ORAS PU Gregories Insanity

|
|
|
|
|

Introduction

Hey, everyone, this is my second RMT and second one for PU. My first RMT I did was a pretty bad team I guess and while it did do sorta well for me for the most part, this one is significantly better, I feel. I'm currently number 18 on the PU ladder with this team. I started with wanting to make a good Hyper Offense team, which I tried before but the others had lots and lots of problems, and this one seems to be working really well so far, and I thought I'd make another RMT.

The Team

Swagga (Swanna) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Hurricane
- Surf

I started with Swanna on the team because I feel like it's really the only *good* hazard controller in PU. I'm sure there are others but I just feel like Swanna is the best of them, I'm not sure about the viability or anything of all of them, but I like Swanna for it. I run Surf over Scald because I think the power boost is really nice and needed over the scald burns on it. I have a few friends who disagree with that, which is understandable. And eventually when I added Swadloon I thought about how much Sticky Web really helps Swanna hit hard and beat stuff it normally wouldn't.

Zangringoose (Ursaring) (M) @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Ursaring is a pokemon I've really wanted to use for a long time, and I feel like it's actually one of the strongest members on the team currently. With Sticky Web up, Ursaring outspeeds a lot of pokemon and is able to tear apart teams with a STAB Guts Facade or any of the coverage moves it has. I run Jolly over Adamant and speedy, even though before when I used it a long time ago I ran a bulky wallbreaker but this set is more for sweeping after Sticky Web and for some wallbreaking capabilities still.

Relicando (Relicanth) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Scald
- Stone Edge

Relicanth was a pokemon I wasn't really ever thinking I would use before, but it has some fantastic physical bulk and just tanks almost anything thrown at it. It's my Stealth Rocker and can come in on a lot of stuff without worrying about too much. I'm running Scald even though the SpA is pitiful simply for the burns as it's really helpful. Stone Edge is there so it can still hit stuff overall pretty well, I've thought about changing it to Rock Slide though to be honest.

Winter Sucks (Swadloon) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Sticky Web
- Synthesis
- Toxic
- Giga Drain

The fourth pokemon I added is Swadloon, which most people probably will disagree with. I wasn't sure who I could put as my Special Wall that would work well with Relicanth. I was initially going to put Roselia, but I decided on going with Swadloon because I'm running Defog because I don't want to set up 3 layers of Spikes or something and have to Defog, so I thought running Swadloon would be better. Swadloon also allows me to get up Sticky Web which allows for Ursaring, Swanna, and no more Scarf Rotom-Frost to do work to the other player's pokemon. Swadloon also works really well with Relicanth from my experience with this team, as their weaknesses are pretty much negated by each other, bar Freeze Dry and Monferno, so it's a pretty decent core imo. Synthesis is there for recovery, Toxic is for passive damage on stuff it normally couldn't do too much to, and Giga is there for recovery and damage.

Rotom-Friggengay (Rotom-Frost) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Thunderbolt
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch

The fifth pokemon on the team is Scarf Rotom-Frost. The nickname comes from the fact that it caused my past two attempts at teams a lot of pain and what caused me to make this team. Rotom is really good and I initially didn't think it was all that fantastic from what I had in my head until I started getting destroyed by it and ended up using it. I'm running Modest over Timid as it allows for more damage and with Scarf it's already rather fast, and after tricking the item to a pokemon that doesn't really want a Scarf, it's not too much of a problem. Rotom deals with most of the eviolite pokemon I run into and can deal a significant amount of damage to the team. Rotom is one of the pokemon that contributes the most to the team and really helps a lot.

MachokinthisD (Machoke) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Encore
- Cross Chop
- Knock Off

The final pokemon on the team is Machoke. I was having trouble thinking of the sixth pokemon and my friend, SWAGCOLFO, helped me decide on Machoke. He helped come up with the set too. Machoke, however, is one of the weaker links to the team most of the time, but it does a lot of work when it can. Initially I ran max Attack instead of SpD but I felt running max SpD would help add more bulk overall. Encore allows for easier set up and has caused a few forfeits before. I'm running Cross Chop over CC as I don't want the stat drops because I plan on staying in after setting up. I'm also running Guts so that way if I get Burned it's not too much of a detriment. Knock Off helps hit Gourgeist and other Ghost-Types.

Conclusion

Thank you, everyone who read through this and decided to give this a read and help give criticism, it really helps me out. I actually really like this team and I'm performing pretty well with it, I'll post a picture of my rank on the ladder to confirm that I'm not lying about getting up there, but the GXE and Glicko are a little low because I had been using the other Hyper Offense teams on this account and my friends and I play on it too, but mainly I've been using it to ladder in PU lately so they haven't really been on it recently. Anyways, thanks for reading this, hopefully there will be some criticism that can help the team be even better than it was before! Thanks guys!
NUMBA 18.png

Last edited:
Hi Gegowyy, cool team you've got here and congratulations on your success with it on the ladder. I'm just gonna suggest some tweaks to hopefully improve your team.

To begin with, there are a few Pokemon / sets on this team that are either outclassed or unviable, so I want to mention those first then get down to tweaks that improve your matchups vs opposing threats and team archetypes. To begin with, I suggest you replace Swadloon with Quilladin, as Swadloon is honestly just unviable, despite its strong synergy with with Relicanth and it's nice special bulk. Quilladin gives your team a nice Golem check, which you struggle a lot with at this point, as well as a more reliable way to deal with Stunfisk.

Secondly, I notice you have a pretty big weakness to Monferno and Pawniard, and with the combination of Swanna and Relicanth, you're honestly just stacking weaknesses to Electric-types, leaving you very vulnerable to Pokemon such as Zebstrika, so I'm going to recommend you change Relicanth --> Stunfisk, which really helps you with said weaknesses, and gives you a Volt Switch absorber, which is very nice to have on pretty much any team.

At this point, Rotom-F, mainly the Substitute + Will-O-Wisp set, gives you major problems, and in order to combat this, I'm going to recommend you change your current Machoke set --> RestTalk Machoke, which grants you with more survivability for Rotom-F, and with this change, I suggest you change Close Combat --> Dynamic Punch and Guts --> No Guard, therefore you aren't lowering your defenses at all when trying to beat opposing Rotom-F.

As for your Ursaring set, Guts really isn't viable, especially in this offensive meta where everything seems to be very fast, Ursaring is really going to struggle to survive throughout games. Now since I know that this is your wallbreaker, I'm going to suggest you keep Ursaring, but change Guts --> Quick Feet, therefore freeing up a spot for Swords Dance and adding some much needed Speed.

tl;dr

Quilladin @ Eviolite | Bulletproof
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | Jolly
Seed Bomb / Zen Headbutt / Taunt / Spikes

Stunfisk @ Leftovers | Static
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe | Bold
Stealth Rock / Earth Power / Discharge / Toxic

Machoke @ Eviolite | No Guard
248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe | Adamant
Dynamic Punch / Knock Off / Rest / Sleep Talk

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb | Quick Feet
Swords Dance / Facade / Close Combat / Crunch

Hope I helped :toast:

Hi Gegowyy, cool team you've got here and congratulations on your success with it on the ladder. I'm just gonna suggest some tweaks to hopefully improve your team.

To begin with, there are a few Pokemon / sets on this team that are either outclassed or unviable, so I want to mention those first then get down to tweaks that improve your matchups vs opposing threats and team archetypes. To begin with, I suggest you replace Swadloon with Quilladin, as Swadloon is honestly just unviable, despite its strong synergy with with Relicanth and it's nice special bulk. Quilladin gives your team a nice Golem check, which you struggle a lot with at this point, as well as a more reliable way to deal with Stunfisk.

Secondly, I notice you have a pretty big weakness to Monferno and Pawniard, and with the combination of Swanna and Relicanth, you're honestly just stacking weaknesses to Electric-types, leaving you very vulnerable to Pokemon such as Zebstrika, so I'm going to recommend you change Relicanth --> Stunfisk, which really helps you with said weaknesses, and gives you a Volt Switch absorber, which is very nice to have on pretty much any team.

At this point, Rotom-F, mainly the Substitute + Will-O-Wisp set, gives you major problems, and in order to combat this, I'm going to recommend you change your current Machoke set --> RestTalk Machoke, which grants you with more survivability for Rotom-F, and with this change, I suggest you change Close Combat --> Dynamic Punch and Guts --> No Guard, therefore you aren't lowering your defenses at all when trying to beat opposing Rotom-F.

As for your Ursaring set, Guts really isn't viable, especially in this offensive meta where everything seems to be very fast, Ursaring is really going to struggle to survive throughout games. Now since I know that this is your wallbreaker, I'm going to suggest you keep Ursaring, but change Guts --> Quick Feet, therefore freeing up a spot for Swords Dance and adding some much needed Speed.

tl;dr

Quilladin @ Eviolite | Bulletproof
Seed Bomb / Zen Headbutt / Taunt / Spikes

Stunfisk @ Leftovers | Static
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe | Bold
Stealth Rock / Earth Power / Discharge / Toxic

Machoke @ Eviolite | No Guard
248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe | Adamant
Dynamic Punch / Knock Off / Rest / Sleep Talk

Ursaring @ Toxic Orb | Quick Feet
Swords Dance / Facade / Close Combat / Crunch

Hope I helped :toast:
Thanks a lot! I understand where you're coming from a lot, especially with Swadloon, however, my main reason for using Swadloon wasn't exactly to be a good special wall, but rather to be there without me setting up a lot of spikes and then defogging them away, but still being a decent Special Wall with Relicanth. You do bring up good points about using Quilladin over Swadloon, especially the Golem problem which I completely forgot about when writing this, however, and I might give it a try. I bet the Machoke set isn't really viable, too, I was hoping had Drain Punch when I was making it and it is honestly the weakest member, imo. The Ursaring without Sticky Web would really honestly be understandable, but it outspeeds a lot, not Floatzel, Zebstrika, and a few others, but with Sticky Web it really hurts most pokemon, and forces the other player to sack something when it comes in. Relicanth over Stunfisk I actually do really understand, I hadn't initially thought of it when building. The Electric weakness is something I haven't really encountered, to be honest. Which isn't saying I don't think it exists, because I definitely know it does, but I haven't really run into a Zebstrika with this team. Raichu and Electrode are not problems for the team and tend to be relatively easy to work around. Zebstrika, does, however really hurt the team, looking at it. I am probably going to change the Machoke set and see how it does for a bit, and if I like it more, I'll keep it. If I change Swadloon to Quill, I'll change Ursaring with it, as without Sticky Web, Ursaring won't be able to do anything really. I forgot to mention, it looks like I have a Monferno problem, but I really don't have any problem with it and I run into it quite a lot. Swanna, Machoke, and Rotom-Frost actually all deal with it really well, aside from only one I ran into which was the Sash/Endeavor/Mach Punch set. Anyways, thanks a lot. Hopefully it can help my team be a lot better than it is! I'll test the changes out and let you know what I think of them!

Raiza

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
Hi Gegowyy
The team is decent and has switch-ins for most Pokemon out there, so not many issues about that, the only Pokemon you struggle switching into are mainly Ice-types, such as Regice and Rotom-F. Regice can just sweep through your whole team if Machoke is weakened, while Rotom-F is really annoying when running the Substitute Will-O-Wisp variant, as it is not only immune to Sticky Webs, but also forces the switches of Swadloon, Relicanth, and your Rotom-F when locked into Thunderbolt / Blizzard, therefore actually finds opportunities to set up a Substitute, and is able to hit hard everyone of your Pokemon due to its combination of Blizzard and Thunderbolt. Also, this team doesn't really need Sticky Webs to put in work, as almost your Pokemon work efficiently even without them, apart from Guts Ursaring, which ability can be replaced anyway, and you also run a Defog user, which will remove Sticky Webs most of the time, so I don't see any valid reason to keep Swadloon since what you said about Defog removing layers of hazards, therefore making replacements worse, happens anyway with Sticky Webs. So let's get into the changes:

Ursaring: SD Quick Feet > Guts: Even though you carry Sticky Webs support, Guts Ursaring isn't outspeeding most revengekillers and most Pokemon picked in offensive teams anyway, making it quite subpar, and Sticky Webs aren't even guaranteed to be set up in this case due to you also running a Defog user, therefore it becomes really not viable. Quick Feet along with Swords Dance allows you to still be threatening as both a wallbreaker and sweeper, while carrying much more Speed to deal with offensive teams, and not necessarily depending from Sticky Webs support to put in work.

Roselia > Swadloon: With the only Sticky Webs abuser in Guts Ursaring gone, now I see even less of a reason to run Swadloon here honestly. Roselia sports a way better typing than Swadloon, and its access to Sleep Powder / Spikes is really valuable to find set up opportunities with Ursaring or help it clean up the opposing team, providing more utility than Sticky Webs will ever do now. You said that you didn't want to run Roselia along with Defog because it wouldn't be as effective, but that also applies to Sticky Webs users such as Swadloon, and you don't have to necessarily set up Spikes or click Defog, as most of the time it will be your opponent to be pressured and removing entry hazards by himself, something you can take advantage of by finding more set up opportunities with your setup sweepers or just spam attacks. Honestly I prefer Sleep Powder instead of Spikes here anyway, because along some Speed investments, it will allow Roselia to creep Adamant Golem, and win the lead matchup against it, which is good as otherwise Golem is a pain to your team(even if Jolly Golem outspeeds, it shoulnd't be able to KO Roselia before getting put to sleep).

Grumpig > Machoke: Machoke feels like just a filler here, as it doesn't have much purpose into the team, especially when running that set which isn't really viable. Machoke kind of helps you against most special attackers, but its lack of recovery make it get weakened really quickly anyway, therefore it isn't as reliable. Bulk Up with specially defensive investments isn't going to really put much in work against the opponent either, since even after a boost it still won't deal much damage given you aren't running Close Combat but instead Cross Chop, which is considerably weaker. If you want to keep it you should at least make it bulky RestTalk to recover up the constant damage that is needed to be taken to be efficient. Anyways, Grumpig here provides you way much utility than Machoke. Grumpig considerably helps you dealing with aforementioned Ice-types, but also other threats to your team that have been already mentioned such as Monferno, and others such as Psychic-types. Thanks to Colbur Berry, it also able to lure Pawniard and KO it with Focus Blast, which is valuable given the team struggles against it.

Relicanth: Earthquake > Stone Edge: This change is made purely to not let Pawniard set up on Relicanth, instead making Relicanth a threat to it and also a decent revengekiller for Pawniard in case it manages to set up on another team member. Stone Edge loss won't be really suffered as Scald + Toxic should still deal with most Flying-types, also because they won't stay in most of the time anyway, while Earthquake is still able to hit Water-types and other Pokemon that resist Scald or are immune to Toxic, notably Poison-types such as Arbok which can bother you if it carries unexpected coverage moves such as Seed Bomb.

Hope I helped

Zangringoose (Ursaring) (M) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Quick Feet
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Swords Dance

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 128 SpD / 124 Spe
Calm Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Grumpig @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave
- Shadow Ball

Last edited:

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi there, nice team.

I agree with what most other people have been saying about about some of your team, like Ursaring's and Machoke's set, and Swadloon being outclassed. As Raiza said, Roselia would be a good replacement for Swadloon as it still provides you with a special Water-type wall, but it has more bulk, isnt weak to stealth rocks, has an offensive presence and can even provide Spike support (which is effective even with defog support). Roselia really would be crucial for your team, as otherwise fast electric and water-types like floatzel and electrode can punch wholes through your team, as you currently rely on Rotom-f to check them, which gets warn warn down by stealth rocks if are up, as there is a lot of pressure for rotom-f to come in throughout the game.

Next, I don't think Machoke does much for your team, as it is slow meaning it wont sweep much and gets warn down. I suggest SD Monferno as a replacement, as with Mach Punch, it can sweep late game once faster offensive mons have been weakened. It still provides you with a Fighting-type to help you check threatening mons like Regice and Stoutland, and provides the team with a resistance to special Ice and Fire types (relicanth cant check them as they all run electric/grass moves). Its strength means that you can use it as a wall breaker or a late game sweeper, so very much fills Machokes spot. Another change I think you help you is running AV Bouffalant over Ursaring. As it stands, the team would love an extra special tank to take on special threats which can beat Roselia, most notably Rotom-f and Grumpig. It can also provide Pursuit support to trap Psychic types which annoy Monferno, and has great coverage to wear down some other of its checks like Stunfisk. Sap Sippor also improves your matchup with Jumpluff, which can break Relicanth and Roselia.

As for set changes, the only thing I recommend would be Head Smash and Rock Head on Relicanth over Stone Edge, as it greatly increases its damage output, and if you choose to run Monferno, you will have enough for Pawniard so you wont need Earthquake.

Roselia @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spikes
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Monferno @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Fist
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Flare Blitz

Bouffalant @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 248 HP / 144 Atk / 104 SpD / 12 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Facade (helps with Rotom-f)

Relicanth
Sturdy --> Rock Head
Stone Edge --> Head Smash

Hope I helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)