GBU Research week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi there.

I will be stealing this from LC and NU.Welcome to the next variation of research week , Global Battle Union style! With such an unexplored metagame of GBU research week is a perfect project here.

For those who don't know what research week is here a quick run up of it.
Research Week attempts to investigate Pokemon who have potential, be it in stats, movepool, or supporting their team, to serve as an innovative choice in today's metagames of GBU.These are Pokemon that, for the most part, remain relatively untested. Solace and I have selected 4 pokemon to begin Research Week that have potential. Research week despite the misleading title will last as long as the discussion does.

Feel free to post here about the pokemon that has any value but be intelligent when you post.

Here are a few protocols to keep in mind:
- Test, Test, and how about test some more?
- Open minded is the key here
- Think of what the pokemon does well and what good teammates it can flow well with.
- Want to suggest pokemon for a Future Research week. PM me.
- We are not just exploring the more lime lighted doubles and Singles, but Triples and Rotation as well.

With out further ado here are our research-ees:

Druddigon is a highly overlooked dragon type. Druddigon can make use of all its abilities. Has access to various moves. With a base 120 Attack stat it can hurt many things that don't resist its STAB Outrage. With its pure dragon typing it does not have a 4x weakness to ice and is neutral to rock which plagues our friends Dragonite and Salamence. Decent defensive stats and good typing makes it also able to tank and phaze. Lackluster speed is a big issued but can be overcome with Trick Room.

Masquerain is a overlooked run of the mill -Flying/bug type. This however true, Masquerain has a couple tricks and niches up its sleeve. It the usable ability intimidate that lets it take hits a little easier. On the offensive side Masquerain has one of the best stat raising move in the game; Quiver Dance. Masquerain can also back this up by backing it up with useful moves like Hydro Pump, STAB Bug Buzz, Ice Beam, and STAB Air Slash.

Mr.Mime is an awesome pokemon. He can be a very effective tank. With an the ability of filter all super effective moves are powered down. Mr.Mime has several niches and moves. It has access to Baton Pass, Trick, Dual Screening, and several other viable moves. Mr.Mime can have its time to shine with Triples. Having access Quick and Wide Guard, this can stop common moves being used. Mr.Mime should definitively is a subject that should be Researched extensively.

Cradily is similar to Gastrodon but can do other things Gastrodon can not. Both its defensive stats are significantly higher. Cradily has the awesome abilty of storm drain which will draw in all water moves and raise its Special Attack! Having water moves useless is a powerful thing to have especially in doubles and Triples. With its walk typing it can also make use of sandstorm boosting Special Defense and wearing down opponents. Cradily can both being a Offensive and Defensive threat.

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Druddigon is amazing for GBU Doubles, as priority Sucker Punch, great bulk, and the ability to work in TR makes it an amazing Dragon-type

The other Pokemon i cant wait to test out

I often underestimate Druddigon due to the unexpected outrages that it hits my team with and am constantly getting my psychic types revenge killed with sucker punch. I may have to test him out. Cradily's abillity to not be able to be phazed out with roar due to suction cups is often overlooked as well, which I enjoy taking advantage of at times, although I'll definitely need to test out storm drain with my sandstorm team.

Cradily can easily be one of most underlooked pokemon ever, with instant sp.def boost in sandstorm, stockpile, giga drain and recover/synthesis. The others I dont know, but I use cradily a lot, and it has potentail as one of the most annoying stallers ever. I could test the others out if you'd like, can't garuntee it would go well though.

soul_survivor

VGCPL Champion
Druddigon is often overlooked because of its horrid speed not realizing with the right support it can excel. It can find its way in bulkyparalysis teams, or trickroom in doubles. Give it a lifeorb and its suckerpunches become a force to wreckon with, and if thunderwave is spread properly the more faster mons are going to be suffering a beatdown.

When it comes to the mons listed above, all it takes is a little team support and they can all excel. Look at Huy's vgc team, Infinity.Cyphers doubles rmt, and Alphabet123 use of psyduck.

I am glad there is some interest going on in here ,hopefully it can pick up a bit more ;)

I also have to agree that Cradily is an awesome overlooked Pokemon immensly over shadowed by Gastrodon. Cradily can do pretty much everything that Gastrodon can but better in some things. Like Gastrodon Cradily also can be used in Rain and Sand effectively. Unlike the sea slug, in sand Cradily becomes a monster of a SpDef wall.

I hope to start seeing some nice sets soon!

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
well i went ahead and used a pretty cool druddigon set and got a nice match on the gbu for doubles

although i won 3-0, i dont think the score was indicative of the match as it was definitely a tough one, and my opponent Hailey used Pokemon that were waaaaaay bulkier than I expected them to be.

90-96665-97686

my druddigon set is one that was used a bit in VGC 2011, with snatch, sucker punch, dragon claw, and protect as the moves. i'll post the full set later and also try out a few other mons, but i thought i'd share this first ^_^

Nice thread, really.
Cradily has been one of my favorite grass-types since its release in gen 3 and I'm
pretty curious how it performs in the GBU metagame.
Masquerain could also be interesting enough to play around with,
I think I'll have to breed a bit :-D

The cradily worked out nicely, I got a few wins stalling someone out in sandstorm with this:
Cradily@leftovers(suction cups)
Nature: bold(+defense,-sp.atk)
EV's: 252 Hp/200 defense/52 sp.atk
-giga drain
-toxic
-stockpile
-recover

In sandstorm this thing is almost impossible to kill. It can get 3 stockpiles up while gaining 6% hp back each turn (without counting however much health giga drain gives you when you use it, or recover) and getting a sp.def boost from the sand. There's also no pokemon that isnt affected by giga drain, toxic, and sandstorm so there's not many pokemon that can wall this, ferrothorn being the arch enemy. The reason I put suction cups on it and not storm drain is because I didn't want to have 3 stockpiles up and then get switched out by whirlwind skarmory or something else.

So I tried to go the rather frustrating road alongside with the masked bug :-)
Just kidding, Masquerain performed a lot better than I expected it to do

The set

Masquerain@Focus Sash
Intimidate
timid nature
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

Quiver Dance
Hydro Pump
Bug Buzz
Icebeam

The main decision while building the set was to go for either BP or
a sweeper. I preferred the latter. Intimidate is a great ability and
really helps with the setup, ground immunity and 4x resistance to fighting
and grass don't hurt either.
Masquerains special offensive movepool isn't that bad as f.e. Volcarona's
with Icebeam, Bug Buzz, Hydro Pump, Air Slash, Energy Ball and Shadow Ball
to name the most important ones.
This and the it's slightly better chances to switch in and setup than
other prominent quiver dancing bugs have are it's main selling points.
The downside is that Masquerain's poor stats really need the +2 boost
to be as effective as Volcarona or Venomoth are at +1 (this is what the
sash is for)
At +1 this set workes out quite okay, at +2 Masquerain is surprisingly powerful.

If I manage to get a more interesting battle video I'll share it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)