GBU CCAT (Triples) Step 1

Which metagame would you like to build a team for?

• Singles

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • Doubles

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Triples

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Rotation

Votes: 5 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So, the vote ended up with Triples! For this week, we'll be nominating and voting on a Pokemon that we'd want to definitely be using on our team. It can serve any kind of role, as long as its not an extremely common Pokemon. We want to be using something different here!

The nomination process will last for a few days, and then a poll will go up with the best 4 candidates.

Solace

royal flush
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
okay so change of plans!

since vgc is fittingly doing a doubles ccat, we'll be doing triples since as other people have brought up, its a unique metagame to GBU.

so joel if you want to change your post if you have better triples ideas that works too :)

Putting my vote(s) in for Rotom-Fan, Starmie, and Lucario.

Let's go for Gravity abuse......

Starmie @ Focus Sash (Center Lead)
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpAtk/252 Speed/4 HP
Moveset:
-Gravity
-Hydro Pump
-Blizzard
-Thunder

Starmie is the fastest of all the Gravity abusers. Focus Sash is hold item of choice, in case Scarfers attempt to OHKO.

With Gravity comes an accuracy boost for Starmie's base 120 moves, and can set up for the likes of normally gimmicky Pokes, such as GrassWhistle Whimsicott, and ExtremeSpeed Togekiss (HustleKiss).

(Maybe I can at least get points for creativity here?)

(IMO) The most fallen from grace Poke from Gen 4 to Gen 5......

Rotom-Fan @ Ice Gem (Outside Lead)
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 SpAtk/4 Def
Moveset:
-Air Slash
-Hidden Power Ice
-Thunder
-Protect

Rotom-Fan...The forme made for Triples. Since Rotom-Fan hits on the Special side relatively hard, has good bulk, and has a STAB move that can hit non-adjacent Pokes, it can have a great many uses in Triples.

Electric/Flying (iirc) can hit everything bar Ground/Rock typing for at least neutral damage, which HP Ice covers.

Lucario @ Fighting Gem (Outside Lead)
Ability: Inner Focus
Nature: Modest
Moveset:
-Vacuum Wave
-Aura Sphere
-Dark Pulse
-Dragon Pulse/Protect

Most people go Physical with Lucario, but with Luke's move pool, it does great going Special in Triples.

Fighting Gem + Vacuum Wave can put serious dents, or even OHKO's on the likes of Tyranitar, Ferrothorn, and Excadrill before they can do anything that's noteworthy.

Fighting/Dark attacks go unresisted by anything, and Luke's other three moves can all hit non/adjacent Pokes.

polop

Would you look at the time?
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hitmontop!
name: Triples Support
move 1: Fake Out
move 2: Mach Punch / Close Combat
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Detect / Wide Guard
item: Life Orb / Sitrus Berry
ability: Intimidate
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe

Wide Guard is a great move in the triples metagame, and blocks stuff like Surf. Hitmontop gets Fake Out and Intimidate in conjunction with Wide Guard making it a great supporter for just about anything! Gets really good coverage in Fighting Dark.

Also nominating Togekiss!
name: Tailwind Support
move 1: Follow Me
move 2: Air Slash
move 3: Tailwind
move 4: Protect / Roost
item: Sitrus Berry
nature: Calm
ability: Serene Grace
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD

Togekiss's good defenses ensure that it will get Tailwind up barring hax or spamming of multiple Surfs that are rain boosted. Its access to Follow Me and Air Slash make it a great supporter, capable of tanking hits or just Flinch Haxing an enemy after doubling the teams speed. Also perfect for Trolling Ludicolo but thats just me.

Also unlike Joel's post, these mons can or cannot be used together. I don't really have the whole centering thing planned out yet but thats what a CCAT is for riiiight?

On a random sidenote that Starmie looks awesome.

Here is a good triples set I came up for the project I am nominating. Pretty fun to use and can be very successful with right team support.

Sceptile@ Flying Gem
Rash
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 SpAtk
Overgrow/ Unburden ( use it if it's released)

- Acrobatics
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Leaf Storm/ Giga Drain/ Hidden Power Ice

Sceptile has the useful niche in Triples of acrobatics. Granted this he is able to stike any Pokemon he fancies. Next in the set is he use of leech seed. With his being used in triples, Sceptile can leech several Pokemon according to bulbapedia. Sceptile will get the rare pleasure of leech seed stacking.With a large amount of recovery coming in constantly, Sceptile can fire off as many substitutes as he wishes. Annoying and drawing the oppenets focus onto him. Last moves just a filler. Leaf Storm or Giga Drain for STAB, the latter being for a recovery option. Hidden power Ice is for a larger coverage area taking down dragonites, Salamence, and Garchomp.

Here's something I've been using in Triples to a great degree of success.

Gastrodon (Center Lead)
name: Surf Abuser
move 1: Muddy Water / Surf
move 2: Earth Power
move 3: Ice Beam / Blizzard
move 4: Protect / Recover
nature: Modest / Quiet (Trick Room)
item: Rindo Berry
ability: Storm Drain
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def

Works best on Rain teams. The idea is to absorb two Surfs from your sidelines (thus averting damage from friendly fire) and finish off any remaining opponents with Muddy Water. Since he's slow enough, he can usually take both Surfs and can get +2 SpA.

Muddy Water's 85 acc can be a liability at times, but does not hit your allies. (+2 Surf in the Rain hurts like hell even if it's resisted) Rindo is there to prevent a KO against most Grass-type Attacks.

Bump for justice.

Only one more day for this. Surely there are some other ideals out there.

Just in case we end up short on leads, I'll give other options/nominations.

Another leading trio...

Rotom-Refrigerator (side Lead) @ Ice Gem/Electric Gem/Dark Gem
Nature: Timid (+Speed/-Atk)
Moveset:
-Blizzard
-Discharge/Thunderbolt
-Dark Pulse
-Protect

All over distruction. Blizzard and Discharge hit two (or three) of the opponents Pokes at once, and Dark Pulse hits non-adjacent Pokes.

Gyarados (center lead) @ Wacan Berry
Nature: Careful (+SpDef/-SpAtk)
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpDef/4 Def
Moveset:
-Waterfall
-Icy Wind
-Stone Edge/Earthqu
-Protect

Yes, my creative Poke of this trio. Support Gyarados. Helps out versus anything faster than your leads. Wacan Berry + Careful nature + Intimidate provides great bulk, and can actually survive an attack from the likes of Rotom, Jolteon, and Electros. Waterfall + Stone Edge/Earthquake still deal good amounts of damage without any invesment and have great coverage.

Infernape (side lead) @ Fire Gem
Nature: Timid/Naive/Hasty (+Speed/Not -SpAtk)
Ability: Blaze
Moveset:
-Fake Out
-Heat Wave
-Vacuum Wave
-Focus Blast/Grass Knot/Hidden Power Ice

Speed, flinching ability, priority, and can hit two (or three) `mons at a time. Last moveslot is up to preference. Focus Blast for a more poweful STAB, Grass Kmnot for the Gastrodon and Seismitoad I seem to always see on rain teams, or Hidden Power Ice for Dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)