GSC Pokemon analysis: Pikachu

havoc

pottlepalooza
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[pikachu sprite]

HP: 273 ATTACK: 208 DEFENSE: 158 SP.ATK: 198 SP.DEF: 178 SPEED: 278

Type: Electric

Recommended Moveset: (JMC)
@ Light Ball
~Thunder
~Surf
~Hidden Power (Fire)
~Sing

This set is a good idea to lead with, considering Pikachu's decent Speed, plus the fact that if it starts, you don't have to switch in and potentially take a hit. Thunder can be a gamble, but if you're using Pikachu you're probably a risk-taker anyway, and it hits hard with Light Ball (which doubles Pikachu's Special Attack, giving it a Special Attack second only to Mewtwo). If you predict a Ground switch, waste it with Surf, and if they try a Grass type, HP Fire will handle them (Hidden Power can also OHKO the Spiking Forretress). If they send in a speciall wall, you've got a chance at putting them out of commission with Sing.

Alternate Move Options: The only things that could be worthwhile are Thunder Wave and Charm. Paralysis support is never a bad thing, and status is about the only thing Pikachu can hope for against Blissey, Raikou, and Snorlax. Charm can hit Snorlax when it comes in to soften the blow it deals to whatever you decide to switch in.

Opinion: GSC Pikachu is a high-risk, high-reward Pokémon and is actually not too bad of a choice for an underused team. The addition of Light Ball gives Pikahu potential to hit things very hard, and it has a decent enough Speed stat (278, which is slightly above the "average" threshold of 268) to where it could potentially strike twice without getting hurt (once on the switch, the other right after). The flipside, of course, is the fact that Pikachu is OHKO'd by most decent STAB attacks, so only switch Pikachu in when you know it is not going to get hurt.

Counters: Snorlax, Blissey, Raikou, Steelix, Nidoking, Exeggutor, Meganium, Quagsire, Light Screen.

I personally wouldn't gamble with Thunder. Pikachu has potential to kill a lot, but using Thunder may cause you to lose against Suicune, Slowbro, and Tentacruel. Also, how is Nidoking a counter, Pikachu is faster right?

I believe BH did this one long ago. Also, if you're going to (re)write a Pokemon analysis this late, at least follow the guidelines. Give the set a good name, explain why the counters are counters, list counters for both UU and OU,

havoc

pottlepalooza
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
BH did an analysis of both Pikachu and Raichu but didn't have enough information on both of them. Besides, there isn't a Pikachu analysis on the dex at all. SirChris did the Raichu analysis listed on the dex. BH's article probably doesn't even exist anymore since I don't even see the archives anywhere.

Thunder OHKOs a lot of things that Thunderbolt does not.

Meganium and Quagsire are the biggest underused counters for Pikachu.

EDIT: oh wait I forgot I could just put this on SCMS lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)