GWENT: The Witcher Card Game

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Anyone else play Gwent? If you don't know, Gwent is a card game that exists in The Witcher 3 (and the novels) as a mini-game of sorts. Now it is its own standalone multiplayer game that is free to play. However, you don't need to know anything about The Witcher to play the game. In fact, so far I've only played about 40 minutes of The Witcher, but am enjoying Gwent and its characters.

The game and its mechanics are simple to learn, yet there exists a considerable and satisfying amount of depth to the game. To win a game of Gwent, you have to win two of the three rounds, and if you use too many cards in one round, you may end up paying for it in another.

There are 6 different factions for deck building, and each faction currently has a variable amount of archetypes to build decks around.

The artwork of the cards and their premium animated counterparts are well done. The interface is smooth, intuitive, and the sound effects that go with it just click. One of my favorite parts of the game is the voice acting. Each card's multiple lines are enthusiastic, emotional, and/or badass. The flavor text for each card isn't bad either.

Example artwork (make sure you click it to see full-size):

As stated before, the game is free to play. If you don't spend any real money in the game, building a top tier deck may take a few weeks to a couple of months to get done. However, I feel this is considerably less than many other current online card games. That said, micro-transactions do exist in the game to speed up that process for those interested.

Do you have a favorite faction? Card? Artwork? Voice line? What are you currently trying to aim for in terms of deck building and/or card collecting? What about ranked play?

Last edited:

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I play this Pidge, northern realms is probably my favourite faction to play, machines with witcher tempo is super fun but its unfortunately lost a lot of viability at around the 2k mmr level. Same goes for dwarf based scoia'tael, too much control running around between locks and geralt: igni, with locks being especially huge now that kambi decks are a thing

for the time being i'm running spell based scoia'tael which mathces up well against most decks and i'll probably run that until i get to 3k mmr assuming i do get there before going into netdecks more, it's simply too hard to prepare for skellige between axemen+pirates+queensguard+kambi without leaving yourself open to getting massively wrecked by nilfgaard/spell st/consume monsters

hoping they find a way to buff wild hunt in a future patch without overpowering weather, WH was what carried me through most of casual and all the intro so i have a definite soft spot for that build type

gog account is randaccount345 if anyone wants to add and go head to head

Texas Cloverleaf

is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Post-update I've been running a weather control build and it's carried me all the up to 4.1k and climbing so far

scorch of all things was the kicker that really got the engine going on my deck, made some recent tweaks against the meta and we've been sailing smoothly, water hag of all things was a weak link and dropping him for a lacerate and opening a silver for bekkers twisted mirror made the deck a powerhouse

JJayyFeather

Drifting~
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
I play this now, huge Nilfgaard fan, specifically reveal, although I'll probably look into the others once my collection grows. New player (literally might be like 3 days in at this point) so no ranked experience yet, but im hype anyways.

After this deck, I'll probably make either Nilfgaard spies or consume monsters, depends on what im feeling at that point

hmu @ NoName4 if you ever want to play

also thank god this game isnt a constant rng farm

Pidge

('◇')
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
I recently got to 4k with a consume deck, and now I've gotten together some cards for a token Monsters deck that I will try to climb with. The token Monster deck seems kind of boring, though. It feels like the second biggest play you can make is getting some units and then playing your potion. Getting off a huge Yennefer combo is cool though. Also, I recently came across this page, and I didn't realize how many different deck types there were.

http://gwentlemen.com/snapshot/

The 37 card NR deck has to be my favorite concept.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
We have a gwent discord channel that's a subset of the hearthstone discord channel that's been pretty active talking about this game the past few days and I imagine will be talking about the game for a while to come since most of us have taken to it pretty hard.

https://discord.gg/AB6n7Pc

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
I remember when I made a weather deck before they got popular...honestly the nerfing of Weather Decks kind of made the game very unfun for me.

Texas Cloverleaf

Season ends today in advance of the new patch coming soon, some very monumental changes coming up including gold's losing immunity!

From a season standpoint I did far better than I could have predicted, pushed up to 4450 in the last two days to secure top 1000 and the Imlerith avatar, slightly disappointed I had to work or I would have pushed for GM rank, Triss is bae

Texas Cloverleaf

Damn it's been a long time since the last post here.

Quick summary of all that went on: Gwent had a couple of massive changes that resulted in a bunch of broken decks, some hotfixes cam through and we ended up with a fun if centralized meta leading up to the end of last season. I personally missed my target and finished just outside of the top 1000, went a bit too late with my grind.

Coming into the current season lasting until the end of the month, we received 20 new cards and a bunch of edits to lesser played factions and suddenly we have an incredibly diverse meta! Every faction has at least one deck playable among the top tier and several have two (or even three!) in addition to the weaker decks that are themselves very viable.

It's an exciting time overall for gwent, a MAJOR update is coming soon with over 100+ cards slated for release in addition to new leaders for each faction. The third GwentSlam tournament just finished a successful run and the first Gwent Challenger tournament, one of the culminating tournaments of the overall scene is due up within a month.

Finally, on a personal note, I'm currently on a bit of a high after finally hitting a personal goal and a very strong accomplishment in gwent, breaking 4500 and officially becoming a Grand Master :)

North America rankings

Global ladder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)