Halloween Writing Contest (Writing Room and Canalave Library)

Approved by: sirDonovan

This year, we rise anew. The Mythology room has been reborn: step into the Canalave Library! Our topics have expanded from just sheer mythology to include ancient history, genealogy, and legends. So how does one celebrate such a re-branding? With a joint Halloween event!

That’s right! Once again this year, the Writing and Canalave Library rooms will celebrate Halloween with a large writing event! Tell us your spooky stories! Prefer a more atmospheric piece? Share a poem with us! Do you rely on visuals? Share a screenplay! Maybe you want to share a nonfiction story of an urban legend in your area? Share that too!

The possibilities are endless! You just need to follow these simple rules:
  1. The accepted formats are prose, poetry, and screenplay (you may submit 1 of each).

2. The topic is fictional or nonfictional legend surrounding Halloween, with entries related to Halloween (autumn, scary stuff, October, etc) being accepted.

3. There is a 2,500 word limit.

4. The deadline is October 31st (the release date of the results is November 7th).

5. Early submissions are allowed.

6. Don’t plagiarize.
See, less than ten! Just by following these rules and winning, you will receive:
  1. 1,000 quills for use in Writing and other rooms that use The Scribe.

2. A $5 Amazon gift card.

3. Voice in both Writing and Canalave Library*.
*Voice is preconditioned on maintaining the generally accepted standards a voiced user is held up to on Pokemon Showdown. Failure to maintain these standards may result in a demotion.

Please post all entries in this thread. May the Great Pumpkin have mercy on thy soul!

Last edited:
I'm just curious. Will there be more than one winner? And 2; This may be a dumb question, but we are allowed to use pastebin or google docs, correct? Sinces thats usually where I do mine.

I'm just curious. Will there be more than one winner? And 2; This may be a dumb question, but we are allowed to use pastebin or google docs, correct? Sinces thats usually where I do mine.
There's going to be second and third place prizes, but only first place will win the voice prize and the gift card. The second and third place prizes will win quills. And pastebin and google docs are perfect for submission!

For future reference, if you have any questions, please ask the following (or in this thread is fine as well), who are the judges: Megacrazy, WritingWolf, Snapeasy, Mystifi, and I! Good luck Y'all!

Last edited:

DEG

The night belongs to you
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm so bad at writing horror stuff. Need to make other themes writing competitions.

Title: Goodnight Serenades.
Name: Dream Eater Gengar
Submission: Here.

Goodnight Serenades.

A whisper in the wind calling my name,
Everynight it’s the same,
The same damned voice wandering,
A whisper of sins conjuring,
That’s what it sounded like,
Hid in the wind and strike,
Strike my deepest fears,
This whisper haunts my ears,
And wraps my heart around,
Until it fades away and drowns,
And that’s where it gets more scary,
My room turns into a cemetery,
With souls rambling between screams,
Shattered glasses and dreams,
Screaming my name loudly,
Followed by laughs that are lousy,
Every night, I cannot fight back,
Every night, I venture in the black,
Every night, these souls visit me,
Torturing me with what they could be,
Blaming me for their death,
Blaming me for their loss of breath,
As I hide under my blanket and cry,
They follow me with a creepy “Why?”
“Why?”, “Why?”, “Why?”, “Why?”
“Don’t you think we’re your allies?”
“You betrayed us again, AGAIN!”
Outside crows circle the house,
Trapped like a mere mouse,
As some of them crashes on the window,
Do you want me to continue?
My parents aren’t aware of that,
Last time we sat and had a chat,
They sent me to an asylum,
Trying to bring back the silence,
But that never helped me,
My mind was never the key,
Everything was real,
Like a sort of deal,
I could feel them around me,
But I could never flee,
My screams were muffled by the atmosphere,
Only thing I could do is cry my dear,
I was in a sort of nightmare,
I never knew where,
It felt so real but I was in between,
Maybe I could see the unseen,
These whispers calling out my name,
Were nearly going to tame,
Me, but I got used to it,
But when fear decides to quit,
These spirits don’t,
And they changed the tone,
A broken piano sound accompanied them,
And once again I went numb,
I could distinguish words,
“Run from the world”,
Repeating again and again,
And it soon turned to physical pain,
I could feel these chains,
And these blood stains,
All around my body,
As the piano sound intensifies,
Distant growing cries,
Passed by my heart,
I don’t know, that sound could be art,
But to me it constructed this nightmare,
Built haunted walls that could stare,
Right into my thoughts and change,
To something even more strange,
And this agony grew bigger,
While this world contaminated the mirror,
A smiling face possessed the objects,
Object after object, like something saying “next”,
I lost everything that belonged to me,
And soon I was no longer free,
One day it possessed my soul,
I fell slowly and slowly into this hole,
I couldn’t hear my screams anymore,
I couldn’t control my mind anymore,
I could only hear the laughter, the whispers,
The smiles, I could see see the figures,
The chains that I was locked into,
And the art that my blood drew,
For the first time I was trying to reach these pills,
They looked so far, like up the hills,
My hands were trembling,
And these laughs were deafening,
As soon as I touched the prescription,
I swallowed them to fix my condition,
But nothing worked, I lost control,
“WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL US?”,
“WE ARE YOU NOW, STOP MAKING A FUSS”,
I succumbed… slowly…
I fell… lowly…
They haunted me till the end,
Until I couldn’t defend,
I slept under the autumn breeze,
While the crows rejoiced between the trees,
An eternal sleep.
“Can you not weep?”,
I told him, I’m sorry I’m one of them now,
I’m forced to do this I vow,
And with them I whispered,
As he cried and listened,
“Why?”, “Why?”, “Why?”,
You’re going to become one of us and die,
Like me…, do not resist, do not even try.

My short story submission: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1A3ANzCk9wu0hFn7ZAyhnKR3RG2lRgQgrQxxuBCTdQu0/edit
Title: Halloween: A tale
PS Name: SupernovaStriker or Super✧Nova✧Striker (may be variations)

Super✧Nova✧Striker

Super✧Nova✧Striker
I UPDATED MY STORY SINCE 10/13/17 (I have a weeklong trip where I wont have computer/internet acess, so I uploaded the thread-post early in case I would've forgotten)

Approved by: sirDonovan

This year, we rise anew. The Mythology room has been reborn: step into the Canalave Library! Our topics have expanded from just sheer mythology to include ancient history, genealogy, and legends. So how does one celebrate such a re-branding? With a joint Halloween event!

That’s right! Once again this year, the Writing and Canalave Library rooms will celebrate Halloween with a large writing event! Tell us your spooky stories! Prefer a more atmospheric piece? Share a poem with us! Do you rely on visuals? Share a screenplay! Maybe you want to share a nonfiction story of an urban legend in your area? Share that too!

The possibilities are endless! You just need to follow these simple rules:
  1. The accepted formats are prose, poetry, and screenplay (you may submit 1 of each).

2. The topic is fictional or nonfictional legend surrounding Halloween, with entries related to Halloween (autumn, scary stuff, October, etc) being accepted.

3. There is a 2,500 word limit.

4. The deadline is October 31st (the release date of the results is November 7th).

5. Early submissions are allowed.

6. Don’t plagiarize.
See, less than ten! Just by following these rules and winning, you will receive:
  1. 1,000 quills for use in Writing and other rooms that use The Scribe.

2. A $5 Amazon gift card.

3. Voice in both Writing and Canalave Library*.
*Voice is preconditioned on maintaining the generally accepted standards a voiced user is held up to on Pokemon Showdown. Failure to maintain these standards may result in a demotion.

Please post all entries in this thread. May the Great Pumpkin have mercy on thy soul!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Mt9ttqLBerEMI6Xrh_FXMU1kEa1HkSwCB1Nk7eEOMEw/edit

Um, two submissions again XD

My poem: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1J3rRPxxijR1ml7RZEqKisTymJb0gLUNYK7SFBUCxh_s/edit?usp=sharing (Devil in the details)
[I chose a special type of poem that has different meaning as a whole, and two poems inside them.]
[Update: I checked what type of poem it is. Searching, it's called an equivoque, which gives different meanings when reading alternate lines! :o)

My short story: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Lv878VFihQxtmL09vOmr_m1BU2NMtR_lWJ_u0T3QOv4/edit?usp=sharing (A shepherd's dream)

My username's Canis Minoris. Yay.

Last edited:
Alright, folks, it's now ten days out! If you plan on entering and haven't started work on your entry yet, I'd start now! Remember, the deadline is the 31st. Which means it'll be due before 12 AM November 1st. Good luck, and may the spooks be with you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)