Media General Music Discussion Thread

i've recently been on a huge Midwest Emo/Post Hardcore, Indie Rock, and Electronic kick, bouncing around off things I find on spotify and similar artists -- if anyone got good bands (esp more modern-ish since this is a realm i do got least some background in but ofc life/work makes it hard to be on top of all going on paying ya own way lmaooo) id definitely appreciate it in any of those realms.

Edit* also super down for the "Experimental" artists that love to genre blend too.

Last edited:

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
i've recently been on a huge Midwest Emo/Post Hardcore, Indie Rock, and Electronic kick, bouncing around off things I find on spotify and similar artists -- if anyone got good bands (esp more modern-ish since this is a realm i do got least some background in but ofc life/work makes it hard to be on top of all going on paying ya own way lmaooo) id definitely appreciate it in any of those realms.

Edit* also super down for the "Experimental" artists that love to genre blend too.
idk if theyre what ur looking for but i adore the wonder years

idk if theyre what ur looking for but i adore the wonder years
i def heard their name before but would be lying if i was 100% familiar, will peep em for sure, tyvm friend

was listening to novely - "oh no! here comes the sad part" (any screamo lovers peep that) coming in to this post haha.

Last edited:

BT89

go on, take everything
is a Pre-Contributor

one of the best experimental midwest emo albums in the past 15 years

I have to recommend the EP, Lava Land by Piglet. It doesn't quite fit in the genres you mentioned, but I love all of them and this is one of my favs of all times. V good math rocky vibes:)

Mr. Uncompetitive

Ugh Cough! Cough! Splutter!
is a Contributor Alumnus

Pretty well-known at this point, but just in case, check out Turnstile - Glow On if you haven't already. Seconding Brave Little Abacus as well.

The terrifying realization that a lot of the "modern" bands i'm listening to that meet this description are Asian, so if that doesn't bother you...:
  • Anything by Chinese Football, I'm not really a pure Midwest Emo fan but I still really like them
  • Soumbalgwang - Happiness, Flower has a noisy (almost shoegaze-ish, yet still catchy) take on post-hardcore like Turnstile, can't believe it's so overlooked
  • Dabda - But All The Shining Things Are is one of my fav albums of the 2020s. It's an Indie Rock take on Math Rock (with a bit of Post-Rock and Dream Pop), but it's close enough to Midwest Emo
  • Slant is prolly my favorite "new" and currently active band. They're straight hardcore punk, not post-hardcore, but I'd still HIGHLY recommend them.

Last edited:
thank you to all for the replies, as a music nerd at heart ima keep em in the spotify search log and eat up their catalogs and some their similar artists.
:mad:

also Mr. Uncompetitive i'm from NY so ofc love hardcore punk since im very appreciative of the bubble we got out here (grow up a bit in it lol) too, i will def peep all the lobs

Last edited:

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor

listen to unwound. fake train might be a good entry point for you since it's unwound at their most "emo" (more in the 80s hardcore sense a la rites of spring than in the american football or sunny day real estate sense) but i also heavily recommend new plastic ideas (probably their most consistently great album, not a single wasted moment) and leaves turn inside you (their magnum opus, but quite distinct from their other albums and one that often takes a few listens to really "click" with people). all of their albums are great though, theyre basically the best rock band of all time in my exceedingly humble opinion

oh yeah and also listen to drive like jehu theyre also fantastic

I am really into vg music. here are some of the best ones.
BIG SHOT from DELTARUNE
Morpho Knight from Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Roar of Dedede from Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Destroy the Dark Power from Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jrs Journey
E.F.S. of Winter from Don't Starve Together

BIG SHOT from DELTARUNE
Love big shot, something about "Deal Gone Wrong" (even though it is literally just a slowed version) kinda hits hard.

KatFL has got some bangers in its OST, remember being addicted to Roar of Dedede for a solid minute. Gives me Big Top Bop vibes from Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
---
In terms of songs I've been addicted to myself, well I've actually been listening to more of The Style Council - I only really knew one of their songs (Shout to the Top) but giving them more of a listen, I'm loving their Cafe Bleu album. Here's a highlight:

BIG SHOT from DELTARUNE
Morpho Knight from Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Roar of Dedede from Kirby and the Forgotten Land
Destroy the Dark Power from Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jrs Journey
E.F.S. of Winter from Don't Starve Together
Video Game music is amazing, it took me quote some time to get into "normal" music but VGM has always been in my life
Sonic Adventure 2 definitely shaped my music taste
(I do have a self imposed policy of not listening to stuff I want to play in the future, so I won't comment on these specifically. Kirby and M&L is always nice to see though)

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In terms of music, I recently had the pleasure of seeing Mahler 4 live, which was terrific. It is one of a few classical pieces that has some singing. I also plan to see Mahler 2 (Resurrection), Mahler 3, Mahler 6, and Mahler 7 live. I honestly implore people to listen to classical music, especially if you like video game music. What I enjoy most about classical music is that there is a gradual build-up to the most intense parts, which makes the song's climax much more enjoyable.

I have been listening to Lainey Wilson and am dedicated to her music and story of being rejected by American Idol multiple times and becoming a country icon. I also plan to see her live, which should be really fun. Here are a few tracks I like from her: Heart Like a Truck, Wildflowers and Wild Horses, Grease, and Watermelon Moonshine.

Recently, I have been listening to some Nirvana, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, and Foo Fighters. I like these artists, but I think it's just me exploring music outside of my comfort zone rather than a new set of musical interests.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)