Programming Pokémon Showdown Damage Calculator

Austin

Schismatic
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
this is rather nitpicky so im posting it here but is it possible to either add a second wingull set with flyinium z or just change the wingull set rn from life orb to flyinium? its pretty annoying to calc wingull because the wingull on the calc is set to hold life orb rather than flyinium, which is what most wingull run nowadays, and having to find and change the item just to not mess with calcs can be inconvenient. not to mention that wingull will often be in play multiple times during a match so having the set hold flyinium instead would make it less time consuming to calc. and yes i realize you can import sets onto the calc but that set only appears for your computer so it would make it more universally convenient to just change the item wingull holds from life orb to flyinium or to just add a flyinium set.
Change the set on smogon and sure, we rip all of our sets from here

Last edited:
Just noticed there is a dedicated thread to damage calc bugs. Discovered in the bug report thread so I'll repost here since it's more appropriate.

Metronome (the item) does not function correctly, giving incorrect boost values. Here's a specific quote from the thread with more detail.

The damage calculator is implementing Metronome as no boost for the first use, then x1.1, then x1.32 (applying both a 1.1 and a 1.2 boost), then x1.716 (all of 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3), then x2.4024 (tacking on a 1.4 as well). Battle source, on the other hand, simply adds a flat 1.2 to the multiplier each time...with the implication that the move wouldn't max out until the 6th use, rather than the 5th?
Easy example:

1 time: 252 SpA Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow: 162-192 (50.4 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
5 times: 252 SpA Metronome Abomasnow Blizzard vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Abomasnow: 389-461 (121.1 - 143.6%) -- guaranteed KO in 1 turns

Metronome's maximum damage multiplier is 2x, so it's clear to see that the damage here is way off.

BigPimpin12

Banned deucer.
While using the calculator I noticed that Rocky Helmet wasn't available as an item and it seems like it should be given that it affects damage output and ranges. I asked in Help if this was something intentional or if I was just missing something and was asked to post about it here so here I am.

dmgcalc.png

This is currently what is listed for items beginning with 'R.'

Noticed a bug where switching from the default Abomasnow set to a blank Gyarados set didn't change the displayed max hp, so it still showed 321 instead of 331. Also, if you're going to have weather persist after changing out the Pokemon whose ability set it automatically, can the default Pokemon not be Abomasnow? It's pretty annoying to have to turn off the hail for every first calculation.

Not all of the berries for natural gift work, and one isn't even there, which forces you to make up a move and adjust the BP to do an accurate calc.
Wiki
Aguav
Aspear
Bluk
Cheri
Cornn
Figy
Grepa
Hondew
Iapapa
Kelpsy
Mago
Magost
Nanab
Nomel
Pamtre
Pecha
Persim
Pinap
Pomeg
Qualot
Rabuta
Razz
Spelon
Tamato
Wepear

In addition, Lum does not appear in the calc at all, much less to use for natural gift purposes (It's typically an 80 BP flying move).

Thanks,
Bortortle

I don't know if this is a bug or a design choice, but the chance-to-KO feature goes a bit screwy when the maximum damage is exactly enough to KO.
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 250-294 (63.4 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 208 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 250-294 (63.6 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 204 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 250-294 (63.7 - 75%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 200 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 250-294 (63.9 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 250-294 (64.1 - 75.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 250-294 (64.2 - 75.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes

I don't know if this is a bug or a design choice, but the chance-to-KO feature goes a bit screwy when the maximum damage is exactly enough to KO.
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 250-294 (63.4 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 208 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 250-294 (63.6 - 74.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 204 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 250-294 (63.7 - 75%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 200 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 250-294 (63.9 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 196 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 250-294 (64.1 - 75.3%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
+2 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 192 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 250-294 (64.2 - 75.5%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and 1 layer of Spikes
Does this only happen when the target is taking damage from stealth rock and spikes?

Felixx

I'm back.
Mold Breaker, Teravolt and Turboblaze are not ignoring Multiscale/Shadow Shield as intended at the moment:

252+ Atk Teravolt Zekrom Outrage vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 250-295 (77.3 - 91.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Mold Breaker Rampardos Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 225-265 (69.6 - 82%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Turboblaze Kyurem-White Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Lugia: 186-219 (52.6 - 62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Marshadow Spectral Thief vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Shadow Shield Lunala: 318-374 (76.6 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Also when calculating, Multiscale/Shadow Shield aren't taking into the effect that the second and consecutive attacks do twice the amount of the first:

252 Atk Lopunny Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 61-72 (18.8 - 22.2%) -- possible 5HKO (it should be 3HKO)
Mold Breaker, Teravolt, and Turboblaze aren't suppose to ignore Shadow Shield, they do bypass Multiscale though

252+ SpA Seviper Acid Downpour (175 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Koko: 660-776 (234.8 - 276.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after poison damage
Why does the poison damage matter? If it doesn't, then why does it display?

jcbc

lechonk is so cute
is a Pre-Contributor
why don't add the moves, items and abilities that left in the calc? Aswell might want to updated some sets that are still being old in the cal (even they got updated on the analysis)

Austin

Schismatic
is a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
why don't add the moves, items and abilities that left in the calc? Aswell might want to updated some sets that are still being old in the cal (even they got updated on the analysis)
Which moves, items, and abilities are missing? If you give me the list I’ll add them asap

jcbc

lechonk is so cute
is a Pre-Contributor
So as you requested to me to here is the list of the moves, items and abilities that left to be added on the calculator:

Absorb, Acid, Acid Armor, Acupressure, After You, Ally Switch, Aqua Ring, Aromatic Mist, Assist, Attract, Aurora Veil, Baby-Doll-Eyes, Baneful Bunker, Barrage, Beat Up, Bide, Block, Bubble, Camouflage, Captitative, Celebrate, Charge, Charm, Comet Punch, Confide, Confusion, Constrict, Conversion/2, Copycat, Cosmic Power, Cotton Spore, Counter, Crush Grip, Cut, Detect, Dizzy Punch, Dragon Dance, Dragon Breath, Echoed Voice, Eerie Impulse, Egg Bomb, Electrify, Embargo, Ember, Entrainment, Fairy Lock, Fairy Wind, Fake Tears, False Swipe, Feather Dance, Fissure, Flash, Flatter, Flower Healing, Flower Shield, Focus Energy, Follow Me, Foresight, Fury Attack, Fury Cutter, Gastro Acid, Gear Up, Grass Whistle, Grassy Terrain, Gravity, Growl, Growth, Grudge, Guard Split, Guard Swap, Guillotine, Hail, Happy Hour, Harden, Happy Hour, Headbutt, Heal Block, Heart Swap, Hear Crash, Hold Back, Hold Hands, Horn Drill, Howl, Hypnosis, Ice Ball, Imprison, Ion Deluge, Instruct, Karate Chop, Kinesis, Laser Focus, Leafage, Leer, Lick, Lock On, Lucky Chant, Magic Room, Magnetic Flux, Magnitude, Mat Block, Mean Look, Meditate, Mega Drain, Mega Kick, Mega Punch, Memento, Metal Burst, Metal Sound, Metronome, Mimic, Mind Reader, Minimize, Miracle Eye, Mirror Coat, Mist, Misty Terrain, Morning Sun, Mud Slap, Mud Spot, Nightmare, Noble Roar, Octazooka, Odor Sleuth, Pain Split, Parting Shot, Pay Day, Peck, Perish Song, Petal Blizzard, Play Nice, Poison Gas, Poison Powder, Poison Sting, Pound, Powder, Powder Snow, Power Split, Power Swap, Power Trick, Present, Psybeam, Psychic Terrain, Psych Up, Psywave, Purify, Quash, Rage, Rain Dance, Razor Wing, Reflect Type, Role Play, Rolling Kick, Rollout, Rototiller, Safeguard, Sand Attack, Sandstorm, Scary Face, Scratch, Screech, Sharpen, Shore Up, Simple Beam, Sketch, Skill Swap, Slam, Sleep Powder, Smelling Salts, Smog, Smokescreen, Snatch, Snore, Soak, Speed Swap, Spider Web, Spike Cannon, Spite, Spit Up, Splash, Spotlight, Stomp, Strength, Strength Sap, String Shot, Stun Spore, Supersonic, Swallow, Sweet Kiss, Sweet Scent, Tail Whip, Tearful Look, Teeter Dance, Telekinesis, Teleport, Thunder Shock, Tickle, Topsy-Turvy, Torment, Toxic Thread, Transform, Trick-or-Treat, Triple Kick, Trump Card, Twister, Venom Drench, Vine Grip, Vine Whip, Water Sport, Withdraw, Wonder Room, Work Up, Worry Seed.

//deal with ability functions//
Anger Point, Anticipation, Aroma Veil, Big Pecks, Cheek Pouch, Color Change, Competitive, Compound Eyes, Cursed Body, Cute Charm, Damp, Early Bird, Effect Spore, Flame Body, Flower Veil, Frisk, Friend Guard, Gluttony, Gooey, Healer, Heavy Metal, Heatproof, Harvest, Hustle, Hydration, Honey Gather, Illuminate, Illusion, Inmunity, Imposter, Inner Focus, Insomnia, Iron Barbs, Keen Eye, Leaf Guard, Light Metal, Limber, Magic Bounce, Magician, Magma Armor, Magnet Pull, Moody, Moxie, Multiscale, Multitype, Mummy, Natural Cure, No Guard, Normalize, Oblivious, Own Tempo, Persistent, Pickpocket, Pickup, Poison Point, Prankster, Pressure, Serene Grace, Shadow Tag, Shed Skin, Speed Boost, Stall, Stance Change, Static, Steadfast, Stench, Suction Cups, Super Luck, Sweet Veil, Symbiosis, Synchronize, Tangled Feet, Telepathy, Trace, Truant, Unburden, Victory Star, Vital Spirit, Water Veil, Wonder Skin, Zen Mode.

Hope it helps out to make calculator better Austin

Last edited by a moderator:
So as you requested to me to here is the list of the moves, items and abilities that left to be added on the calculator:

Absorb, Acid, Acid Armor, Acupressure, After You, Ally Switch, Aqua Ring, Aromatic Mist, Assist, Attract, Aurora Veil, Baby-Doll-Eyes, Baneful Bunker, Barrage, Beat Up, Bide, Block, Bubble, Camouflage, Captitative, Celebrate, Charge, Charm, Comet Punch, Confide, Confusion, Constrict, Conversion/2, Copycat, Cosmic Power, Cotton Spore, Counter, Crush Grip, Cut, Detect, Dizzy Punch, Dragon Dance, Dragon Breath, Echoed Voice, Eerie Impulse, Egg Bomb, Electrify, Embargo, Ember, Entrainment, Fairy Lock, Fairy Wind, Fake Tears, False Swipe, Feather Dance, Fissure, Flash, Flatter, Flower Healing, Flower Shield, Focus Energy, Follow Me, Foresight, Fury Attack, Fury Cutter, Gastro Acid, Gear Up, Grass Whistle, Grassy Terrain, Gravity, Growl, Growth, Grudge, Guard Split, Guard Swap, Guillotine, Hail, Happy Hour, Harden, Happy Hour, Headbutt, Heal Block, Heart Swap, Hear Crash, Hold Back, Hold Hands, Horn Drill, Howl, Hypnosis, Ice Ball, Imprison, Ion Deluge, Instruct, Karate Chop, Kinesis, Laser Focus, Leafage, Leer, Lick, Lock On, Lucky Chant, Magic Room, Magnetic Flux, Magnitude, Mat Block, Mean Look, Meditate, Mega Drain, Mega Kick, Mega Punch, Memento, Metal Burst, Metal Sound, Metronome, Mimic, Mind Reader, Minimize, Miracle Eye, Mirror Coat, Mist, Misty Terrain, Morning Sun, Mud Slap, Mud Spot, Nightmare, Noble Roar, Octazooka, Odor Sleuth, Pain Split, Parting Shot, Pay Day, Peck, Perish Song, Petal Blizzard, Play Nice, Poison Gas, Poison Powder, Poison Sting, Pound, Powder, Powder Snow, Power Split, Power Swap, Power Trick, Present, Psybeam, Psychic Terrain, Psych Up, Psywave, Purify, Quash, Rage, Rain Dance, Razor Wing, Reflect Type, Role Play, Rolling Kick, Rollout, Rototiller, Safeguard, Sand Attack, Sandstorm, Scary Face, Scratch, Screech, Sharpen, Shore Up, Simple Beam, Sketch, Skill Swap, Slam, Sleep Powder, Smelling Salts, Smog, Smokescreen, Snatch, Snore, Soak, Speed Swap, Spider Web, Spike Cannon, Spite, Spit Up, Splash, Spotlight, Stomp, Strength, Strength Sap, String Shot, Stun Spore, Supersonic, Swallow, Sweet Kiss, Sweet Scent, Tail Whip, Tearful Look, Teeter Dance, Telekinesis, Teleport, Thunder Shock, Tickle, Topsy-Turvy, Torment, Toxic Thread, Transform, Trick-or-Treat, Triple Kick, Trump Card, Twister, Venom Drench, Vine Grip, Vine Whip, Water Sport, Withdraw, Wonder Room, Work Up, Worry Seed.

Absorb Bulb, Cell Battery, Damp Rock, Full Incense, Heat Rock, Icy Rock, Lax Incense, Odd Incense, Rock Incense, Rose Incense, Sea Incense, Wave Incense.

Anger Point, Anticipation, Aroma Veil, Big Pecks, Cheek Pouch, Color Change, Competitive, Compound Eyes, Cursed Body, Cute Charm, Damp, Early Bird, Effect Spore, Flame Body, Flower Veil, Frisk, Friend Guard, Gluttony, Gooey, Healer, Heavy Metal, Heatproof, Harvest, Hustle, Hydration, Honey Gather, Illuminate, Illusion, Inmunity, Imposter, Inner Focus, Insomnia, Iron Barbs, Keen Eye, Leaf Guard, Light Metal, Limber, Magic Bounce, Magician, Magma Armor, Magnet Pull, Moody, Moxie, Multiscale, Multitype, Mummy, Natural Cure, No Guard, Normalize, Oblivious, Own Tempo, Persistent, Pickpocket, Pickup, Poison Point, Prankster, Pressure, Serene Grace, Shadow Tag, Shed Skin, Speed Boost, Stall, Stance Change, Static, Steadfast, Stench, Suction Cups, Super Luck, Sweet Veil, Symbiosis, Synchronize, Tangled Feet, Telepathy, Trace, Truant, Unburden, Victory Star, Vital Spirit, Water Veil, Wonder Skin, Zen Mode.

Hope it helps out to make calculator better Austin
A lot of these have no effect on damage, so I think adding them would be a waste of time. Remember, programmers are people, too.

jcbc

lechonk is so cute
is a Pre-Contributor
A lot of these have no effect on damage, so I think adding them would be a waste of time. Remember, programmers are people, too.
I know some of them might be useless adding but some others none and it gives a more realistic usage just trying to help, i made the post now they can ignore it, add some or add everything, is up to them, i'm not trying to pressure or make anyone work for no reason, just thought that if they are real moves/abilities/items why don't just add them :blobshrug:

Not sure if this is the place to post it but there seems to be a bug in how the calculator works out the % chance to kill of repeated use of moves that weaken offensive stats (like Superpower and Draco Meteor for example). It seems to show the reverse percentage of what it should - as in, say if a move has a 75% chance to 2HKO, it will say it has a 25% chance to 2HKO. Examples below.

Last edited:
https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/374666310035963905/456926047624232974/unknown.png

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/374666310035963905/456926120319647754/unknown.png

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/374666310035963905/456926167132536854/unknown.png

so as u can see in the last imagine, when using Once, Twice or more times for draco, it doesnt take choice specs into the count, with everything else it works and like if u put Lifeorb on kingdra instead of specs, doing calc by last picture it will deal more damage with lifeorb then specs.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/374666310035963905/456926047624232974/unknown.png

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/374666310035963905/456926120319647754/unknown.png

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/374666310035963905/456926167132536854/unknown.png

so as u can see in the last imagine, when using Once, Twice or more times for draco, it doesnt take choice specs into the count, with everything else it works and like if u put Lifeorb on kingdra instead of specs, doing calc by last picture it will deal more damage with lifeorb then specs.
I don't understand what you are saying, the calcs you see are good.
Draco Meteor (once) without Choice Specs does 29.2 - 34.8% , so with Choice Specs it should do as with +1 SpA, which is 44.2 - 52.2% if you check the calc. This is exactly the value you are reporting, so there is no mistake here.
Also Life Orb does not do more damage, it does 38 - 45.3%.

EDIT: removed my comments about more hits since I didn't test it completely, see below

Last edited:
uhh, no its not that, check last post, after using 1st draco it ignores specs calculations in there. try putting that u already used specs draco once second time it will be -2 as supposed but specs dmg is not calced.

Ok, I understood, there is indeed a bug that I will develop further down so it gets fixed more easily.
But I realized it after much testing, since your explanation was really not clear and misleading:
- your first post makes believe that even with 'Once', the calc doesn't work, but it does
- currently Life Orb does not do more damage at 'Twice' than Specs, you have to go to '3 times' for it to happen and make the bug obvious, which is what mislead me
- the pics you provided do not make obvious what the bug is (a pic with 3 times with Specs, and 3 times with Life Orb would clearly show there is a problem for instance)

Anyway thanks for the hint, and here is a detailed report:
Choice items (I tested both) do not work well with multi-hit moves (I tested Superpower for instance too).
From the second hit on, these items are not taken into account anymore.

Here is the proof:
252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 208+ SpD Mantine: 165-195 (44.2 - 52.2%)
so the min damage is 165.
-2 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 208+ SpD Mantine: 84-99 (22.5 - 26.5%)
so the min damage at -2 SpA is 84, so the total min damage of 'Twice' Draco Meteor should be 249.
But currently we have: 252+ SpA Choice Specs Kingdra Draco Meteor over 2 turns vs. 248 HP / 208+ SpD Mantine: 220-261 (58.9 - 69.9%)
And 220-165=55 which is the result of no choice Specs for the second hit:
-2 252+ SpA Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 248 HP / 208+ SpD Mantine: 55-66 (14.7 - 17.6%)
demonstrating that indeed after the first hit, the Choice Specs is not taken into account anymore.

Screenshot-2018-6-27 A Pokémon Calculator.png

This occured after I removed the primary type of a pokemon (as can be seen in the screenshot in the spoiler). I would not consider this a real bug myself since primary typings are mandatory but since the calculator tells me to: Austin
Also attack reductions should affect the struggle damage in this gen and not special attack reductions (which is right in battles but wrong in the calculator).
Screenshot-2018-6-27 A Pokémon Calculator(1).png

Edit: This happened for Gen 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Since the removal of ORAS movesets, some errors have crept in. Machoke, despite its NFE status, no longer works in combo with Eviolite. See the following calcs:
To compare, I did the calcs with Gurdurr but with the BST of Machoke:
This is the only malfunction that I found but it is not impossible that other NFEs are concerned.
There is someone?

Can you make it so when a Pokemon changes type, the calculation shows it?

An example would be

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dark Type Greninja: 211-250 (74 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I think you mean "no direct effect on damage", by which I mean stuff that is either a modifier in the damage formula or a modifier to a Pokémon's Attack, Defense, Special Attack, or Special Defense; stuff like Anger Point which are not themselves modifiers to damage or stats that govern damage, but can generate modifiers to damage (like stat stages), have an indirect effect.

Can you make it so when a Pokemon changes type, the calculation shows it?

An example would be

252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dark Type Greninja: 211-250 (74 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
The damage calculator lets you freely fiddle with values like Ability, typing, and Base Stats.

Also, I have something to say that has nothing to do with other posts in this thread: I have noticed a lack of Substitute in the damage calculator, though I am not entirely sure how necessary it is. Since it takes off 25% of its user's maximum HP to create what amounts to a separate "shield" health bar with an amount of HP equal to the amount of HP used to create it, and since most attacks in competitive Pokémon take off more than 25% of their target's HP, the usual practical effect of Substitute is to cap the damage of the next hit taken to 25% of the user's max HP. There are cases where an attack would not take off 25% or more of the target's HP, such as Seismic Toss used on a Pokémon with a huge HP stat like Blissey or Wailord (I'd mention Wobbuffet, but it can't learn Substitute), in which case the Substitute survives with a reduced amount of remaining HP, but leftover damage from the hit that breaks the Substitute still isn't transferred to the Pokémon behind it, so it still imposes a cap on the effective damage from the hit that breaks it. I think this cap only applies to the damage that would be taken by the Pokémon behind the Substitute; it doesn't apply to other things that are a function of the dealt damage, like healing from moves such as Drain Punch or Giga Drain or recoil damage from moves such as Double-Edge or Wild Charge. A Substitute also prevents most status moves, like Leech Seed, Toxic, Hypnosis, Thunder Wave, etc. from connecting with the Pokémon behind the substitute, and also prevents secondary effects like status effects or stat drops from an attack that hits a Substitute, but it does not prevent indirect damage such as weather, poison, burn, Curse, Leech Seed, etc. (though a lot of these, like poison and Leech Seed, require that the indirect damage in question starts before the Substitute goes up, others, like weather, can start happening regardless of whether or not a Substitute exists), nor does a Substitute prevent the Pokémon behind it from deducting its own HP to use moves like Curse (as a Ghost), Belly Drum, or Mind Blown (though not Substitute itself, as it fails if used while a Substitute already exists), taking recoil damage from moves like Double-Edge and Wild Charge, reducing its own stats or afflicting itself with status conditions by using certain moves (such as Close Combat or Outrage), or taking damage from self-attacking by confusion (though, again, the confusion usually has to be inflicted before the Substitute goes up). These are all things that should be known by competitive Pokémon players, and they may not be relevant to the damage calculator (though it may do things like change 6HKOs to 7HKOs, I'm not sure). Where it gets interesting is when Substitute is ignored or transferred.

Pokémon with Infiltrator bypass an opponent's Substitute with any move they use, and sound-based moves bypass Substitute regardless of whether or not their user has Infiltrator. This means that the damage calculation will be the same regardless of whether or not a Substitute exists. Also, while a Substitute usually vanishes immediately when the Pokémon behind it is switched out (or when it faints), it stays in place if the Pokémon behind it was switched out by using Baton Pass. When this happens, the Substitute's HP remains the same as it was when the Pokémon behind it used Baton Pass and exited the field, but a Substitute does not have defensive stats of its own; the damage a Substitute takes from an attack is determined by the type, Defense/Special Defense, Ability, and held item of the Pokémon which is currently behind it (as well as global modifiers such as weather and terrain). This means that Baton Pass can be used to give a Pokémon a Substitute with more HP than a Substitute that Pokémon could create itself could have, and that a Pokémon can get a Substitute without sacrificing any of its own HP. While this scenario will not come up in most Smogon-based battles due to our Baton Pass clause, people will use this calculator for battles with or without that clause. So we need to be able to factor in damage based strictly on the HP the Substitute itself has, using the type, stats, Ability, and held item of the Pokémon behind it (we don't really need to worry about damage in excess of a Substitute's HP, since that isn't transferred to the Pokémon behind it). A Substitute could be broken in one hit when its original creator is attacked, but that same attack could fail to break that same Substitute if it is transferred to another Pokémon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)