OU Gyarados

Anish

luckynbad
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

Gyarados is a good sweeper in OU due to its access to an excellent boosting move in Dragon Dance alongside solid offensive stats and a sterling offensive typing. It also has two extremely useful abilities in Moxie and Intimidate, which can allow it to snowball and aid it in setting up, respectively. Gyarados's decent bulk and good defensive typing provide it multiple setup opportunities and let it take hits from premier Pokemon in the tier such as Protean Greninja as well as Mega Swampert. However, Gyarados is hurt by its lackluster Speed tier, with Pokemon like Tapu Lele and Zygarde outspeeding it before a boost and most common Choice Scarf users and ultra-fast Pokemon like Mega Alakazam outspeeding it after a boost. Gyarados can also run a Mega set, which is notably trickier for some Choice Scarf users such as Garchomp to revenge kill, but it struggles with the prevalence of checks like Tangrowth and Toxapex. Gyarados, especially non-Mega sets, also faces competition from other Dragon Dance sweepers like Dragonite and Salamence, which are trickier to revenge kill due to Multiscale or have higher Attack and Speed. However, Gyarados has the ability to break past premier defensive Pokemon like Landorus-T more easily, along with access to moves like Taunt and Substitute and a better defensive typing.

[SET]
name: Dragon Dance Sweeper
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 2: Bounce
move 3: Waterfall
move 4: Taunt / Earthquake
item: Flyinium Z
ability: Moxie
nature: Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dragon Dance allows Gyarados to perform its role as a sweeper or punch holes early on, if needed. Bounce works in tandem with Flyinium Z to give Gyarados access to a 160-Base Power STAB attack in Supersonic Skystrike to hit Tangrowth, Mega Venusaur, and Amoonguss, as well as doing massive damage to bulky Water-types. Waterfall hits popular physically defensive Pokemon like Landorus-T for super effective damage and gives Gyarados good neutral coverage. Taunt helps Gyarados deal with Celesteela, Mew, Unaware Clefable, Skarmory, and Toxapex by blocking Leech Seed, Will-O-Wisp, recovery moves, and phazing; however, Gyarados still has to be wary of Scald burns from Toxapex. Earthquake is a solid option on Gyarados, as it gives it the capability to hit Toxapex, Magnezone, Mega Mawile, and Magearna for super effective damage. Gyarados can also use Substitute to avoid being statused by moves like Lava Plume and Scald while still being protected from Will-O-Wisp and Leech Seed, as well as making it harder for Choice Scarf users to revenge kill it.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread maximizes Gyarados's power and speed, and a Jolly nature is preferred to outspeed offensive Adamant Landorus-T before a boost and Tapu Koko after a boost. Moxie allows Gyarados to snowball after a KO, and it works well with Supersonic Skystrike, which can easily get a KO due to its great power. Flyinium Z allows Gyarados to use a 160-Base Power move in Supersonic Skystrike for one turn, which gives it coverage on Grass-types like Tangrowth and helps it do massive damage to opposing Pokemon.

Usage Tips
========

This set can be used either to soften up walls early-game or to clean late-game. If Gyarados's main role is as an early-game breaker, it can afford to take some damage early on and also can use Supersonic Skystrike aggressively to soften down Pokemon for a teammate. Gyarados can also bluff a Mega set and lure in Grass-types like Tangrowth and take them out for a teammate. If Gyarados is being used as a late-game cleaner, try to avoid letting it taking chip damage, especially from Stealth Rock, as it can decrease its setup opportunities or leave it susceptible to a revenge killer. Gyarados should set up on Pokemon that cannot threaten it, such as defensive Landorus-T lacking Stone Edge, Mega Scizor, and Choice-locked Pokemon like Choice Specs Keldeo locked into Secret Sword. You should also be wary of Choice Scarf users and try to remove them before setting up, since they could interfere with a Gyarados sweep.

Team Options
========

Gyarados struggles against defensive Electric-types like Zapdos, so it fits well with Pokemon that can wear them down, such as Mega Pinsir, and Pokemon that can pressure them, such as Tyranitar and Latios. Latios also provides entry hazard control, as do Mega Scizor and Mew, which is appreciated because Stealth Rock can wear Gyarados down. Mega Scizor can also pivot Gyarados into Pokemon like Heatran, which it can set up on, while Mew can spread burns to ease setting up for Gyarados. Latias can also be used instead of Latios to offer Gyarados Healing Wish support.

Stealth Rock and Spikes support can help Gyarados, as the residual damage can often wear down common checks like Toxapex, Choice Scarf users, and Tapu Koko into the KO range of a +1 hit. Taunt Gyarados can also help the hazard setters by preventing most Defoggers bar Zapdos from removing the hazards. Ferrothorn and Spikes Greninja can both fit well with Gyarados, as Ferrothorn can check most Electric-types bar Magnezone, while Spikes Greninja can work with Gyarados to weaken Steel-types. Stealth Rock setters like Landorus-T, Mew, and Clefable are also good options.

[SET]
name: Mega Dragon Dance
move 2: Crunch
move 4: Taunt / Substitute
item: Gyaradosite
ability: Intimidate
evs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dragon Dance boosts Mega Gyarados's Attack and Speed, allowing it to set up late-game to clean. Crunch is a strong primary STAB move that gives Gyarados good neutral coverage and hits Psychic-types such as Mew, Latios, and Slowbro super effectively. Waterfall hits Ground-types like Landorus-T for super effective damage and hits certain Dark-resistant Pokemon like Clefable for neutral damage. Taunt allows Gyarados to avoid Haze and phazing from Toxapex and Skarmory, prevents Celesteela from getting residual damage through Leech Seed, and works with Mold Breaker to avoid Will-O-Wisp from Sableye. Substitute is an alternative to Taunt that still lets Gyarados dodge Leech Seed and Will-O-Wisp but further allows Gyarados to avoid status from moves like Lava Plume and Scald, making it easier for it to set up, and helps it avoid being revenge killed. Earthquake can be used to hit Magearna, Toxapex, Mega Mawile, Tapu Koko, Magnezone, and Rotom-W harder. Ice Fang is another option that does more than Crunch to bulky Grass-types like Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur, as well as hitting Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Zygarde harder, so it can be used alongside Earthquake over Waterfall to improve coverage.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack investment allows Gyarados to hit as hard as possible, while maximum Speed investment and a Jolly nature allow it to outspeed Tapu Koko after a Dragon Dance. Intimidate allows Gyarados to check Pokemon like Weavile and generates setup opportunities. Gyaradosite allows Gyarados to Mega Evolve into Mega Gyarados.

Usage Tips
========

Mega Gyarados should set up only after its checks like Toxapex, Zapdos, Tangrowth, and Tapu Fini have been removed or weakened into the range of its attacks at +1, and it should aim to set up on Pokemon that cannot threaten it, such as defensive Landorus-T, Garchomp Choice-locked into Earthquake, Battle Bond Greninja, Heatran if carrying Substitute, and specially defensive Celesteela if carrying Taunt or Substitute. It is best to avoid taking chip damage early on, as doing so can reduce Gyarados's setup opportunities late-game; keeping Stealth Rock off the field helps in that respect. Being careful about the timing of Mega Evolving with Gyarados can also help, as holding off on doing so allows Gyarados to set up on Pokemon like Garchomp locked into Earthquake and Keldeo locked into Secret Sword. On the other hand, Mega Evolving allows Gyarados to take neutral damage from Stealth Rock and gives it a Psychic immunity and Dark resistance, which is useful for taking on Choice-locked Psychic-types like Tapu Lele and Latios and Battle Bond Greninja .

Team Options
========

Mega Gyarados fits well with Pokemon that can lure common checks to it like Tangrowth, Toxapex, and Zapdos. Protean Greninja with Extrasensory works extremely well, as it can lure in Toxapex and nail Tangrowth on the switch by bluffing Battle Bond. Pokemon that can pressure the aforementioned checks are also good partners. Three attacks defensive Zapdos can pressure Toxapex and Tangrowth, as well as Steel-types like Mega Scizor, and it can help with Keldeo and Tapu Fini. Latios can also check Keldeo, pressure Toxapex, do massive damage to Tangrowth, and run Hidden Power Fire to bait in Steel-types like Mega Scizor and Magearna and take them out for Gyarados. Mega Gyarados is aided by Pokemon that heavily pressure offensive teams, which it sometimes struggles to deal with, such as offensive Shift Gear Magearna and Autotomize Celesteela. Magearna can punish checks to Gyarados with Thunderbolt, especially with an Electrium Z, while Celesteela can set up on checks to Mega Gyarados like Tangrowth.

Mega Gyarados appreciates entry hazard removal, so Tapu Fini can be good partner. Defog Latios has good offensive synergy with Gyarados and can take on Keldeo and Zapdos, pressure Toxapex, and weaken Steel-types for Gyarados. Tapu Fini also allows Mega Gyarados to avoid Scald burns with Misty Terrain and helps with Choice Scarf Keldeo. Defog Zapdos and Defog Mew are also good partners for this reason.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A bulky Dragon Dance set with Leftovers and Substitute and Bounce is an option to set up more easily and avoid being revenge killed by Choice Scarf users, as well as giving it some form of recovery. Gyarados can also use Rest and a Chesto Berry instead of Substitute to keep itself healthy and generate multiple setup opportunities, though this does make it slightly more vulnerable to Choice Scarf users. Stone Edge is another option on regular Gyarados to give it coverage to hit Zapdos. Mega Gyarados can also run both Substitute and Taunt, while forgoing Crunch, to be able to handle Toxapex and stall teams better, but it does miss out on Crunch hitting Water-resistant Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Tangrowth for neutral damage, which would otherwise let Gyarados break past them after some chip damage. Other Z-Crystals like Waterium Z and Groundium Z are also usable on Gyarados. Waterium Z Gyarados can OHKO defensive Zapdos after Stealth Rock with +1 Hydro Vortex, OHKO faster Zapdos without Stealth Rock, and break past Steel-types like Magearna, Mega Mawile, and Magnezone without running Earthquake. Groundium Z Gyarados can OHKO Toxapex and take out Steel-types like Magearna without a boost. However, both are reliant on a multi-turn attack to bypass Grass-types in Bounce, and Waterium Z sets also compound Gyarados's issue with Water-types.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Electric-types, such as Zapdos, Magnezone, and Rotom-W are among Gyarados's most solid answers due to their ability to take on both Supersonic Skystrike and Mega variants . However, if running Earthquake, Gyarados can break past Magnezone, while Mega Gyarados can hit Rotom-W through Levitate.

**Water-types**: Water-types like Tapu Fini, Toxapex, Keldeo, Azumarill, and Rotom-W can beat Mega Gyarados comfortably, except for Earthquake sets for Rotom-W and Toxapex, and can threaten to KO it with their secondary STAB attack, remove Dragon Dance boosts with Haze, or burn Gyarados. While Supersonic Skystrike sets can punish Tapu Fini, non-Choice Scarf Keldeo, and Azumarill, these targets can often scout for it too.

**Revenge Killers**: Faster Pokemon like Mega Alakazam and Choice Scarf Keldeo, Garchomp, Greninja, Latios and Terrakion can outspeed Flyinium Z Gyarados even after a Dragon Dance and can do massive damage to or OHKO it. Choice Scarf Terrakion, Choice Scarf Keldeo, and Focus Blast Mega Alakazam can revenge kill Mega sets.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types like Tangrowth, Ferrothorn, Tapu Bulu, Mega Venusaur, and Amoonguss can all take on Mega Gyarados and threaten it with super effective STAB attacks, but all of them do have to be careful around Supersonic Skystrike and scout for it.

**Steel-types**: Bulky Steel-types like Magearna, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Mega Mawile, and Magnezone can be annoying if Gyarados does not carry Earthquake for Magearna, Mega Mawile, and Magnezone or Taunt for Skarmory. Mega Scizor can check Mega Gyarados, but it is setup bait for Supersonic Skystrike Gyarados.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types like Mega Heracross and Keldeo can deal with Mega Gyarados easily, but only Choice Scarf Keldeo can check Supersonic Skystrike Gyarados.

**Fairy-types**: Bulky Fairy-types such as Clefable, Tapu Bulu, Mega Mawile, and Magearna can check Mega Gyarados and threaten it with super effective STAB attacks, but Supersonic Skystrike Gyarados can punish the former two, while Earthquake can hit Magearna and Mega Mawile.

Last edited:
Hey i'm not a part of OU C&C, but one thing to note is your formatting is a little off, after each set you seem to have the bullets indented towards the right side of the page, when in fact they should all be in the same column. I'm sure you've seen this and the errors just came in editing, but here is the current template you'll want to follow to a tee for at least the beginning stages of an analysis!

Last edited:

Anish

luckynbad
Hey i'm not a part of OU C&C, but one thing to note is your formatting is a little off, after each set you seem to have the bullets indented towards the right side of the page, when in fact they should all be in the same column. I'm sure you've seen this and the errors just came in editing, but here is the current template you'll want to follow to a tee for at least the beginning stages of an analysis!
thanks for the advice, should be fixed now ( i decided to use * instead, because i couldnt find out why it was getting indented)!

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Overview

- Mention Moxie before Intimidate
- I would maybe remove the stallbreaker mention with Mega Gyarados. Mega Gyarados has an -okay- matchup at best against stall but it's still plagued if Toxapex is alive and kicking while not being the biggest fan of Clefable. It's still a bulky DDer that can be hard to stop, though.

Dragon Dance Sweeper

- I would slash Earthquake after Taunt. Earthquake is still kind of viable since Taunt doesn't stop Toxapex from trying to burn Gyarados with Scald so it becomes a risky play.
- I would also mention Supersonic Skystrike can plow through Ferrothorn - another Pokemon that Gyarados often has a hard time going through. Bear in mind you'll have to scout out for Protect.
Stealth Rocks

Always, ALWAYS call it Stealth Rock. Never call it Stealth Rocks. I see it mentioned multiple times too, so please please PLEASE fix that before making this QC 1/3.
* Moxie takes advantage of the kills a Supersonic Skystrike can get, and helps Gyarados clean after using the Z Move, which can ease getting a kill
??? I don't understand this sentence. Please re-word it.
* Gyarados appreciates hazard control, as Stealth Rocks can wear it down, so hazard removers like Tapu Fini, and Rapid Spin Excadrill are good partners
Mew, Mega Scizor, Latios before a lot of these. Tapu Fini doesn't really give a whole lot extra for Gyarados while Mega Scizor can U-turn on Heatran into Gyarados to threaten out Heatran and obtain a free Dragon Dance. Mew can spread Will-O-Wisp to have more Pokemon taken advantage of for setup. Latios is more offensive and it can lure checks such as Ferrothorn. Latias can also have a minor mention because it can provide Healing Wish.
* Gyarados appreciates Stealth Rocks and Spikes support, as they can often wear down common checks like Tapu Koko and Toxapex into range of a hit at +1, while Taunt Gyarados beats most defoggers, excluding Zapdos.
Mention examples of Spikers or Stealth Rock users that support Gyarados.

Mega

* Mega Gyarados fits well with Pokemon which can take advantage of common checks like Tangrowth, Toxapex and Zapdos or lure them in. Some exampes include Tectonic Rage Heatran, and Shattered Psyche Volcarona to lure Toxapex, while Swords Dance Devastating Drake Garchomp and Dragon Dance Devastating Drake Zygarde can lure AV Tangrowth for Gyarados.
I would refer to Extrasensory Greninja instead which can usually beat Toxapex and it's still an okay lure to Tangrowth. Shattered Psyche Volcarona usually is used as a lategame sweeper more than anything else.

I would probably expand a bit on Team Options here.
* Gyarados can run a Bulky DD set with Leftovers and Substitute, while still running Bounce, but that set does lack the power of Supersonic Skystrike, and often has to use a 2-turn move.
* Gyarados can run a Dragon Dance set with Rest and a Chesto Berry, but it still misses out on the power of Supersonic Skystrike, and has to use a 2-turn move in Bounce.
When writing this try to find a way to make it sound less... similar.
**Electric-types**: Electric types, such as Zapdos, Tapu Koko, Magnezone and Rotom Wash, are among Gyarados's most solid answers, due to their ability to take on both Supersonic Skystrike and Mega sets, except for Earthquake sets for Magnezone and Tapu Koko, and Mega Gyarados Earthquake for Rotom Wash while all electrics can hit Gyarados back for super effective damage.
In here I would list it in order of Zapdos, Magnezone, and Rotom-W. Tapu Koko isn't really something I would consider because they probably will overwhelm Tapu Koko after some chip damage.

Implement this for now and tag me when you're done. I probably have a few other things to note with this.

Anish

luckynbad
Colonel M implemented, also editted some parts which I believed were slightly outdated (like how I didnt mention a lot of relevant defoggers before)

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
For Keldeo just mention Scarf. Stone Edge still does an okay amount of damage to a weakened Gyarados and Icy Wind prevents Gyarados from having the Speed advantage most of the time (barring a miss). I would also probably prefer putting Greninja (Scarf) in over Nihilego.

We'll start with this and see what other QC members have to chime in with.

1/3

p2

Banned deucer.
highlight the competition gyara faces from dnite/mence in the overview

add groundium to other options and waterium tho the latter is less relevant without mgross but still worth mentioning

2/3

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mention some useful targets that Crunch hits on Mega Gyarados set, such as Mew, Latios, and Mega Slowbro.

QC 3/3 nice work.

I really feel it's worth specifically calling out that gyara cannot OHKO koko at +1 without earthquake. I've been using gyara on like 80% of my teams this meta, and this benchmark is super important for this mon.
If we're gonna run jolly to oustspeed it, shouldn't we at least be able to OHKO it?

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
don't put spaces on both sides of commas.....................

GP 1/2

[OVERVIEW]

Gyarados is a good sweeper win condition in OU , (RC) due to its access to an excellent boosting move in Dragon Dance, (RC) alongside solid offensive stats, (RC) and a sterling offensive typing. It also has access to two extremely useful abilities in Moxie and Intimidate, which can allow it to snowball and aid it in setting up, respectively. Gyarados's is further aided by its decent bulk and good defensive typing , which allows it to get provide it multiple setup opportunities , (RC) and let it can take hits from premier Pokemon in the tier such as Protean Greninja, (RC) as well as defensively help with Pokemon such as Mega Swampert. However, Gyarados is hurt by its lackluster Speed tier, with Pokemon like Tapu Lele and Zygarde (??) having the ability to outspeeding Zygarde before a boost, while and most common Choice Scarf users, (RC) and ultra-fast Pokemon like Mega Alakazam can outspeeding it after a boost. Gyarados can also run a Mega set which can Mega Evolved into Mega Gyarados, which is notably trickier for to revenge kill by some Choice Scarf users such as Garchomp and Greninja to revenge kill, but it struggles with the prevalence of checks like Tangrowth and Toxapex. Both forms of Gyarados, especially non-Mega sets regular Gyarados, also faces competition from other Dragon Dance sweepers like Dragonite and Salamence, which are with the former having access to Multiscale which makes it trickier to revenge kill due to Multiscale, while the latter has a or have higher Attack and Speed stat. However, Gyarados has the ability to break past premier defensive Pokemon like Landorus-T more easily, along with while also having access to moves like Taunt and Substitute, as well as and a better defensive typing.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dragon Dance allows Gyarados to perform its role as a sweeper, by boosting its Attack and Speed stat, which could also allow it to or punch holes early on, if needed. Bounce works in tandem with Flyinium Z to give Gyarados access to a 160-Base Power STAB attack in Supersonic Skystrike, which allows it to hit Tangrowth, Mega Venusaur, and Amoonguss, as well as doing massive damage to bulky Water-types and a strong attack. Waterfall gives Gyarados a STAB attack which hits popular physically defensive Pokemon like Landorus-T for super effective damage, while also giving it and gives Gyarados good neutral coverage. Taunt helps Gyarados deal with Celesteela, Mew, Unaware Clefable, Skarmory, (add comma) and Toxapex, (RC) by blocking allowing Gyarados to avoid Leech Seed, Will-O-Wisp, pressure recovery moves, and phazing or prevent itself from getting phazed or hazed, although; however, it still has to be wary of Scald burns from Toxapex. Earthquake is a solid option on Gyarados, as it gives it the capability capabilities to hit Toxapex, Magnezone, Mega Mawile, and Magearna for super effective damage. Gyarados can also use Substitute to avoid being statused by from moves like Lava Plume and Scald, (RC) while still being protected from Will-O-Wisp and Leech Seed, and makes as well as making it harder for Choice Scarf users to revenge kill it. (add period)

Set Details
========

The given EV spread maximizes Gyarados's power and speed, and while a Jolly nature is preferred to outspeed offensive Adamant Landorus-T Therian before a boost, (RC) and outspeed Tapu Koko after a boost Dragon Dance. Moxie allows Gyarados to snowball after a KO kill, and it works well with Supersonic Skystrike, which can easily get a KO due to its great is a powerful move and makes it easier to get a kill before Moxie boosts. Flyinium Z allows Gyarados to use a 160-Base Power one turn move in Supersonic Skystrike for one turn, which gives it helps it gain coverage on Grass-types like Tangrowth, (RC) and helps it do massive damage to opposing Pokemon.

Usage Tips
========

This set can be used either used early game to soften up walls early-game, (RC) or to clean late-game. If Gyarados's main role is as an early-game breaker, it can afford to take some damage early on, (RC) and also can use Supersonic Skystrike aggressively, (RC) to soften down Pokemon for a teammate. Gyarados can also bluff a Mega set and lure in Grasses-types like Tangrowth for a teammate. If it Gyarados is being used as a late-game cleaner, try to avoid letting it taking chip damage, especially from Stealth Rock, as it can decrease its setup opportunities or leave it susceptible to a revenge killer prevent Gyarados from taking a hit which would allow it to set up, or from a revenge killer after a boost. (is that right?) Gyarados should set up upon Pokemon that which cannot threaten it, such as defensive Landorus-T lacking Stone Edge, Mega Scizor Mega, and or Choice-locked Pokemon like Choice Specs Keldeo locked into Secret Sword. You should also be wary of about Choice Scarf users, (RC) and try to remove kill them before setting up, since they could mess up interfere with a Gyarados sweep.

Team Options
========

Gyarados struggles against defensive Electric-types like Zapdos, so it fits well with Pokemon that which can wear them down defensive electric-types like Zapdos, (add comma) such as Mega Pinsir, and Pokemon that which can pressure them, (add comma) such as Tyranitar and Latios, which. Latios also provides hazard control, as do Mega Scizor and Mew, which is appreciated because as Stealth Rock can wear it Gyarados down.Other hazard removers like Mega Scizor and Mew are also good partners. Mega Scizor can also pivot Gyarados into onto Pokemon like Heatran, which it can set up on, while Mew can spread burns to ease setting up for Gyarados. Latias can also be used instead of Latios to offer Gyarados Healing Wish support, while. (add period) Tapu Fini appreciates Gyarados's ability to pressure bulky Grass-types (what does Tapu Fini do for Gyarados in exchange?).

On the other hand, Stealth Rock and Spikes support can help Gyarados, as they residual damage can often wear down common checks like Toxapex, Choice Scarf users, and Tapu Koko into the KO range of a +1 hit at +1, and chip away at the health of Choice Scarfer users and Stealth Rock weakens Tapu Koko into +1 Waterfall range. Taunt Gyarados can also help the hazard setters by since Taunt can preventing most Defoggers bar Zapdos from removing the hazards clicking Defog. Ferrothorn and Spikes Greninja can both fit well with Gyarados it, as Ferrothorn can check most Electric-types bar Magnezone, while Spikes Greninja can work with Gyarados to weaken Steel-types. Stealth Rock setters like Landorus-T, Mew, and Clefable are also good options can fit well with Gyarados.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dragon Dance boosts Mega Gyarados's Attack and Speed, allowing it to set up late-game to clean. Crunch is a strong primary STAB move that, which gives Gyarados good neutral coverage, while hitting and hits Psychic-types such as Mew, Latios, (add comma) and Slowbro super effectively. Waterfall is Gyarados's secondary stab move, which hits Ground-types like Landorus-T for super effective damage, while also hitting and hits certain Dark-resistant Pokemon dark resists, like Clefable for neutral damage. Taunt allows Gyarados to avoid Haze and phazing from Toxapex and Skarmory respectively, while also preventing, prevents Celesteela from getting residual damage through Leech Seed, and works with Mold Breaker to avoid Will-O-Wisp from Sableye. Substitute is an alternative to Taunt, which that still lets Gyarados dodges Leech Seed and Will-O-Wisp, (RC) but further allows Gyarados to avoid statuses from moves like Lava Plume and Scald, making it easier for it to set up, and helps it while also allowing it to avoid being revenge killed. Earthquake can be used to hit Magearna, Toxapex, Mega Mawile, Tapu Koko, Magnezone, (add comma) and Rotom-Wash harder. Ice Fang is another option, which that does more than Crunch to bulky Grass-types like Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur, as well as hitting Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Zygarde harder, while still hitting Landorus T, so it can also be used alongside Earthquake over Waterfall, (RC) to improve coverage.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack and speed investment allows Gyarados to hit as hard as possible, while maximum Speed investment and a Jolly nature allows it to outspeed Tapu Koko after a Dragon Dance. Intimidate allows Gyarados to check Pokemon like Weavile, (RC) and allows it to generates setup opportunities. Gyaradosite allows Gyarados to Mega Evolve into Mega Gyarados. (add period)

Usage Tips
========

Mega Gyarados should set up only after its checks like Toxapex, Zapdos, Tangrowth, (add comma) and Tapu Fini have been removed, (RC) or weakened into the range of Mega Gyarados at +1, and it should aim to set up on Pokemon that which cannot threaten it, such as defensive Landorus-T, Choice locked Garchomp Choice locked into Earthquake, Battle Bond Greninja, and Heatran and Celesteela if carrying Substitute, and Celesteela if carrying or Taunt for the latter. (is that right?) It is best to avoid taking chip damage early on, as doing so it can sometimes reduce Gyarados's setup opportunities late-game, and; (add semicolon) keeping Stealth Rock off the field also helps Gyarados in that respect. Being careful about the timing of Mega Evolving with Gyarados can also help, as staying in non-Mega forme the regular form allows Gyarados to set up on Pokemon like Garchomp locked into Earthquake and Keldeo locked into Secret Sword. On the other hand, Mega Evolving allows Gyarados to take neutral damage from Stealth Rock, (RC) and gives it in a Psychic immunity, (RC) and the Dark resistance, which is useful for Choice-locked Psychic-types like Tapu Lele and Latios and for Battle Bond Greninja respectively.

Team Options
========

Mega Gyarados fits well with Pokemon that which can lure common checks to it like Tangrowth, Toxapex, (add comma) and Zapdos. Protean Greninja with Extrasensory works extremely well with it, (add comma) as it can lure in Toxapex, (RC) and can also nail Tangrowth on the switch by bluffing Battle Bond. Other lures include Tectonic Rage Heatran for Toxapex , (RC) and Swords Dance + Devastating Drake Garchomp and or Dragon Dance + Devastating Drake Zygarde for can lure Assault Vest Tangrowth for Gyarados. Pokemon that which can pressure the aforementioned checks are also good partners. Three attacks defensive Zapdos can pressure Toxapex and Tangrowth, and also pressure as well as Steel-types like Mega Scizor, and it can help with Keldeo and Tapu Fini. Latios can also check Keldeo, pressure while pressuring Toxapex, but it can also do massive damage to Tangrowth, (add comma) and can run Hidden Power Fire to bait in Steel-types like Mega Scizor and Magearna for Gyarados. Mega Gyarados is aided by Pokemon that heavily pressure offensive teams, which it sometimes struggles to deal with. Some such Pokemon include, such as offensive Trick Room and Shift Gear Magearna (are these two different sets of Magearna, or is it one set that has TR and Shift Gear? if the latter, say Trick Room + Shift Gear) and Autotomize Celesteela. Magearna can punish checks to Gyarados with Thunderbolt, especially with an Electrium Z, while Celesteela can set up on checks to Mega Gyarados like Tangrowth.

Mega Gyarados appreciates hazard removal, so Tapu Fini can be good partner. Defog Latios has good offensive synergy with Gyarados, (RC) and can take on Keldeo and Zapdos, as well as pressure Toxapex, and weaken Steel-types for Gyarados. Tapu Fini also allows Mega Gyarados to avoid Scald burns after a Mega Evolution, (RC) with Misty Terrain, while helping and helps with Choice Scarf Keldeo. Defog Zapdos and Defog Mew are also good partners for this reason.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A bulky Dragon Dance set with Leftovers and Substitute, which still runs and Bounce is an option on Gyarados, to let it set up easier and avoid being revenge killed by Choice Scarf users, as well as giving it some form of recovery. Gyarados It can also use Rest and a Chesto Berry instead of Substitute, (RC) to keep itself healthy and generate multiple setup opportunities instead of Substitute, though this does make it slightly more prone vulnerable to Choice Scarf users. Stone Edge is another option on regular Gyarados to give it coverage to hit Zapdos. Mega Gyarados can also run both Substitute and Taunt, while forgoing Crunch, to be able to handle Toxapex and stall teams better, but it does miss out on Crunch hitting Water-resistant Pokemon water resists like Ferrothorn and Tangrowth for neutral damage, which would otherwise let Gyarados break past them after some chip damage. Other Z-Crystals like Waterium Z and Groundium Z are also usable on Gyarados. Waterium Z Gyarados can OHKO defensive Zapdos after Stealth Rock with +1 Hydro Vortex after a Dragon Dance, while also OHKOing OHKO faster Zapdos without before Stealth Rock. Waterium Z, and break past Steel-types like Magearna, Mega Mawile, (add comma) and Magnezone without running Earthquake. Groundium Z Gyarados can OHKO Toxapex, while also killing and take out Steel-types like Magearna without a boost. However, both are reliant on a multi-turn attack to bypass Grass-types in Bounce, and Waterium Z sets also compound Gyarados's issue with Water-types.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Electric-types, such as Zapdos, Magnezone, and Rotom-Wash, are among Gyarados's most solid answers, (RC) due to their ability to take on both Supersonic Skystrike and Mega variants Set, while having the capabilities to retaliate with super effective damage. However, if running Earthquake, Gyarados can break past Magnezone, while Mega Gyarados Earthquake can hit Rotom-Wash through Levitate.

**Water-types**: Water-types like Tapu Fini, Toxapex, Keldeo, Azumarill, and Rotom-Wash can all beat Mega Gyarados comfortably, except for Earthquake sets for Rotom-Wash and Toxapex, and can threaten to KO kill it with their secondary STAB attack, remove Haze away Dragon Dance boosts with Haze, or burn Gyarados. While Supersonic Skystrike sets can punish Tapu Fini, non-Choice Scarf Keldeo, (add comma) and Azumarill, these targets they can often scout for it too.

**Revenge Killers**: Faster Pokemon like Mega Alakazam, (RC) and Choice Scarf Keldeo, Scarf Garchomp, Scarf Greninja, (add comma) and Scarf Terrakkion can outspeed Flyinium Z Gyarados even after a Dragon Dance and can do massive damage to or OHKO it. Choice Scarf Terrakion, Choice Scarf Keldeo, (add comma) and Focus Blast Mega Alakazam can revenge kill Mega sets.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types like Tangrowth, Ferrothorn, Tapu Bulu, (add comma) Mega Venusaur, (add comma) and Amoonguss can all take on Mega Gyarados, (RC) and threaten it with super effective STAB attacks, but all of them do have to be careful around Supersonic Skystrike and scout for it.

**Steel-types**: Bulky Steel-types like Magearna, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Mega Mawile, and Magnezone can be annoying if Gyarados does not carry Earthquake for Magearna, Mega Mawile, (add comma) and Magnezone, (RC) or Taunt for Skarmory. Mega Scizor can check Mega Gyarados, (add comma) but it is setup bait for Supersonic Skystrike Gyarados.

**Fighting-types**: (add colon) Fighting-types like Mega Heracross and Keldeo can deal with Mega Gyarados easily, but only Choice Scarf Keldeo can check Supersonic Skystrike Gyarados.

**Fairy-types**: Bulky Fairy-types, (RC) such as Clefable, Tapu Bulu, Mega Mawile, (add comma) and Magearna can check Mega Gyarados, and can and threaten it with super effective STAB attacks, but Supersonic Skystrike Gyarados can punish the former two, while Earthquake can hit Magearna and Mega Mawile.

Last edited:

Anish

luckynbad
don't put spaces on both sides of commas.....................

GP 1/2

[OVERVIEW]

Gyarados is a good sweeper win condition in OU , (RC) due to its access to an excellent boosting move in Dragon Dance, (RC) alongside solid offensive stats, (RC) and a sterling offensive typing. It also has access to two extremely useful abilities in Moxie and Intimidate, which can allow it to snowball and aid it in setting up, respectively. Gyarados's is further aided by its decent bulk and good defensive typing , which allows it to get provide it multiple setup opportunities , (RC) and let it can take hits from premier Pokemon in the tier such as Protean Greninja, (RC) as well as defensively help with Pokemon such as Mega Swampert. However, Gyarados is hurt by its lackluster Speed tier, with Pokemon like Tapu Lele and Zygarde (??) having the ability to outspeeding Zygarde before a boost, while and most common Choice Scarf users, (RC) and ultra-fast Pokemon like Mega Alakazam can outspeeding it after a boost. Gyarados can also run a Mega set which can Mega Evolved into Mega Gyarados, which is notably trickier for to revenge kill by some Choice Scarf users such as Garchomp and Greninja to revenge kill, but it struggles with the prevalence of checks like Tangrowth and Toxapex. Both forms of Gyarados, especially non-Mega sets regular Gyarados, also faces competition from other Dragon Dance sweepers like Dragonite and Salamence, which are with the former having access to Multiscale which makes it trickier to revenge kill due to Multiscale, while the latter has a or have higher Attack and Speed stat. However, Gyarados has the ability to break past premier defensive Pokemon like Landorus-T more easily, along with while also having access to moves like Taunt and Substitute, as well as and a better defensive typing.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dragon Dance allows Gyarados to perform its role as a sweeper, by boosting its Attack and Speed stat, which could also allow it to or punch holes early on, if needed. Bounce works in tandem with Flyinium Z to give Gyarados access to a 160-Base Power STAB attack in Supersonic Skystrike, which allows it to hit Tangrowth, Mega Venusaur, and Amoonguss, as well as doing massive damage to bulky Water-types and a strong attack. Waterfall gives Gyarados a STAB attack which hits popular physically defensive Pokemon like Landorus-T for super effective damage, while also giving it and gives Gyarados good neutral coverage. Taunt helps Gyarados deal with Celesteela, Mew, Unaware Clefable, Skarmory, (add comma) and Toxapex, (RC) by blocking allowing Gyarados to avoid Leech Seed, Will-O-Wisp, pressure recovery moves, and phazing or prevent itself from getting phazed or hazed, although; however, it still has to be wary of Scald burns from Toxapex. Earthquake is a solid option on Gyarados, as it gives it the capability capabilities to hit Toxapex, Magnezone, Mega Mawile, and Magearna for super effective damage. Gyarados can also use Substitute to avoid being statused by from moves like Lava Plume and Scald, (RC) while still being protected from Will-O-Wisp and Leech Seed, and makes as well as making it harder for Choice Scarf users to revenge kill it. (add period)

Set Details
========

The given EV spread maximizes Gyarados's power and speed, and while a Jolly nature is preferred to outspeed offensive Adamant Landorus-T Therian before a boost, (RC) and outspeed Tapu Koko after a boost Dragon Dance. Moxie allows Gyarados to snowball after a KO kill, and it works well with Supersonic Skystrike, which can easily get a KO due to its great is a powerful move and makes it easier to get a kill before Moxie boosts. Flyinium Z allows Gyarados to use a 160-Base Power one turn move in Supersonic Skystrike for one turn, which gives it helps it gain coverage on Grass-types like Tangrowth, (RC) and helps it do massive damage to opposing Pokemon.

Usage Tips
========

This set can be used either used early game to soften up walls early-game, (RC) or to clean late-game. If Gyarados's main role is as an early-game breaker, it can afford to take some damage early on, (RC) and also can use Supersonic Skystrike aggressively, (RC) to soften down Pokemon for a teammate. Gyarados can also bluff a Mega set and lure in Grasses-types like Tangrowth for a teammate. If it Gyarados is being used as a late-game cleaner, try to avoid letting it taking chip damage, especially from Stealth Rock, as it can decrease its setup opportunities or leave it susceptible to a revenge killer prevent Gyarados from taking a hit which would allow it to set up, or from a revenge killer after a boost. (is that right?) Gyarados should set up upon Pokemon that which cannot threaten it, such as defensive Landorus-T lacking Stone Edge, Mega Scizor Mega, and or Choice-locked Pokemon like Choice Specs Keldeo locked into Secret Sword. You should also be wary of about Choice Scarf users, (RC) and try to remove kill them before setting up, since they could mess up interfere with a Gyarados sweep.

Team Options
========

Gyarados struggles against defensive Electric-types like Zapdos, so it fits well with Pokemon that which can wear them down defensive electric-types like Zapdos, (add comma) such as Mega Pinsir, and Pokemon that which can pressure them, (add comma) such as Tyranitar and Latios, which. Latios also provides hazard control, as do Mega Scizor and Mew, which is appreciated because as Stealth Rock can wear it Gyarados down.Other hazard removers like Mega Scizor and Mew are also good partners. Mega Scizor can also pivot Gyarados into onto Pokemon like Heatran, which it can set up on, while Mew can spread burns to ease setting up for Gyarados. Latias can also be used instead of Latios to offer Gyarados Healing Wish support, while. (add period) Tapu Fini appreciates Gyarados's ability to pressure bulky Grass-types (what does Tapu Fini do for Gyarados in exchange?).

On the other hand, Stealth Rock and Spikes support can help Gyarados, as they residual damage can often wear down common checks like Toxapex, Choice Scarf users, and Tapu Koko into the KO range of a +1 hit at +1, and chip away at the health of Choice Scarfer users and Stealth Rock weakens Tapu Koko into +1 Waterfall range. Taunt Gyarados can also help the hazard setters by since Taunt can preventing most Defoggers bar Zapdos from removing the hazards clicking Defog. Ferrothorn and Spikes Greninja can both fit well with Gyarados it, as Ferrothorn can check most Electric-types bar Magnezone, while Spikes Greninja can work with Gyarados to weaken Steel-types. Stealth Rock setters like Landorus-T, Mew, and Clefable are also good options can fit well with Gyarados.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dragon Dance boosts Mega Gyarados's Attack and Speed, allowing it to set up late-game to clean. Crunch is a strong primary STAB move that, which gives Gyarados good neutral coverage, while hitting and hits Psychic-types such as Mew, Latios, (add comma) and Slowbro super effectively. Waterfall is Gyarados's secondary stab move, which hits Ground-types like Landorus-T for super effective damage, while also hitting and hits certain Dark-resistant Pokemon dark resists, like Clefable for neutral damage. Taunt allows Gyarados to avoid Haze and phazing from Toxapex and Skarmory respectively, while also preventing, prevents Celesteela from getting residual damage through Leech Seed, and works with Mold Breaker to avoid Will-O-Wisp from Sableye. Substitute is an alternative to Taunt, which that still lets Gyarados dodges Leech Seed and Will-O-Wisp, (RC) but further allows Gyarados to avoid statuses from moves like Lava Plume and Scald, making it easier for it to set up, and helps it while also allowing it to avoid being revenge killed. Earthquake can be used to hit Magearna, Toxapex, Mega Mawile, Tapu Koko, Magnezone, (add comma) and Rotom-Wash harder. Ice Fang is another option, which that does more than Crunch to bulky Grass-types like Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur, as well as hitting Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Zygarde harder, while still hitting Landorus T, so it can also be used alongside Earthquake over Waterfall, (RC) to improve coverage.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack and speed investment allows Gyarados to hit as hard as possible, while maximum Speed investment and a Jolly nature allows it to outspeed Tapu Koko after a Dragon Dance. Intimidate allows Gyarados to check Pokemon like Weavile, (RC) and allows it to generates setup opportunities. Gyaradosite allows Gyarados to Mega Evolve into Mega Gyarados. (add period)

Usage Tips
========

Mega Gyarados should set up only after its checks like Toxapex, Zapdos, Tangrowth, (add comma) and Tapu Fini have been removed, (RC) or weakened into the range of Mega Gyarados at +1, and it should aim to set up on Pokemon that which cannot threaten it, such as defensive Landorus-T, Choice locked Garchomp Choice locked into Earthquake, Battle Bond Greninja, and Heatran and Celesteela if carrying Substitute, and Celesteela if carrying or Taunt for the latter. (is that right?) It is best to avoid taking chip damage early on, as doing so it can sometimes reduce Gyarados's setup opportunities late-game, and; (add semicolon) keeping Stealth Rock off the field also helps Gyarados in that respect. Being careful about the timing of Mega Evolving with Gyarados can also help, as staying in non-Mega forme the regular form allows Gyarados to set up on Pokemon like Garchomp locked into Earthquake and Keldeo locked into Secret Sword. On the other hand, Mega Evolving allows Gyarados to take neutral damage from Stealth Rock, (RC) and gives it in a Psychic immunity, (RC) and the Dark resistance, which is useful for Choice-locked Psychic-types like Tapu Lele and Latios and for Battle Bond Greninja respectively.

Team Options
========

Mega Gyarados fits well with Pokemon that which can lure common checks to it like Tangrowth, Toxapex, (add comma) and Zapdos. Protean Greninja with Extrasensory works extremely well with it, (add comma) as it can lure in Toxapex, (RC) and can also nail Tangrowth on the switch by bluffing Battle Bond. Other lures include Tectonic Rage Heatran for Toxapex , (RC) and Swords Dance + Devastating Drake Garchomp and or Dragon Dance + Devastating Drake Zygarde for can lure Assault Vest Tangrowth for Gyarados. Pokemon that which can pressure the aforementioned checks are also good partners. Three attacks defensive Zapdos can pressure Toxapex and Tangrowth, and also pressure as well as Steel-types like Mega Scizor, and it can help with Keldeo and Tapu Fini. Latios can also check Keldeo, pressure while pressuring Toxapex, but it can also do massive damage to Tangrowth, (add comma) and can run Hidden Power Fire to bait in Steel-types like Mega Scizor and Magearna for Gyarados. Mega Gyarados is aided by Pokemon that heavily pressure offensive teams, which it sometimes struggles to deal with. Some such Pokemon include, such as offensive Trick Room and Shift Gear Magearna (are these two different sets of Magearna, or is it one set that has TR and Shift Gear? if the latter, say Trick Room + Shift Gear) and Autotomize Celesteela. Magearna can punish checks to Gyarados with Thunderbolt, especially with an Electrium Z, while Celesteela can set up on checks to Mega Gyarados like Tangrowth.

Mega Gyarados appreciates hazard removal, so Tapu Fini can be good partner. Defog Latios has good offensive synergy with Gyarados, (RC) and can take on Keldeo and Zapdos, as well as pressure Toxapex, and weaken Steel-types for Gyarados. Tapu Fini also allows Mega Gyarados to avoid Scald burns after a Mega Evolution, (RC) with Misty Terrain, while helping and helps with Choice Scarf Keldeo. Defog Zapdos and Defog Mew are also good partners for this reason.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A bulky Dragon Dance set with Leftovers and Substitute, which still runs and Bounce is an option on Gyarados, to let it set up easier and avoid being revenge killed by Choice Scarf users, as well as giving it some form of recovery. Gyarados It can also use Rest and a Chesto Berry instead of Substitute, (RC) to keep itself healthy and generate multiple setup opportunities instead of Substitute, though this does make it slightly more prone vulnerable to Choice Scarf users. Stone Edge is another option on regular Gyarados to give it coverage to hit Zapdos. Mega Gyarados can also run both Substitute and Taunt, while forgoing Crunch, to be able to handle Toxapex and stall teams better, but it does miss out on Crunch hitting Water-resistant Pokemon water resists like Ferrothorn and Tangrowth for neutral damage, which would otherwise let Gyarados break past them after some chip damage. Other Z-Crystals like Waterium Z and Groundium Z are also usable on Gyarados. Waterium Z Gyarados can OHKO defensive Zapdos after Stealth Rock with +1 Hydro Vortex after a Dragon Dance, while also OHKOing OHKO faster Zapdos without before Stealth Rock. Waterium Z, and break past Steel-types like Magearna, Mega Mawile, (add comma) and Magnezone without running Earthquake. Groundium Z Gyarados can OHKO Toxapex, while also killing and take out Steel-types like Magearna without a boost. However, both are reliant on a multi-turn attack to bypass Grass-types in Bounce, and Waterium Z sets also compound Gyarados's issue with Water-types.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Electric-types, such as Zapdos, Magnezone, and Rotom-Wash, are among Gyarados's most solid answers, (RC) due to their ability to take on both Supersonic Skystrike and Mega variants Set, while having the capabilities to retaliate with super effective damage. However, if running Earthquake, Gyarados can break past Magnezone, while Mega Gyarados Earthquake can hit Rotom-Wash through Levitate.

**Water-types**: Water-types like Tapu Fini, Toxapex, Keldeo, Azumarill, and Rotom-Wash can all beat Mega Gyarados comfortably, except for Earthquake sets for Rotom-Wash and Toxapex, and can threaten to KO kill it with their secondary STAB attack, remove Haze away Dragon Dance boosts with Haze, or burn Gyarados. While Supersonic Skystrike sets can punish Tapu Fini, non-Choice Scarf Keldeo, (add comma) and Azumarill, these targets they can often scout for it too.

**Revenge Killers**: Faster Pokemon like Mega Alakazam, (RC) and Choice Scarf Keldeo, Scarf Garchomp, Scarf Greninja, (add comma) and Scarf Terrakkion can outspeed Flyinium Z Gyarados even after a Dragon Dance and can do massive damage to or OHKO it. Choice Scarf Terrakion, Choice Scarf Keldeo, (add comma) and Focus Blast Mega Alakazam can revenge kill Mega sets.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types like Tangrowth, Ferrothorn, Tapu Bulu, (add comma) Mega Venusaur, (add comma) and Amoonguss can all take on Mega Gyarados, (RC) and threaten it with super effective STAB attacks, but all of them do have to be careful around Supersonic Skystrike and scout for it.

**Steel-types**: Bulky Steel-types like Magearna, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Mega Mawile, and Magnezone can be annoying if Gyarados does not carry Earthquake for Magearna, Mega Mawile, (add comma) and Magnezone, (RC) or Taunt for Skarmory. Mega Scizor can check Mega Gyarados, (add comma) but it is setup bait for Supersonic Skystrike Gyarados.

**Fighting-types**: (add colon) Fighting-types like Mega Heracross and Keldeo can deal with Mega Gyarados easily, but only Choice Scarf Keldeo can check Supersonic Skystrike Gyarados.

**Fairy-types**: Bulky Fairy-types, (RC) such as Clefable, Tapu Bulu, Mega Mawile, (add comma) and Magearna can check Mega Gyarados, and can and threaten it with super effective STAB attacks, but Supersonic Skystrike Gyarados can punish the former two, while Earthquake can hit Magearna and Mega Mawile.
Thanks for the GP, implemented.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Gyarados is a good sweeper in OU due to its access to an excellent boosting move in Dragon Dance(space)alongside solid offensive stats and a sterling offensive typing. It also has two extremely useful abilities in Moxie and Intimidate, which can allow it to snowball and aid it in setting up, respectively. Gyarados's decent bulk and good defensive typing provide it multiple setup opportunities and let it take hits from premier Pokemon in the tier such as Protean Greninja as well as Mega Swampert. However, Gyarados is hurt by its lackluster Speed tier, with Pokemon like Tapu Lele and Zygarde outspeeding Gyarados it before a boost and most common Choice Scarf users and ultra-fast Pokemon like Mega Alakazam outspeeding it after a boost. Gyarados can also run a Mega set, which is notably trickier for some Choice Scarf users such as Garchomp to revenge kill, but it struggles with the prevalence of checks like Tangrowth and Toxapex. Gyarados, especially non-Mega sets, (spacing) also faces competition from other Dragon Dance sweepers like Dragonite and Salamence, which are trickier to revenge kill due to Multiscale or have higher Attack and Speed. However, Gyarados has the ability to break past premier defensive Pokemon like Landorus-T more easily, along with access to moves like Taunt and Substitute and a better defensive typing.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dragon Dance allows Gyarados to perform its role as a sweeper or punch holes early on, if needed. Bounce works in tandem with Flyinium Z to give Gyarados access to a 160-Base Power STAB attack in Supersonic Skystrike to hit Tangrowth, Mega Venusaur, and Amoonguss, as well as doing massive damage to bulky Water-types. (spacing) Waterfall hits popular physically defensive Pokemon like Landorus-T for super effective damage and gives Gyarados good neutral coverage. Taunt helps Gyarados deal with Celesteela, Mew, Unaware Clefable, Skarmory, and Toxapex by blocking Leech Seed, Will-O-Wisp, (AC) recovery moves, and phazing; however, it Gyarados still has to be wary of Scald burns from Toxapex. Earthquake is a solid option on Gyarados, as it gives it the capability to hit Toxapex, Magnezone, Mega Mawile, and Magearna for super effective damage. Gyarados can also use Substitute to avoid being statused by moves like Lava Plume and Scald while still being protected from Will-O-Wisp and Leech Seed, as well as making it harder for Choice Scarf users to revenge kill it.

Set Details
========

The given EV spread maximizes Gyarados's power and speed, and a Jolly nature is preferred to outspeed offensive Adamant Landorus-T before a boost and Tapu Koko after a boost. Moxie allows Gyarados to snowball after a KO, and it works well with Supersonic Skystrike, which can easily get a KO due to its great power. Flyinium Z allows Gyarados to use a 160-Base Power move in Supersonic Skystrike for one turn, which gives it coverage on Grass-types like Tangrowth and helps it do massive damage to opposing Pokemon.

Usage Tips
========

This set can be used either to soften up walls early-game or to clean late-game. If Gyarados's main role is as an early-game breaker, it can afford to take some damage early on and also can use Supersonic Skystrike aggressively to soften down Pokemon for a teammate. Gyarados can also bluff a Mega set and lure in Grass-types like Tangrowth and take them out (?) for a teammate. If Gyarados is being used as a late-game cleaner, try to avoid letting it taking chip damage, especially from Stealth Rock, as it can decrease its setup opportunities or leave it susceptible to a revenge killer. Gyarados should set up on Pokemon that cannot threaten it, such as defensive Landorus-T lacking Stone Edge, Mega Scizor, (spacing) and Choice-locked Pokemon like Choice Specs Keldeo locked into Secret Sword. You should also be wary of Choice Scarf users and try to remove them before setting up, since they could interfere with a Gyarados sweep.

Team Options
========

Gyarados struggles against defensive Electric-types like Zapdos, so it fits well with Pokemon that can wear them down, (AC) such as Mega Pinsir, and Pokemon that can pressure them, such as Tyranitar and Latios. Latios also provides entry hazard control, as do Mega Scizor and Mew, which is appreciated because Stealth Rock can wear Gyarados down. Mega Scizor can also pivot Gyarados into Pokemon like Heatran, which it can set up on, while Mew can spread burns to ease setting up for Gyarados. Latias can also be used instead of Latios to offer Gyarados Healing Wish support.

Stealth Rock and Spikes support can help Gyarados, as the residual damage can often wear down common checks like Toxapex, Choice Scarf users, and Tapu Koko into the KO range of a +1 hit. (spacing) Taunt Gyarados can also help the hazard setters by preventing most Defoggers bar Zapdos from removing the hazards. (spacing) Ferrothorn and Spikes Greninja can both fit well with Gyarados, (spacing) as Ferrothorn can check most Electric-types bar Magnezone, while Spikes Greninja can work with Gyarados to weaken Steel-types. Stealth Rock setters like Landorus-T, Mew, and Clefable are also good options.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dragon Dance boosts Mega Gyarados's Attack and Speed, allowing it to set up late-game to clean. Crunch is a strong primary STAB move thatgives that gives Gyarados good neutral coverage and hits Psychic-types such as Mew, Latios, and Slowbro super effectively. Waterfall hits Ground-types like Landorus-T for super effective damage(space)and hits certain Dark-resistant Pokemon like Clefable for neutral damage. Taunt allows Gyarados to avoid Haze and phazing from Toxapex and Skarmory, (spacing) prevents Celesteela from getting residual damage through Leech Seed, and works with Mold Breaker to avoid Will-O-Wisp from Sableye. Substitute is an alternative to Tauntthat Taunt that still lets Gyarados dodge Leech Seed and Will-O-Wisp but further allows Gyarados to avoid status from moves like Lava Plume and Scald, making it easier for it to set up, and helps it avoid being revenge killed. Earthquake can be used to hit Magearna, Toxapex, Mega Mawile, Tapu Koko, Magnezone, and Rotom-W harder. Ice Fang is another optionthat option that does more than Crunch to bulky Grass-types like Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur, as well as hitting Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Zygarde harder, so it can be used alongside Earthquake over Waterfall to improve coverage.

Set Details
========

Maximum Attack investment allows Gyarados to hit as hard as possible, while maximum Speed investment and a Jolly nature allow it to outspeed Tapu Koko after a Dragon Dance. Intimidate allows Gyarados to check Pokemon like Weavile and generates setup opportunities. Gyaradosite allows Gyarados to Mega Evolve into Mega Gyarados.
(line break)
Usage Tips
========

Mega Gyarados should set up only after its checks like Toxapex, Zapdos, Tangrowth, and Tapu Fini have been removed or weakened into the range of Mega Gyarados its attacks at +1, and it should aim to set up on Pokemon that cannot threaten it, such as defensive Landorus-T, Garchomp Choice-locked (AH) into Earthquake, Battle Bond Greninja, Heatran if carrying Substitute, and specially defensive Celesteela if carrying Taunt or Substitute. It is best to avoid taking chip damage early on, as doing so can reduce Gyarados's setup opportunities late-game; keeping Stealth Rock off the field helps in that respect. Being careful about the timing of Mega Evolving with Gyarados can also help, as staying in non-Mega forme holding off on doing so allows Gyarados to set up on Pokemon like Garchomp locked into Earthquake and Keldeo locked into Secret Sword. On the other hand, Mega Evolving allows Gyarados to take neutral damage from Stealth Rock and gives it a Psychic immunity and Dark resistance, which is useful for taking on Choice-locked Psychic-types like Tapu Lele and Latios and for Battle Bond Greninja .

Team Options
========

Mega Gyarados fits well with Pokemon that can lure common checks to it like Tangrowth, Toxapex, and Zapdos. Protean Greninja with Extrasensory works extremely well, (spacing) as it can lure in Toxapex(space)and nail Tangrowth on the switch by bluffing Battle Bond. Pokemon that can pressure the aforementioned checks are also good partners. Three attacks defensive Zapdos can pressure Toxapex and Tangrowth, as well as Steel-types like Mega Scizor, and it can help with Keldeo and Tapu Fini. Latios can also check Keldeo, pressure Toxapex, do massive damage to Tangrowth, and run Hidden Power Fire to bait in Steel-types like Mega Scizor and Magearna and take them out for Gyarados. Mega Gyarados is aided by Pokemon that heavily pressure offensive teams, which it sometimes struggles to deal with, such as offensive Shift Gear Magearna and Autotomize Celesteela. Magearna can punish checks to Gyarados with Thunderbolt, especially with an Electrium Z, while Celesteela can set up on checks to Mega Gyarados like Tangrowth.

Mega Gyarados appreciates entry hazard removal, so Tapu Fini can be good partner. Defog Latios has good offensive synergy with Gyarados and can take on Keldeo and Zapdos, pressure Toxapex, and weaken Steel-types for Gyarados. Tapu Fini also allows Mega Gyarados to avoid Scald burns with Misty Terrain and helps with Choice Scarf Keldeo. Defog Zapdos and Defog Mew are also good partners for this reason.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A bulky Dragon Dance set with Leftovers and Substitute and Bounce is an option to set up easier more easily and avoid being revenge killed by Choice Scarf users, as well as giving it some form of recovery. Gyarados can also use Rest and a Chesto Berry instead of Substitute to keep itself healthy and generate multiple setup opportunities, though this does make it slightly more vulnerable to Choice Scarf users. Stone Edge is another option on regular Gyarados to give it coverage to hit Zapdos. Mega Gyarados can also run both Substitute and Taunt, while forgoing Crunch, to be able to handle Toxapex and stall teams better, but it does miss out on Crunch hitting Water-resistant Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Tangrowth for neutral damage, which would otherwise let Gyarados break past them after some chip damage. Other Z-Crystals like Waterium Z and Groundium Z are also usable on Gyarados. Waterium Z Gyarados can OHKO defensive Zapdos after Stealth Rock with +1 Hydro Vortex, (AC) OHKO faster Zapdos without Stealth Rock, and break past Steel-types like Magearna, Mega Mawile, (AC) and Magnezone without running Earthquake. Groundium Z Gyarados can OHKO Toxapex and take out Steel-types like Magearna without a boost. However, both are reliant on a multi-turn attack to bypass Grass-types in Bounce, and Waterium Z sets also compound Gyarados's issue with Water-types.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Electric-types**: Electric-types, such as Zapdos, Magnezone, and Rotom-W are among Gyarados's most solid answers due to their ability to take on both Supersonic Skystrike and Mega variants . However, if running Earthquake, Gyarados can break past Magnezone, while Mega Gyarados can hit Rotom-W through Levitate.

**Water-types**: Water-types like Tapu Fini, Toxapex, Keldeo, Azumarill, and Rotom-W can beat Mega Gyarados comfortably, except for Earthquake sets for Rotom-W and Toxapex, and can threaten to KO it with their secondary STAB attack, remove Dragon Dance boosts with Haze, or burn Gyarados. While Supersonic Skystrike sets can punish Tapu Fini, non-Choice Scarf Keldeo, and Azumarill, these targets can often scout for it too.

**Revenge Killers**: Faster Pokemon like Mega Alakazam and Choice Scarf Keldeo, Garchomp, Greninja, Latios (add comma) and Terrakkion Terrakion can outspeed Flyinium Z Gyarados even after a Dragon Dance and can do massive damage to or OHKO it. Choice Scarf Terrakion, Choice Scarf Keldeo, (add comma) (keep comma, remove comment) and Focus Blast Mega Alakazam can revenge kill Mega sets.

**Grass-types**: Grass-types like Tangrowth, Ferrothorn, Tapu Bulu, Mega Venusaur, and Amoonguss can all take on Mega Gyarados and threaten it with super effective STAB attacks, but all of them do have to be careful around Supersonic Skystrike and scout for it.

**Steel-types**: Bulky Steel-types like Magearna, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Mega Mawile, and Magnezone can be annoying if Gyarados does not carry Earthquake for Magearna, Mega Mawile, and Magnezone or Taunt for Skarmory. Mega Scizor can check Mega Gyarados, but it is setup bait for Supersonic Skystrike Gyarados.

**Fighting-types**: Fighting-types like Mega Heracross and Keldeo can deal with Mega Gyarados easily, but only Choice Scarf Keldeo can check Supersonic Skystrike Gyarados.

**Fairy-types**: Bulky Fairy-types such as Clefable, Tapu Bulu, Mega Mawile, and Magearna can check Mega Gyarados and threaten it with super effective STAB attacks, but Supersonic Skystrike Gyarados can punish the former two, while Earthquake can hit Magearna and Mega Mawile.

Last edited:

Anish

luckynbad
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Gyarados is a good sweeper in OU due to its access to an excellent boosting move in Dragon Dance(space)alongside solid offensive stats and a sterling offensive typing. It also has two extremely useful abilities in Moxie and Intimidate, which can allow it to snowball and aid it in setting up, respectively. Gyarados's decent bulk and good defensive typing provide it multiple setup opportunities and let it take hits from premier Pokemon in the tier such as Protean Greninja as well as Mega Swampert. However, Gyarados is hurt by its lackluster Speed tier, with Pokemon like Tapu Lele and Zygarde outspeeding Gyarados it before a boost and most common Choice Scarf users and ultra-fast Pokemon like Mega Alakazam outspeeding it after a boost. Gyarados can also run a Mega set, which is notably trickier for some Choice Scarf users such as Garchomp to revenge kill, but it struggles with the prevalence of checks like Tangrowth and Toxapex. Gyarados, especially non-Mega sets, (spacing) also faces competition from other Dragon Dance sweepers like Dragonite and Salamence, which are trickier to revenge kill due to Multiscale or have higher Attack and Speed. However, Gyarados has the ability to break past premier defensive Pokemon like Landorus-T more easily, along with access to moves like Taunt and Substitute and a better defensive typing.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dragon Dance allows Gyarados to perform its role as a sweeper or punch holes early on, if needed. Bounce works in tandem with Flyinium Z to give Gyarados access to a 160-Base Power STAB attack in Supersonic Skystrike to hit Tangrowth, Mega Venusaur, and Amoonguss, as well as doing massive damage to bulky Water-types. (spacing) Waterfall hits popular physically defensive Pokemon like Landorus-T for super effective damage and gives Gyarados good neutral coverage. Taunt helps Gyarados deal with Celesteela, Mew, Unaware Clefable, Skarmory, and Toxapex by blocking Leech Seed, Will-O-Wisp, (AC) recovery moves, and phazing; however, it Gyarados still has to be wary of Scald burns from Toxapex. Earthquake is a solid option on Gyarados, as it gives it the capability to hit Toxapex, Magnezone, Mega Mawile, and Magearna for super effective damage. Gyarados can also use Substitute to avoid being statused by moves like Lava Plume and Scald while still being protected from Will-O-Wisp and Leech Seed, as well as making it harder for Choice Scarf users to revenge kill it.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

This set can be used either to soften up walls early-game or to clean late-game. If Gyarados's main role is as an early-game breaker, it can afford to take some damage early on and also can use Supersonic Skystrike aggressively to soften down Pokemon for a teammate. Gyarados can also bluff a Mega set and lure in Grass-types like Tangrowth and take them out (?) for a teammate. If Gyarados is being used as a late-game cleaner, try to avoid letting it taking chip damage, especially from Stealth Rock, as it can decrease its setup opportunities or leave it susceptible to a revenge killer. Gyarados should set up on Pokemon that cannot threaten it, such as defensive Landorus-T lacking Stone Edge, Mega Scizor, (spacing) and Choice-locked Pokemon like Choice Specs Keldeo locked into Secret Sword. You should also be wary of Choice Scarf users and try to remove them before setting up, since they could interfere with a Gyarados sweep.

Team Options
========

Gyarados struggles against defensive Electric-types like Zapdos, so it fits well with Pokemon that can wear them down, (AC) such as Mega Pinsir, and Pokemon that can pressure them, such as Tyranitar and Latios. Latios also provides entry hazard control, as do Mega Scizor and Mew, which is appreciated because Stealth Rock can wear Gyarados down. Mega Scizor can also pivot Gyarados into Pokemon like Heatran, which it can set up on, while Mew can spread burns to ease setting up for Gyarados. Latias can also be used instead of Latios to offer Gyarados Healing Wish support.

Stealth Rock and Spikes support can help Gyarados, as the residual damage can often wear down common checks like Toxapex, Choice Scarf users, and Tapu Koko into the KO range of a +1 hit. (spacing) Taunt Gyarados can also help the hazard setters by preventing most Defoggers bar Zapdos from removing the hazards. (spacing) Ferrothorn and Spikes Greninja can both fit well with Gyarados, (spacing) as Ferrothorn can check most Electric-types bar Magnezone, while Spikes Greninja can work with Gyarados to weaken Steel-types. Stealth Rock setters like Landorus-T, Mew, and Clefable are also good options.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Dragon Dance boosts Mega Gyarados's Attack and Speed, allowing it to set up late-game to clean. Crunch is a strong primary STAB move thatgives that gives Gyarados good neutral coverage and hits Psychic-types such as Mew, Latios, and Slowbro super effectively. Waterfall hits Ground-types like Landorus-T for super effective damage(space)and hits certain Dark-resistant Pokemon like Clefable for neutral damage. Taunt allows Gyarados to avoid Haze and phazing from Toxapex and Skarmory, (spacing) prevents Celesteela from getting residual damage through Leech Seed, and works with Mold Breaker to avoid Will-O-Wisp from Sableye. Substitute is an alternative to Tauntthat Taunt that still lets Gyarados dodge Leech Seed and Will-O-Wisp but further allows Gyarados to avoid status from moves like Lava Plume and Scald, making it easier for it to set up, and helps it avoid being revenge killed. Earthquake can be used to hit Magearna, Toxapex, Mega Mawile, Tapu Koko, Magnezone, and Rotom-W harder. Ice Fang is another optionthat option that does more than Crunch to bulky Grass-types like Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur, as well as hitting Garchomp, Landorus-T, and Zygarde harder, so it can be used alongside Earthquake over Waterfall to improve coverage.

Set Details
========

(line break)
Usage Tips
========

Mega Gyarados should set up only after its checks like Toxapex, Zapdos, Tangrowth, and Tapu Fini have been removed or weakened into the range of Mega Gyarados its attacks at +1, and it should aim to set up on Pokemon that cannot threaten it, such as defensive Landorus-T, Garchomp Choice-locked (AH) into Earthquake, Battle Bond Greninja, Heatran if carrying Substitute, and specially defensive Celesteela if carrying Taunt or Substitute. It is best to avoid taking chip damage early on, as doing so can reduce Gyarados's setup opportunities late-game; keeping Stealth Rock off the field helps in that respect. Being careful about the timing of Mega Evolving with Gyarados can also help, as staying in non-Mega forme holding off on doing so allows Gyarados to set up on Pokemon like Garchomp locked into Earthquake and Keldeo locked into Secret Sword. On the other hand, Mega Evolving allows Gyarados to take neutral damage from Stealth Rock and gives it a Psychic immunity and Dark resistance, which is useful for taking on Choice-locked Psychic-types like Tapu Lele and Latios and for Battle Bond Greninja .

Team Options
========

Mega Gyarados fits well with Pokemon that can lure common checks to it like Tangrowth, Toxapex, and Zapdos. Protean Greninja with Extrasensory works extremely well, (spacing) as it can lure in Toxapex(space)and nail Tangrowth on the switch by bluffing Battle Bond. Pokemon that can pressure the aforementioned checks are also good partners. Three attacks defensive Zapdos can pressure Toxapex and Tangrowth, as well as Steel-types like Mega Scizor, and it can help with Keldeo and Tapu Fini. Latios can also check Keldeo, pressure Toxapex, do massive damage to Tangrowth, and run Hidden Power Fire to bait in Steel-types like Mega Scizor and Magearna and take them out for Gyarados. Mega Gyarados is aided by Pokemon that heavily pressure offensive teams, which it sometimes struggles to deal with, such as offensive Shift Gear Magearna and Autotomize Celesteela. Magearna can punish checks to Gyarados with Thunderbolt, especially with an Electrium Z, while Celesteela can set up on checks to Mega Gyarados like Tangrowth.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A bulky Dragon Dance set with Leftovers and Substitute and Bounce is an option to set up easier more easily and avoid being revenge killed by Choice Scarf users, as well as giving it some form of recovery. Gyarados can also use Rest and a Chesto Berry instead of Substitute to keep itself healthy and generate multiple setup opportunities, though this does make it slightly more vulnerable to Choice Scarf users. Stone Edge is another option on regular Gyarados to give it coverage to hit Zapdos. Mega Gyarados can also run both Substitute and Taunt, while forgoing Crunch, to be able to handle Toxapex and stall teams better, but it does miss out on Crunch hitting Water-resistant Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Tangrowth for neutral damage, which would otherwise let Gyarados break past them after some chip damage. Other Z-Crystals like Waterium Z and Groundium Z are also usable on Gyarados. Waterium Z Gyarados can OHKO defensive Zapdos after Stealth Rock with +1 Hydro Vortex, (AC) OHKO faster Zapdos without Stealth Rock, and break past Steel-types like Magearna, Mega Mawile, (AC) and Magnezone without running Earthquake. Groundium Z Gyarados can OHKO Toxapex and take out Steel-types like Magearna without a boost. However, both are reliant on a multi-turn attack to bypass Grass-types in Bounce, and Waterium Z sets also compound Gyarados's issue with Water-types.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Revenge Killers**: Faster Pokemon like Mega Alakazam and Choice Scarf Keldeo, Garchomp, Greninja, Latios (add comma) and Terrakkion Terrakion can outspeed Flyinium Z Gyarados even after a Dragon Dance and can do massive damage to or OHKO it. Choice Scarf Terrakion, Choice Scarf Keldeo, (add comma) (keep comma, remove comment) and Focus Blast Mega Alakazam can revenge kill Mega sets.

Thanks for the GP, implemented.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)