries.

Although it is very gimmicky, I am going to have to abuse the infinite PP acquired with Leppa Berry. For the Laughs, I am thinking of running Dual Screens with an Aqua Ring/Ingrain/Baton Pass Smeargle and Harvest Tropius w/Leppa Berry. Under the premise that Aqua Ring + Ingrain will restore 12.5% of my health each turn, I will alternate between Substitute and Protect each turn (like Stallrein) and never run out of health because of AR/Ingrain and never run out of PP because of Leppa/Harvest.

I am not sure how viable all of this is going to be because of the pure gimmickness of it all. But I think we be seeing the rare use of it in competitive play.

I'd like to know more about how this might work. My main thoughts were on Sitrus (Tropius/Exeggutor HAVE to be able to be taken out in two blows), Lum (I do not think there is a person alive that would not like to have a completely immune-to-status Pokemon.), and a Resist Berry like Yache to quite literally remove a weakness.

For example, I see more along the lines of this for Tropius.

Typical DD Spread, Lum/Yache/Occa
Dragon Dance
Fly
Earthquake
Roost

You can either have a sweeper that is immune to status, or negate one of Tropius's weak points. I could see some other uses for perhaps Exxegutor, like a Bug Resist berry.

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I originally was theorymonning a Sub/Protect set getting down to <25% and abusing stat up berries, but I think infinite Lums is heaps and bounds more useful. With Harvest, Exeggutor and Tropius can basically have Hydration without having to worry about the rain. Rest -> 100% health -> Wake up thanks to Lum -> Regenerate a new Lum -> Repeat. Of course, Tropius and Exeggutor both have really great alternative abilities in Chlorophyll and Solar Power and I just don't see either of them giving that up, especially in VGC play. Still a potentially interesting ability, especially combined with the move that allows Berry passing.

My thinking...
1) Pinch berries would require entering a "pinch" each time, i.e. you would have to heal over 25% after first use then lose HP again to reactivate.
2) It's not a 100% instant regeneration of the berry.

Pinch-berries being used for more boosts seems interesting.
I wonder how the "infinitely" part works though. For instance, Harvesting a pinch-berry for a +6 boost (possibly in all stats with Starf Berry) in one turn doesn't seem probable. I could imagine it being once per turn or something like that, in which case Protect could be used to get additional boosts.
Also, do you think Natural Gift might be viable?

...Starf Berry is pretty awesome. Baton Pass the Aqua Ring and Ingrain to Tropius, Substitute down to your Berry, then alternate between Protect and Substitute. You'll get an average of +2 in every stat with 16 Substitutes.

^
That would be quite scary to face in battle o.0

Yay, Eggy finally gets reliable recovery! <3
LumRest will be so annoying to face though. -_______-

They both have 4x weaknesses, Tropius to very common ice moves and exeggutor to the very useful u-turn, and there are a good number of new bugs this gen. Lumrest on either of them is not very viable, since they can be easily 1hkoed with theese weaknesses.

IIRC, Occa Berry gives an 80 Base Power Fire move when used with Natural Cure. This means that you could lose you Fire weakness on one of these Pokemon as well as having an 80 Base Physical Fire move to use against Steels.

Here. I'll make a comprehensive list.

Cheri Berry Cures Paralysis
Not as useful as the Lum Berry.
02 Chesto Berry Cures Sleep
03 Pecha Berry Cures Poison
04 Rawst Berry Cures Burn
05 Aspear Berry Cures Freeze
06 Leppa Berry Restores 10 PP
Useful for PPStall, but Tropius/Exeggutor probably aren't great at that.
07 Oran Berry Restores 10 HP
: /
08 Persim Berry Cures Confusion
09 Lum Berry Cures any status ailment
Infinite status resist! Wewhew!
10 Sitrus Berry Restores 25% HP
Could be useful; if you BP'd some defense to a Harvester, they'd probably be hard to take down utilizing this.
11 Figy Berry Restores 12.5% HP, confuses Pokémon that dislike spicy food
Not as useful as the Sitrus Berry.
12 Wiki Berry Restores 12.5% HP, confuses Pokémon that dislike dry food
13 Mago Berry Restores 12.5% HP, confuses Pokémon that dislike sweet food
14 Aguav Berry Restores 12.5% HP, confuses Pokémon that dislike bitter food
15 Iapapa Berry Restores 12.5% HP, confuses Pokémon that dislike sour food
16 Razz Berry Able to be traded for accessories
17 Bluk Berry Able to be traded for accessories
18 Nanab Berry Able to be traded for accessories
19 Wepear Berry Able to be traded for accessories
20 Pinap Berry Able to be traded for accessories
21 Pomeg Berry Lowers HP EVs, raises happiness
22 Kelpsy Berry Lowers Attack EVs, raises happiness
23 Qualot Berry Lowers Defense EVs, raises happiness
24 Hondew Berry Lowers Special Attack EVs, raises happiness
25 Grepa Berry Lowers Special Defense EVs, raises happiness
26 Tamato Berry Lowers Speed EVs, raises happiness
27 Cornn Berry Able to be traded for accessories
28 Magost Berry Able to be traded for accessories
29 Rabuta Berry Able to be traded for accessories
30 Nomel Berry Able to be traded for accessories
31 Spelon Berry Able to be traded for accessories
32 Pamtre Berry Able to be traded for accessories
33 Watmel Berry Able to be traded for accessories
34 Durin Berry Able to be traded for accessories
35 Belue Berry Able to be traded for accessories
36 Occa Berry Weakens foe's super effective Fire-type move
Surprise switch in to a fire move? Except with Tropius and Exeggutor, the sun will probably be up so I doubt it'll matter.
37 Passho Berry Weakens foe's super effective Water-type move
38 Wacan Berry Weakens foe's super effective Electric-type move
39 Rindo Berry Weakens foe's super effective Grass-type move
40 Yache Berry Weakens foe's super effective Ice-type move
Surprise switch in to an ice move?
41 Chople Berry Weakens foe's super effective Fighting-type move
42 Kebia Berry Weakens foe's super effective Poison-type move
Yeah. Right.
43 Shuca Berry Weakens foe's super effective Ground-type move
44 Coba Berry Weakens foe's super effective Flying-type move
I doubt it.
45 Payapa Berry Weakens foe's super effective Psychic-type move
46 Tanga Berry Weakens foe's super effective Bug-type move
Maybe for Exeggutor.
47 Charti Berry Weakens foe's super effective Rock-type move
Maybe for Tropius.
48 Kasib Berry Weakens foe's super effective Ghost-type move
49 Haban Berry Weakens foe's super effective Dragon-type move
50 Colbur Berry Weakens foe's super effective Dark-type move
51 Babiri Berry Weakens foe's super effective Steel-type move
52 Chilan Berry Weakens foe's Normal-type move
53 Liechi Berry Raises Attack when HP falls below 25%
Ooh. Now this could be neat with Substitute.
54 Ganlon Berry Raises Defense when HP falls below 25%
:/
55 Salac Berry Raises Speed when HP falls below 25%
This could be neat with Substitute.
56 Petaya Berry Raises Special Attack when HP falls below 25%
57 Apicot Berry Raises Special Defense when HP falls below 25%
58 Lansat Berry Raises critical hit ratio when HP falls below 25%
59 Starf Berry Raises a random stat when HP falls below 25%
Aah. Now this could be epic with Substitute.
60 Enigma Berry Restores holder's HP if hit by a super effective move
Potentially interesting. But with all these high powered sweepers around, I'm not sure they'd be able to take a super effective move.
61 Micle Berry Raises the accuracy of one move when HP falls below 25%
What does this do exactly?
62 Custap Berry Causes the holder to go first once when HP falls below 25%
Hm. The two harvesters are kind of slow, so maybe..
63 Jaboca Berry Causes recoil on foe if holder is hit by a physical move
Potentially useful to wear the foe down.
64 Rowap Berry Causes recoil on foe if holder is hit by a special move
Potentially useful to wear the foe down.

#1 Lum Berry / Chesto Berry + Rest for reliable instant recovery
#2 [insert random berry, that boosts stats] + Sub/Protect
#3 Custap Berry abuse (Endure, when you keep SS away w/ Poli / Ntales?)
#4 damage reducing berries for losing a weakness
(#5 Natural Gift abuse
#6 Leppa Berry for PP stalling (TC))

To be honest, only #1 and #3 sounds like it would work reasonable well, but first I need to see Tropius and Eggz move pool changes.

PS: Exeggcute + Oran Berry in LC sounds fun, too bad Exeggcute is kinda bad in LC, bar Sunny Day abuse.

Don Honchkrorleone

Happy Qwilfish the nightmare
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
This Harvest makes me think of a gimmicky Natural Gift SD set.

Exeggutor @ Salac berry
Adamant Nature
Ability: Harvest
Evs.: In your preference. I'm not good in Math

~ Swords Dance
~ Wood Hammer/Seed Bomb
~ Natural Gift
~ Zen Headbutt/Explosion

Gimmick at best and only works for UU or lower. Swords Dance is for raise his ATK. Wood Hammer and Seed Bomb is that old question between power X lasting longer. Natural Gift with Salac berry gives you a 80 base Fighting-type physical attack to nail Houndoom, Shiftry and Cacturne, the most threatening thing that it may encounter that resists to the Grass/Psychic combo, with the additional bonus of raising your Spe. You can try other berries too. Zen Headbutt is STAB, gives you a good STAB and doesn't kill you, while Explosion is extremely powerful but kills you.

As I said, gimmick at best, but may work.

sounds interesting with tropius's Average bulk and access to leech seed and possibly some defencive passing could make a hard oponent to take down with either sitrus or Lum berry.
chlorophyll could help it outspeed a few to get leech seed early.

Neither Eggy nor Tropius are really fast or bulky enough to abuse instant recovery. Their other abilities (Chlorophyll and Solar Power respectively) give them niches under the sun, but Harvest forces them to function at their awful speed/attacking power.

Maybe LumRest under Trick Room for Exeggutor? Seems like a lot of work for a two-attack sweeper that won't be too much trouble to counter.

Hmmm like I said lumrest is definantly out. But custap could work very well.

Tropius @ custap
Adamant, harvest
252 atk/244 hp/14 speed or defence
Acrobat (if he gets it, all the m### things are annoying)/Leafblade (I may be mixing up acrobat with another move too, the one that doubles in power with no hold item)
Earthqauke
Swords Dance
Substitute

516 atk after a swords dance with a 110 bp move (assmuning custap is used up and then counts as no item, and custap comes back at the end of the turn-depending on how harvest works, this may not work), and essentially has infinite speed (is outsped by priority moves however, seeing as they ignore speed). Flying + ground has excellent coverage, only being resisted by levitating electrics and levitating steels. Grass+ground isn't so good, being resisted by flying and grass types. Could make a good counter to weather teams that abuse clorophyll, swift swim, and sand throw. The big problem is actually getting him behind a substitute. Hp evs give him hp divisible by 4.

Awesome ability but isn't Exeggutor a bit slow for that? Tropius may return with a bang thanks to this ability but Exeggutor is still screwed up.

So for Pinch Berries, with Natural Gift, it can use it up each turn, which is safer than Substituting since I am not sure how that works out.

Don't forget, Exeggutor gets Swords Dance and Calm Mind, so if it has a Custap/Salac Berry berry it even switch into a hitting deal 75% or more damage (or less than 75% but Stealth Rocks/Spikes makes it 75% or more) activating Custap/Salac Berry for the next turn, Sleep Powder first, then boost as they switch, then Sweep with your 2 attacking moves.

Petaya can work in Trick Room:

Exeg. @ Petaya Berry
Harvest
Max SpA, Max HP, 4 Sp.D.
(+Sp.A. - Spe)

Sleep Powder
Trick Room
Energy Ball
Psychic

Turn 0 [Before Trick Room]:Sleep as you take a hit of 75% or more damage, activating Petaya Berry. You have +1 Sp.A.

Turn 1: Trick Room on the switch, as you maintain 25% HP and re-activate the Berry now with +2 Sp.A. With essentially a Nasty Plot and going first, have Exeggutor attack for the next 4 turns.

Turn 2: With +2 Sp.A. Ex. will do plenty of damage! Petaya reactivates to make it +3.

Turn 3: Do another Attack the next turn off of +3 Base 125 Special Attack. Harvest reactivates Petaya and makes it + 4.

Turn 4: "". Petaya Makes it +5.

Turn 5: "". Petaya Makes it Plus +6.

Exeggutor loses Trick Room and dies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)