Gen 4: Giratina Forme Glitch

xJoelituh

Banned deucer.
Bringing this up from RoA and after some testing myself: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/new-platinum-glitch-giratina-forme-change-stat-glitch.3604281/

Before anything else, this glitch is Platinum exclusive but it seems it was legal in Wifi anyway.

French site that first documented this

Quoting from the website:
The french site explains "After that, as long as you do not change its held item outside of the PC it will remain in this form, even when saving. Even better, before the DS online services closed, it could be used online, whether in HG/SS, or by transferring it to D/P. Imagine sporting a Giratina with Choice Band and the stats of the Origin Forme!"
This is the spread I used for this testing(Don't mind this, is the Physical attacker set from Gira-O):
EVs: 84 HP / 216 Atk / 96 SpD / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature

That means:

Giratina Alternate:

Level 100.
Ability: Pressure
Item: None
HP: 462
Attack: 319
Defense: 276
Special Attack: 212
Special Defense: 300
Speed: 244

Giratina Origin:

Level 100.
Ability: Levitate
Item: Griseous Orb
Attack: 363
Defense: 236
Special Attack: 248
Special Defense: 260
Speed: 244​

If we perform this fast glitch, changing their items on the PC while on our Party we will get:

Giratina Alternate:

Level 100.
Ability: Pressure
Item: None
Attack: 363
Defense: 236
Special Attack: 248
Special Defense: 260
Speed: 244

Giratina Origin:

Level 100.
Ability: Levitate
Item: Griseous Orb
Attack: 319
Defense: 276
Special Attack: 212
Special Defense: 300
Speed: 244​

Now the question is, should we allow this on DPP Ubers? It could be quite annoying just for the fact that you won't exactly wouldn't know which Giratina is really and which base stats has. You could be facing more bulky Gira-O or way stronger Gira-A(Choice sets with those stats looks really cool).

You cannot transfer this to later generations just for the fact that in order to transfer from DPP to B/W, they have to be in the Box itself, and if you do that, their stats get reset to normal.

(Also I don't exactly know how we could implement this in the teambuilder, maybe a button to change their base stats to the other form?)

Gallery with All Stats

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
on one hand, i wanna say let dpp uber be the way it is, there arent many players left and their afficionados might as well play it the way they've been doing it for years now

on the other hand, rby ou had a much bigger playerbase accustomed to playing with body slam paralysing normal types, and when the mechanic change came up to light, they stayed true to the game and adapted

the difference here is implementing a glitch vs. implementing the correct & original mechanic, but there are a lot of examples where players deal with in-game glitches affecting competitive play

rby has a bunch of glitches/oversights (random misses, sleep overwriting status after hbeam come to mind)
gsc has the stats rolling over (stats boosts behind screen, marowak)
adv has the sleep talk shenanigans

but these tiers have regular and official representation (spl, wcop, classic), while dpp uber is mainly played for fun in uber PLs and between friends, so like, i could easily see why it'd more of a hassle than anything to implement this change

Last edited:

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
McMeghan this isn't equivalent to a mechanics change, moreso a legality change. consider this more similar to the Cleric Clause that's inofficially implemented: you can enter a RBY game with your chansey pre-burned to avoid it getting frozen, but we do not allow for that. this'd be similar. the game allows you to enter with giratina-hybridA or giratina-hybridO, but we as a community do not have to allow this, as it can be banned in the teambuilder.

i do agree that this doesn't really demand a change to PS though from a smogon perspective as DPP Ubers no longer sees official tournament representation. one argument could be made though that with Smogon Championship being a thing, DPP Ubers now does play a part in official tours. idk if dpp ubers would actually give points but shrug

regardless my stance would be to not implement this change

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just to clarify on McMeghan and Isa posts, there are several users that are putting a Ubers Classic together, which would give Smogon Championship points and include DPP Ubers. I don't think this necessarily changes anything as to if this should be implemented or not.

Pretty much the same argument I made in the DPP Arceus legality thread applies here. However, it wouldn't seem consistent to ever implement something like this and not Arceus. Either you keep the tier in a time bubble and continue to play it as most of the DPP Ubers players prefer, or you play with everything that is legally obtainable.

I don't really see this going through.

Zarel

Not a Yuyuko fan
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Pokemon Researcheris an Administrator
Creator of PS
Smogon's Gen 4 tiers officially use HGSS mechanics, don't they?

At least that's how PS has been working.

edit: Oh, wait, apparently it's possible to transfer to HGSS and use in Wifi, that's different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)